Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New York Times Weighs In On Grigson

ColtsHappy

I take everything from fee based websites with a grain of salt. their so called experts can see no more than the fans on this forum who follow the team. we know who is playing good and who is not. the article does not mention the players grigs picked up for nothing, freeman, mcnary,da rick, etc, every trade or pick is not going to work out for anyone, grigs deals has got us in the playoffs every year he has been here.i think all of us who follow the colts know more about our team than fee based experts

"fee based websites"? It's one of the most respected news organizations in the history of the universe, not a Vegas shill selling opinions.

It's unlikely for a reporter who doesn't live and die with the Colts to be up to speed on every nuance, but the Times is always fair, accurate, unbiased, and rational - standards which this article certainly meets. There may be some minor omissions, but what's there is accurate, and it's more than enough to support the conclusion. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine, because players come back from the same injury all the time. 

Thank you. I hope you are right. I don't think Bo Jackson came back from his hip injury very well. But I am sure the treatment is better now and this injury may not have been as severe.  :D

You first say one more year....

And then you say this all takes time and patience...

I think those two sentences contradict each other.

Given that he was the NFL executive of the year last year,  a bad year this year, and whatever he does next year does not exactly constitute much time or patience.....

Hey,  just sayin......

I meant it as give him a another year before everyone jumps down his throat.

I personally am a fan of him.

I love him as our GM.

I agree with much of what you said except about an aging Reggie Wayne. If it was Reggie in his prime, I would agree with you. If you were not deep enough to prepare for an elder citizen like Wayne getting hurt then same on you. You have to know that the odds of this happening were much higher at his age. That is why he was signed to a short term contract. Yes, those runners did do well at the start of the season. Other teams made adjustments and that running game was no longer possible. I don't think the Colts would be doing one bit better on the ground right now if those players were available. As for Matt, if you compare him to Painter and Collins then I question who is really being stupid here. Preseason means nothing. Matt could be starting for several NFL teams.  :D

I will go backwards...

Preseason games mean nothing but performances in preseason mean a lot.  That's why they have them you know so they an judge a players performance in a game.  And his throws were off target, had very little zip and he locked on his receivers too long.  If, as you say, he could be starting for several teams then why is he a back-up?  Answer because teams were not interested in him as a starter.  Why?  Because he is no longer a good QB.

I didn't call you stupid, I said your comment was stupid.  There is a big difference

So rather than look at facts (like Bradshaw and Ballard running well) you are going to base your opinion on an assumption that has no way to be proven or disproven.  To each his own.  I personally prefer to be ground in reality.

Are you really trying to say that Wayne was not as valuable to the Colts this season because he is 35?  And the Colts should be ashamed (or asamed if that is what you prefer) because tey did not have a guy on their roster who could step in immediately and replace a possible future Hall of Famer?  Again, what a stupid thing to say.

What is terribly painful to accept is that this article is about 90% agreeable. One thing I disagree with is this "It’s the job of the general manager not to get caught up in come-from-behind victories and shiny won-lost records when assessing the roster. To Grigson’s credit, Indianapolis aggressively tried to patch the team’s many holes; unfortunately for the Colts, that effort was mostly unsuccessful." 100% agree with the getting caught up in the come from behind stuff, means you played bad a large majority of the game/s. I disagree with the being mostly unsuccessful. After a purge of the great Manning, and dumping all the other names we had (rightfully so) to have any success in that first season was amazing and most of his draft picks are starters and pretty good futures in the coming seasons.

But the reality is that this year has been bad, really bad and while we have had multiple injuries on the offense, the defense has had little injuries. RFJ, Landry, Toler, Moala, Werner, Davis to and extent, could argue Walden, all have been underwhelming and none of them have been play makers. I argue a lot of these underwhelming performances are a product of our lack luster inspiring defensive coordinator but when you see how they played in that Denver game, what happened since then?

His 2013 draft seems pretty bad right now and the TRich trade seems very bad but I understand slightly for that trade. DHB has been atrocious. The entire middle of our oline is puke but Thomas was playing up to his contract, just a bad deal he got injured as perhaps his play made the center spot better because of him. Resorting to playing your rg draft pick way earlier than you wanted made a bad situation worse.

Griggs did a great job in his first year, all the moves were right. The 2nd year he has made questionable choices so he is in the sophomore slump. His character and worth will be what he does in year 3. He had a free pas the first year and got all the breaks but maybe that went to his head and he gambled on too many decisions and it bit him. Will he marry those 2 decisions next season and sprinkle in risk with more known positions. To be fair, most of the risks were calculated ones in the way contracts were set up so they pan out, they get paid but if they fall short, cut bait and no foul to the salary cap in 2014, I like that as opposed to paying everyone the top 3 salary as Polian always seemed to do.

Polian spent thre first round draft picks on running backs during his tenure with the Colts.  Would he have traded one?  Probably not, but he proved that when a player was available that he coveted he was going to get that player.

I don't think Grigs has done a bad job, he's hit some and missed some that is going to happen.  Although I am a little worried that Grigson's first draft success was more a product of Telesco than Grigson.

very interesting point about telesco.

Imo, "next man up" is just a tool that coaches use because they have to.  The star goes down and the coach still has to play the game, so they are telling the young guy that he can be a starter in this league if he goes out and proves it.  Most coaches know that Vaughn and lower tier guys like him can have a good game every once in a while, but they will never be a consistent player in the league or a mismatch.  The truth is that stars make money and they make plays and they win games in the clutch. So, "next man up", to me, is just to win a few games until the stars get back on the field.

A few comments about this rant.  Manning being out is not an excuse for 2-14 that is true.  Using Hasselback as an example of a good back-up QB makes no sense.  I hope we never have to find out, but MH looked horrible in the preseason and, IMO is no better than Collins/Painter.

It's kind of hard to say that Bradshaw and Ballard would not have ran well behind the line when both of them did, in fact, run well behind the line.

I hate to pull out this word but it's completely stupid to say "many teams lose receivers," like Wayne and are still productive.  One, there are not many receivers like Wayne in the NFL... that is why he is considered one of the best, and two, of the few receivers like Wayne when a team loses that type of player the team feels it, no matter who they are, and three, the colts are still productive.

Lastly, yes it's easy to say the team is not deep enough but the reality is you can't have a probowler at every position and you can't have back-ups that are as good as the starters.  If they were that good, well, then they'd be starters.

Hasselbeck if he has something left in the tank is certainly better then Collins and Painter......Now he certainly is not real good by any means but he did lead Seattle to the SB once and has had a couple seasons with pretty good but not spectacular numbers (2003....2005....2007)...Definitly better then Painter and as good or better then a young Kerry Collins......Hasselbeck has just never stayed healthy...only 3 seasons of playing a full 16 games

This article is written perfectly for those who need to assess blame. And there are plenty. No where does it include and reveal teh effects from the loss of:

#1 WR for the season

#1 RB for the season

#1 RB for the season

#1 TE for the season

#1 LG for the season

If you are going to make a case, bring all of the factors. Walden was brought in to contain the edge, yet the article talks about his ability to rush the passer. Please, do your homework before purveying journalism.

My guess is Grigs didn't want to be named exec of the year last year, and he certainly doesn't deserve criticism now of grading without bringing all the factors who have put us at......well........8-5, owning the division, and an early path to the playoffs.

You kind of are really giving him a "benefit of the doubt" on listing those two RB's as big loses.

First of all teams stayed away from Bradshaw as the guy was a walking injury report . Nice sign on the cheap if he could play at least most of he season. Didn't happen but no surprise here. Next you list Ballard , who was really just a guy. 6th rounder that was just an OK RB. Then let's not for get that he brought in TR in exchange for a 2014 1st rounder. The fact is simply the running game has mostly stunk because of the stinky O line . Thomas did go down but Satale and McGlynn  are his guys . Thornton leads all guards in giving up QB sacks .. yes he's a rookie but there are plenty of O line rookies that aren't getting their QB's killed. 

So I really don't think items 2 and 3 should have a whole lot of effect (?)... is that the right word ?

Yes we lost Allen but we did have the guy he took at the very ( pick 2.2 actually) top of round two. So we should have not been effected that badly by Allen's injury.

Yes , Wayne was a big loss but does Grigson get a little blame as he had only two unproven guys and a horrible DHB to pick up the slack ? 

Bottom line is every team has injuries , some worse than others.. I know. But bottom line here is that Grigson was as bad in 2013 and he was great in 2012. Maybe the Mcnary , Rogers and Abongo will end up improving his grade. 

If I could figure out how to bring up older posts , I pretty much wrote the exact same argument that the NY Times guy has. So I guess I pretty much agree with him.

"fee based websites"? It's one of the most respected news organizations in the history of the universe, not a Vegas shill selling opinions.

It's unlikely for a reporter who doesn't live and die with the Colts to be up to speed on every nuance, but the Times is always fair, accurate, unbiased, and rational - standards which this article certainly meets. There may be some minor omissions, but what's there is accurate, and it's more than enough to support the conclusion. 

I agree the new York times is a respected news source but the reporter for this article got his info from a fee based web site. pro football focus, whose paid so called experts made opinions about players on our team, which we as fans and forum members can disagree with and don't have to take as gospel. it is not news just an opinion, like an editorial opinion

Sure, losing Peyton created a few less wins even with a very good backup. If Peyton had been healthy and playing that year, I think they go at least 10-6 and make the playoffs. Reggie, although very good, is an aging receiver. Bradshaw was an injury prone free agent. Ballard may be a starter or he may not. I would guess not when he returns next year. Dwayne Allen hasn't played enough to know what he really is so his loss can't be that crucial. How good is Thomas? Is he an all pro? If he isn't, then I don't think that is a loss that should not be compensated for with players on the roster. The 2013 draft may have been closer to normal but how many good receivers did we pass up to take on a project like Werner who may never be a starter. You just can take injuries as an excuse, no team does and all teams have them. :D

If we'd taken a receiver with Werner and Xavier Rhodes still on the board I'd have thrown up a little.

By the way have you heard the saying that the teams that generally make it to the Superbowl are the ones that got hot and healthy at the right time? Why do you think they say that? As I and others have said, injuries are no excuse to just give up on a season but they will definitely play a factor in the team's success.

If we'd taken a receiver with Werner and Xavier Rhodes still on the board I'd have thrown up a little.

By the way have you heard the saying that the teams that generally make it to the Superbowl are the ones that got hot and healthy at the right time? Why do you think they say that? As I and others have said, injuries are no excuse to just give up on a season but they will definitely play a factor in the team's success.

I think drafting an old shoe might have been as good as drafting Werner. I just don't see that guy making it in the NFL and I didn't when they drafted him. Lots of good players were taken at different positions after him. If there wasn't anyone we wanted in the first round, we should have traded out of it and gotten more lower round picks. The Patriots do that very well. OK, so blame injuries. You can wipe of any season and use that old excuse.  :D

As the original poster - an Indiana boy through and through who grew up as a Baltimore Colts fan - and who has lived in New York since 1981 - I have to agree that the New York Times is for the most part - fair, accurate, unbiased and rational - but perhaps more importantly the New York TImes is a respected national publication. No huge deal, but it DOES mean for the most part that people outside of the indiana community generally pay considerable attention to it. 

Having said that, I will say this - I have been elbow to elbow sharing adult beverages with a slew of fair weather Giant fans for a number of years. It's comical actually - I have always been amazed at how much HATE they spew about their team when they are having a bad run. Let me remind you - the Giants have lost game after game after game and had a record that was pathetic - including in games where they have been absolutely destroyed - and still won super bowls in those years.

When the season ending gun goes off and the playoffs start it is a brand new season. Wipe the slate clean, baby. Depending on the progress of "getting better" the next three games -  I can see these guys figuring out these offensive passing woes with the emergence of Rogers and Brazil and I can also see the veterans such as Mathis pulling this defense together, kind of like what we did in 2006.

