Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Think Its Time To Hire The Best 'dc' Money Can Buy...

KirkCousins#8

cowher could never work with POLIAN ,,, i also heard that Gruden has NO interest due to that fact as well. (not specifically Polian, but a team that runs all draft picks and personnel decisions through a GM as opposed to the coach (like Parcells would always demand).

Then its time for them to go(polians).I just don't see us retaining the tampa 2 defense after this season.

and allow him to build his defense entirely with 'his type of guys'.Are there any interesting 'DC' out there that we should take a look at?I would like to have gruden as coach,tressel as 'OC' and ryan/billick as 'DC'.Is that even possible in your opinion?

Safe to say I disagree with most of this take, but the one that clearly stands out is Billick as a DC. He is an offensive-oriented coach.

I've always thought that billick is a more defensive kind-of-guy,especially with his days in baltimore.

No. He got the job with the Ravens after he was the OC of a high scoring Vikings offense. His talent in B-more was on the defensive side where Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan & Rex Ryan ran things.

Gruden is not that great of a coach. He came in after Dungy had assembled a winning team and rode that to a Superbowl. Then a few years under him, the team was horrible. Sounds a lot like Caldwell, taking a Dungy assembled team to a Superbowl and now...

Wait till the end of the season, my eye is on Steve Spagnuolos. If the Rams fire him (very likely, IMO), he should be instantly hired to coach our 4-3 D, would be a terrific DC for us. Certain guys, like Wade Philips, Steve Spagnuolos, Josh McDaniels are just meant to be better DCs or OCs than head coaches, hence it is wise to wait till the end of the season.

Jeff Fisher as head coach with Steve Spagnuolos as DC, Tony Sporano as O-line coach, and Clyde Christensen as OC does not sound that bad, does it?

Edited by chad72

Wait till the end of the season, my eye is on Steve Spagnuolos. If the Rams fire him (very likely, IMO), he should be instantly hired to coach our 4-3 D, would be a terrific DC for us. Certain guys, like Wade Philips, Steve Spagnuolos, Josh McDaniels are just meant to be better DCs or OCs than head coaches, hence it is wise to wait till the end of the season.

Jeff Fisher as head coach with Steve Spagnuolos as DC, Tony Sporano as O-line coach, and Clyde Christensen as OC does not sound that bad, does it?

Exactly what is this love affair with Fisher?

Exactly what is this love affair with Fisher?

Just an example, replace him with whomever you want :), the co-ordinators are more important to me at this point, which include 2 coaches that may be fired at the end of the season which was the point I am trying to make a case for waiting it out till the end of the season. Taking an educated guess here - Jeff Fisher is stated primarily because of his relationship with Bill Polian (having worked on the competition committee together) and due to the prevailing thought process that the Polians will not hire anyone they are not comfortable with, personally, for the organization.

Plus, Jeff Fisher's love affair with Peyton's jersey, the rumor was that the Titans got a lot of Colts players because Jeff Fisher wanted to replenish his supply of Peyton's jerseys via former Colts players (j/k) :)

Edited by chad72

why...acccording to ESPN

we're going to solve all our defensive problems by drafting Andrew Luck...

LOL Come on Unc! :D We aren't solving our defensive problems in one draft anyway. Whether we take Luck or not. And just because we take Luck doesn't mean that we couldn't draft defense the rest of the way. In any case, we will have to compliment our draft picks with some prudent free agent defensive signings because we need the defense to improve quicker for those fans who only have "Manning tunnel vision" for the next 4 years.

Edited by Coltsman1788

I stand corrected~.But there offense usually stunk-it-up.

That's because his QBs had next to zero talent. The only QB they brought in for him that could have helped was Steve McNair but he was too injury prone and couldn't stay healthy long enough to make an impact. The year they fired Billick was the same year they drafted Flacco which, imo, was just a slap in the fact to Billick....all he'd wanted his entire time there was a young QB with even a hint of talent that he could develop but he never got it.

I do think Bilick could help with the defense due to his knowledge of the game, but he wouldn't be a DC...he would be best suited as HC to work with both the OC and DC in game planning and scheming but he would likely focus more on the offense due to his background.