Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Deserves His Share of Blame

James Harden

I don't see why people are critical of the article.  Everything it said was true.  Luck's accuracy hasn't been there this year.  Not just on the deep routes, but he has missed open guys on check downs and flares.  Even on the Reggie Wayne injury, a poorly thrown ball by Luck led to a devastating injury.  That's not to say it's Luck's fault, but his accuracy hasn't been there this year.

People are critical because they don't like reality. Luck is a great 2nd year QB with work to do and a front line that is about as solid as wet paper towels. Two worries I have for Luck from my naked eye test. One, his throws over the top of recievers or dropping it into a basket over the defenders. He has not been as good as I would have hoped to see from him yet. Two, his staring down of his recievers too much. I think the latter problem will, improve when his oline improves and he trusts he will have time and not be hit each throw and with time. The former, I'm concerned with that the most. We have seen team after Team come in with back up qb's and toss pinpoint bread basket tosses to receivers nobody has ever heard of whether we have tight coverage or let Vaughn cover and watch the guys eyes get big as the ball is coming yet refuses to turn around and play the ball.

I hope Luck gets reset after this season mentaly as I think all the hits he has taken and being under such duress has messed with his psych a bit and his mojo. The oline has to improve vastly and Pep has to make better game plans and DHB has to go and then maybe we can see an improved Luck. I would still pick luck with the 1st pick in the draft again even after knowing there are some flaws in his game, he should improve greatly next season if he is who we think he is.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year we said he needed to improve the % completions and the turnovers.. he's done it. I'm happy with where he is for now, he should be taking the Elite step soon enough, he has a lot of time.

I think our problem this year is early drives,the Defense is always giving up a TD in the first 2 posessions while we don't score. It's just a matter of getting good in the early game. One thing is sure, if we give Luck a somewhat close game, he can win it

You must not watch the Seahawks... they have had multiple injuries and their O-Line has been awful this year.

They made mention of this very issue in the article, how did they overlook it? Jeez, its like no writer can stae anything unless its 100% positive about the colts. Luck has issues to work through, it's fact. The oline is trash, thats fact. The oc is young and suspect, fact. The defense is suspect too, fact. It's ok to point out things actually present, whats bad is when articles are made out of blatant mistruths such as Luck missing his reads becausehe is afraid of clowns and the defenders are showing him flash cards of cards while he is in thehuddle and It's messing he head up.

What happened to him?

The sacks on David Carr were so many, it basically broke him down and gave him a lack of confidence, made him nervous, more vulnerable to the blitz, and an overall inability to play QB at a high level. He is now the poster boy for why it is important to have at least a decent o-line for a young QB.

I totally blame him for the division crown and a spot in the playofffs.

You are right. You guys would be 2-14 again without Luck. The biggest part of Irsay's monster building program was having the luck to have a stinking season right when Manning and Luck were the first picks of the draft. I'm not sure what Jim Irsay has ever done to deserve that good fortune, but stinking at the right time helps. If you want to throw in the old Baltimore Colts stinking at the right time, they had John Elway at the # 1 spot. What are the odds of one franchise having a horrible season right before three top quarterbacks were available at the top spot in the draft? They must be astronomical.

They made mention of this very issue in the article, how did they overlook it? Jeez, its like no writer can stae anything unless its 100% positive about the colts. Luck has issues to work through, it's fact. The oline is trash, thats fact. The oc is young and suspect, fact. The defense is suspect too, fact. It's ok to point out things actually present, whats bad is when articles are made out of blatant mistruths such as Luck missing his reads becausehe is afraid of clowns and the defenders are showing him flash cards of cards while he is in thehuddle and It's messing he head up.

lol, I agree with you, but I was referring to the Seahawks.

Yeah, I don't think people realize the author of this piece is a 19 yr old IU student who used to write for Stampede Blue.

Does that make him incapable or writing a good article? I thought the article was well thought out and well presented. He thinks Luck is going to be a great QB but he is making lots of mistakes right now. It is hard to disagree with that if you really look at it with an open mind. He is only a second year QB but he is in a very bad situation with poor receivers and a very bad offensive line. What QB wouldn't struggle and make some mistakes considering that?  :D

Does that make him incapable or writing a good article? I thought the article was well thought out and well presented. He thinks Luck is going to be a great QB but he is making lots of mistakes right now. It is hard to disagree with that if you really look at it with an open mind. He is only a second year QB but he is in a very bad situation with poor receivers and a very bad offensive line. What QB wouldn't struggle and make some mistakes considering that? :D

Weirdest second account ever.

Does that make him incapable or writing a good article? I thought the article was well thought out and well presented. He thinks Luck is going to be a great QB but he is making lots of mistakes right now. It is hard to disagree with that if you really look at it with an open mind. He is only a second year QB but he is in a very bad situation with poor receivers and a very bad offensive line. What QB wouldn't struggle and make some mistakes considering that?  :D

Well, if the your second sentence is any indication, the article was horrible.

I think some people lose perspective about what Andrew has proved in his short career so far and that is, set the statistics aside, when the game is on the line, Andrew is able to do whatever is necessary to win. Andrew Lucks NFL performance = WINNER. Is he a winner 100% of the time when the game is on the line, no because nobody is, but his record so far dwarfs any other QB's first 2 years. Jerry West used to be called Mr. Clutch and that's what Andrew is.

Luck is in his second year. Yes, he makes mistakes. Yes, he throws bad picks and sails some balls to open receivers but he's still learning. He wants to make plays and I can't be mad at him for anything he does wrong. He's a smart kid. It's going to "click" real soon for him.

He's no Matt Shaub, thats for sure.

So, a second year quarterback needs to improve with ball placement and decision making? You don't say???

I think Luck is going to be a spectacular QB, but these growing pains are normal for a young QB. Especially considering the issues with the offensive line and way the skill positions have been decimated by injury.

Just wait, everybody. If we're still complaining about Luck's ball placement and decision making a year or two from now, then maybe we can start wondering whether he's going to be good enough. For right now, he's already shown me plenty enough to believe in his potential to be a top notch QB.

Luck has made his share of mistakes no doubt.  That is to be expected with such little experience, a horrible Oline, so-so receivers and defense.  So yes, he gets a pass on quite a bit of his flaws.  What bothers me more is that this may lead to long term damage, and I don't mean physically.  I know the guy seems pretty tough mentally, but I just hope it doesn't make him forever jumpy in the pocket.

Luck has made his share of mistakes no doubt.  That is to be expected with such little experience, a horrible Oline, so-so receivers and defense.  So yes, he gets a pass on quite a bit of his flaws.  What bothers me more is that this may lead to long term damage, and I don't mean physically.  I know the guy seems pretty tough mentally, but I just hope it doesn't make him forever jumpy in the pocket.

Luck has been anything but jumpy in the pocket. To a fault, at times (like the Titans game). I almost wish he were more jumpy. He needs to get rid of the ball faster, and he needs to be quicker to bail out.

What he's been is gun shy, and that's not necessarily a better problem to have, but it is more readily fixable. 

Really Luck is in his second year. This team is young. If you expect superbowl this year then your setting yourself up for disappointment. Give this team a few more years and then start the hype. Heck lets be happy now that we won the south and hopefully will win a playoff game. We hit one goal this year lets build on that.

What about the throws where he has a clean pocket?  He's had a number of throws with a clean pocket on easy routes and he has missed his guys.  Don't take it to mean I don't like Luck; I'm a huge Luck fan and I hope he has a great career with as many Super Bowl wins as possible.  I think Luck can be the league's top QB in a few years.  All I'm saying is that his accuracy hasn't been that good this year.  He's had a few really good plays and his play overall has been good considering what OL and running game and the factors you mentioned.  But as the article states, Luck deserves some of the blame.

Luck deserves some of the blame, but it is way way way way way down the list on who or what is to blame for the Colts struggles of late.

Luck deserves some of the blame, but it is way way way way way down the list on who or what is to blame for the Colts struggles of late.

That's correct.  Luck is near the bottom of the list, but he's still on there.  The more major culprits are poor playcalling/coaching, horrible OL play, and inexperienced receivers.  Luck has certainly helped more than he has hurt, but he has shown some areas where he can improve.  I don't think Luck is a concern for the organization.  He has a strong work ethic, is already incredibly talented, and is a reliable leader.

That's correct. Luck is near the bottom of the list, but he's still on there. The more major culprits are poor playcalling/coaching, horrible OL play, and inexperienced receivers. Luck has certainly helped more than he has hurt, but he has shown some areas where he can improve. I don't think Luck is a concern for the organization. He has a strong work ethic, is already incredibly talented, and is a reliable leader.

That's where I think the impression that others think Luck is "perfect" comes from. Because people aren't creating thread after thread killing him for his mistakes.

But that's because almost no one is worried about him. He's not going to be a problem for us going forward. He's a smart, extremely talented , and extremely hard working kid. He's going to be fine. He's going to get better and better as time goes on. Barring a HUGE regression.

The D? That's a concern that won't get better over time. The Oline? That's a concern that won't get better over time.

So, a second year quarterback needs to improve with ball placement and decision making? You don't say???

I think Luck is going to be a spectacular QB, but these growing pains are normal for a young QB. Especially considering the issues with the offensive line and way the skill positions have been decimated by injury.

Just wait, everybody. If we're still complaining about Luck's ball placement and decision making a year or two from now, then maybe we can start wondering whether he's going to be good enough. For right now, he's already shown me plenty enough to believe in his potential to be a top notch QB.

For god sakes , the drama queens we have in this forum overwhelm me at times. Its a critism on luck not a death sentence. Nobody in here is allowed to form an opinion or a view that doesn't have a red rosey bow tied to it. Jeeeeeesh

Luck struggles, yes he does, its ok though, it will get better each year. Pointing out the kid is missing his throws is just pointing out the obvious. Pointing out he stares down recievers or holds the ball too long at times or throws to guys he shouldn't is pointing out the obvious. Why does everyone feel the need to tell everyone to calm down who points this out? Imean to date I have yet to see anyone post these things and follow it with he needs cut or he is a bust. Let people post their views without trying to make it into more than it is, an observation!

For god sakes , the drama queens we have in this forum overwhelm me at times. Its a critism on luck not a death sentence. Nobody in here is allowed to form an opinion or a view that doesn't have a red rosey bow tied to it. Jeeeeeesh

Luck struggles, yes he does, its ok though, it will get better each year. Pointing out the kid is missing his throws is just pointing out the obvious. Pointing out he stares down recievers or holds the ball too long at times or throws to guys he shouldn't is pointing out the obvious. Why does everyone feel the need to tell everyone to calm down who points this out? Imean to date I have yet to see anyone post these things and follow it with he needs cut or he is a bust. Let people post their views without trying to make it into more than it is, an observation!

What are you on about? 

It's Luck 2nd year in the NFL. I expect some growing pains & a few hiccups. Have a few throws been inaccurate? Sure. Have there been a lot of dropped WR passes since Wayne went down? Absolutely. Have our running backs aside from Donald Brown been injured or unproductive a large segment of the season? Yup. 

I never give any credibility to the Bleacher Report period. That's like saying The Onion, riddled with sarcasm & fabricated news stories, is a more reputable newspaper/website than the New York Times. Translation: The only useful purpose of the Bleacher Report is to print it off in individual sheets in order to line the bottom of a bird cage. JMO. 

The only drama Queens I see are those who, for some unknown reason, feel persecuted for pointing out Andrew's mistakes.

I critique Luck all the time. I've not once gotten grief.

That's where I think the impression that others think Luck is "perfect" comes from. Because people aren't creating thread after thread killing him for his mistakes.

But that's because almost no one is worried about him. He's not going to be a problem for us going forward. He's a smart, extremely talented , and extremely hard working kid. He's going to be fine. He's going to get better and better as time goes on. Barring a HUGE regression.

The D? That's a concern that won't get better over time. The Oline? That's a concern that won't get better over time.

I agree.  He'll be fine.  To be honest, I think the current coaching is holding him back.  The insistence upon utilizing a power running game when we don't have the players for it is regressive thinking.  The insistence on playing guys like Satele when they are not performing is also regressive thinking.  I don't know if it's Pagano's call or if Pagano listens to who the OL coach says should start or how it works, but the methods of the coaching staff aren't helping Luck.  Give Luck a few reliable weapons and a good OL and watch what he does

I agree.  He'll be fine.   Give Luck a few reliable weapons and a good OL and watch what he does

Exactly 21isSuperman, put Luck in the Pacific NW with that line, those WRs, & Richard Sherman in the secondary & Andrew would be lighting it up. I'm not worried in the slightest for INDY either as long as Grigs gets him some dependable speed with great hands down the stretch. Why hasn't Deion Branch been signed yet? 

YES he does!  He seems to take awhile to warm up - unfortunately awhile has been an entire half the last 6-8 games.    Its easy to see how the half will go with the first 2-3 throws... if they are 3-6 feet left or right of the receiver its clear he is going to be off target....  If he can't clean that up he will always be a 56% guy!

He does have natural born skills though and heart and desire so I think he can work his way through this and in time be a 65% guy.

Exactly 21isSuperman, put Luck in the Pacific NW with that line, those WRs, & Richard Sherman in the secondary & Andrew would be lighting it up. I'm not worried in the slightest for INDY either as long as Grigs gets him some dependable speed with great hands down the stretch. Why hasn't Deion Branch been signed yet? 

As others have already mentioned, Russell Wilson has played behind an OL that was battered with injuries for much of the season and barely slowed down the pass rush.  He's also been playing without his top 2 WRs (Harvin and Rice) and his current WR corps includes 3 undrafted free agents.  Despite all this he's been having a stellar year.  Just sayin'.