Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do the Patriots ALWAYS get the best deals.

SilentHill

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2636/albert-haynesworth

I would have given a 5th round pick to have haynesworth in our defense. Another Randy Moss scenario for the pats. Getting star players that have gas left in the tank for next to nothing. I wish the Colts would get off their * and make a play for SOMETHING good this offseason. All of our rival teams are getting better and we're sitting on our hands.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have given a 5th round pick to have haynesworth in our defense. Another Randy Moss scenario for the pats. Getting star players that have gas left in the tank for next to nothing. I wish the Colts would get off their * and make a play for SOMETHING good this offseason. All of our rival teams are getting better and we're sitting on our hands.

this is ridiculous. the colts couldnt spend a lousy 5th round pick to give us pressure in the middle. its like they want us to continue to have horrible DT play

I am sure the Colts didn't want the drama from this player. The difference between the Pats and Colts, the Colts won't take players with issues, where the Pats don't care.

I don't see him turning into a Moss. He didn't even play last year. Guy like that, just sitting and whining isn't going to be in that great of shape.

I am surprised we have yet to see the Colts do anything with FA's....With the talk they might this year.

I am sure the Colts didn't want the drama from this player. The difference between the Pats and Colts, the Colts won't take players with issues, where the Pats don't care.

I don't see him turning into a Moss. He didn't even play last year. Guy like that, just sitting and whining isn't going to be in that great of shape.

I am surprised we have yet to see the Colts do anything with FA's....With the talk they might this year.

Rany Moss had issues in Oakland, but when he was brought to a contending team and was getting looks he became issue free. It lasted a few years and then they got rid of him.

IMHO Colts NEED to take a risk like this.... low low risk with the potential for VERY high reward.

this is ridiculous. the colts couldnt spend a lousy 5th round pick to give us pressure in the middle. its like they want us to continue to have horrible DT play

D Say what u will, buyt i tell u hed love to go against our division and especially trhe titans in a 4-3 with our bookends, just may motivate him to stomp on the enemy ( heads ) ( POOR lol )

Whatever, if the Colts had made this move the fans/this board would KILL THEM on it.....Terrible work ethic, multiple criminal offenses, etc. We'd here the old "we don't take that kind of player" stuff....give me a break. We have some solid DTs that fit our scheme and drafted another who could be a difference maker...

belichick is getting old and that haynsworth trade is a poor patriots deal. a fifth round draft pick for albert? patriots normaly would get haynsworth + 2 first round picks for their fifth rounder ;-) but seriously great trade for the patriots. low risk high potential trade.

Whatever, if the Colts had made this move the fans/this board would KILL THEM on it.....Terrible work ethic, multiple criminal offenses, etc. We'd here the old "we don't take that kind of player" stuff....give me a break. We have some solid DTs that fit our scheme and drafted another who could be a difference maker...

fit our scheme? if we really had DTs that fit our scheme why is it that our DTs always suck and if you think a rookie DT is gonna have an impact with no otas, rookie mini camp and limited time to learn the system then theres something wrong with you.

fit our scheme? if we really had DTs that fit our scheme why is it that our DTs always suck and if you think a rookie DT is gonna have an impact with no otas, rookie mini camp and limited time to learn the system then theres something wrong with you.

yea i love when ppl say we have great DT'S :sarcasm: , if our DT'S were so solid explain us being in the lower 3rd of the league in run defense for the last 10 years :locked:

u smell that?? oh its just the pats comin out smellin like roses once again..

gettin tired of the colts motto: "lets not do anything 2 rock the boat"

look peyton is our leader and if he lets haynesworth destroy that cut him and say goodbye to that 5th round pick..oh boy

gettin tired of the colts not makin moves 2 help the team cuz we wanna b better ppl than every1..give me a break..i see what irsay post on twitter..he sounds like a coke head..so lets get him fired up and make some crazy coke head trades..still got tommie harris out there:)

its simple the PATS have the best front office, a hall of fame coach, outstanding gm and owner. Put that together you get Albert Hanesworth for a fith round pick plain and simple

Not to mention the pats dont ride on their QB alone, the colts head are stuck way to far up peytons...... skils.

its simple the PATS have the best front office, a hall of fame coach, outstanding gm and owner. Put that together you get Albert Hanesworth for a fith round pick plain and simple

Not to mention the pats dont ride on their QB alone, the colts head are stuck way to far up peytons...... skils.

Hidden

An unmotivated lazy pig...isn't a steal.This PATS team now will have 2 SLOBS in the middle.And sure...they might do well for maybe 14 or 15 games,but in the playoffs they will tire and be ran over or around.This is WHY the colts don't normally obtain overly fat and slow DTS.

An unmotivated lazy pig...isn't a steal.This PATS team now will have 2 SLOBS in the middle.And sure...they might do well for maybe 14 or 15 games,but in the playoffs they will tire and be ran over or around.This is WHY the colts don't normally obtain overly fat and slow DTS.

yep..14-15 games and they magically tire afterwards. The coach rotating players in and out is of little help. A skinny guy in the middle of a 3-4 is absolutely the way to go.

Also little guys don't get tired running around, especially rushing the passer all the time..they just don't get tired.

To answer the topic, the Pats, along with the Eagles and perhaps some other teams study FA way in advance. They don;t take a wait and see approach as some teams do. They know who will probably be available and who will sign long in advance.This is all done behind the scenes.

Then when FA comes they can pull the trigger right away which you have to do these days or lose out.

Hidden

yep..14-15 games and they magically tire afterwards. The coach rotating players in and out is of little help. A skinny guy in the middle of a 3-4 is absolutely the way to go.

Also little guys don't get tired running around, especially rushing the passer all the time..they just don't get tired.

For the most part,i like what we've done at the DT position(adding nevis and pressley).However,i would like to obtain a cheap tommie harris;he's low risk...high reward.

To answer the topic, the Pats, along with the Eagles and perhaps some other teams study FA way in advance. They don;t take a wait and see approach as some teams do. They know who will probably be available and who will sign long in advance.This is all done behind the scenes.

Then when FA comes they can pull the trigger right away which you have to do these days or lose out.

Umm just about all teams do this. They even have an entire department called the Pro scouting department. Their job is to look at possible free agents, possible cuts releases, study film on them so they can make recommendations.

Hidden

Fat albert doesn't fit our system(he doesn't fit any system,but the albert system),but tommie is a near perfect fit.However tommie is injury prone.If he stayed healthy,...oh the possibilities.

Fat albert doesn't fit our system(he doesn't fit any system,but the albert system),but tommie is a near perfect fit.However tommie is injury prone.If he stayed healthy,...oh the possibilities.

I'm hoping for Mebane or Harris at this point. Anyway, I think it's a great risk/reward scenario for the Pats. Honestly I don't think Albert will perform this year, but if he doesn't the Pats have more DTs to step up. I'm also noticing that Snyder is stock-piling the later round draft picks.....a 6th for McNabb with a conditional 6th rounder and now they get a 5th rounder for Albert.

Hidden

I'm hoping for Mebane or Harris at this point. Anyway, I think it's a great risk/reward scenario for the Pats. Honestly I don't think Albert will perform this year, but if he doesn't the Pats have more DTs to step up. I'm also noticing that Snyder is stock-piling the later round draft picks.....a 6th for McNabb with a conditional 6th rounder and now they get a 5th rounder for Albert.

I just don't see what everybody else sees in Mebane.I just see a good player,but not a star.And he demands too much money.But tommie(if healthy)is a much better player and athlete.I think on our team tommie is comeback player of the year.

Thats right lol. Thats why we have a history of getting knocked out in the first or second round. We need to get bigger. We need to get stronger. I agree with what Trent Dilfer said a few months ago on inside the NFL. If we dont start bulking up, then we better start getting used to having half the team out with injuries every week. You cant win championships if ur hurt all the time.

Well you might be right, but this is also the reason we tend to get eliminated in the first or second round as history would tell us. Infact, a few times by the so called fat Patriots lol. We need to get bigger. We need to get stronger. I agree with what Trent Dilfer said on Inside the NFL a few months ago. If we dont bulk up, then we might as well get used to haveing half of our team hurt every game. There is no way we are going to win another championship if we are always hurt.

I disagree with whoever said the Patriots were fat slubs that get run over in the playoffs lol. There is a reason our team is always hurt. We relay on under sized players with to go what bigger, stronger, and about as quick players do on other teams. I am not saying that might work on the outside of the dline, but as we all have seen over the years in indy, it doesnt work in the middle. You have to have bulk and speed. That is what most teams have in the middle. Thats why we cant stop the run. Our DE's have to carry the DL. Thats not working out. The runners know to just run inside the DE spot and they have all day to run. I agree with Trent Dilfer when he said on ITN that we needed to bulk up our team. If not then we might as well get use to have half the roster sitting around hurt while the other half struggles to get a victory.

Hidden

Thats right lol. Thats why we have a history of getting knocked out in the first or second round. We need to get bigger. We need to get stronger. I agree with what Trent Dilfer said a few months ago on inside the NFL. If we dont start bulking up, then we better start getting used to having half the team out with injuries every week. You cant win championships if ur hurt all the time.

Yes,we tend to get hurt often,but i think that's partly to do with conditioning.The key is just staying healthy and this is why we will carry a lot of dts this year(mainly for rotational match-ups).

The reason why the Pats always get the best deals is because they are not scared to pull the trigger nor admit that they made a mistake.

If Albert comes in and is a malcontent the Pats will kick him to the curb and not worry about it. They grabbed Randy and when he started to lose his usefulness they got rid of him as well.

Also, BB is not a stubborn * like Shanahan. He will see what best suites Albert and put him in that position. Shanahan on the other hand came in and said this is how we do it never mind the fact that the best player on his defense does not fit the 3-4 scheme.

This is a great move by the Pats because it is little risk with most of the money being paid by the Skins with great upside. When Albert is playing his best he is a monster out there. You put Albert with Vince and you could have a deadly duo.

I do not think Albert handled his situation in Washington very well at all, but lets all be honest if we were hired to do a job and then when we started to do that job the boss completely changed our job we would be ticked off as well and would be looking for a new job.

Completely overrated and over paid.. The Colts regularly wore him out when he was with the Titans.

I agree, Fat Al got paid and I would bet the ranch he doesn't want to play anymore. just going through the motions to keep raking in what little cash is left owed to him.

I can't even imagine how much he weighs now.

Umm just about all teams do this. They even have an entire department called the Pro scouting department. Their job is to look at possible free agents, possible cuts releases, study film on them so they can make recommendations.

Well gee that's pretty obvious. I would hope one would read that's a given. Doesn't change the fact some of those pro-scout teams were identified preparing earlier than the others, Pats and Eagles is all I remember but there were a few.

Fat Al was not a FA, and NE seeks these "projects" because they have drafted so poorly the last few years.

I really can't believe all the slobbering over NE still.... they have not won anything since 04, and have not won a playoff game in 4 years. Their D the last 4 or 5 years has been "horrible" ... that is why NE went after Fat Al.

Hidden

Fat Al was not a FA, and NE seeks these "projects" because they have drafted so poorly the last few years.

I really can't believe all the slobbering over NE still.... they have not won anything since 04, and have not won a playoff game in 4 years. Their D the last 4 or 5 years has been "horrible" ... that is why NE went after Fat Al.

In the words of that guy from the movie 'groundhog's day'...BING...BING...BING AGAIN you're sharp as a tac today.HAHAHAH

Ooooohhhh so true.

We've drafted some pretty good players the last few years, and our drafts have nothing to do with why this move was made. Bill Belichick doesnt make any decision that he doesnt think is in best interest of his team. New England went after 'Fat Al' because he believes that the potential is there for him to help New England if he is able to do what is expected of him. People arent 'slobbering over New England', but this WAS the big story of the day and people are intrigued by the potential that is there while also comparing that potential to the moves their own organization has or hasnt made. Thats a normal response to a big transaction.

