Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR Griff Whalen elevated to 53-Man Roster, CB Jalil Brown waived

Caleb3502

Prime Example: The interception Andrew Luck threw against the Dolphins this year. Griff Whalen WIDE OPEN running a drag route across the middle, Andrew throws it up to Reggie Wayne smh

Having a HOF WR on your team has it's pros & cons I tell you :sigh:

or the Texans game when whalen ran a wheel route and was wide open in back of endzone but luck didn't see him.

So is Griff Whalen. Arguing over which dumpster fire stinks less is largely pointless, but if you have to take one, at least make it the one that can be disguised as something other than a dumpster fire for a play or two.

Personally, if we're working under the assumption that both of them are dumpster fires, I'd take the dumpster fire that's making league minimum over the dumpster fire that counts 2.5 mil against the cap.

Personally, if we're working under the assumption that both of them are dumpster fires, I'd take the dumpster fire that's making league minimum over the dumpster fire that counts 2.5 mil against the cap.

Bey's contract was a one year deal at a very meager cost, making cutting him utterly pointless from a salary cap standpoint, especially when most of it has already been paid and cutting him wouldnt remove that from the cap this year. You do realize this, right?

Bey's contract was a one year deal at a very meager cost, making cutting him utterly pointless from a salary cap standpoint, especially when most of it has already been paid and cutting him wouldnt remove that from the cap this year. You do realize this, right?

Considering his production, I doubt Irsay thinks the cost was all that "meager".

We have some nice WRs and ONE promising beast in Rogers...but Hilton is a #2 at best and easily shut down, Brazill had one good game but is unproven and MAY be injury-prone, Reggie is getting up there in years and won't play much longer, Whalen is a career fill-in.

Grigson will just have to go out and get his associate Jeremy Maclin (25 y/o;born May 11) who he had a hand in drafting...and called him the best WR in that draft class. He is a #1 talent and can step in and play the 'Reggie' role for the Colts for years to come.

...also saves us a draft pick for the D.

I'd figure I would bring a little more perspective  to this Whalen-DHB debate:

DHB-11 starts....13 games played.....29 catches 309 yards 2 TD's 10.7 yards per catch

Whalen-6 games....0 starts.... 9 catches 102 yards 11.3 yards per catch but 0 TD's

Now obviously Whalen does not bring the measurables that DHB does......But those measurables dont mean a thing if you dont know the basics of catching a football, Im not campaigning  for either because I think upgrades can be had in the offseason over them...and will.......But Im sick and tired of watching DHB sent out there with all his potential with this being his 5th year in the league only to watch him not be able to perform the most fundamental act of his position and thats catch the freakin football

Prime Example: The interception Andrew Luck threw against the Dolphins this year. Griff Whalen WIDE OPEN running a drag route across the middle, Andrew throws it up to Reggie Wayne smh

Having a HOF WR on your team has it's pros & cons I tell you :sigh:

* Brent Grimes. Gahhhhh

Numerous is a stretch. But hey we'll see this week. Wayne is out and Luck didn't have any problems getting it to Rogers and Brazill last week.

not a stretch at all.  If you go back and watch all the games he has played in like I did, you will see that against the Texans (his most targets) he had tons of times when he was separated but not targeted.  He was also open a lot in the Tennessee game and St. Louis game.  I literally have already posted about this exact same thing and broke down every single one of his snaps and targets, most of which were very poorly thrown by Andrew Luck.

DHB-11 starts....13 games played.....29 catches 309 yards 2 TD's 10.7 yards per catch

Whalen-6 games....0 starts.... 9 catches 102 yards 11.3 yards per catch but 0 TD's

Now obviously Whalen does not bring the measurables that DHB does......But those measurables dont mean a thing if you dont know the basics of catching a football, Im not campaigning  for either because I think upgrades can be had in the offseason over them...and will.......But Im sick and tired of watching DHB sent out there with all his potential with this being his 5th year in the league only to watch him not be able to perform the most fundamental act of his position and thats catch the freakin football

I thought dhb only had 1 td

DHB is not better than Griff Whalen. DHB isn't better than any of the forum members kids. He's garbage

DHB is better at getting separation........but what's the point since he can't catch once open. Whalen can catch the ball, but really struggles getting separation. The one thing about DHB is that he can actually block.

Wow I didn't know everyone thought Whalen was that bad. From what little I saw from him I thought he was a pretty average WR, but definitely an upgrade over DHB. He seemed to have pretty good hands, and was able to pick up a few first downs. Like others have said there was several times that he was wide open and Luck just never seen him. I don't think he would ever be spectacular but I would take him over DHB any day.

Wow I didn't know everyone thought Whalen was that bad. From what little I saw from him I thought he was a pretty average WR, but definitely an upgrade over DHB. He seemed to have pretty good hands, and was able to pick up a few first downs. Like others have said there was several times that he was wide open and Luck just never seen him. I don't think he would ever be spectacular but I would take him over DHB any day.

I don't think he's bad.  I don't think he has the speed to be anything special in the NFL but with the shape the Colts are in at WR right now though he's an end of the roster type of guy.  Maybe we can surgically give DHB's his hands?

I was thinking about Chris Owusu as a quick replacement for DHB, or to be used as another player behind Brazil but I see he is on the active roster for Tampa Bay.  Owusu runs 4.3 I believe and has better hands than DHB, plus he knows Peps system.  I was unsure if he was still available, but it looks like not.

I was thinking about Chris Owusu as a quick replacement for DHB, or to be used as another player behind Brazil but I see he is on the active roster for Tampa Bay.  Owusu runs 4.3 I believe and has better hands than DHB, plus he knows Peps system.  I was unsure if he was still available, but it looks like not.

Very physical receiver, nice size, fast, but not a good route runner, and questionable hands. On top of that, he has some serious concussion and injury issues that threatened his career. I wouldn't be interested, overall.

Very physical receiver, nice size, fast, but not a good route runner, and questionable hands. On top of that, he has some serious concussion and injury issues that threatened his career. I wouldn't be interested, overall.

I'm speaking about for this last couple of games and into the playoffs.  Not necessarily a long term solution.

I think he would have been a decent fit for what we've got going on right now.  I'm uneducated as far as his

injury and concussion issues.  But I have noticed Luck rarely hangs you out to dry so it could possibly be

less of a risk.  I was just speculating on Owusu a bit.  

If he was available I'd add him in a heart beat to the practice squad(if possible) and get rid of Josh Lenz.  We could of maybe had Owusu(if he was available) and Whalen on the practice squad providing depth for Rogers/DHB and Brazil.  

I was thinking about Chris Owusu as a quick replacement for DHB, or to be used as another player behind Brazil but I see he is on the active roster for Tampa Bay. Owusu runs 4.3 I believe and has better hands than DHB, plus he knows Peps system. I was unsure if he was still available, but it looks like not.

is he a Stanford kid? If so then absolutely not

is he a Stanford kid? If so then absolutely not

Is Luck not a "Stanford Kid"?  What point are you trying to make?  He would certainly be up to speed with offense, and he played with Luck but it's a mute point now because he's already on the active roster for Tampa Bay.  I'd take a Stanford kid at this point in the season when you look at what kind of time it would take to bring in anyone else and get them up to speed with the offense.

Not a big fan of the stanford cardinal (yes, it's not cardinals), because they're looking quite soft and wimpy at the pro level (luck being the exception). However, coby has made strides this year. I'll pass on any other cardinal, including the much talked about SKOV.

Is Luck not a "Stanford Kid"? What point are you trying to make? He would certainly be up to speed with offense, and he played with Luck but it's a mute point now because he's already on the active roster for Tampa Bay. I'd take a Stanford kid at this point in the season when you look at what kind of time it would take to bring in anyone else and get them up to speed with the offense.

because ever since we drafted luck, fans are constantly wanting to bring in every average player Stanford puts out. It annoys me

Not a big fan of the stanford cardinal (yes, it's not cardinals), because they're looking quite soft and wimpy at the pro level (luck being the exception). However, coby has made strides this year. I'll pass on any other cardinal, including the much talked about SKOV.

Richard Sherman is soft & wimpy?

Good info.  All these people sayin Whalen drops as many as DHB. Well Whalen hasn't played nearly as much, if he is still dropping a lot by the end of the year then maybe you can say he is as bad as DHB with drops. As of right now though he has played in a lot less games and hasn't started any. So anyone sayin Whalen is as bad as DHB is judging without enough of a sampling of Whalen.