Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents For Next Season, Another Reason To Be Worried

alfred87

Next season is the big season in free agency and I wanted to know which players you think should be resigned:

Curtis Painter QB

Chris Gronkowski H-B

Jacob Tamme H-B

Reggie Wayne WR

Pierre Garcon WR

Anthony Gonzalez WR

Ryan Diem OT

Mike Pollak OG/C

Jamaal Anderson DE

Tyler Brayton DE

Robert Mathis DE

Dan Muir DT

Eric Foster DT

Antonio Johnson DT

Phil Wheeler LB

Jacob Lacey CB

Pat McAfee P

I believe Tamme, Wayne, Garcon, Pollak, Anderson and McAfee will be resigned, actually anderson depends on how much hughes develops

Edited by alfred44

I believe Tamme, Wayne, Garcon, Pollak, Anderson and McAfee will be resigned, actually anderson depends on how much hughes develops

Everyone I crossed out, and everyone else on your list, is expendable. Add Mathis to this short list, and those are the players I think we should definitely keep. Everyone else depends on roster space and market value. I'd like to keep many of them, but with a draft class coming in and (I expect) some free agent opportunities, most of them will have to go.

Worried? There are maybe 5 on there worth keeping. One of them is our PUNTER for god's sake....

On the fence with both Wayne AND Garcon.

Garcon needs to become reliable instead of a liability/pray to god he doesn't drop it. Sign him dirt cheap.

If Wayne asks for some stupid amount it's time to part ways. Use that money to get a guy who can beat people man to man/maybe even go for the jump ball. If no other options are out there, well, I guess Wayne should get paid.

Gonzalez never plays = Cya.

Tamme - Sure. Needs to stay healthy.

Gronk - Haven't seen enough of.

Pollack is probably going to replace Saturday next season.

False Start #71 on the offense can get lost.

I'd rather see a whole new defensive scheme rendering the entire D/every defensive player on that list expendable.

Pat M = If he tries to get away just fish him out of the canal.

Painter = Makes no difference. He's a mediocre QB on a good day/ a backup. Not a championship caliber QB. At some point, we'll need to find one. Plenty of other backup QB's to get if he wants too much.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

I'd rather see a whole new defensive scheme rendering the entire D/every defensive player on that list expendable.

I think Mathis is an elite pass rusher, and would like to see us keep him. Of course, if he wants to be paid like an elite pass rusher (6 years, $50 million is my guess), we can't keep him. The plan two years ago was for Jerry Hughes to be his successor. It's a shame that it doesn't look like that's going to work out.

I agree with most everything else you said, though I'm not as cold about it as you are.

Curtis Painter QB

Chris Gronkowski H-B

Jacob Tamme H-B

Reggie Wayne WR

Pierre Garcon WR

Anthony Gonzalez WR

Ryan Diem OT

Mike Pollak OG/C

Jamaal Anderson DE

Tyler Brayton DE

Robert Mathis DE

Dan Muir DT

Eric Foster DT

Antonio Johnson DT

Phil Wheeler LB

Jacob Lacey CB

Pat McAfee P

I'd like those guys in red to be resigned. Painter's on the fence - depends on what happens with the draft/maybe trade him?

One guy I disagree about is Jamaal Anderson...I think he could wind up playing himself into a new contract....no guarantees at this point but I think the potential is there. I would also keep Antonio Johnson if for no other reason than he simply is the only true NT we have. If we let him go we need to bring in at least 2 new NT's. If we keep him (with a low-ball contract possibly with incentives based on performance) then at the very least we would have a good, solid backup. *edit...ok so there were 2 guys I disagreed about. :D

Edited by Jason

I am going to wait and see how this year plays out and what Peyton Manning's health is like before I chim in on who we should keep and who we shouldn't.

If heaven for bid Peyton is done I think we rebuild which means we let the big names walk. If Peyton comes back we are going to try to retool to make another run with Peyton which means they are mor likely to keep guys like Wayne, Saturday, and Mathis.

I will say this, right now I am leaning towards letting Mathis walk. I think age is starting to catch up to him and Freeney and both have had a real lack of production this year both in terms of stats and just in general being around the QB. Some of that is due to Anderson and Brayton playing more but I think some is due to age starting to get the better of them. Both are built on speed and that goes away at some point and it doesn't have to be much for it to take an effect.

Gronk I'm sure stays. He's not an amazing fb but all that means is he's there and he's cheap. They kept Gijon Robinson for years for the same reason.

Hopefully Painter stays because that means we don't draft Luck and address the many needs on the team instead.

Garcon will stay. He can't ask for elite money. They lowball him and he takes it. Probly with incentives on performance.

Pollack was drafted to take Saturdays place. He stays.

Captain false start Diem stay. Slide over to guard. Hopefully LG since they have that guard telling Saturday when to snap. Should eliminate his false starts since he'll be the one calling the snaps.

Lacey stays. He's our best corner (complete sarcasm...he's obviously gone)

Gotta keep one of he DTs. Probably Foster(assuming he comes back 100%) since he's made many improvements and could play end if we can't afford Mathis.

Id love to see Wayne retire a Colt...but he's gonna want a long term contract so I'm sure he'll be let go

Mathis will want (and should get) elite rusher money. I'm sure he's gone. Not sure why we didn't trade him for picks next draft. Love the guy though. Hope he's stays since he wasn't traded.

McAfee goes nowhere. A punter with a big leg like his is nice to have.

Everyone I listed won't get paid more than a couple mil a season(except maybe Diem/Pollack) but will depend on the rest of the seasons performance, talent they're looking at in the draft, available free agents, ect. So I suppose this is more of a wish list as there truely no way of knowing.