Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans. If he is available... would you?

MrNLM

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't mind it as long as he continues to leave the word guarantee out of his vocabulary when it comes to wins and losses and sticks to just being he d coordinator and not a big mouth. Cant say I have ever bought into him as a motivator though, I have had my fill of Manusky though

Why we could have the next Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka team. I mean what could go wrong with hiring a classless, braggart, who has poor intrapersonal skills with other players and coaches. Oh and let's get his brother too. Uh the Jets had good defenses because they loaded that side of the ball with quality players. Pagano and staff ALWAYS deflect credit to their players and position groups and coaches..... Ryan self promotes.  

I think this conversation belongs in the dust bin with the Let's get Albert Haynesworth conversation that some people here also thought was a good idea.

BTW I realize that I will be the outlier on this topic. I don't plan to throw my wife to the side just because somebody else's more beautiful wife suddenly is on the market.

As Bear Bryant said, "dance with the one that brung you".

The Colts are giving up 21.7 points per games (#12 ) the Jets are giving up 25.3 points per game (#21).  I don't understand the desire to downgrade our defense.

The Jets don't get to play the Texans, Titans, and Jags twice a year.  

You can quote that #12 in scoring defense statistic but, your talking about 6 games a year that we are playing offensively inept teams with bad quarterbacks.

Granted the D really showed up against KC, but you still have games where they have looked like the worst defense in the NFL. 

In the last 5 SBs, which D won the game?

Offenses wins games and championships. Defenses try to hang on.

'D wins championship' : consider here 19 games of a PO stretch.

'Defense trying to hang on'...D forced 3 turnovers yesterday, 3 more chance to score. Basically they've put the ball in Andrew's hands, and he used opportunities. Offense can't win alone, it is better 'just' to score, than outdo (sometimes more scores) difference. 

I'm all for Offensive football, still D is essential for winning.

'D wins championship' : consider here 19 games of a PO stretch.

'Defense trying to hang on'...D forced 3 turnovers yesterday, 3 more chance to score. Basically they've put the ball in Andrew's hands, and he used opportunities. Offense can't win alone, it is better 'just' to score, than outdo (sometimes more scores) difference. 

I'm all for Offensive football, still D is essential for winning.

I'm not saying D isn't important.  But I'll stand by my statement that D's no longer win championships.  The NFL has taken that away with all the rules changes. 

There are no dominating D's anymore, and the last SB that was won by a defense was the Giants over the undefeated Patriots.  BTW, the Giants D wasn't much more than adequate that season either.

I don't want Ryan. He's too much of a prima donna to go back as a DC. He's smash mouth talk is part of the reason the Jet's dont come together as a team and it seems like there was always drama with any team he was with. I like the colts sailing under the radar, not media hounds. Plus, the D is finally starting to gel some, lets give Manny another year before we totally bail on him. 

Rex Ryan as Colts DC?

Shun me all you want but HE could get this defense into the top 10.

We are young so... top 10 could be a reoccurring theme with the right DC.

I would be all for it!

What makes you think that Ryan is going to be fired in New York?  The only ones who are talking that is the media. Ryan did make an off collar comment but there has been no word from the Jets on his job. I think it is way too early to fire our defensive cordinator as he hasn't had enough time and he has delt with too many injuries this season.

The Jets don't get to play the Texans, Titans, and Jags twice a year.  

You can quote that #12 in scoring defense statistic but, your talking about 6 games a year that we are playing offensively inept teams with bad quarterbacks.

Granted the D really showed up against KC, but you still have games where they have looked like the worst defense in the NFL. 

The Jets didn't play Denver, Seattle, Kansas City and the 49ers either.

The Jets didn't play Denver, Seattle, Kansas City and the 49ers either.

Playing KC and SF helps defensive statistics, their offenses are not good. The only offenses Indy has faced that are very good are San Diego and Denver. Cincinnatti sometimes. The Jets defense is better than Indy's. Its not surprising though, Manusky is one of the worst d coordinators in the league, and Rex is a fantastic defensive mind.

What I think is also important to take into account is we clearly dont have all the pieces on defense in place so whatever D Coordinator the Colts have wont be playing with a 'full deck' so to speak so unless that D Coordinator is willing to be flexible and use the players that we do have strengths to our advantage then it will be a struggle.... but instead tries to force a square peg into a round hole (See dropping Pat Angerer back in coverage when he clearly has not been healthy. Or lining one of our Linebackers on a WR.....Or consistently refusing to drop Landry or Bethea down into the box  and play to there strengths (which is not covering) up till the last game....We dont have alot of depth either so that D Coordinator (Ryan for example) could be forced to endure Vaughn as #2 Corner and no D Coordinator on the planet is going to win in that situation.....Just all my thoughts, I have not been real pleased with Manusky but I think he will get another year or two and some upgrades along the defense to turn things around

What I think is also important to take into account is we clearly dont have all the pieces on defense in place so whatever D Coordinator the Colts have wont be playing with a 'full deck' so to speak so unless that D Coordinator is willing to be flexible and use the players that we do have strengths to our advantage then it will be a struggle.... but instead tries to force a square peg into a round hole (See dropping Pat Angerer back in coverage when he clearly has not been healthy. Or lining one of our Linebackers on a WR.....Or consistently refusing to drop Landry or Bethea down into the box  and play to there strengths (which is not covering) up till the last game....We dont have alot of depth either so that D Coordinator (Ryan for example) could be forced to endure Vaughn as #2 Corner and no D Coordinator on the planet is going to win in that situation.....Just all my thoughts, I have not been real pleased with Manusky but I think he will get another year or two and some upgrades along the defense to turn things around

I don't disagree we don't have all the pieces in place for a good defense, but if a better defensive coordinator was available, I'd want him with us.

However like I said before, I don't know how well Pagano would get along with a guy like Rex Ryan.  A part of the system you have to take into account is how well the coaches would get along (personality wise), and how well their philosophies match.  

Ryan is going to want to be a HC again and IMO he'll get a 2nd chance. If not next yr., then in less than 3 yrs.. He has done a decent job with terrible QB's. He did get the Jets in back to back AFC championship games with Mark Freakin Sanchez as his QB. In other words, I wouldn't fire Manusky(who IMO has done pretty good with less than he needs) to hire Ryan because I wouldn't just want him jumping ship after 1 or 2 seasons to go back to a HC position.

I don't disagree we don't have all the pieces in place for a good defense, but if a better defensive coordinator was available, I'd want him with us.

However like I said before, I don't know how well Pagano would get along with a guy like Rex Ryan.  A part of the system you have to take into account is how well the coaches would get along (personality wise), and how well their philosophies match.  

Pagano learned to be a DC under the watch of Rex Ryan... I certainly hope that would render your worries moot.

I dont think Rex popping off at the mouth would be an issue as a D Coordinator here in Indy.......I think Chuck would not hesitate to send him packing if he was and if Chuck was hesitant about it then you better believe Irsay would make his 2 cents known, He wasn't a media circus while with Baltimore and recently he hasn't said or done anything thats drawn attention to himself. I also think the media (as usual) had something to do with his negative portrayal, Now he certainly did to however but the media these days for the most part is just trash, just people looking for any little thing that they can capitalize on and make even the smallest story out of and if that story snowballs then all the better for them

I don't want Ryan. He's too much of a prima donna to go back as a DC. He's smash mouth talk is part of the reason the Jet's dont come together as a team and it seems like there was always drama with any team he was with. I like the colts sailing under the radar, not media hounds. Plus, the D is finally starting to gel some, lets give Manny another year before we totally bail on him.

What drama did he cause before becoming HC of the Jets?