Let me ask you a question. Back some time ago when the Colts were losing playoff games early and often, didnt you still slobber over the Colts? Didnt the media continue to pick them? Didnt opposing fans continue to fear the Colts? You know why? Because the potential was still there. Thats why people are still picking New England and praising decisions like this...even when they have had some recent playoff struggles...because this is the 3rd time now where the Patriots took on a guy that nobody else wanted, and they did it with little risk each time and each time it worked out. People are interested in that and they wonder why no other team in the league has the sack to do it.

Well gee that's pretty obvious. I would hope one would read that's a given. Doesn't change the fact some of those pro-scout teams were identified preparing earlier than the others, Pats and Eagles is all I remember but there were a few.

So, it's obvious now but an hour or so ago it was only the Pats, Eagles and perhaps a few other teams that do that?

the Pats, along with the Eagles and perhaps some other teams study FA way in advance.

Through-out the lockout there were player personnel people talking about they've watched film on every possible free agent/cut player numerous times.

The answer to the question (if one wants to assume that getting Haynesworth is a good deal, I for one am glad to see him go to the Pats), is because BB and the personnel people are not afraid to be wrong. Bottom line. Kraft has the money to pay these people and if they don't work out, BB moves on, if they do work out then BB looks like a genius. The fact is for every Randy Moss type move the Pats make they make two moves like Stallworth and Colvin.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach and if a team is able to do that and stay under the cap and stay competitive then more power to them. It's not because the Pats organization does something more or better than many other organizations. (Other than illegally taping but that's another story. :neener: Had to throw that in there.)

Hidden

We've drafted some pretty good players the last few years, and our drafts have nothing to do with why this move was made. Bill Belichick doesnt make any decision that he doesnt think is in best interest of his team. New England went after 'Fat Al' because he believes that the potential is there for him to help New England if he is able to do what is expected of him. People arent 'slobbering over New England', but this WAS the big story of the day and people are intrigued by the potential that is there while also comparing that potential to the moves their own organization has or hasnt made. Thats a normal response to a big transaction.

Let me ask you a question. Back some time ago when the Colts were losing playoff games early and often, didnt you still slobber over the Colts? Didnt the media continue to pick them? Didnt opposing fans continue to fear the Colts? You know why? Because the potential was still there. Thats why people are still picking New England and praising decisions like this...even when they have had some recent playoff struggles...because this is the 3rd time now where the Patriots took on a guy that nobody else wanted, and they did it with little risk each time and each time it worked out. People are interested in that and they wonder why no other team in the league has the sack to do it.

However this time i believe it was a mistake.I don't think even 'BB' can motivate this cowpie.This guy is a cancer to a team and once you get it...you ain't finding a cure until next year.Even if he's cut,the damage will be done.But i must give the pats credit for taking chances.

However this time i believe it was a mistake.I don't think even 'BB' can motivate this cowpie.This guy is a cancer to a team and once you get it...you ain't finding a cure until next year.Even if he's cut,the damage will be done.But i must give the pats credit for taking chances.

And thats a perfectly legitimate opinion to have. But lets be honest. Opposing fans always try to tell us that the move the Patriots made to get a questionable guy would rip them apart. Thats been the case a few times now, and it just hasnt happened yet. So its of our opinion that without the high financial risk that we would be on the hook for should it not work out, it would be easy to rectify a situation should things ever turn sour. We have precedent for not having to be worried about a move like this...I'm just surprised that the same precedent isnt being used for rival fans who try to tell us once again that the sky will fall.

Patriots fans are all aware of the concerns that a move like this brings. We are just willing to accept those concerns with a trade off of high potential, with the understanding that should things go bad, it wont be a big deal to cut him. Thats the definitiion of low-risk, and thats the perspective we are choosing to take.

The point is we just dont know how it will turn out, and its intrigueing to think about. I dont know, you dont know...none of us know. But we've been through it enough to know not to worry when an opposing fan pulls the same old song and dance whenever something like this comes up. It may rip apart another team, but not this team. If theres one thing we know from watching them over the years, its that they wouldnt have made the deal if there was as high a risk as some are trying to put make it sound like.