Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Deserves His Share of Blame

James Harden

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice how Lucks mistakes come in quarters 1, 2 and 3? In the 4th quarter and time for one drive, he almost makes no mistakes. His true talent shines and it looks effortless. Maybe he is using that big brain to think too much and is merely reacting during the 2 minute drill.

Pep's scheme focuses on efficiency and less shots down the field.

Bruce's scheme was aggressive and was more of a home-run offense.

So, yes, I think a good amount of it attributes to Pep's scheme. Still, I wish he were a bit more aggressive, because I don't think you can go far by being too conservative in the passing attack. I'm not saying Pep's is conservative, it just limits how aggressive Luck can be. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you don't want to be too conservative.

Bruce's offense also allowed luck to scramble out of the pocket and make big plays on the run, the pep offense has luck getting sacked in the middle of the field instead.

This is a very detail article on Luck mistakes. Sure we have problems on Offensive line, receivers, defense, and playcalling but Luck have struggle at times during this season.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1885078-andrew-luck-deserves-his-share-of-blame-for-colts-offensive-struggles

We're not getting beaten by small margins....I dont think its the QB.....42-28 last week.. 4 Tds..no picks

..but we really play conservatively until we fall far behind..and to do that, you beed dominant lines...we don't have that

..we win close ones....  Luck has eight interceptions (19 TDs) in 13 games..and that's what he was supposed to cut down.

Its hard to legitimately find much blame with Andrew.

He's missed some open/easy throws.  I've seen him over or under throw guys on screens and RB flare routes without much pressure.  Those aren't difficult throws.  I'm not saying Luck is a bust, nor is the article.  The article clearly stated that Luck still has all the tools to be a great QB, but he isn't elite yet.

He has a terrible O line , no running game , bad OC , receivers that don't get open and you and others say he's missed some throws . What Qb doesn't make bad throws or some bad decisions ? The article is written by an *. How absolutely lame to pick out two plays and say "see.. I'm right." 

I don't see why people are critical of the article. Everything it said was true. Luck's accuracy hasn't been there this year. Not just on the deep routes, but he has missed open guys on check downs and flares. Even on the Reggie Wayne injury, a poorly thrown ball by Luck led to a devastating injury. That's not to say it's Luck's fault, but his accuracy hasn't been there this year.

it was very spotty last year

I agree with the face palm, as long as it is in reference to that bastion of journalism, The Bleacher Report.

Yeah, I don't think people realize the author of this piece is a 19 yr old IU student who used to write for Stampede Blue.

He has a terrible O line , no running game , bad OC , receivers that don't get open and you and others say he's missed some throws . What Qb doesn't make bad throws or some bad decisions ? The article is written by an *. How absolutely lame to pick out two plays and say "see.. I'm right." 

What about the throws where he has a clean pocket?  He's had a number of throws with a clean pocket on easy routes and he has missed his guys.  Don't take it to mean I don't like Luck; I'm a huge Luck fan and I hope he has a great career with as many Super Bowl wins as possible.  I think Luck can be the league's top QB in a few years.  All I'm saying is that his accuracy hasn't been that good this year.  He's had a few really good plays and his play overall has been good considering what OL and running game and the factors you mentioned.  But as the article states, Luck deserves some of the blame.

If you have a decent offensive coordinator, you won't be critical of Luck.  Play calling sucks, scheme of the offense is below average, no creativity, this all translate into coaching.  OC needs to be more creative in his play calling.or fire the OC (Pep), he simply sucks.

Wow! Brave person to dare criticize Luck. It was same thing with Manning. Manning is one of the best of all time, but he made mistakes. Luck will too. But you say that and you get hammered. Luck holds the ball too long. Period. If nothing is open, throw it away.

lmao

Luck wishes he had Peyton's "Can never do anything wrong" level of worship.

Andrew still has plenty of "Colts" fans circling. Waiting to pounce on the first chance to say "Told you!!!!"

What about the throws where he has a clean pocket?  He's had a number of throws with a clean pocket on easy routes and he has missed his guys.  Don't take it to mean I don't like Luck; I'm a huge Luck fan and I hope he has a great career with as many Super Bowl wins as possible.  I think Luck can be the league's top QB in a few years.  All I'm saying is that his accuracy hasn't been that good this year.  He's had a few really good plays and his play overall has been good considering what OL and running game and the factors you mentioned.  But as the article states, Luck deserves some of the blame.

I think you are wasting your time lol...  If you say Luck has had accuracy issues most read "LUCK IS HORRIBLE CUT HIM HE IS TRASH"...  Anyone with eyes has seen he has regressed in one of his strengths.  

To me it is worrisome because he reunited with his OC who had a huge part in shaping him and he seems to be still in Arians mode.  A crap oline and not so good habits formed from last year is what I think has him in a rut when it comes to accuracy.  The reason I worry is because if those habits stay and he holds on longer and mistrust his receivers he will be hit more which then in turn may effect him mentally and make him even worse.  This is the road I don't want him to take.  Also I don't like the mix of Arian's offense they have done with Pep's.  If you are going to run these time consuming routes you can't let Luck sit in the pocket, we just don't have the personnel to do it.  I honestly wish they would scrap it all and go back to the more similar WC style that Luck played with in college.  It will work in today's NFL, but I guess that's why I'm on the couch :-)

Yeah .. I'm with you on this one. 

It was more linking bleacher report. They are awful.

Yeah, I don't think people realize the author of this piece is a 19 yr old IU student who used to write for Stampede Blue.

Okay so bleacher report have bad journalism...that doesn't mean all of it is bad. Like Wowzers! So what the author is a 19 year old. He article is still pretty darn good. He could have chosen some better example to show Luck's mistake but jeeeez. Yall have to admit some of the information is true. When Luck have been given a decent time to throw the ball, he just overthrow or underthrow the receiver. Have you guys not heard of Reggie injury??? That one bad throw injured Reggie since he had to make adjustments to try to even catch that ball and it lead to his torn ACL. BTW I like to go through the Bleach Report website. Some of their information is fun reading about it. Just saying.

Okay so bleacher report have bad journalism...that doesn't mean all of it is bad. Like Wowzers! So what the author is a 19 year old. He article is still pretty darn good. He could have chosen some better example to show Luck's mistake but jeeeez. Yall have to admit some of the information is true. When Luck have been given a decent time to throw the ball, he just overthrow or underthrow the receiver. Have you guys not heard of Reggie injury??? That one bad throw injured Reggie since he had to make adjustments to try to even catch that ball and it lead to his torn ACL. BTW I like to go through the Bleach Report website. Some of their information is fun reading about it. Just saying.

I'm sure Luck does deserve some criticism, but i would rather get it from a legit source than some kid who probably didn't even play in high school and now writes about the subject on a crap site. But that's just me....

I hear you and I guess the question is should his accuracy be better considering all the lack of help he has ?

I would say that it's mostly a result of being knocked around like a pin ball , while you have WR's getting no separation and dropping balls left and right. All this with a ridiculous defense that has him down 14 nothing in a flash. He just is not getting nearly enough help from teammates or the coaching staff. Leads to an out of sync QB that probably hurries a bit or loses his mechanics now and then. I'm not saying he is a top 3 QB as we speak but he needs way more help than he's getting and IMO the last guy I would blame.

Suna... there are some pretty bad post on this board. The above is no doubt an award winner. 

I'm sure Luck does deserve some criticism, but i would rather get it from a legit source than some kid who probably didn't even play in high school and now writes about the subject on a crap site. But that's just me....

What QB doesn't deserve some criticism ? 

I hear you and I guess the question is should his accuracy be better considering all the lack of help he has ?

I would say that it's mostly a result of being knocked around like a pin ball , while you have WR's getting no separation and dropping balls left and right. All this with a ridiculous defense that has him down 14 nothing in a flash. He just is not getting nearly enough help from teammates or the coaching staff. Leads to an out of sync QB that probably hurries a bit or loses his mechanics now and then. I'm not saying he is a top 3 QB as we speak but he needs way more help than he's getting and IMO the last guy I would blame.

I don't think anyone is blaming him... It just a simple observation about a huge center piece of this franchise for years to come.  

Also, his receivers have been getting better separation then you give them credit for, Luck has just not been trusting them to make the play.  He has a bad oline yes but he has also gotten a fair share of snaps with a clean pocket as well.  I think what most of us are pointing to is that if he was more accurate the team would be a whole lot better off than what it is now currently especially when he does have a clean pocket.  Our RB's and the online itself may be having an easier time if he can get the throws out quicker and more accurately.  Also a lot of our slow starts have been with him contributing to them significantly as well with non-accurate passes.  Of course there will be drops and other things that contribute too and that is understandable.  Just don't want Luck to be the next David Carr.

I don't see why people are critical of the article.  Everything it said was true.  Luck's accuracy hasn't been there this year.  Not just on the deep routes, but he has missed open guys on check downs and flares.  Even on the Reggie Wayne injury, a poorly thrown ball by Luck led to a devastating injury.  That's not to say it's Luck's fault, but his accuracy hasn't been there this year.

watch it again and check his protection.

No one completes 100% of their pass attempts.  Luck feels the need to put the game on his shoulders cause he knows that our team is just plain bad.  Bad defense: can never stop the run, give up big plays, can't get off on 3rd down, and our only pass rush is mathis.  Offense: Bad OLine, no running game, luck is always pressured or sacked, and 2nd year n rookie receivers.  Even with a players on his back he continues to try and make plays cause deep down he knows that we suck.  I don't see any creative plays on offense and the same plays on defense.  On top of all of that, are getting injured left and right and continue to bring in players with 3 games left in the regular season.  If this isn't crazy then i don't know what is.  FYI Andrew Luck knows he has to play better, don't you listen to his locker talk.  He tells himself that all the time.  The whole team needs to play better not just him.

i dont care much for andrews mistakes. the reason is because in 2 seasons hes shown me so much to like, and the fact that hes still adjusting is great. they completely overlook the fact that hes pressured 203 out of 529?wow lol rough thats pretty much almost every other 1-2 snaps

I've been fond of the legion of boom. I've been watching Earl Thomas since his Texas days. Seeing him become one of the best if not the best safety in the NFL is a thing of beauty.

Seahawks also have an offensive line that brings me to tears :(

You must not watch the Seahawks... they have had multiple injuries and their O-Line has been awful this year.

And even then, they're consistently far better than the line we're putting on the field.

Up until a few weeks ago, they actually weren't. The combination of a good scheme, Russel Wilson and Marshawn Lynch helped mask just how horrid that line was.

They have guys back now though.

I know you'll be shocked hearing this from me, but I think Luck is a great young quarterback. He has done very well in the first two seasons, and even though he's struggled at times this year, it's largely attributed to a bad o line, banged up running game, and losing a top receiver. That being said, he led the team to a wild card appearance, and has won a division title thus far.

Sure he deserves some blame for things, but he's a second year player who is progressing. You have to like quarterbacks who lead their teams back in 4th quarter drives. This guy is the last guy to blame on the Colts. You guys have been very lucky with Manning and Luck. I'm satisfied with Flacco and his 120 million contract because I couldn't take the. Kyle Bollers of the world anymore. This kid is good. Hopefully Irsay can surround him with better talent than he did with Manning.