Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Something interesting occured to me today

danlhart87

I don't see the point in trading for a QB that isn't any better than the other 1st round QBs in this class that has also used up 2 years of his rookie contract already. And why in the world would KC trade for Cousins when they just traded for Smith?

Smith didnt cost them much pickwise, and hes honestly not been good enough to be a traditional Andy "# the run" Reid QB. They need a franchise QB there going forward. Name another team with a late first round pick that would salivate as hard at an opprotunity to kick the tires on a young QB that shows promise.

I may be the only person here to believe that Locker will stay the Titans QB next year.

I see Houston going for the home state boy with Johnny Football.

Jacksonville will likely go Teddy Bridgewater or Bortles.

3 QBs, and possibly either Manziel or Bridgewater will stay at school. Manziel just looks like he is about ready to leave A&M, especially after everything that has happened this year.

I may be the only person here to believe that Locker will stay the Titans QB next year.

I see Houston going for the home state boy with Johnny Football.

Jacksonville will likely go Teddy Bridgewater or Bortles.

3 QBs, and possibly either Manziel or Bridgewater will stay at school. Manziel just looks like he is about ready to leave A&M, especially after everything that has happened this year.

Manziel wants the freedom of the NFL more than a college degree. He is coming out whether its advisable or not. Bridgewater may stay, but that would hurt him in the long run, as he would be in direct competition for top spot with Winston Jameis. Marriotta is already known to be staying until his senior year. Bridgewater may get his best payday this year.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Smith didnt cost them much pickwise, and hes honestly not been good enough to be a traditional Andy "# the run" Reid QB. They need a franchise QB there going forward. Name another team with a late first round pick that would salivate as hard at an opprotunity to kick the tires on a young QB that shows promise.

The Chiefs gave up their 2nd round 2013 pick already.  And if the Chiefs finished the 2013 season above .500 (which they will) then the conditional 2014 3rd round pick they also gave up, becomes a 2014 2nd round pick.  That's a lot to throw away after one season.  And Alex Smith is the perfect fit for Andy Reid's offense, I'm not sure if you know much about Andy's offense.  I think the only team that should go after Cousins, is a team that needs a QB and can't get their guy in the next draft.  And then trade a 2015 pick or two.  I would not trade for Cousins before the draft, no matter the team.

The Chiefs gave up their 2nd round 2013 pick already. And if the Chiefs finished the 2013 season above .500 (which they will) then the conditional 2014 3rd round pick they also gave up, becomes a 2014 2nd round pick. That's a lot to throw away after one season. And Alex Smith is the perfect fit for Andy Reid's offense, I'm not sure if you know much about Andy's offense. I think the only team that should go after Cousins, is a team that needs a QB and can't get their guy in the next draft. And then trade a 2015 pick or two. I would not trade for Cousins before the draft, no matter the team.

I herped. I thought both Chiefs picks were from last year which would leave them with their full slate this year. Not the case.

The Redskins want a first rounder this year to rebuild around Griffin. Cousins is their chip to get that. Nobody is getting him without a 2014 pick attached.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I herped. I thought both Chiefs picks were from last year which would leave them with their full slate this year. Not the case.

The Redskins want a first rounder this year to rebuild around Griffin. Cousins is their chip to get that. Nobody is getting him without a 2014 pick attached.

Yeah...I'm not saying it won't happen, but If I was a GM, I wouldn't bother.  Plus if no one bites on Cousins before the draft his price will go down.  And any one that gives up a first round pick for Cousins is over paying.  He's a solid QB, but his skill set is not worthy of a 1st round pick.  Especially with so many good QBs in this years' and next years' draft.

Yeah I think he'll be good if given a chance plus I'm a MSU fan

Every time I talk about how smart it was for the Skins to draft RGIII and Cousins, a lot of people would say that was dumb. I've always been a proponent of taking "the best player available" and not draft to position.   

He at least deserves a shot to start somewhere, if not in Washington. I just hope no one is too quick to judge him in 4-5 live games with how terrible their team is.

Why? Barkley is garbage. Philly would take anything you would give them for him.

Barkley being garbage is based on what exactly? I was far more impressed with Barkley at USC than I was with Cousins at MSU. And neither have played enough in the Nfl to alter the opinions I formed watching them in college.

Barkley being garbage is based on what exactly? I was far more impressed with Barkley at USC than I was with Cousins at MSU. And neither have played enough in the Nfl to alter the opinions I formed watching them in college.

USC QBs are never good in the pros. The closest one ever got was Palmer, who was okay but never great. Barkley looked completely out of his depth behind the same line that Foles has been tearing the NFL up with. Cousins at least looks competent in his few starts, and arguably has been on par with Griffin.

The idea that Barkley is worth more than a ham sandwhich with extra mustard to Philly is laughable.

Six weeks ago I thought this was going to be a good and deep QB draft.  Now it's dwindling fast.  Still, I can't see AZ or Cleveland wanting Cousins, he doesn't seem to fit the vertical passing schemes of Arians and Norv Turner.  I could see Cleveland taking Bortles, and Arians putting Mettenberger (torn ACL) on his roster behind Palmer next year grooming him to take over in 2015, especially if he falls to round 2 or 3.  Hundley should return to UCLA for another year, but dwindling QB prospects might make him enter this draft, despite any hints from Mora otherwise.  Manziel needs to grow up mentally/emotionally to make the next step.  Taj Boyd probably isn't going to be Russell Wilson 2.0.  AJ McCarron is likely better than I give him credit for. Jimmy Garoppolo is interesting.  Carr is intriguing, and Bridgewater the front runner.

But it seems to me next year could also be the year of the QB as far as draft with Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, and some other potentials.  I hope Titans don't take Mettenberger to take over for Locker.

Every time I talk about how smart it was for the Skins to draft RGIII and Cousins, a lot of people would say that was dumb. I've always been a proponent of taking "the best player available" and not draft to position.

He at least deserves a shot to start somewhere, if not in Washington. I just hope no one is too quick to judge him in 4-5 live games with how terrible their team is.

Yeah if he can get on a team with some help he can be good

USC QBs are never good in the pros. The closest one ever got was Palmer, who was okay but never great. Barkley looked completely out of his depth behind the same line that Foles has been tearing the NFL up with. Cousins at least looks competent in his few starts, and arguably has been on par with Griffin.

The idea that Barkley is worth more than a ham sandwhich with extra mustard to Philly is laughable.

I've seen the "USC qbs never pan out in the NFL" argument before and frankly I can't think of a more stupid argument that could be used against Barkley. Each qb is different.

And Barkley looked completely out of depth....in his first live NFL action as a rookie? Imagine that.

Cousins being on par with Griffin really isn't the best argument either IMO. I wasn't overly impressed with griffin at Baylor either. He could throw a screen and the go route as well as anyone but his accuracy was pretty poor on pretty much any other type of throw. I'd have drafted foles or tannehill long before I'd have even considered drafting griffin.