Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Yawin Smallwood?

Whats your opinion of Borland

Good motor, stout against the run, think he'd be a liability in pass coverage, slow but from what I've seen he has some good burst and isn't as slow as some other prospects such as Skov. Also my preference if an ILB is picked I'd like him to be north of 6 feet. I'm no expert by any means but I feel those aspects of his game are easy to see. I enjoy watching tape during this time of year because I'm not working too much.

I'd like to add the more I watch Smallwood the more he become's my favorite ILB prospect and would consider taking him in the second if I was a GM. Dude is very balanced I think has a great potential. I might think differently come draft time.

Good motor, stout against the run, think he'd be a liability in pass coverage, slow but from what I've seen he has some good burst and isn't as slow as some other prospects such as Skov. Also my preference if an ILB is picked I'd like him to be north of 6 feet. I'm no expert by any means but I feel those aspects of his game are easy to see. I enjoy watching tape during this time of year because I'm not working too much.

I'd like to add the more I watch Smallwood the more he become's my favorite ILB prospect and would consider taking him in the second if I was a GM. Dude is very balanced I think has a great potential. I might think differently come draft time.

Yeah Borlands height is a bit of a concern, I think he is much more of a hitter then Smallwood though, I could see both Smallwood and Borland being a liability being a liability in pass coverage though, A late round steal in my opinion is Shawn Jacksonm excellent sideline to sideline speed, hard hitter,, Can be moved around to OLB and ILB and excellent in coverage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ztqdg__ojw

Because Kuechly is white as well and usually people with no accurate football knowledge will connect players with very stupid similarities, in this case skin color. Which seems to be the case anytime I see Borland compared to Kuechly. That's what it has to do with.

I dunno, I think Jared Abbrederis is a taller Wes Welker

Yeah Borlands height is a bit of a concern, I think he is much more of a hitter then Smallwood though, I could see both Smallwood and Borland being a liability being a liability in pass coverage though, A late round steal in my opinion is Shawn Jacksonm excellent sideline to sideline speed, hard hitter,, Can be moved around to OLB and ILB and excellent in coverage

He Looks good!!! Seems to read a react quite well. Has great speed for a LB and is a solid hitter. Seems to have a nose for the ball. A guy to maybe consider in the later rounds if he's there. Could be a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

Smallwood is really starting to grow on me. Love his athleticism. I think he is going to rise up the draft boards after the combine. I really hope he's still on the board and we draft this guy. He can do it all. He can cover, stop the run, has great awareness, can also rush the passer extremely well.

If I was give Yawin Smallwood a grade using NFL.coms draft evaluator format then I would give him a draft grade ranging in the 70-84 range which is "A quality player who will contribute to the team early on and is expected to develop into a starter. A reliable player who brings value to the position"

Lets Breakdown the overall physical characteristics a scout seems to look for in an 3-4 ILB

Size-Usually what i find when reading about what the typical coach who has installed a 3-4 defense they want there ILB's to weigh in the 240-250lbs range and stand 6' to 6'4', large and strong enough to take on and shed blocks if need be and stuff the run yet agile and quick enough to drop back into coverage in Man or Zone when the dituation calls for it. 7

Speed-This does not refer to a Linebackers 40 time but how fast does he play, does he react quick to plays? 7

Hands-Does he get his hands underneath the O Linemen when he has to take them on and long arms to separate from them and not allow that O Lineman into his body? 7

Tackling Ability-Does that ILB explode with his hips through the tackle wrapping up with his arms for an explosive yet sure tackle or does he show a bit of alligator arms and bounce or slide right off the ball carrier? 7

Explosion/Burst- This mainly has to do with timing the snap and exploding through your hips 6

Ability to shed blocks- when you do get into the back of an O Lineman, do you have the power and the savvy know how to use block shedding techniques to get off the block...Arm over move/Shrug Technique/spin move, rip move. 7

Change of Direction/Lateral Movement, Can he shuffle his feet quickly laterally (sideline to sideline if he needs to or in the middle of the field) 6

Balance-When flipping his hips when dropping back does he stumble/trip or fall or otherwise moving out on the field such as laterally, does he start off in a balanced stance having his weight evenly distributed. 8

Pass Coverage-After checking his gap responsibiliy does he react and react quickly flipping his hips as he drops back reading where the play is going breaking quickly on the ball carrier or the ball while reading the QB's eyes? 8

Loose Hips-This is epecially helpful when changing direction in the open field when trying to make an open field tackle, When trying to turn does your hips swivel with the your upper body turn or does your hips react slowly leaving you often to stumble or sometimes forced to lunge and come up empty on the tackle attempt and often times on the ground look up as the ball carrier is by then 20 yards downfield racing to the endzone. 6

Quickness-does he pick up his feet quickly reacting to the ball carrier and get to him quickly or is he often times one of the players arriving late to the ball usually only to get credited with a tackle that he had no part of to begin with. 6

Body Control-Self explanatory I think. 7

When watching Smallwood what jumped out to me quickly was his ability to flip his hips and ability to not look lost in man or zone coverage even to the point of making at occassional play on the ball, What I think he lacks is explosiveness to drive through his tackle attempts with bone jarring hits while he wraps up. Furthermore I graded on a scale 1-8 (which would mean a total possible of 96 points because I find it hard to give any player a 100 score)

81 out of a possible 96 points

Late 2nd or through the 3rd round propect