Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Move

ColtsArmy84

"Should', but does he? They used Nixon at G last week before Holmes. Nixon has been on the team for a cup of coffee and never played or even practiced at G.

He's either injured or inept at this point. Waste of a roster spot either way.

fakse statement Nixon played last week and did a solid job

I read it. I think your conclusion is a major reach. I don't think coaches label players as busts, especially before they've ever played. It seems they don't want to play him unless they absolutely HAVE to, and preferably at center.

So I guess you're saying he's just not ready, and they only see him as a C, right? Okay, that's fair. Personally, I don't think they like guys who are that limited.

And if Austin gets in at C before him, it just means they'd rather have someone with actual game experience than trust a rookie? Okay, glass half full, I'd buy that. Although, he could do that from the PS.

But bottom line, if he doesn't make the team next year, I think we can agree he was a bust.

So I guess you're saying he's just not ready, and they only see him as a C, right? Okay, that's fair. Personally, I don't think they like guys who are that limited.

And if Austin gets in at C before him, it just means they'd rather have someone with actual game experience than trust a rookie? Okay, glass half full, I'd buy that. Although, he could do that from the PS.

But bottom line, if he doesn't make the team next year, I think we can agree he was a bust.

Austin was elevated to provide depth only once Reitz was ruled out in the same manner Shaun Draughn was brought in when it appeared Donald Brown was a no go on Sunday.

Yeah, if he doesn't make next year's team, call him whatever you want. We're a long way from that, though. I assume he'll actually get on the field in the preseason next year, though, so we'll have way more information at that point.

As of right now, I just think they're not ready to play him yet. They only activated him last week because they had to, and from the looks of it, they only wanted to play him at center if they absolutely had to. I wondered why Nixon got the reps at guard also. Just don't think he's a bust, or anything close to it. Not at this point. Rookie offensive linemen often sit the entire year out.

Yeah, if he doesn't make next year's team, call him whatever you want. We're a long way from that, though. I assume he'll actually get on the field in the preseason next year, though, so we'll have way more information at that point.

As of right now, I just think they're not ready to play him yet. They only activated him last week because they had to, and from the looks of it, they only wanted to play him at center if they absolutely had to. I wondered why Nixon got the reps at guard also. Just don't think he's a bust, or anything close to it. Not at this point. Rookie offensive linemen often sit the entire year out.

Ditto

Point being, he's an interior lineman who's been with the team all year. Nixon is a tackle who never played G, or even PRACTICED at G, and just joined the team.

In theory, who is a better fit at G?

If he can't play this year, why keep him on the roster? IR the guy, they can always find a reason.

Because you need depth....  and I'm guessing that the team will use him if forced to.  

It's a numbers game.   You need X number of OL.    Holmes is better than someone else they might have to use.

Just my hunch.....