Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scott Pioli

21isSuperman

I'm not sure if this is possible, but do you guys think we should look at bringing in Pioli as a consultant of some sort?  His eye for football talent is unreal.  He was parts of the Ravens organization when they took Ogden and Lewis in the draft.  We all know the team he helped build in New England and the talent they had there.  Then he went to KC and was able to get guys like Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki, Dexter McCluster, and Justin Houston.  Other than not getting a solid QB and head coach, that team was loaded.  Give them Alex Smith and Andy Reid and they became one of the league's best teams.  Pioli's eye for talent is incredible. 

Not only that, but Grigson is pretty young at 41.  I also think Grigs is a little too trigger-happy when it comes to free agency.  Perhaps Pioli can act as a guide to help Grigs learn and help us acquire talent.  Of course, what we say has no bearing on what actually happens.  But I think Pioli would be a great addition to the team.  Thoughts?

Not really injurys to those player affected that team a lot and they were never up high enough to get their hands on the better QB"S coming out in the draft a lot of that team right now are his draft picks but I would still pass just because this team will be in good hands with Grigs for a long time. but every GM gets burned one time or more doesn't mean they are terrible at their job.

I don't think we'd bring him in in any official capacity. The politics would be unclear, and that's not good. But I definitely think he has something to offer a team, including ours. I assume that Grigson talks to guys like him all the time. If not, he should.

If Jimmy Raye III leaves this offseason, I'd like to have Pioli in that #2 job.

I don't understand why this is even a question. We have no need for Pioli and would be undermining Grigson if he was brought in. We brought in Jimmy Raye who has yrs. of experience. I have no problem with Grigson being "trigger happy" with free agency. He structured the contracts just the way he should have. So again, I don't understand why Pioli would even be thought about.

I promise you, you want no part of Scott Pioli.  His tenure in KC was a disaster.

First, he didn't draft Jamaal Charles.  The overwhelming majority of good players in KC were there before Pioli arrived in Feburary 2009.

Charles, Bowe, Hali, Flowers, Derrick Johnson, Branden Albert.  The core of the team was already there.

His best player from the 2009 draft has been Ryan Succop.  Yeah, the kicker who was taken with the last pick of the draft.

He fell butt backwards into Eric Berry at 5th overall, then blew a R2 pick on Javier Arenas and Dexter McCluster with studs still on the board.

Our 1st round pick from 2011 is no longer with the team.  His draft record is brutal.  He's gotten value from two picks in four years - Justin Houston and Dontari Poe. 

And that's just the draft record.  The guy came in and told the players they could no longer publilcise their charitable foundations.  He created a culture of distrust by bugging phones and forcing staff whose offices faced the practice field to close thier blinds during practice.  The media needed to ask permission to use the bathroom during press events. (purposely required a key card to access a room that previously was accessible to all)  The staff complained about being mentally abused.  The franchise was sued for age discrimination. 

There was a stretch where we won 9 games in two years, and he was making a huge deal about finding a candy wrapper in a stairwell.  The guy wanted control of every little thing, 99% of which had nothing to do with winning football games.

I apologize if it's not OK to post links, but you should really read this.  It's just one of many articles between 2009-2012 that point out the negative culture Scott Pioli created in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

I think Grigson wants to make a name for himself, he's already drafted some great players in T.Y, Allen and found gems in Freeman, Rogers, and Whalen. Also traded a 2nd round pick for Vontae who is playing like a top 10 CB. He made some mistakes in overpaying RJF, Walden and to some trading a 1st for a RB but he'll learn from that. Pioli was good at drafting defensive players but he was awful at drafting offensive players. Never drafted a QB for starters, Jonathan Baldwin was a bust and Mccluster is nothing more then a KR. He also drafted Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey in the top 5 who were also bust, Pioli has made a ton more mistakes then Grigson has.

There is no need. Grigson will make some mistakes. All GM's make mistakes in judgement regarding talent and contracts. If we examine Pioli's record we will find mistakes along with his successes too. Grigson is 41, he has a chance at a long run of success here and even though the Eagles gave him a start, a long run of success here will define him and make him into a "Colt". I want a GM that will (eventually) feel loyalty towards our team and success. I want a GM that will be able to say "that was my team", "we did that", "we were the Colts".  Pioli could never be more than an employee and frankly could never achieve any loyalty except maybe to his paycheck. No retreads for me thanks in the crucial job of building my team. Polian was not a Colt….he was a Buffalo Bill….he was loyal to his paycheck while he was here….is he loyal to the Colts now? Not so much. 

I'm not sure if this is possible, but do you guys think we should look at bringing in Pioli as a consultant of some sort?  His eye for football talent is unreal.  He was parts of the Ravens organization when they took Ogden and Lewis in the draft.  We all know the team he helped build in New England and the talent they had there.  Then he went to KC and was able to get guys like Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Jon Asamoah, Tony Moeaki, Dexter McCluster, and Justin Houston.  Other than not getting a solid QB and head coach, that team was loaded.  Give them Alex Smith and Andy Reid and they became one of the league's best teams.  Pioli's eye for talent is incredible. 

Not only that, but Grigson is pretty young at 41.  I also think Grigs is a little too trigger-happy when it comes to free agency.  Perhaps Pioli can act as a guide to help Grigs learn and help us acquire talent.  Of course, what we say has no bearing on what actually happens.  But I think Pioli would be a great addition to the team.  Thoughts?

They certainly didn't look elite yesterday, and if they are elite, Grigson has to be superman as he and his coaches toasted the elite Pioli built team and KC....  11-5 possible in his first 2 years....  and you think he needs help because he is young? 

I promise you, you want no part of Scott Pioli.  His tenure in KC was a disaster.

First, he didn't draft Jamaal Charles.  The overwhelming majority of good players in KC were there before Pioli arrived in Feburary 2009.

Charles, Bowe, Hali, Flowers, Derrick Johnson, Branden Albert.  The core of the team was already there.

His best player from the 2009 draft has been Ryan Succop.  Yeah, the kicker who was taken with the last pick of the draft.

He fell butt backwards into Eric Berry at 5th overall, then blew a R2 pick on Javier Arenas and Dexter McCluster with studs still on the board.

Our 1st round pick from 2011 is no longer with the team.  His draft record is brutal.  He's gotten value from two picks in four years - Justin Houston and Dontari Poe. 

And that's just the draft record.  The guy came in and told the players they could no longer publilcise their charitable foundations.  He created a culture of distrust by bugging phones and forcing staff whose offices faced the practice field to close thier blinds during practice.  The media needed to ask permission to use the bathroom during press events. (purposely required a key card to access a room that previously was accessible to all)  The staff complained about being mentally abused.  The franchise was sued for age discrimination. 

There was a stretch where we won 9 games in two years, and he was making a huge deal about finding a candy wrapper in a stairwell.  The guy wanted control of every little thing, 99% of which had nothing to do with winning football games.

I apologize if it's not OK to post links, but you should really read this.  It's just one of many articles between 2009-2012 that point out the negative culture Scott Pioli created in KC.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/14/3371495/arrowhead-anxiety-turnover-off.html

Thank you for posting this. I knew there was stuff that went down in KC when Pioli was there that really ticked a lot of people off. Thing about a lot of Colts fans(especially here), they always think the grass is greener on the other side. In other words, if they've heard of somebody that has a popular name, then people want them here whether it's a player, coach, GM, or whatever. 

the big problem is that he bombed in KC

I don't think he bombed it. On the defensive end he did a great job getting them talent and on the offensive end a QB change seemed to make a decent amount of difference (Though it's not the main reason KC's offensive is better this year). 

I think his eye for talent is very good. That KC team is 85% still the same players he picked out. The head coach and QB were changed and that made all the difference. 

I think he'll get another gig in the NFL, but not with the Colts. 

Not even close.

There are 14 players still on the roster that Pioli is responsible for, and only three play a significant role - Poe, Houston and Berry.

And as I said in an earlier post, the core of the organization was brought in before Pioli arrived. 

Charles, Bowe, Albert, D. Johnson, Flowers, Hali, Colquitt.

Not even close.

There are 14 players still on the roster that Pioli is responsible for, and only three play a significant role - Poe, Houston and Berry.

And as I said in an earlier post, the core of the organization was brought in before Pioli arrived. 

I didn't realize those players predated Pioli. For some reason, I thought he went to KC in 2006. Guess not. That changes a lot.

I didn't realize those players predated Pioli. For some reason, I thought he went to KC in 2006. Guess not. That changes a lot.

He was hired in January 2009.

His first three major decisions?

Hire Todd Haley.

Trade for Matt Cassel and give him $60M

Select Tyson Jackson with the 3rd overall pick.

Fail, fail and fail.

Trust someone who watched every game he played in KC:

Matt Cassel was hot garbage.  The ONE season he looked competent was in 2010, a season in which we played a strength of schedule around .390.  Not kidding.  And even then he only threw for 3100 yards.

Cassel played 51 games in KC, and threw for under 200 yards TWENTY FOUR times. 

He threw for under 100 yards SEVEN times.  That's almost impossible in today's NFL where the rules are slanted towards the offense.

He had a whopping FOUR games over 300 yards in four years.

The guy was trash.

Trust someone who watched every game he played in KC:

Matt Cassel was hot garbage.  The ONE season he looked competent was in 2010, a season in which we played a strength of schedule around .390.  Not kidding.  And even then he only threw for 3100 yards.

Cassel played 51 games in KC, and threw for under 200 yards TWENTY FOUR times. 

He threw for under 100 yards SEVEN times.  That's almost impossible in today's NFL where the rules are slanted towards the offense.

He had a whopping FOUR games over 300 yards in four years.

The guy was trash.

54 games and 28 times I counted from NFL.com, 6 games of 300 yards or more

54 games and 28 times I counted from NFL.com, 6 games of 300 yards or more

LOL.  We're both wrong.

According to Pro Football Reference, he played 15 games in 2009, 15 games in 2010, 9 games in 2011, 9 games in 2012.  48 games.

I didn't bother to look at the under 200 yard games, but am still coming up with only 4 games of over 300 yards. 

1 in 2009

2 in 2010

1 in 2012

Regardless, the point stands.  He was trash.

LOL.  We're both wrong.

According to Pro Football Reference, he played 15 games in 2009, 15 games in 2010, 9 games in 2011, 9 games in 2012.  48 games.

I didn't bother to look at the under 200 yard games, but am still coming up with only 4 games of over 300 yards. 

1 in 2009

2 in 2010

1 in 2012

Regardless, the point stands.  He was trash.

Injuries have pretty much killed his career actually, I dont think he is anything great by any means but I think he is better then your giving him credit for, A good backup QB who can start and win you enough games to get in the playoffs, Example: Vick is also a backup....If I had to choose Vick or Cassel who are both on the wrong side of 30 I'd choose Cassel every time barring them both being healthy

Injuries have pretty much killed his career actually, I dont think he is anything great by any means but I think he is better then your giving him credit for, A good backup QB who can start and win you enough games to get in the playoffs, Example: Vick is also a backup....If I had to choose Vick or Cassel who are both on the wrong side of 30 I'd choose Cassel every time barring them both being healthy

Oh, he's a great backup.

But Pioli gave him $60M to start, not be a backup.

Thanks for posting all that.  The article was a real eye-opener; I didn't realize Pioli was such a control freak.  It makes you question how everything worked in New England with him and Belichick.

My point in posting this was that Pioli has an eye for talent and I think he could make some contribution to Indy.  Teams are always looking to improve themselves and I think Pioli's eye for talent could help us improve.  I don't think Grigs is a bad GM.  In fact, I'm very happy with his approach for the most part.  I wouldn't mind a little less free agency activity, but I think Grigs is doing a solid job.

Not even close.

sam-jackson-retort-468x350.jpg

I don't think we'd bring him in in any official capacity. The politics would be unclear, and that's not good. But I definitely think he has something to offer a team, including ours. I assume that Grigson talks to guys like him all the time. If not, he should.

If Jimmy Raye III leaves this offseason, I'd like to have Pioli in that #2 job.

I told you that pioli was a * and a control freak, but you didn't believe me. He gets people fired, if they even speak to him (true story) and you want this type of guy on our colts? NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO TTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNKKKKKSSSSSSSSS.