Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Straw That Broke The Camels Back

Dtman513

I think the coach should bench Manning. I mean by that make him sit on the bench. His presence standing on the sidline looking like a disapproving parent is very distracting to the poor boys who are trying to concentrate on the game and do their best. So, blame last night's debacle on the ominous presence of number 18. He is too much a symbol of excellence to those who cannot live up to it.

I think the coach should bench Manning. I mean by that make him sit on the bench. His presence standing on the sidline looking like a disapproving parent is very distracting to the poor boys who are trying to concentrate on the game and do their best. So, blame last night's debacle on the ominous presence of number 18. He is too much a symbol of excellence to those who cannot live up to it.

I guess you can't please everyone on this board because most were excited that Peyton was able to be on the sideline and now your saying that the coach should bench him because he's a distraction to the poor boys trying to play the game. Well those poor boys are professional players and get paid as such and if they can't play with Peyton on the sideline how do they play when is is under center. The only player I saw play last night like a professional was D. Carter and he played his heart out. The players did not play like professionals and the coaching staff flunked big time. JMO of course.

I guess you can't please everyone on this board because most were excited that Peyton was able to be on the sideline and now your saying that the coach should bench him because he's a distraction to the poor boys trying to play the game. Well those poor boys are professional players and get paid as such and if they can't play with Peyton on the sideline how do they play when is is under center. The only player I saw play last night like a professional was D. Carter and he played his heart out. The players did not play like professionals and the coaching staff flunked big time. JMO of course.

I cannot believe you actually thought I was SERIOUS! Manning was the only thing interesting to watch for crying out loud!

P.S. See my picture posing with the great one.

Edited by mouthofsouth

I cannot believe you actually thought I was SERIOUS! Manning was the only thing interesting to watch for crying out loud!

P.S. See my picture posing with the great one.

My bad I really thought thought your were serious. Thanks for telling me I was mistaken. rotfl

But they didn't take did they. Yes a massive amount of reason is Peyton, and when you have that type of player you can have glaring weaknesses in other years. You also have large sums of salary cap space taken up by Peyton and Dwight and a few other key people. But to think that Polian doesn't have the ability to address those issues to me is a mistake.

Lets also remember that just about every team in the league is going to struggle when they lose their ACE starting QB. To think this team won "just" because of Peyton is laughable and I think a few players on the Colts team would not agree with that view. A key reason we are bad this season is besides the loss of Peyton is the sheer inability of the defense to stop people. In the past they had a bend don't break approach and for the most that worked for them. This year do to injury, lack of talent, poor drafting and such we can't stop anyone. And this is a major issue Polian is going to have to address in the offseason, but to say this team can't make the changes in the offseaon talent wise I would disagree with, especially in the NFL.

oh wait lets see

when vince young went down and kerry collins took over in titan land they went 13-3, when cassell took over for an injured brady 11-5, when big ben was out the steelers went 3-1. manning being out were 0-7. what part of that screams peyton doesnt control the team? yeah my point exactly

You don't get it, do you. The Colts have been in a free fall for the last couple years. The signs are obvious if you know what to look for. Had it not been for Peyton's heroics last year, the colts would not have even made the playoffs. The year prior, they should have lost 4-6 games, except Peyton came to the rescue. This is not one bad season, this is the end result of failed coaching and management. What they did in the past is meaningless if they are trending towards the toilet, which they most certainly are. Open your eyes, for gads sake.

Great post! I'm glad there are some that do get it.

The Polians should be sitting down in another town. I'm ready for full scale changes. I don't think Bill will ever change his philosophy concerning defense and his drafting strategy just hasn't worked for quite a while. He won't be gone though. I would bet money on it.

This isn't Polian's defensive philosophy. His teams have run a variety of defenses, even in Indy. Dungy wanted his style of defense, and Polian gave him the players he wanted. Caldwell has evidently asked for different kinds of players at offensive line, defensive line and cornerback, and we've seen some changes in draft strategy there. I don't think Polian is the one saying "we run Tampa 2 and that's it."

I say lets fire Coyer and install a man coverage scheme, and use this draft with a great position to fit the scheme

Yup. Even if we get burned for the rest of the season, we get to see what players fit into the man coverage scheme and which players don't, and we can make necessary adjustments. We can play more Cover 1 and still play a significant amount of zone defenses, but we should be at best 60/40 man from this point forward. I'm not against zone defense like others are, but I don't think you can run it as much as we've been running it, and I don't think you can run it the way we ran it last night in the red zone and stop good quarterbacks.

This isn't Polian's defensive philosophy. His teams have run a variety of defenses, even in Indy. Dungy wanted his style of defense, and Polian gave him the players he wanted. Caldwell has evidently asked for different kinds of players at offensive line, defensive line and cornerback, and we've seen some changes in draft strategy there. I don't think Polian is the one saying "we run Tampa 2 and that's it."

Very much agreed...there has also been a noticeable attempt to increase size at the LB position.

Caldwell has become the subject of criticism from local fans, many of whom want him replaced. He said he's not worried about it.

"It's a business of performance," he said. "The thing I'm most concerned about is getting our team ready, getting our team focused. Those kinds of things occur in this business. I focus on the things I can control, and that's our preparation on a daily basis."

from

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8236f97d/article/colts-55point-loss-casts-doubt-on-caldwells-future-as-coach?module=HP11_headline_stack

I'd like the guy more if we weren't 0-7 coming off a 55 point beat down

Nothing will probably happen until the season is over. I don't see them getting rid of any coaches or making any radical changes till then. But what would it hurt? It really can't get any worse :thdown:

I would bet if this type of defeats continue Caudwell is gone before December.

Caldwell has become the subject of criticism from local fans, many of whom want him replaced. He said he's not worried about it.

"It's a business of performance," he said. "The thing I'm most concerned about is getting our team ready, getting our team focused. Those kinds of things occur in this business. I focus on the things I can control, and that's our preparation on a daily basis."

from

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

I'd like the guy more if we weren't 0-7 coming off a 55 point beat down

Based on results Caldwell is failing in "getting our team ready, getting our team focused". His own words illustrate his failure. You don't go into a game properly prepared and lose 62-7.

There is zero chance. You don't fire the folks that took a horrible franchise and turned it into one of the top 3-4 franchises in all of football because of 1 horrible season. Polian has shown the ability to adapt and change over history and bring winning to every franchise he has been involved with.

I strongly disagree, hes shown he is cabable of putting together a playoff team but Not a SB team. 1 SB is lucky, 2 is a great team. We have never had a great team.