Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why not sign TJ Ward in FA?

Guest TeamLoloJones

People put too much into FS or SS.  Unless your defense plays with a single high safety every snap, you need two safeties that can play both.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/cleveland_browns_tj_ward_irked.html

The NFL does not supply official rankings that would measure Ward’s claim. The coaching staff might be privy to such detail, however. The website ProFootballFocus.com rates Ward as the league’s second-best overall safety behind New England’s Devin McCourty. A season ago, Ward was sixth-best, according to the site.

In terms of quarterback passer rating when a ball is thrown into a coverage area, Ward ranks 10th among safeties this season, according to ProFootballFocus. He’s never finished a year in the top-10. Opponents are completing 57.5 percent of their passes this season into his coverage area, placing him 18th, per the website.

I think he's more of a box safety, but the numbers support his claim that he does a good job in coverage. I personally would expect the Browns to tag Mack, not Ward, so he'll probably get to free agency.

Guest TeamLoloJones

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/12/cleveland_browns_tj_ward_irked.html

I think he's more of a box safety, but the numbers support his claim that he does a good job in coverage. I personally would expect the Browns to tag Mack, not Ward, so he'll probably get to free agency.

I think there is a good chance that one of them leaves the Browns, and which ever one of them leaves, we should definitely target.

Weird thing about the tag, though, it doesn't distinguish T vs G vs C for purposes of setting the salary. So it may make more sense for the Browns to tag Ward & work out a deal with Mack to keep from paying a C like a franchise LT. However, they do have a lot of Cap space so who knows?

http://overthecap.com/franchise-tags-lower-valued-positions-and-alex-mack/

"So I would think most teams would not consider using a tag on a Center. The Browns could be of a completely different mindset however. The team has over $20 million in cap room to carry over to 2014 and they will likely hit 2014 with nearly $45 million in salary cap space. For this particular team they may not see the harm in overpaying for a position."

Weird thing about the tag, though, it doesn't distinguish T vs G vs C for purposes of setting the salary. So it may make more sense for the Browns to tag Ward & work out a deal with Mack to keep from paying a C like a franchise LT. However, they do have a lot of Cap space so who knows?

http://overthecap.com/franchise-tags-lower-valued-positions-and-alex-mack/

"So I would think most teams would not consider using a tag on a Center. The Browns could be of a completely different mindset however. The team has over $20 million in cap room to carry over to 2014 and they will likely hit 2014 with nearly $45 million in salary cap space. For this particular team they may not see the harm in overpaying for a position."

Yeah, one way or the other they want to keep him, I think...

The Bills had a similar situation with Byrd and Levitre last year, but they didn't have the cap space the Browns should have (although they do have the space). So it's possible they let Mack walk, I just know that I wouldn't if I were running that team. Not a chance.

Ward has been probably my favorite safety in the league for years now (along with Bethea and a couple others), and saw a HUGE step forward this season. He's always been a pretty big hitter, and has improved in coverage, and has made some big plays this year.

So, as much as I like him, and as much as I would LOVE to see him in a Colts uni, the Colts would be better to keep their money, because he's getting a big payday and the Colts have a similar (not as good) player in Laron Landry. 

Ward has been probably my favorite safety in the league for years now (along with Bethea and a couple others), and saw a HUGE step forward this season. He's always been a pretty big hitter, and has improved in coverage, and has made some big plays this year.

So, as much as I like him, and as much as I would LOVE to see him in a Colts uni, the Colts would be better to keep their money, because he's getting a big payday and the Colts have a similar (not as good) player in Laron Landry.

He's way better then Bethea in coverage tho that's what we need more then anything

He's way better then Bethea in coverage tho that's what we need more then anything

Like I said though, he's going to get a big payday.

If Antoine's asking for something close to TJ, the Colts better jump on TJ, but I expect Antoine to go for a pretty good price, which at that point, is a better buy than Ward.

Again though, if the Colts spent some money on Ward, you won't hear me complaining. Hard working, talented player that continues to improve. Love that guy. 

Like I said though, he's going to get a big payday.

If Antoine's asking for something close to TJ, the Colts better jump on TJ, but I expect Antoine to go for a pretty good price, which at that point, is a better buy than Ward.

Again though, if the Colts spent some money on Ward, you won't hear me complaining. Hard working, talented player that continues to improve. Love that guy.

If it was up to me we would only get 3 players in FA I want 4 but that's prolly not possible lol

Ward is a 'box' safety. He patrols the middle of the field and lays people out when they come across the middle or down the seam. While he's very good at what he does, I'd rather have a deep safety that just plain makes plays on the ball and doesn't allow completions; Jairus Byrd.

Are you okay with giving Byrd $10m/year or more? That's probably what it's going to take...

Are you okay with giving Byrd $10m/year or more? That's probably what it's going to take...

If anyone knows the answer to this question, I think it's you....

But do ANY safeties get $10 mill a year?     Off the top of my head, I can't think of any...

Doesn't mean there isn't one....   but I think it's rare....    I'm just not sure the position justifies that kind of money....

But do ANY safeties get $10 mill a year?     Off the top of my head, I can't think of any...

Doesn't mean there isn't one....   but I think it's rare....    I'm just not sure the position justifies that kind of money....

Polamalu averages $9,125,000 over the last 3 years(Highest average)....will be 4 assuming they keep him next year...the final year of his deal...Bethea comes in in 10th averaging $6,750,000 from 2010-2013

Polamalu averages $9,125,000 over the last 3 years(Highest average)....will be 4 assuming they keep him next year...the final year of his deal...Bethea comes in in 10th averaging $6,750,000 from 2010-2013

Thanks for the good 411.  

Always very much appreciated.       :thmup:

That said,  I'm still not sure I want Byrd even at less than $10 mill per?  

Not sure where my comfort level for a safety would be....  but I think we have other needs that are more pressing....

Thanks for the good 411.  

Always very much appreciated.       :thmup:

That said,  I'm still not sure I want Byrd even at less than $10 mill per?  

Not sure where my comfort level for a safety would be....  but I think we have other needs that are more pressing....

In all probability we resign Bethea, probably with some incentive bonus tied into his base salary with perhaps a 1 year less then what his last contract was (4 years)

I'm not that thrilled with the concept of paying a safety that kind of money, but like Gavin said, it happens. http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/safety/limit-25/

The five highest paid safeties average $8.2m/year. Polamalu is highest, and averages $9.125m/year. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. He's one of the three best in the league, with Weddle and Earl Thomas. Pencil him in at $10m/year. I don't think I'd want to give him that kind of money.

I'm not that thrilled with the concept of paying a safety that kind of money, but like Gavin said, it happens. http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/safety/limit-25/

The five highest paid safeties average $8.2m/year. Polamalu is highest, and averages $9.125m/year. Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the league. He's one of the three best in the league, with Weddle and Earl Thomas. Pencil him in at $10m/year. I don't think I'd want to give him that kind of money.

Me neither!    

That's a salary cap killer!    Yuk!!

Oh.....  one other thing....  

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!       :thmup: