Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Does Xavier Nixon have a future with us?

Nobody

He played a good game vs an elite D with a ferocious front 7 in the second most hostile environment in the league. Not to mention the Florida boy showed his worth in the cold weather (surrounded by a not so good supporting cast.)

Am I overreacting because I desperately want a good young interior offensive lineman? Yes. But you never know.

I'd be okay with any of the following two options:

1. We upgrade the O-line so well that a guy like Nixon doesn't make the squad,

Or

2. Nixon improves so much that he could make any roster, especially the Colts roster.

Realistically, though, he'd be a good back up and deserves to be on the team next season.

He played a good game vs an elite D with a ferocious front 7 in the second most hostile environment in the league. Not to mention the Florida boy showed his worth in the cold weather (surrounded by a not so good supporting cast.)

Am I overreacting because I desperately want a good young interior offensive lineman? Yes. But you never know

Crazy but now we have Rogers and undrafted guy expected to go in round three and Nixon who was figured around round 4.

hes still a project. nice depth especially with reitz and link both being FAs at the end of the season

Reitz has a lot of promise, but he's constantly injured.  I think we know what Link can give us.

Hopefully Thomas fills one G spot, and Thorton the other.

If Nixon continues to improve, I'd say he's valuable depth at worse next season.

Am I overreacting because I desperately want a good young interior offensive lineman? Yes. But you never know.

I thought Nixon played a good game as well.  He took Poe on several times one on one and held his own.  He is not a finished project yet and has some work to do, still a pleasant surprise to me because I had no idea what to expect.

Uh, Link, Pagano`s Valuable 4 Position Player, has Never played as well.

This guy could be another Cherilus in 2-3 years. And a very capable G if needed.

Talk is cheap, but a promising young Colt.

The kind of pickup to build a DEEP- Talented Roster with.

McNary, How about Gordy yesterday? Thornton a project Rookie with Top Notch athleticism.

Year 3 shows Great Promise.

The way Nixon handled Poe which not many o-linemen have been able to do this year, absolutely he has a future with the Colts. He reminds me a lot of young Jahri Evans with the Saints, a converted LT that switched to guard. He seems to play well alongside Castonzo. He does has to work on his run blocking technique but his pass blocking footwork is flawless. If he starts the rest of the year and does well into the playoffs he could be the future LG.

Just re-watched the entire game and focused on Nixon.  I give him an A on pass blocking.  I think he made 1 mistake and on that one, you couldn't be sure because Satele was on the other side.  He blocked Poe than released him to pick up a blitzer.  Either he shouldn't have released him, or Satele was lost again and wasn't on the same page.  Run blocking, I'll be kind and say C.  He had trouble moving his man off the line and on plays where he pulled to his right, at times he seemed uncertain of who to block.  There was one impressive play though (I think it was on Brown's run), where he pulled, but the guy he was going to block was already being engaged.  He then looks and turns up field and takes on a defender at the second level.  That was impressive.  Last week, I thought he was a C- overall.  This week, overall, I'd say a solid B (which I'd take any day)!

According to PFF (info behind paywall) Nixon was our best rated offensive player vs KC with a +2.6 overall and for all of you saying he was great at pass blocking and underwhelming at run blocking they disagree: +0.2 pass block, +2.1 run block.

Note: PFF grades subject to change after release of All 22 film.