Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Griff Whalen

SLILLINGTON10

Were does he stand on our WR depth chart in your eyes? I would say he has worked himself into the number 2 spot over the past couple weeks. Brazil and Rogers have been okay but Griff seems to be balling out. I would even go as far as to say he is pushing for the number 1 spot, due to the fact that Luck seems to be going to him a lot more than Hilton right now (not sure if that is by design or TY's shoulder being worse than he is letting on). Thoughts? His he Collie 2.0?

I guess my question is more, is he just a gem we had to polish a little or does he have an inside track with pep and luck. Which is driving him up the depth cart?

physical gifts yes, hands down Hilton and Rogers have him beat by a mile. However, play on field as of the last few weeks (his only real extended action) he has outplayed them both.

He had a good last game, but he only had like 40 yards the week prior. I like him in he slot, but if I'm forced to put only 2 receivers on the field, it's TY and Da'Rick all day.

physical gifts yes, hands down Hilton and Rogers have him beat by a mile. However, play on field as of the last few weeks (his only real extended action)  he has outplayed them both.

he had a good game last week, he was good in punt return 2 weeks ago and decent as a receiver, he only had about 40 yards I believe. Rogers had 6 rec for 107 yards and 2 TD's against a very good Cincy defense, which is better than any game Whalen has had so far, I like Whalen, and think he will be a good slot guy for years to come, but he is not better than Rogers imo

He had a good last game, but he only had like 40 yards the week prior. I like him in he slot, but if I'm forced to put only 2 receivers on the field, it's TY and Da'Rick all day.

he only had for catches that game against houston, with an avg over 11 yds a catch and the only wr with a td for the colts. But i think you are probably right about if you had to choose two WR because of TY and Rogers ability to take it to the house. However, on 3rd downs and longs I find myself trying to find number 17. He seems to be filling the Reggie Wayne role better than anyone else on our team.

he only had for catches that game against houston, with an avg over 11 yds a catch and the only wr with a td for the colts. But i think you are probably right about if you had to choose two WR because of TY and Rogers ability to take it to the house. However, on 3rd downs and longs I find myself trying to find number 17. He seems to be filling the Reggie Wayne role better than anyone else on our team.

Its a good situation to have. Whalen and Rogers have been huge in stepping up and opening things up more for Hilton and Luck

I guess my question is more, is he just a gem we had to polish a little or does he have an inside track with pep and luck. Which is driving him up the depth cart?

Inside track or not, he's producing. Other players got a chance before Griff and didn't produce. I think he's a hard worker who is finally getting his legs under him as a pro. End of the day, his production is all that matters.

he had a good game last week, he was good in punt return 2 weeks ago and decent as a receiver, he only had about 40 yards I believe. Rogers had 6 rec for 107 yards and 2 TD's against a very good Cincy defense, which is better than any game Whalen has had so far, I like Whalen, and think he will be a good slot guy for years to come, but he is not better than Rogers imo

Rogers against Hou only had two rec for 23 yds and against KC 4 rec for 42 yds. I am wasn't grading best game for each, I am looking for consistency.

I see PEP looking at Matchups and simpllfying things for u know who by focusing on two receivers for u know who to look for first based on the coverage. Quick throws to his Primary is what works for Andrew.

With practice practice practice and game experience together, and with just a LITTLE TIME to throw, we see our guys getting into the zones OPEN (say Halleluehuh) and our boy is improving finding that secondary target. Good stuff!

JMO, but the DAY we start getting 4+ yards a carry on a high % of our rushes (NOT the occasional long one) we start grinding up D`s, and have a consistently effective, rested D of our own. FB Utopia!

Griff looks like a very targetable piece to look for when the matchup is there.
 1-2 in targets some weeks because of those hands, just as likely 3, 4th, 5th in receptions week to week.
  The exciting thing is with experience, TY, Rogers, FleenR, Allen, Brazzil have such nice upsides lining up the stars with Andrew.

As that improves, it just makes Griffs ability to get into zones EASIER. Where Reggie is at in his career & a QB`s Dream.

The Tip of Reliable Monster O has a high probability of being reached sometime next season and will be ascending thereafter. JMO

Rogers against Hou only had two rec for 23 yds and against KC 4 rec for 42 yds. I am wasn't grading best game for each, I am looking for consistency.

Right now in the 2 games Whalen has played, he has had 45 rec yards, and 80 receiving yards and a TD. In the 3 games Rogers has played, he has had games of 107 yards, 23 yards, and 42 yards and 2 TD's. Whalen has not proved anything more than Da'Rick has

Right now in the 2 games Whalen has played, he has had 45 rec yards, and 80 receiving yards and a TD. In the 3 games Rogers has played, he has had games of 107 yards, 23 yards, and 42 yards and 2 TD's. Whalen has not proved anything more than Da'Rick has

which is still amazing they've done more on three Games than dhb has done all year

In a perfect situation, there is a #1 option. That is not always the best receiver, but the one that the QB is most comfortable with. We had that in Reggie, and it was usually were Lucks eyes went when the ball was snapped. I don't think that we have a true #1, as Andrew is still getting his groove with everyone else. TY seems the most likely.

As far as a #2 option, I don't think it is a player, but it is the #2 option for that play. And that can change every play.

Ranking WR's is just something that fans do, not Luck or the coaches, IMO.

I'd say It's hilton, rogers, whalen. Next year is gonna be a big problem ( a good problem) in figuring out who we want on our roster. We will have wayne, hilton, rogers, whalen, brazill. I think we should start wayne, hilton, and rogers, and have whalen come in occasionally as a 3rd down receiver.

Don't look at boxscore only. Rogers is the one defenses pays more attention to, which frees up room for other receivers. He has been consistent, but I wont always translate to stats.

I look at Griff the same as Donald Brown, don`t care where he`s ranked on depth chart or "the starter" just so long as he`s on the field more than not. They work hard at their craft and produce. Griff has better hands than I realized and that knack for getting yards after the catch. The sky is the limit for this guy, same as DB, as long as he is utilized. Pep, make it happen!   

okay rogers had one 100+ yard game and his last two games 23 and 42 yards. don't think you have much of an argument to say who is better. the only thing rogers has on whalen is size. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone agrees, but I forsee Whalen getting more looks this week vs. the Pats. With them surely keying on TY and possibly Fleener, we'll need a 3rd down possession receiver to go to. The kid just seems to make catches and will probably not have much defensive focus on him. I'd trust him on 3rd downs over Rogers and Brazil as his shorter height lets him "sneak" into space especially on blitz route breakoffs.

He's a tough one to decide on. He has some good hands and has shown he can get YAC. He doesn't have the speed or size of Da'Rick though and Brazil shows some flashes of what he can become. 

I think the main thing he has going for him as well is the comfort level with Luck. Andrew trusts him and I think he can be that 3rd sometimes 2nd option to pick up first downs.

I don't know if anyone agrees, but I forsee Whalen getting more looks this week vs. the Pats. With them surely keying on TY and possibly Fleener, we'll need a 3rd down possession receiver to go to. The kid just seems to make catches and will probably not have much defensive focus on him. I'd trust him on 3rd downs over Rogers and Brazil as his shorter height lets him "sneak" into space especially on blitz route breakoffs.

me too, as you can see i have been an advocate for Whalen since he got here.

All he does is catch the ball!!

He's a tough one to decide on. He has some good hands and has shown he can get YAC. He doesn't have the speed or size of Da'Rick though and Brazil shows some flashes of what he can become. 

I think the main thing he has going for him as well is the comfort level with Luck. Andrew trusts him and I think he can be that 3rd sometimes 2nd option to pick up first downs.

me too, as you can see i have been an advocate for Whalen since he got here.

All he does is catch the ball!!

Griff as the slot guy in games that are either weather-laden or heavy blitzing teams seems smart to me. That trust that they have in each other could be huge when it's needed. He's not afraid to go across the middle either.( Although it's not as difficult these days) Let's hope that coach(es) put a few plays in for him in those crucial 3rd down situations that BB may not have planned for.!

Were does he stand on our WR depth chart in your eyes? I would say he has worked himself into the number 2 spot over the past couple weeks. Brazil and Rogers have been okay but Griff seems to be balling out. I would even go as far as to say he is pushing for the number 1 spot, due to the fact that Luck seems to be going to him a lot more than Hilton right now (not sure if that is by design or TY's shoulder being worse than he is letting on). Thoughts? His he Collie 2.0?

Your crazy, Griff is a nice little guy but he is a 3/4 guy at best. He does have chemistry with Luck I think he is a slot guy really.

LOL!  I was going to respond quite differently to your opinion on Griff being #1.  Then I saw your original date of post!