Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We just got robbed!

lollygagger8

no, no it wasn't

I sure can't recall any other game which was worse from start to finish. That being said, I haven't seen a good job by the officials in any game this season. They have been bad across the board.

But still, that game was the most one sided Game I can every remember.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure can't recall any other game which was worse from start to finish. That being said, I haven't seen a good job by the officials in any game this season. They have been bad across the board.

you keep saying that, but don't provide any examples, video etc.

you keep saying that, but don't provide any examples, video etc.

How can I provide a video example of something I can't recall? Are you one of these guys who asks for "a link" every time you can't come up with a response?

KC had several big plays called back because of eye brow raising penalties. From an inexplicable taunting penalty to extremely inconsistent holding penalties both offensive and defensively. If you disagree, feel free to explain yourself.

How can I provide a video example of something I can't recall? Are you one of these guys who asks for "a link" every time you can't come up with a response?

KC had several big plays called back because of eye brow raising penalties. From an inexplicable taunting penalty to extremely inconsistent holding penalties both offensive and defensively. If you disagree, feel free to explain yourself.

You can't remember? You just said it was the worst you have ever seen. Seems like you could recite some specific examples. Times of the game when it happened, down and distance, etc

Ok so since this was the most one sided officiated game you have ever seen, you are saying we wouldn't have won this game? 

Ok so since this was the most one sided officiated game you have ever seen, you are saying we wouldn't have won this game?

No, I did not say that. You are just getting emotional like homers always do. I said the Colts played a better game and the Chiefs struggled, but the officiating was in fact one sided. Had the officiating been balanced, the game would have been closer and much more entertaining. As it was, every time the chiefs started to get something going, a big penalty stalled them. Some of those penalties were truly eye brow raising as well.

The officials have Ben doing a poor job league wide, game by game this season. And I'm sure you have all kinds of issues with the officials in each and every Colts loss..

No, I did not say that. You are just getting emotional like homers always do. I said the Colts played a better game and the Chiefs struggled, but the officiating was in fact one sided. Had the officiating been balanced, the game would have been closer and much more entertaining. As it was, every time the chiefs started to get something going, a big penalty stalled them. Some of those penalties were truly eye brow raising as well.

The officials have Ben doing a poor job league wide, game by game this season. And I'm sure you have all kinds of issues with the officials in each and every Colts loss..

Ok it was just a question because I wanted to make sure I understood you right before I said something about your claims. Don't know how I was being emotional but really, take a chill pill guy.

There were two calls I disagreed with, one was the taunting penalty against Poe which kept our drive alive and then the incomplete pass call on what was a fumble. Those two really didn't affect anything because if we did punt the ball back, KC was doing nothing on offense, and all we got from the taunting penalty is 3 points although it did cost the Chiefs some time on the game clock but at that point we were up 20-7 and well on our way to victory.

Other calls were nowhere near game changing calls. 

See what I did there? Gave you a response using facts and not like a gambling addict who probably lost some cash on the game.

different type of play. megatron's was controlling the ball through going to the ground. they are determining incomplete or complete, a fumble is never even an option

in the play of topic, we are deciding incomplete or fumble while the WR. Being down before the fumble is not being reviewed.

The WR clearly catches the ball, tucks it, and takes a step while turning to run. It was a fumble. I agree that it was quick, but I was POed it wasnt a fumble before i saw a replay. then the replay was so obvious i knew we would get the ball (just like BGE's TD run on 4th down vs Cincy).......... Even the announcers said we would get it and then when they said "ruling on the field stands" the announcer said "WHHHHATTTT!!!!!!! WOOOO... I can't believe it."

The Megatron catch is a terrible example. It's impossible to catch a football in the endzone then fumble it. Not to mention a fumble was never in question and the ruling was completing the process of the catch while going to the ground. Idk why they would bring that up because in the Colts game the receiver wasn't going to the ground.

He completed the catch, tucked the ball away, took multiple steps with possession and was stripped of the football. In real time you could argue him "tucking" the ball away was him "juggling" the football, but the replay clearly showed the opposite. Even common sense tells you it was a fumble, but the refs don't use that in their officiating.

"Football move" doesn't matter. It's not in the rule book.

As for the three steps, that only matters if you definitively state when the receiver had control of the ball. And while I think it was a fumble, I don't think the video evidence was "conclusive." 

Fine, forget football moves. What you/they/rulebook call 3 steps is irrelevant. 

Receiver clearly had possession and made 3 steps, got hammered, and fumbled the ball. Period. 

One sided which way?

Ok it was just a question because I wanted to make sure I understood you right before I said something about your claims. Don't know how I was being emotional but really, take a chill pill guy.

There were two calls I disagreed with, one was the taunting penalty against Poe which kept our drive alive and then the incomplete pass call on what was a fumble. Those two really didn't affect anything because if we did punt the ball back, KC was doing nothing on offense, and all we got from the taunting penalty is 3 points although it did cost the Chiefs some time on the game clock but at that point we were up 20-7 and well on our way to victory.

Other calls were nowhere near game changing calls. 

See what I did there? Gave you a response using facts and not like a gambling addict who probably lost some cash on the game.

Those are good (though we disagree about the fumble, I'm just not positive he had full control long enough before it was knocked out).  But I also disagreed with the horse-collar penalty we got. Replay showed that his hand was on top of the shoulder was pulling, not inside the pads.  Today I see M. Pereira thought that one was wrong too.  But none were jaw dropping game changers, IMO. 

The Megatron catch is a terrible example. It's impossible to catch a football in the endzone then fumble it. Not to mention a fumble was never in question and the ruling was completing the process of the catch while going to the ground. Idk why they would bring that up because in the Colts game the receiver wasn't going to the ground.

He completed the catch, tucked the ball away, took multiple steps with possession and was stripped of the football. In real time you could argue him "tucking" the ball away was him "juggling" the football, but the replay clearly showed the opposite. Even common sense tells you it was a fumble, but the refs don't use that in their officiating.

The illustration only exhibits how long it can take to establish full possession. In both cases the ref believed neither player had complete possession all the way through the catch process before it got away and hit the ground.  If Megatron actually had been ruled to have full possession, it would have been a TD.  Both were ruled incomplete.. It can be no other way.

Whether there is contact, or not; in the end zone or field of play, full possession must be deemed established before a fumble can occur.  If there isn't definitive evidence, refs have to rule incomplete.  These are the rules and in the rulebook.

How could I tell you which game was more one sided if I just told you that I can't remember a game which was officiated so one sidedly?

I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes it's OK to remover your homer glasses. It's not going to make you less of a fan. Being able to recognize the truth is usually thought of as a good thing.

How could I tell you which game was more one sided if I just told you that I can't remember a game which was officiated so one sidedly?

I don't know what to tell you. Sometimes it's OK to remover your homer glasses. It's not going to make you less of a fan. Being able to recognize the truth is usually thought of as a good thing.

No one is asking you to name a game more one sided. We are asking you to point to things in yesterdays game that made it so unbelievably one sided

What the heck are you talking about?  Do you have reading comprehension issues?  I did not ask you about any other game but yesterdays.

The NFL needs to put an official upstairs who has the ability to review every play, and singularly overturn terrible calls. Making these calls on the field are just too much for the officials. We have HD so clear that we can see the Adderol oozing from richard sherman's pores. The NFL needs to make every play reviewable, and have an official upstairs working "damage control" if you will. 

I like this idea. That said, there's still a lot of refs guesstimating the spot of the ball each play in this "game of inches".  

I beg your pardon. Fact is, the ref didn't see or call it that way on the field, and the replay apparently wasn't definitive enough to overturn it. Even the former Vice President of NFL officiating agreed with on no overturn.... BLAH BLAH BLAH

this is where i stopped reading.  remember the TD call vs Cincy?  He said he only reviewed the goaline...  Fact is, they don't seem to be doing their job right.  And the former Vice President of NFL officiating agreeing on the broadcast of the NFL game means nothing.  The announcers, coaches, players, GMs, owners, and everyone else are fined or fired if they speak too badly of the refs.  it is not good for football for the refs to suck so he 90% of the time is going to say the officials were right.  

I didn't think the fumble call was poor officiating. I think the receiver completed the catch, but I understand the call being made the way it was on the field. And the ref's call was allowed to stand because the replay was not conclusive. This is one of the harder calls to make, and often times it comes down to judgment. Because the play happened so fast, I understand not overturning the call on the field.

It was as obvious a fumble as can be. The receiver made about 3 football moves. Real time, I get how they might get it wrong, but in HD slow-mo? Not having a bit of that.

Hopefully that is our stinkers out of the way, it would be a pain if they continue into the PO's.

this is where i stopped reading.  remember the TD call vs Cincy?  He said he only reviewed the goaline...  Fact is, they don't seem to be doing their job right.  And the former Vice President of NFL officiating agreeing on the broadcast of the NFL game means nothing.  The announcers, coaches, players, GMs, owners, and everyone else are fined or fired if they speak too badly of the refs.  it is not good for football for the refs to suck so he 90% of the time is going to say the officials were right.  

Why don't you back up your claims with some proof?  Accept the assignment or move on.  If you get wind of the apology letter landing on Grigsons desk, let me know.

It was as obvious a fumble as can be. The receiver made about 3 football moves. Real time, I get how they might get it wrong, but in HD slow-mo? Not having a bit of that.

Hopefully that is our stinkers out of the way, it would be a pain if they continue into the PO's.

Do you have a video or .gif shoeing that, with firm control/possession of the football?  I showed two refs simultaneously signalling Incomplete from two distincltly different angles, and the one went further and made the juggling (not in control of the ball) motions.  You have to show proof that did NOT happen (have firm proof the ball was not moving as in maybe not in full control)  in order for 3 steps, football moves (no such thing anymore in the rules for the last few years), dancing with the stars or anything else comes into play.. And I saw in real time it was a bang-bang play. You don't get ban=bang plays when someone gets 3 steps.  Former Vice President of NFL officiating agrees-

That was a bang-bang play in KC - in real time, you have to stay with the call there.

So not everybody sees it the same. I wonder what folks here would be saying about that play if that was TY Hilton getting the ball knocked out. I already know the answer to that,I fear.

Why don't you back up your claims with some proof?  Accept the assignment or move on.  If you get wind of the apology letter landing on Grigsons desk, let me know.

oh shut up.  i said what i know to be true.  I am not going to do your homework for you.  Tripplett said after the CIN debacle that he only reviewed the goaline.  Look it up yourself.  Second, do you really not know that the coaches and analysts are not to talk crap about officials???  i said nothing that needs proven to anyone with an average football IQ.  You are proving in this thread that you are lacking.   You originally were saying this was incomplete for the same reasons the Calvin Johnson TD play when he went to the ground VS the bears was incomplete. 

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT AND YOU KEEP QUOTE MIKE PEREIRA THINKING IT PROVES SOMETHING.  IT DOESN'T PROVE ANYTHING!   

Lol. Refs. Easiest job in the world.

Even if you're wrong. You're right.

And here I thought weather meteorologists were the only employees lucky enough to land that permanent gig House.  haha Good one! 

The NFL needs to step in and get LASIK surgery for all refs. This is outrageous.

I will even chip in $30 bucks for that mandatory zebra procedure as an NFL fan Lollygager. Right on brother! Forget an unfair competitive advantage. I'd just be satisfied with basic competency man.  :thmup:

Do you have a video or .gif shoeing that, with firm control/possession of the football?  I showed two refs simultaneously signalling Incomplete from two distincltly different angles, and the one went further and made the juggling (not in control of the ball) motions.  You have to show proof that did NOT happen (have firm proof the ball was not moving as in maybe not in full control)  in order for 3 steps, football moves (no such thing anymore in the rules for the last few years), dancing with the stars or anything else comes into play.. And I saw in real time it was a bang-bang play. You don't get ban=bang plays when someone gets 3 steps.  Former Vice President of NFL officiating agrees-

Mike Pereira ‏@MikePereira22 Dec

That was a bang-bang play in KC - in real time, you have to stay with the call there.

So not everybody sees it the same. I wonder what folks here would be saying about that play if that was TY Hilton getting the ball knocked out. I already know the answer to that,I fear.

In real time the refs got it wrong....that's why they have replay.

I like this idea. That said, there's still a lot of refs guesstimating the spot of the ball each play in this "game of inches".  

Terrible spots happen every game. A referee buzzing down to let the on-field officials know "That is not at all correct and needs to be re-spotted here" would save so much grief. For everyone. For the league, the refs, the players, and the fans. 

With the widespread coverage of the game these days, and the breaking down of plays to inches, and the difference inches can make, these calls need to be made correctly. The NFL seems to be content to come out Tuesday afternoon and say a mistake has been made. But quite frankly, that is not good enough. That is not acceptable. A revision of a call Tuesday doesn't reverse the outcome of a game played the previous Sunday.

There is literally NO inability to get the call correct on every play in this day and age. The officials on the field have a lot going on and are under a ton of pressure, and sometimes they fold under that pressure. Just listen to the way they stutter and stumble trying to explain a call. An official with unlimited power upstairs making sure blown calls aren't commonplace only makes sense. 

Furthermore, with mistakes, and very obvious mistakes at that, becoming so widespread among current officials, I think the NFL needs to begin being totally transparent with the officials. It is my opinion that head officials and officiating crews should be graded, either by the NFL or otherwise independently, on a scale of 1-100, with the grade being the % of plays correctly officiated. Grade them, each week, and at the end of the season if their grade is too low, don't bring them back. If they get a grade below a certain amount in a given week (I think anything below a 90% would be unacceptable myself) then fine them.

That, to me, is one of the most infuriating things about the NFL right now. Players are fined for not playing the game the NFL wants them to play it. Referees are not fined for not calling games the way the NFL wants them to call them. These referees, clete blakeman we're looking at you here, are making terrible calls and botching plays week after week after week after week. And what happens? 

Nothing.

If you and I keep making horrendous mistakes at our job, it doesn't remain our job for long. But NFL referees can make mistakes-a-plenty with no fear, or seemingly even a possibility of having to answer for them. 

The idea of centralized replay is being floated around heavily these days. I'm not a fan, personally. Not because I don't think it's a good idea, I think it's a great idea, especially if the man reviewing these plays would be the head of officiating himself. I don't like the idea because unless a red flag is thrown, and there are so many rules surrounding throwing the challenge flag anymore that few know when they can and cannot, the terrible calls still aren't justified. Centralized replay is a good idea. But having a head official upstairs with the ability to make sure the right calls are made on ALL PLAYS is an even better one. 

I agree.  It has been ridiculous this year.  It is time for full time refs.

Making referees full time employees of the NFL will result in no change. These guys start working during training camps. Most of them try to work in a couple of OTA's during the offseason. They are calling pretty much all the NFL football they can as is. There isn't much more than can be done to remedy the situation with the current state of officiating. 

What would full time officials be doing during times when there is no officiating to be done? They're not going to sweep and mop around the NFL HQ, and paying them to do nothing isn't going to bode well on several different levels, so full time officials is the equivalent of taking from the left hand to put it in the right.