Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do the Patriots ALWAYS get the best deals.

SilentHill

Hidden

And thats a perfectly legitimate opinion to have. But lets be honest. Opposing fans always try to tell us that the move the Patriots made to get a questionable guy would rip them apart. Thats been the case a few times now, and it just hasnt happened yet. So its of our opinion that without the high financial risk that we would be on the hook for should it not work out, it would be easy to rectify a situation should things ever turn sour. We have precedent for not having to be worried about a move like this...I'm just surprised that the same precedent isnt being used for rival fans who try to tell us once again that the sky will fall.

Patriots fans are all aware of the concerns that a move like this brings. We are just willing to accept those concerns with a trade off of high potential, with the understanding that should things go bad, it wont be a big deal to cut him. Thats the definitiion of low-risk, and thats the perspective we are choosing to take.

The point is we just dont know how it will turn out, and its intrigueing to think about. I dont know, you dont know...none of us know. But we've been through it enough to know not to worry when an opposing fan pulls the same old song and dance whenever something like this comes up. It may rip apart another team, but not this team. If theres one thing we know from watching them over the years, its that they wouldnt have made the deal if there was as high a risk as some are trying to put make it sound like.

I can understand your perspective,because you must embrace all patriots...for better or worse.I just think that 'BB' is reaching with this one.And fat al has stated numerous times that he prefers not to play in a 3-4 defensive system.I'm not even sure how he will figure into the mix or rotation since his skill set is limited.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part,i like what we've done at the DT position(adding nevis and pressley).However,i would like to obtain a cheap tommie harris;he's low risk...high reward.

how could anyone who watches the colts be happy about the dt position?? way to aim low....and i mean real low

Hidden

how could anyone who watches the colts be happy about the dt position?? way to aim low....and i mean real low

We sign cheap rotational players that fit our system...always have and always will.We DO NOT have that much cap room to sign these megastars that everybody seems to want.If we add tommie,then that position is solid(a.johnson,moala,nevis,matthews,pressley and hopefully harris).

Here are some recent Colts 5th round draft picks:

06 Micheal Toudouze

07 Roy Hall

08 Marcus Howard

09 (end of 4th) Terrence Taylor

10 Brody Eldridge

The Patriots once again have shown they are ahead of the curve. This is a possible AFC changing move. If it doesnt work out then he's cut, out, done, bye bye. But if it does work. That is an unbelievable line.

Rodney Harrison, Moss, the Seymour trade, this.

I can understand your perspective,because you must embrace all patriots...for better or worse.I just think that 'BB' is reaching with this one.And fat al has stated numerous times that he prefers not to play in a 3-4 defensive system.I'm not even sure how he will figure into the mix or rotation since his skill set is limited.

Because they don't only play 3-4. Thats a thing of the past. 4-3 one down, 3-4 another, 2-5 another...you get the drift.

Hidden

Because they don't only play 3-4. Thats a thing of the past. 4-3 one down, 3-4 another, 2-5 another...you get the drift.

Way toooo much work for fat al to comprehend.His head will burst meatballs!HAHAHA

The Patriots play a two-gap 3-4. I'm fairly sure that Washington plays a one-gap.

Wilfork played a lot at DE last season. Haynesworth may do that too. Or they may use him in sub-packages. Who knows?

Belichick doesn't take players and jam them into his system at all costs. He takes his players' strengths and he builds the system around them.

I'm not saying Big Al is going to work out or not. No one knows. But it's like buying a scratch ticket. You only give up a buck or two and maybe you lose that money. But maybe you hit it big, too.

So, it's obvious now but an hour or so ago it was only the Pats, Eagles and perhaps a few other teams that do that?

Through-out the lockout there were player personnel people talking about they've watched film on every possible free agent/cut player numerous times.

The answer to the question (if one wants to assume that getting Haynesworth is a good deal, I for one am glad to see him go to the Pats), is because BB and the personnel people are not afraid to be wrong. Bottom line. Kraft has the money to pay these people and if they don't work out, BB moves on, if they do work out then BB looks like a genius. The fact is for every Randy Moss type move the Pats make they make two moves like Stallworth and Colvin.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach and if a team is able to do that and stay under the cap and stay competitive then more power to them. It's not because the Pats organization does something more or better than many other organizations. (Other than illegally taping but that's another story. :neener: Had to throw that in there.)

reading is your friend, my friend. I said "earlier than other teams". They did a special on this a couple years ago. Why are the patriots ONE of the few teams first to pull the trigger. Btw I believe the Packers were another such team. So yes, all teams scout..some just quicker:)

I don't think in terms of BB is a genius IF said player works out. I think he's a genius, or rather smart in getting as many weapons as possible and see who works out. Thus there will be more hits and losses by default. It's all about the bigger the arsenal in training camp the better.

Haynes might not even make it out of training camp.

As a wargamer myself I'm all over the more choices/quality reserves the better;)

Whatever, if the Colts had made this move the fans/this board would KILL THEM on it.....Terrible work ethic, multiple criminal offenses, etc. We'd here the old "we don't take that kind of player" stuff....give me a break. We have some solid DTs that fit our scheme and drafted another who could be a difference maker...

we have solid dt's that fit our scheme???? i guess if the scheme calls for getting pushed off the line every play, the our dt's fit the bill. keep drinking the kool aid.

The Patriots play a two-gap 3-4. I'm fairly sure that Washington plays a one-gap.

Wilfork played a lot at DE last season. Haynesworth may do that too. Or they may use him in sub-packages. Who knows?

Belichick doesn't take players and jam them into his system at all costs. He takes his players' strengths and he builds the system around them. I'm not saying Big Al is going to work out or not. No one knows. But it's like buying a scratch ticket. You only give up a buck or two and maybe you lose that money. But maybe you hit it big, too.

Amen. That's his trademark and THAT IS what makes him sooooooooo good :)

Hidden

Hahhhahha

Peyton can make any coach look good, but unfortunately thats not enough and you cant underestimate the improtance of coaching in this league...as we all now know

What the heck,...i'll say it.We've had two easily controlled token b&^$* g$^# in a row.This is mainly because we all know that '18' is basically the real coach(spoken or not,its true).We have to keep signing such coaches in order to keep manning happy and it also makes our 'PR' look great,so its a 'win' 'win' situation.But i would sure like to have a real coach that can contribute something of use.

we have solid dt's that fit our scheme???? i guess if the scheme calls for getting pushed off the line every play, the our dt's fit the bill. keep drinking the kool aid.

i have yet to understand why people are ok with our DT'S...i guess they like giving up 120 yds per game and being in the lower 3rd of the league for the last 10 years in run defense

We sign cheap rotational players that fit our system...always have and always will.We DO NOT have that much cap room to sign these megastars that everybody seems to want.If we add tommie,then that position is solid(a.johnson,moala,nevis,matthews,pressley and hopefully harris).

we sign cheap players that stink. nobody is saying to sign someone to huge redskins contract, but if polian didn't overpay for bracket and hayden maybe the colts could afford to pay a decent dt.

What the heck,...i'll say it.We've had two easily controlled token b&^$* g$^# in a row.This is mainly because we all know that '18' is basically the real coach(spoken or not,its true).We have to keep signing such coaches in order to keep manning happy and it also makes our 'PR' look great,so its a 'win' 'win' situation.But i would sure like to have a real coach that can contribute something of use.

EJN my friend, I wouldn't go off on Coach Dungy . . . indeed the Colts turn around started in 2003 (the year after Dungy arrived along with a few players) and NOT 1998 . . . in fact the colts from 1998-2002 did not look that much different than the colts from 1993-1997 . . ., in fact the 1998-2002 colts caused their coach to have the following presser . . .

, when coach Dungy arrived and a few players added the colts took off and became a powerful with PM helping out in that endeavor . . . to say that one player, or even a set of players, can carry a bad coach over a long period of time is hogwash, every great team have BOTH great players and a great coach(s) . . . Caldwell's resume is still to be written, but TD's resume really can't be challenged . . .

as for the pats "always" getting the good deals . . . i think part of it has to due with, as some have said, the pats willing to takes chances and do so with low risk and high potential, and when the deal works out, all some see is tghe high potential results . . . the others that don't work out, people just view it as no lost after all . . .however we have had some trades do south and lost draft picks to players that only stick around a day, or justg TC, or part of season . . .

i think it helps too to a degree that we have had success to some players will be more willing to come to the pats as opposed to going to Buffalo . . .

I'm still iffy on this. Haynesworth wanted to get out of the 3-4, but he goes to the Pats. I've heard he might play a lot of DE, but Haynesworth wants to be a DT in a 4-3 so he can boost his sack stats. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

The Pats (as was said earlier) are way more willing to take on a riskier player than the Colts. The Colts would never have gone after Ocho, Moss or Haynesworth.

Well then, looks like quite the discussion.

Pats taking this chance on Haynesworth is a win win win. Win for the possibility, win for the low risk and win for the "mythos" that is Pats GM/coaching. If he works out, Pats are geniuses, if he fails, Pats risked little and lost little. Smart move overall.

However, seeing tangible results will be interesting to say the least. Let's skip the fact that Haynesworth has a lack of hustle, and assume he's going to do well. How will this impact the rest of the DL for the Pats? They have Wilfork, but aside from the two of them ganging up on the heads of opponents, we don't know how the two will do together nor will we know how Haynesworth will be used. Wait and see.

In terms of the Colts DTs. I'm excited. Granted its my opinion. We've drafted well. I feel we've gone for some great rotational players in different scenarios. But for the sake of caving to the majority of the fanbase commenting on this thread, I'll adjust my opinion:

"POLIAN IS TEH WURST GM EVUR! HE NEEEEEDS DRAFT ALL TEH STARZZZES ND PAID DEM LEEEG VET MINZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!"

Sorry. Polian has drafted incredibly well. The fact that he has only 1 Superbowl win is more an indication to all kinds of factors (not relating to his skill as a drafting GM) that are needed in winning a SB as a team.

Fans are entitled to their opinions, which make forums great, but sometimes you gotta pull a face palm w/ some comments.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2636/albert-haynesworth

I would have given a 5th round pick to have haynesworth in our defense. Another Randy Moss scenario for the pats. Getting star players that have gas left in the tank for next to nothing. I wish the Colts would get off their * and make a play for SOMETHING good this offseason. All of our rival teams are getting better and we're sitting on our hands.

You know what's going to happen, right?... Belichick is going to make Haynesworth look attractive in the eyes of other teams, then trade him away for a 2nd-3rd round pick. To Belichick, Haynesworth is just a draft pick project. Belichick has no loyalty to his players. He simply grooms them, then trades them.

Btw, this New England Patriots fan looks really excited! :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIykmXV0uj4

Hidden

we sign cheap players that stink. nobody is saying to sign someone to huge redskins contract, but if polian didn't overpay for bracket and hayden maybe the colts could afford to pay a decent dt.

I agree with the brackett statement;he's way overpriced.But hayden is an elite corner(top 5 at his position).I'm not sure 'why' everybody just wants to throw him under the bus.He's a large reason 'why' we won the superbowl and he always makes big plays for us.When teams throw his way...they usually pay for it.If we cut him,...then its a mistake.He's our best DB by far.

As far as our DTS are concerned,i'm not worried about it.The main reason 'why' our defense gets ran on so much is because our sack first DES run themselves out of plays, and in the process create massive running lanes that our weak LB core can't fill or react to.That being said 'harris' would make a great additon if he could stay healthy.

I feel we've gone for some great rotational players in different scenarios. But for the sake of caving to the majority of the fanbase commenting on this thread, I'll adjust my opinion:

"POLIAN IS TEH WURST GM EVUR! HE NEEEEEDS DRAFT ALL TEH STARZZZES ND PAID DEM LEEEG VET MINZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!"

Sorry. Polian has drafted incredibly well. The fact that he has only 1 Superbowl win is more an indication to all kinds of factors (not relating to his skill as a drafting GM) that are needed in winning a SB as a team.

Fans are entitled to their opinions, which make forums great, but sometimes you gotta pull a face palm w/ some comments.

I gotta agree.

Polian's biggest obstacle has been the fact that he pays one guy (#18) about $141,000,000,000,000 a week.

I feel we've gone for some great rotational players in different scenarios. But for the sake of caving to the majority of the fanbase commenting on this thread, I'll adjust my opinion:

I gotta agree.

Polian's biggest obstacle has been the fact that he pays one guy (#18) about $141,000,000,000,000 a week.

Never thought I'd say this, but maybe it's better if Peyton was given his walking papers. I want to see us put money into other positions and see how we do. Imagine a fabulous Devin Hester return man!... a stout Pittsburg defense!... a first round pick for Andrew Luck in next year's draft!... Oh, wait.

Nah, but seriously, I can't wait for Manning to retire so we can point to New England fans and say, "SEE! We're not going 11-5 this season despite missing OUR starting quarterback!"

Maybe the way the Pats get players at such a discount price is they borrow a page from the 49ers of the 80s. Basically, it is like this "We are going to give you 200k a year. But here is a briefcase under the table. When I walk away, it is yours to keep. Just sign right here...". lol jk

Maybe the way the Pats get players at such a discount price is they borrow a page from the 49ers of the 80s. Basically, it is like this "We are going to give you 200k a year. But here is a briefcase under the table. When I walk away, it is yours to keep. Just sign right here...". lol jk

And then once they sign, Belichick comes in, says, "Congratulations! You're now an Oakland Raider!" And the player says, "W-What!?!" And Belichick snorts, "That's right, we traded you for a draft pick! Haven't you heard?... Everything I touch turns to gold!"

I agree with the brackett statement;he's way overpriced.But hayden is an elite corner(top 5 at his position).I'm not sure 'why' everybody just wants to throw him under the bus.He's a large reason 'why' we won the superbowl and he always makes big plays for us.When teams throw his way...they usually pay for it.If we cut him,...then its a mistake.He's our best DB by far.

As far as our DTS are concerned,i'm not worried about it.The main reason 'why' our defense gets ran on so much is because our sack first DES run themselves out of plays, and in the process create massive running lanes that our weak LB core can't fill or react to.That being said 'harris' would make a great additon if he could stay healthy.

Oh dear. EJN strikes again. Our DT's are fine and Hayden top 5 CB my *.

You just put the words Hayden Elite and Corner all in the same sentence. He is not an Elite corner he goes from Okay to wth in some games.

as for the pats "always" getting the good deals . . . i think part of it has to due with, as some have said, the pats willing to takes chances and do so with low risk and high potential, and when the deal works out, all some see is tghe high potential results . . . the others that don't work out, people just view it as no lost after all . . .however we have had some trades do south and lost draft picks to players that only stick around a day, or justg TC, or part of season . . .

i think it helps too to a degree that we have had success to some players will be more willing to come to the pats as opposed to going to Buffalo . . .

I think they also take these chances in recent years because they can afford to. I don't mean dollar wise but depth wise. In other words they're not counting on them do or die.

Many have been cut in preseason.

Playing for the NE organization prolly has an effect on these players too. Not to mention BB personally scouts these people.