Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Technically Manning Could Still Win Mvp Right?

WSO

He has never been more deserving than this year. This is too obvious and even Collinsworth brought up the comparison to the loss of Brady by the Pats and loss of BigBen by the Steelers. They should hand him the MVP every year no matter he plays or not until Colts finds their way to win without him, which may mean another 10 MVPs even when he sits on the couch for 10 yrs.

Edited by tonychen

By the definition of MVP he deserves much more than Rodgers.

I agree.. Flynn/WCO system would have the Packers playing with a winning record, but the media wouldn't make a mockery of the award by giving it to a player that didn't play a down. If he comes back for 2 games and we go 2-0, then they might have a point, but I don't see him playing.

It would be cool if he got more votes than Brady.

although Brady is having a good year, definitely not an MVP year

Rodgers will most likely win it but I would have a huge fat grin on my face if Manning got even 1 vote lol

That be cool by me as long as Brady is lifting the big trophy at the end of the year in Indy lol

Don't see it happening. This year's Pats are one brady injury away from accompanying Colts at the bottom.

But they still should be able to blow us out with their backup QB.

Edited by tonychen

Don't see it happening. This year's Pats are one brady injury away from accompanying Colts at the bottom.

But they still should be able to blow us out with their backup QB.

Except the Pats actually have a GOOD back up in place, so we prbl survive. (and our D has been improving and I knock on as much wood as I can keeep that going the right way lol) And at 5-1 we are in a good spot. :P

Technically Peyton could win MVP, he wont even come close but he can get votes.

I've always wondered how the media would react if Manning got even 1 vote despite never playing. I don't think it's ever happened to a player before.

Brady can't win without a defense.

Manning can. What were we 32nd in 2006?

Oh it was much worse than that. They were the 3rd worst run defense in NFL history.

Except that in that 2006 playoff run, the Colts defense was ranked #1...

Edited by dynasty13

I think this is the year we will see how Brady will fare in the playoffs w/o a good defense

basically Manning 98-04

We've seen that the last few years and he's been pretty bad. The last time he had a good post-season defense was the 2007 AFC Championship against San Diego. Which he needed, by the way, because he threw 3 picks and his D forced 3-and-outs each time.

Except that in that 2006 playoff run, the Colts defense was ranked #1...

But with a 32nd ranked defense during the season, no other QB would get his team to the playoffs. Sure, they put it together in the post-season, but they wouldn't have gotten there without Manning being the only QB in the history of the game capable of winning all by himself.

But with a 32nd ranked defense during the season, no other QB would get his team to the playoffs. Sure, they put it together in the post-season, but they wouldn't have gotten there without Manning being the only QB in the history of the game capable of winning all by himself.

Ah...another one of those famous 'only Peyton Manning could' speculative statistics from a Colts fan.

...its tough to argue those ones...

Edited by dynasty13

how where the colts the "32nd" rank defense in 2006 when they were 23rd in points per game and 21st in yards per game . . . what basis are you using to get to 32?

how where the colts the "32nd" rank defense in 2006 when they were 23rd in points per game and 21st in yards per game . . . what basis are you using to get to 32?

32nd in run defense is probably what they were talking about. 173 yards per game on the ground, good for first by quite a bit if I remember correctly.

32nd in run defense is probably what they were talking about. 173 yards per game on the ground, good for first by quite a bit if I remember correctly.

thanks supes, i don't buy into total defense numbers and the brain surgerons that try to say on TV who is were and what . . .there are many parts of the D, TOs, forced fumbers, INT (in which the colts were in the middle to top of the league in these catagories) along with the catagories we all mentioned in this thread is part of the D . . .

surely the colts were 32nd in run defense but were 2nd (by only 9 yrds per game) in past defense . . . so which one do we use to judge the defense . . . sure to a degree facing a weaker run D a team might pass less, but then again facing a solid pass D, teams will be force to run and get more yardage there . . .so that why i like to look at the whole package . . .

also if I remember, one of the colts version last decade, might of been '06, but i think it was the '08 version were the D led the league in fewest passing TD and/or fewest , if none, points of offense TOs . . .

so depending how one looks at the sitation we can come to different . . . i like to look at the whole package . . .

thanks supes, i don't buy into total defense numbers and the brain surgerons that try to say on TV who is were and what . . .there are many parts of the D, TOs, forced fumbers, INT (in which the colts were in the middle to top of the league in these catagories) along with the catagories we all mentioned in this thread is part of the D . . .

surely the colts were 32nd in run defense but were 2nd (by only 9 yrds per game) in past defense . . . so which one do we use to judge the defense . . . sure to a degree facing a weaker run D a team might pass less, but then again facing a solid pass D, teams will be force to run and get more yardage there . . .so that why i like to look at the whole package . . .

also if I remember, one of the colts version last decade, might of been '06, but i think it was the '08 version were the D led the league in fewest passing TD and/or fewest , if none, points of offense TOs . . .

so depending how one looks at the sitation we can come to different . . . i like to look at the whole package . . .

I don't think there's any one metric that can tell you who the best defense is, but I do think yardage can be accounted for.

You're right that one aspect can affect another, but in 2006, the Colts defense was plain bad. No two ways about it. We gave up over 100 yards rushing in every single game. We gave up a league worst ypc, which I think is a better stat than total yardage. Teams didn't run on us because our pass defense was so good; they didn't pass on us because our run defense was so awful. And it was the same in 2008, when we gave up I think 6 passing touchdowns, but we gave up 18 rushing touchdowns. They attacked us where we were weak. The total package tells a different story, but I think any way you look at it, you have to admit that we weren't good defensively overall in those years.

Contrast that with 2007, when we were near the top of the list in mostly every defensive category, and we got a bunch of turnovers, and we gave up fewer points, and that was a good defense. It started to fall apart in the second half of the year when our pass rushers got hurt, but when we started out 7-0, there was a reason behind it, and it wasn't just our offense. Same in 2005, though I don't think the numbers are quite as definitive.

How could it be anyone else? He is the team, the QB and the best defensive weapon. That much is perfectly clear.

Players dont win the league's Most Valuable Player award for what their teams do without them. Players win the league's Most Valuable Player award for what their teams do because of them.

Players dont win the league's Most Valuable Player award for what their teams do without them. Players win the league's Most Valuable Player award for what their teams do because of them.

Thank you..so if they were 0-12 without him

..and 4-0 with him

Case closed...Even Deion Sanders would vote for him and Deion hates Manning...

Thank you..so if they were 0-12 without him

..and 4-0 with him

Case closed...Even Deion Sanders would vote for him and Deion hates Manning...

Everyone knows Peyton Manning is the MVP of the Colts....noone will deny that. But Im sorry to tell you that no quarterback of a 4 win team, regardless of what they did when he wasnt starting, is going to win the league's Most Valuable Player award. Quarterbacks dont win MVP's for going 4-0...unless its the Superbowl MVP and those 4 games were all in January and February.

I'm joking obviously. You've got to have a sense of humor this season or else depression will swallow you whole. Of course you can't choose Manning for MVP when he hasn't taken a snap.

But, I do believe that Steve Nash won the NBA MVP for the games that he missed by exposing how bad the Suns were without him back in '05. So, I guess sometimes the voters do choose people for what their team does (or doesn't do) without them.

Um...Noooooooo.

The MVP award recognizes the player who makes the most valuable on-field contributions to his team. Peyton hasn't played a down this season and as such has not made any actual on-the-field game contributions to this team. Giving him the MVP would be essentially rewarding him for his own front office's lack of foresight and failure to plan for life without him. It's nonsensical. :hide: