Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bring Back Dungy?

GoGoColts

Maybe......I dont know......we really need to change philosophy regarding drafting undersized guys, and put emphasis on running the ball to set up the pass with solid offensive line play, so I guess I have to say no to Tony's return.

i am more concerned because we haven't invested the high draft picks on defense or brought in the free agents to really make the thing go.

In early 2007 the Colts might have had the best defense in football because we had a solid DT rotation, but the DTs were not stable so it tanked quickly.

Edited by GoGoColts

i am more concerned because we haven't invested the high draft picks on defense or brought in the free agents to really make the thing go.

Thats true, we havent. Its a vicious circle of addressing major needs with untalented, UDFA's because our mega QB can make up for a small, fast, porous defense. Now they see the error in that philosophy. But my lord we need 20 draft picks in the first four rounds and 3 years to fix it......ugh.

Thats true, we havent. Its a vicious circle of addressing major needs with untalented, UDFA's because our mega QB can make up for a small, fast, porous defense. Now they see the error in that philosophy. But my lord we need 20 draft picks in the first four rounds and 3 years to fix it......ugh.

If we could bring in 2 nose tackles, a corner, and a safety.

He's had a break. We have to get a coach that knows how to coach these personnel and not a lot of transition. Most importantly, Dungy can make half-time adjustments.

Umm...wasn't Dungy famous for his "execution" talk instead of making adjustments. Don't mind me though, I voted Bull-Moose.

Dear lord no. Then we'll never be rid of this curse called the Tampa 2 defense.

It's like Helen of Troy in schematic form.

Lots of teams play cover 2. The issue is that there is no talent on defense. One all pro, one pro-bowler and a bunch of drafted free-agents.

Edited by GoGoColts

Sad to say but I think Tampa 2 and/or Cover 2 is the scheme we are stuck with for the duration of Manning era. Peyton's clock is ticking, don't think we have the time necessary to revamp the defensive scheme and draft the personnel needed to perform the transition properly. For those advocating a defensive scheme change what do you suggest? I don't think switching to 3-4 is feasible within the Peyton window. Maybe a more traditional 4-3 with improved secondary talent and more man press in your face corner play. Perhaps utilization of more blitz looks? I dunno...

Edited by Coltsman1788

Sad to say but I think Tampa 2 and/or Cover 2 is the scheme we are stuck with for the duration of Manning era. Peyton's clock is ticking, don't think we have the time necessary to revamp the defensive scheme and draft the personnel needed to perform the transition properly. For those advocating a defensive scheme change what do you suggest? I don't think switching to 3-4 is feasible within the Peyton window. Maybe a more traditional 4-3 with improved secondary talent and more man press in your face corner play. Perhaps utilization of more blitz looks? I dunno...

I don't think so.

Look, before this season everyone went on a tear talking about how the Texans change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 was going to hold them back, and the "growing pains", coupled with the lockout-shortened offseason was going to have them winning about 6 games tops.

The Texans don't at all seem to have been phased by changing their defense even during the lockout shortened offseason.

We really don't need revolutionary changes in our scheme.. We just need to get away from the tampa/cover 2 which is easily beaten by any decent QB.

Unless he choses to step down, Caldwell will be given another year. Now I do believe there will be some major shakeups in players and other coaches and the scheme's the Colts run. Depending on where we finish and the pick we get we could begin to see the changing over offensive wise towards are future QB's abilities, I see us not bringing back the likes of Reggie Wayne or Mathis and a concerted effort to begin to reshape the defensive. But unless Caldwell makes the choice, I don't see Polian or Irsay based off of 1 very bad season firing him.