Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Playoff Seeding

Caleb3502

Any three way tie favors the Colts. Cincy beat Indy & the Pats, BUT the Colts didn't play the Pats so the three way head to head doesn't apply. The 2nd tiebreaker is conference record and the Colts would have a better conference record. Colts #2, Cincy #3, and Pats #4. The one poster nailed it - if Indy & the Ravens win out, then we lock in the #2 seed. In fact, the Ravens/Lions outcome doesn't matter for us as long as they beat NE and Cincy - we'd still get #2.

youre talking if the bengals lose again, then it wouldnt be a 3-way 11-5 record. The bengals would be 10-6. Im talking if we all tied. Bengals take the 2nd, us 3rd, and pats 4th.

whats more amazing is if the phins win out, which is possible, and the pats lose out, the dolphins win the division and we could get the pats at home.

With a win next Sunday and losses to the bengals and pats we got that #2 seed...we need that

Basically. 

We get 2nd seed if: we win against KC and Jax

and 

Pats and Bengals each lose at least one more game. 

Pats probable loss is @Ravens 

Cinci has 2 games at home vs the Vikes and Ravens. 

Basically Ravens could help us out big time 

youre talking if the bengals lose again, then it wouldnt be a 3-way 11-5 record. The bengals would be 10-6. Im talking if we all tied. Bengals take the 2nd, us 3rd, and pats 4th.

whats more amazing is if the phins win out, which is possible, and the pats lose out, the dolphins win the division and we could get the pats at home.

With Cincy's loss last night, if Indy, NE, and Cincy all finish at 11-5, then the Colts get the #2 seed.  Three way head to head doesn't apply since we didn't play the Pats.  Conf record is next - Colts would be 9-3 and the Pats and Cincy would be 8-4.  The 2 NFC losses we have means one less AFC loss if we all go 11-5.  That's why I said last month that the loss to AZ wouldn't hurt us as much as a loss to an AFC team.  Cincy would be #3 and NE is #4 (tiebreaker goes back to head to head for the 2 remaining teams).  The irony is all this is that we could actually be rooting for a NE win in week 17 if Cincy also finishes 11-5.  We'd be rooting against NE next Sun against the Ravens and rooting for them against Buff.

With Cincy's loss last night, if Indy, NE, and Cincy all finish at 11-5, then the Colts get the #2 seed.  Three way head to head doesn't apply since we didn't play the Pats.  Conf record is next - Colts would be 9-3 and the Pats and Cincy would be 8-4.  The 2 NFC losses we have means one less AFC loss if we all go 11-5.  That's why I said last month that the loss to AZ wouldn't hurt us as much as a loss to an AFC team.  Cincy would be #3 and NE is #4 (tiebreaker goes back to head to head for the 2 remaining teams).  The irony is all this is that we could actually be rooting for a NE win in week 17 if Cincy also finishes 11-5.  We'd be rooting against NE next Sun against the Ravens and rooting for them against Buff.

Not according to ESPN's playoff machine.  It is showing that if NE, CIN, and Indy all finish 11-5 that Cin will be the #2 seed.  In order for us to have the #2 seed it is showing that Cin and NE both have to lose another game.  http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Well every time i run the playoff machine, the Bengals are the two seed.  They wold have it because they beat us AND the patriots.  The head to head does apply. Then we would beat the Pats because of better conference record.  Sorry, but we arent the #2 seed if we all tie. 

So with the ravens win does that help our seeding?

With the Ravens winning (and winning out), the bengals have the possibility of not making the playoffs.  If the dolphins can win out against the jets and the bills, they would take the 6th.  So if we win out and the ravens do, we get the 2nd seed, New england 3rd and Baltimore 4th.  With the Chiefs at 5th and either the Bengals or Dolphins a 6th.

The best part of the Colts and Ravens winning out would be pigeon holing the Broncos, Pats, Chiefs in the 1,4,5 slots, just think about it :).

Bengals will lose tie-breaker to Dolphins (lost to Dolphins on an end zone safety by Cameron Wake in that Thursday Night football game) if they both finish 10-6 and will be out of the playoffs if the Ravens win out.

Thanks for clearing that up, what about if the Ravens win the North, I assume we still have the tie breaker on the pats due to conf. record, with 2 wins by the Colts and Ravens.

1.Denver            Cinci v Denver       

2.Indy                                                           Indy v Broncos  Epic

3.Pats                 KC v Indy

4.Ravens

5.Chiefs

6.Bengals

The best part of the Colts and Ravens winning out would be pigeon holing the Broncos, Pats, Chiefs in the 1,4,5 slots, just think about it :).

Bengals will lose tie-breaker to Dolphins (lost to Dolphins on an end zone safety by Cameron Wake in that Thursday Night football game) if they both finish 10-6 and will be out of the playoffs if the Ravens win out.

The pats will most likely get 3rd seed with the ravens 4th. Unless pats lose out. I dont think they will. But check this out. If the pats lose out and the dolphins win out...the dolphins take the 4th seed and the bengals get the 6th. Pats will be out !!! Otherwise they do get the 4th.

The pats will most likely get 3rd seed with the ravens 4th. Unless pats lose out. I dont think they will. But check this out. If the pats lose out and the dolphins win out...the dolphins take the 4th seed and the bengals get the 6th. Pats will be out !!! Otherwise they do get the 4th.

out of likes, I want tom to get home to his lovely wife earlier than usual.

Three or more teams
(Note: If two teams remain tied after the third step or other teams are eliminated, tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-team format.)
1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked team in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild-card participants.
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one team has defeated each of the others or if one team has lost to each of the others.)
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
5. Strength of victory.
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in conference games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
12. Coin toss.

I stand corrected - I forgot that Cincy beat NE early in the season.  I guess our best hope is that we win out and the Ravens win the North - which could happen.

If we play WC weekend, I'm hoping we get the Sunday game - I have to play at a wedding that Sat eve. )o: