Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Laconfora On Irsay , Polian & Caldwell, Just Now On Nfl Network

bayone

Basically he cant belive Irsay will say that he put such a team togetrher that can lose like this so its someone else s fault

Then said Caldwell has made many a questionable in game decision during his tenure

Finally he said but is it really Caldwell calling the shots as many in the media believe hes Bill Polians puppet , so both may be blamed for current situation by Irsay
Edited by bayone

Basically he cant belive Irsay will say that he put such a team togetrher that can lose like this so its someone else s fault

Then said Caldwell has made many a questionable in game decision during his tenure

Finally he said but is it really Caldwell calling the shots as many in the media believe hes Bill Polians puppet , so both may be blamed for current situation by Irsay

I have said that the polians are as responsible as caldwell for this fiasco.Bill tobin was fired and probaly will have a better record than the polians will have this year.

Jim Irsay immediately took to Twitter after the debacle and apologized to fans.

http://www.stampedeb...es-to#storyjump

Titanic collapse,apologies 2 all ColtsNation..problems identifiable;solutions in progress but complex in nature/ better days will rise again

Colts center and player union leader Jeff Saturday went on a local Indianapolis sports show last night following the game and dropped the 'we got out-coached' bomb on everyone.

Even during the 6-10 season in 2001 under Jim Mora Sr., we never saw Jeff call out his coach. He never called out Caldwell in 2009 when the Polians ordered starters would be rested in the final two games; a move Saturday still get red-in-the-face about when people bring it up. But, after losing 62-7, Jeff probably has had enough. Can't say I blame him.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/10/24/2510141/jeff-saturday-calls-out-coach-caldwell-while-jim-irsay-apologies-to#storyjump

Edited by bayone

Titanic collapse,apologies 2 all ColtsNation..problems identifiable;solutions in progress but complex in nature/ better days will rise again

Colts center and player union leader Jeff Saturday went on a local Indianapolis sports show last night following the game and dropped the 'we got out-coached' bomb on everyone.

Even during the 6-10 season in 2001 under Jim Mora Sr., we never saw Jeff call out his coach. He never called out Caldwell in 2009 when the Polians ordered starters would be rested in the final two games; a move Saturday still get red-in-the-face about when people bring it up. But, after losing 62-7, Jeff probably has had enough. Can't say I blame him.

Up till last night I honstly thought Caldwell would keep his job after this season but last night they didn't just lose or just get blown out they got embarssed. I kept expecting to see a point where pride just took over for the Colts and got a stop and it just never came which told me they quit. Now follow that up with these coments by the guy who is probably the leader of the Colts lockerroom right now and that tells me Caldwell is losing the lockerroom and no coach can stay if that happens.

I want to add though, i you lose 62-7 that means there is more problems with this team than just the coaching staff. So I wont lay all the blame at their feet and more changes need to be made this off-season than just the coaches.

Of course Saturday would be upset, the whole team looked emotionally demolished last night......

IMO, the whole organization is at fault for the way things have become......You can point fingers at anybody and place the blame on them but, it is ultimately the organization who is at fault.

The players are the product on the field & we have some pretty good product as far as Saturday, Wayne, Collie, Bethea, Mathis etc .... so they'll eventually give us an indication to whats actually happening. If you've been watchin the league like I have for many years, you can tell when the stuff hits the fan from the top down.

I cant believe a Coach can still have a job after being 0-7. Caldwell and Coyer should be jobless right now including Polian. Together these guys have self destructed the Colts. Caldwell cant take charge as a head coach and call a simple play. Coyer is running the Tampa 2. Which DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. Its time to put 5 on the line. Pressure is key to getting the QB and stopping the run. Polian needs to stop picking up scabs.And going after the Good guys. look 1 year we Won with scabs. Its time to pay the big bucks for great players. I have had it of Polian picking injury prone scabs. This year we have a entire rookie D. Look were that's getting us, Nothing. We cant even get a win. Its time for a change and re-shape this team. Because were we are at now, a College football team cold beat us.

I cant believe a Coach can still have a job after being 0-7. Caldwell and Coyer should be jobless right now including Polian. Together these guys have self destructed the Colts. Caldwell cant take charge as a head coach and call a simple play. Coyer is running the Tampa 2. Which DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. Its time to put 5 on the line. Pressure is key to getting the QB and stopping the run. Polian needs to stop picking up scabs.And going after the Good guys. look 1 year we Won with scabs. Its time to pay the big bucks for great players. I have had it of Polian picking injury prone scabs. This year we have a entire rookie D. Look were that's getting us, Nothing. We cant even get a win. Its time for a change and re-shape this team. Because were we are at now, a College football team cold beat us.

Put 5 on the line? You want us to run a goalline defense all game? Or do you want us to run a 5-2-4? Neither would work. Both are bad ideas. I'm glad no one will ever take this idea seriously.

It's time to pay the big bucks for great players? What do you call Peyton Manning, Dwight Freeney, Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders? All four of them were, at one time, the highest paid player at their position. Not to mention Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis, Jeff Saturday, Kelvin Hayden, etc. The problem isn't the money that's being paid to players. It might be that money went to the wrong players (Bob Sanders, Kelvin Hayden). But people who paint the Colts as cheap because they don't make big free agent splashes aren't paying attention. The Colts are consistently at the top of the league in payroll.

I do agree with you that Caldwell should be fired (this is a milestone, because up until two or three weeks ago, Caldwell wasn't in my crosshairs). I do agree that Coyer is ruining any chance our defense has to be effective with his ridiculous playcalling and lack of adjustments. You're just going overboard, not that I blame you. 62-7 is an atrocity, and there are certain people that should be held accountable for it.

Edited by Superman

Its finally time for the owner to take action. He has riden the Polian express to the end of its line. Bill Polian has successfully pushed his son into a NFL job. He has down graded the coaching staff. I say he has ridden Peytons coatails long enough. Mr. Irsay needs to clean house up stairs. At least the players will see he still wants to win and is still the top dog. From top to bottom, no one really knows who is calling the shots. Polian has been the shot caller long enough.

I have worked for companies run just like this. It was very tough to go to work every day and give your best. Ultimately you give up and leave.

Tonight the Jaguars played their hearts out and beat the Ravens on national TV. That is how a team plays for its coach. The Jags were 1-5 and could have folded against a much better Ravens team, but they didn't. Jack Del Rio will still probably get fired at the end of the season but his team is still playing for him and it shows. You cannot tell me that they have more talent than the colts do. They are starting a rookie QB and still have managed to win 2 games so far.

I'll say it again, coaching is PART of the problem. However, even if we fired our coaches that's not going to fix our issues or even really the main three issues which is injuries (people seem to forget we have several key players beyond Peyton Manning, as if Peyton being hurt isn't enough, hurt), a lack of talent, and a lack of experience.

You don't get beat 62-7 in the NFL and only have an issue at the coaching spot.

Saturday actually tried to clear up his words today.

"I said that as a team, we were out-played, we were out-coached. There is nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I've been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on."

I'll say it again, coaching is PART of the problem. However, even if we fired our coaches that's not going to fix our issues or even really the main three issues which is injuries (people seem to forget we have several key players beyond Peyton Manning, as if Peyton being hurt isn't enough, hurt), a lack of talent, and a lack of experience.

You don't get beat 62-7 in the NFL and only have an issue at the coaching spot.

But you do have a big one when the players have quit on the coach. I just wish the organization would have started feeling some "urgency" concerning the state of the team a few years earlier.

Oh well .... now I'm sure both the Colts and Dolphins will go 0 fer... and Miami will win the Luck bowl.

Saturday actually tried to clear up his words today.

"I said that as a team, we were out-played, we were out-coached. There is nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I've been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on."

Absolutely nothing wrong with what Jeff Saturday said. And I loved, loved, LOVED his follow-up comments:

“I didn’t say that,” Saturday said before clarifying his feelings. “I said that as a team we were outplayed, we were outcoached and there was nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I’ve been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on, we did. We didn’t play well at all, and there’s no scapegoat in this. If you can’t look at all 53 guys and know that we all screwed it up, and we all got beat as bad as you can get beat. There are not enough fingers to go around, so we all share the same burden here and the same blame. We’ve got to get it fixed and go play better next week.”

“I don’t know, it’s always hard for me to judge people’s effort,” Saturday said in comments distributed by the team. “I’ve heard of that a long time in my career about effort, but the bottom-line is that we’re in a wins and losses game. If you don’t win, then it really makes no difference. We didn’t play well. No matter if we played with effort or didn’t play with effort, we got beat up and got beat. I’ve never met anybody on our team who hasn’t given his 100 percent, and tried as hard as he possibly could. I know I do. Down 62-7, you’re still trying to do the very best you can, because it’s on tape. Somebody’s evaluating you, and some fan who has followed you your whole career is watching to see if you’re the same guy. I think that’s the same for every player in this locker room. We give it the best we can, but that’s not good enough to win games.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/29773/jeff-saturday-not-blaming-jim-caldwell

Edited by Superman

But you do have a big one when the players have quit on the coach. I just wish the organization would have started feeling some "urgency" concerning the state of the team a few years earlier.

Oh well .... now I'm sure both the Colts and Dolphins will go 0 fer... and Miami will win the Luck bowl.

The more I think about it I am not so sure the team did quit. They were still trying to make plays it just wasn't happening and I think that has more to do with injuries, a lack of talent and expierence and playing a really good team that was coming off a game where they played really bad in maybe the hardest stadium in the NFL to play. It was was a really bad situation for the Colts to be going into. I will say this though, it really bothered me that at some point the Colts pride didn't take over, normally when you see a team getting it's tail kicked like the Colts were at some point their pride takes over and they do something and it just never happened on Sunday night for the Colts they just kinda took their beating and went about their business and that probably bothered me the most and that I will put on the coaches. You just can't lose a game 62-7 in the NFL and pretend like the coaches had nothing to do with it. I think they share the blame but you don't get beat 62-7 and be able to say they were just out coached and that was the only reason. There are other bigger issues at work here. It doesn't mean Caldwell should get a pass but he shouldn't have to shoulder all the blame for this by himself either, there is plunty that should be and needs to be spread around. Sunday night was a nightmare game in a nightmare season.

Edited by GoColts8818

The more I think about it I am not so sure the team did quit. They were still trying to make plays it just wasn't happening and I think that has more to do with injuries, a lack of talent and expierence and playing a really good team that was coming off a game where they played really bad in maybe the hardest stadium in the NFL to play. It was was a really bad situation for the Colts to be going into. I will say this though, it really bothered me that at some point the Colts pride didn't take over, normally when you see a team getting it's tail kicked like the Colts were at some point their pride takes over and they do something and it just never happened on Sunday night for the Colts they just kinda took their beating and went about their business and that probably bothered me the most and that I will put on the coaches. You just can't lose a game 62-7 in the NFL and pretend like the coaches had nothing to do with it. I think they share the blame but you don't get beat 62-7 and be able to say they were just out coached and that was the only reason. There are other bigger issues at work here. It doesn't mean Caldwell should get a pass but he shouldn't have to shoulder all the blame for this by himself either, there is plunty that should be and needs to be spread around. Sunday night was a nightmare game in a nightmare season.

I totally respect your opinion. but you are sounding like Joe Stayzniak... or whoever.. who talks with Grady.

It hurts to say this but this team is totally lost. I just don't have words to ...

nevermind.. Were all Colt fans we will rise above.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what Jeff Saturday said. And I loved, loved, LOVED his follow-up comments:

“I didn’t say that,” Saturday said before clarifying his feelings. “I said that as a team we were outplayed, we were outcoached and there was nothing that we did better than they did yesterday. I’ve been in this game way too long to try to lay the blame on anybody else. No coach put pads on, we did. We didn’t play well at all, and there’s no scapegoat in this. If you can’t look at all 53 guys and know that we all screwed it up, and we all got beat as bad as you can get beat. There are not enough fingers to go around, so we all share the same burden here and the same blame. We’ve got to get it fixed and go play better next week.”

“I don’t know, it’s always hard for me to judge people’s effort,” Saturday said in comments distributed by the team. “I’ve heard of that a long time in my career about effort, but the bottom-line is that we’re in a wins and losses game. If you don’t win, then it really makes no difference. We didn’t play well. No matter if we played with effort or didn’t play with effort, we got beat up and got beat. I’ve never met anybody on our team who hasn’t given his 100 percent, and tried as hard as he possibly could. I know I do. Down 62-7, you’re still trying to do the very best you can, because it’s on tape. Somebody’s evaluating you, and some fan who has followed you your whole career is watching to see if you’re the same guy. I think that’s the same for every player in this locker room. We give it the best we can, but that’s not good enough to win games.”

http://espn.go.com/b...ng-jim-caldwell

Thanks for posting that. I find it funny that the masses jumped on the " see even Jeff Saturday is calling out the coaches" bus. He was making a painfully obvious statement, one that is made many times a season by losing palyers/coaches/GM's etc.

The other thing that cracks me up is all the" we won't do anything", "Polian is making excuses", "the Colts are to cheap to care" nonsense. Changes will be made. There's no way, barring some kind of miraculous tunaround ( not holding my breath on that one) that Caldwell and Coyer are back wich means many of the other coaches will be gone too. Polian will probably still be around and I don't have a problem with that. What does make me a little nervous is that Bill is stepping back and Chris is stepping forward, but being that there are not sure thing GM's waiting in the wings team Polian is about as well equiped as anyone to go into next years draft.

Almost every team in the league has cycled through a good and bad phase at least once ( the exceptions being the steelers and Pats ) in the time that we have been good now the inevitable is catching up to us. The good news is that ( assuming he is healthy) we have the best player in the game (history?) coming back, along with some guys who will really help ie. Costanzo, Nevis etc.. Our time at the bottom might be much shorter lived than other team's.

First step, Bring in the right guy as head coach and get a D coordinator who knows what he is doing. Having said that, what do people think about this scenario, The Vickings fire Frazier and we bring him in as D coordinator. It may be more cover 2 but certainly with some variety and a good knowledge of secondary play. As far as the head coach goes, as I said before we need to bring in the RIGHT guy for the situation. He needs to be able to let Manning do his thing while guiding the offense and he needs to be a god teacher for the young guys. Both of these qualities are what, I THINK, landed Caldwell the job. So, we need to add to the list a guy who can game plan and adjust on the fly. His side line demeaner is irrelivant.

One last thought, I say we keep O line coach Metzillars, and maybe the new RB coach. I think they are doing a pretty good job.

First step, Bring in the right guy as head coach and get a D coordinator who knows what he is doing. Having said that, what do people think about this scenario, The Vickings fire Frazier and we bring him in as D coordinator. It may be more cover 2 but certainly with some variety and a good knowledge of secondary play. As far as the head coach goes, as I said before we need to bring in the RIGHT guy for the situation. He needs to be able to let Manning do his thing while guiding the offense and he needs to be a god teacher for the young guys. Both of these qualities are what, I THINK, landed Caldwell the job. So, we need to add to the list a guy who can game plan and adjust on the fly. His side line demeaner is irrelivant.

One last thought, I say we keep O line coach Metzillars, and maybe the new RB coach. I think they are doing a pretty good job.

I completely agree...and I think that the guy who fits that bill the best and also has the type of demeanor that I think would fit very well with the personality of our players is Brian Billick. I like the idea of Frazier and I like the fact that his specialty in coaching is with the DB's. Given the current roster and the direction we're likely to go in the draft we're going to have a lot of young, inexperienced but hopefully talented players that are going to need some great coaching. If not Frazier then Jack Del Rio is another candidate I would highly consider if he winds up getting fired and is willing to take a DC position.

If Clyde isn't brought back then I wouldn't mind seeing consideration given to Bill Callahan for OC. The thing I like about him is if he has a specialty I'd say it's OL coaching and I'd like to see an experienced coach with a proven ability to work with young players on the OL and coach them into a formidable unit. Also both Callahan (with the Raiders) and Billick (when he was with Minnesota) have experience with high powered offenses but they both were careful to also keep balance with the running game. I don't see either one of them really trying to make any major changes to the passing game, but I think both would put an emphasis on developing the young OL players and improving the running game.

*edit...side note, if Billick isn't the guy then it'd be kinda funny if they take Gruden like a lot of people want, and we brought in Callahan considering Callahan used to work for Gruden in Oak, then took over as HC when Gruden left for TB and then they coached against each other in the SB only to be reunited many years later. lol

Edited by Jason

Another thing to consider is that Billick has been in a position several times before with QB's in the last years of their career. In Minnesota there was Jim McMahon, Warren Moon and then Randall Cunningham and then Trent Dilfer in Baltimore. These were pretty much all guys who, at the time they came to play for Billick, were considered to be past their prime and weren't given much of a chance by the media to be successful. Of course with Dilfer it wasn't so much being past his prime as it was that he never really had a "prime". However Bilick found ways to be successful with each of these guys. Moon wasn't given much of a chance at all, most felt he would either fail miserably in a more traditional style of offense or at the very least he wouldn't be able to put up anywhere near the type of numbers he did in the run and shoot in Houston. However Moon wound up breaking some of the records in Minnesota that he had previously set in Houston. I'm not sure what the overall media speculation was when Cunningham went to Minnesota but I don't think anyone believed he would wind up the QB in what was, to that point, the highest scoring offense in NFL history. McMahon wasn't flashy by any means, but they did go to the playoffs that year and, though they had a pretty good defense, it was no where near the defense of the '85 Bears and many at the time felt that McMahon couldn't be a "playoff caliber" QB without that '85 Bears defense behind him.

The point is Billick has a history of working with a couple of great QB's in Moon and Cunningham, and also a prima-donna QB (McMahon of course lol) but he was able to earn the respect of each one of these guys and he built a successful offense around each one of them. Not many coaches have that type of experience on their resume and I think that becomes a big factor when you consider how important it is that Manning and the new coach develop a relationship built from a core of mutual respect.

Another thing to consider is that Billick has been in a position several times before with QB's in the last years of their career. In Minnesota there was Jim McMahon, Warren Moon and then Randall Cunningham and then Trent Dilfer in Baltimore. These were pretty much all guys who, at the time they came to play for Billick, were considered to be past their prime and weren't given much of a chance by the media to be successful. Of course with Dilfer it wasn't so much being past his prime as it was that he never really had a "prime". However Bilick found ways to be successful with each of these guys. Moon wasn't given much of a chance at all, most felt he would either fail miserably in a more traditional style of offense or at the very least he wouldn't be able to put up anywhere near the type of numbers he did in the run and shoot in Houston. However Moon wound up breaking some of the records in Minnesota that he had previously set in Houston. I'm not sure what the overall media speculation was when Cunningham went to Minnesota but I don't think anyone believed he would wind up the QB in what was, to that point, the highest scoring offense in NFL history. McMahon wasn't flashy by any means, but they did go to the playoffs that year and, though they had a pretty good defense, it was no where near the defense of the '85 Bears and many at the time felt that McMahon couldn't be a "playoff caliber" QB without that '85 Bears defense behind him.

The point is Billick has a history of working with a couple of great QB's in Moon and Cunningham, and also a prima-donna QB (McMahon of course lol) but he was able to earn the respect of each one of these guys and he built a successful offense around each one of them. Not many coaches have that type of experience on their resume and I think that becomes a big factor when you consider how important it is that Manning and the new coach develop a relationship built from a core of mutual respect.

I would be more than happy with I guy like Billick. Espelcially if he brought in a great D coordinator.

And personally I think Caldwell lost this team in the Jets playoff game when he called that ridiculous TO at the end. Manning's reaction said it all.

Close. Right team, wrong situation. He lost this team at 14-1.

Record since that debacle.....12-17.

And personally I think Caldwell lost this team in the Jets playoff game when he called that ridiculous TO at the end. Manning's reaction said it all.

Close. Right team, wrong situation. He lost this team at 14-1.

Record since that debacle.....12-17.

he already called a stupid TO Vs Jaguars, the 1 Vs Jets shows he doesnt learn from Mistakes and yes that pulling of the Starters was so stupid in perfect season since if that was really to protect the players then why not pull Freeny with 2 minutes left in AFC CHAMP game that year when we had it won already and Freeney then rolled his ankle and lost effectiveness for the Superbowl, Brilliant Move

Edited by bayone