Really just pointing out that, while there might very well be truth in the article, it could all end up being water under the bridge with us sharing in the last chuckle.

I know, I know - spoken like a wild optimist, but isn't that what being a true fan is all about?

And guess what? If we were to go one and done, I would still be head over heels in love with these Colts!

ColtsHappy 

I think drafting an old shoe might have been as good as drafting Werner. I just don't see that guy making it in the NFL and I didn't when they drafted him. Lots of good players were taken at different positions after him. If there wasn't anyone we wanted in the first round, we should have traded out of it and gotten more lower round picks. The Patriots do that very well. OK, so blame injuries. You can wipe of any season and use that old excuse.  :D

So you're giving up on him after 13 games...

...because it's not like there's any chance he's going to progress in this league. 

You kind of are really giving him a "benefit of the doubt" on listing those two RB's as big loses.

First of all teams stayed away from Bradshaw as the guy was a walking injury report . Nice sign on the cheap if he could play at least most of he season. Didn't happen but no surprise here. Next you list Ballard , who was really just a guy. 6th rounder that was just an OK RB. Then let's not for get that he brought in TR in exchange for a 2014 1st rounder. The fact is simply the running game has mostly stunk because of the stinky O line . Thomas did go down but Satale and McGlynn  are his guys . Thornton leads all guards in giving up QB sacks .. yes he's a rookie but there are plenty of O line rookies that aren't getting their QB's killed. 

So I really don't think items 2 and 3 should have a whole lot of effect (?)... is that the right word ?

Yes we lost Allen but we did have the guy he took at the very ( pick 2.2 actually) top of round two. So we should have not been effected that badly by Allen's injury.

Yes , Wayne was a big loss but does Grigson get a little blame as he had only two unproven guys and a horrible DHB to pick up the slack ? 

Bottom line is every team has injuries , some worse than others.. I know. But bottom line here is that Grigson was as bad in 2013 and he was great in 2012. Maybe the Mcnary , Rogers and Abongo will end up improving his grade. 

If I could figure out how to bring up older posts , I pretty much wrote the exact same argument that the NY Times guy has. So I guess I pretty much agree with him.

In response to the bolded above, what does the round a guy is drafted have to do with their importance? I said #1 because both of those RB's had ample time to study and understand the playbook. They were, our #1 options. Having both #1's go down so that you have to bring in a FA who does not know your system absolutely effects your team...and in this case, your running game. The article is about Grigs choices, yet they do not address the fact that his acquisition of Trent is too early to grade. As far as the TE, we could all see that Fleener had not fully developed into the pro game, but thankful to Grigs brilliance, he nabbed the top 2 TE's in that draft, because he knew how important that was to Luck. Luck is a great QB, and we started the season quite well, but hits to the offence, namely the ones I mentioned, finally took their toll.

I respect your opinion, just as this writer has a right to their opinion. My opinion is that the article is perfectly timed and written for an audience looking for blame in a situation that calls for patience. 

Really just pointing out that, while there might very well be truth in the article, it could all end up being water under the bridge with us sharing in the last chuckle.

I know, I know - spoken like a wild optimist, but isn't that what being a true fan is all about?

And guess what? If we were to go one and done, I would still be head over heels in love with these Colts!

ColtsHappy 

That's my boy!  :highfive:

...because it's not like there's any chance he's going to progress in this league. 

I just don't see it. I am sure they will keep him around for three years to try and justify the pick but I doubt he makes much progress. He has 1/2 sack for the year does he not? So, yes, I have given up on him.  :D

AlI have to say is everyone else has to realize he is back, or is it just me?

:36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:  :36dancing:

No, it is not you and I have told everyone that I am OlBlu but a more gentle, kinder and less opinionated version. I also more positive about the Colts than before. The mods know who I am.  :D

I disagree about Ballard, I think he is much better than ok. I really liked the way he ran behind the crappy Oline last season. His biggest negative is speed, but I can live with it.

Grigson scares me instead of signing some some quality free agents he overpaid for players who would not start for many teams. When we lost ( I forgot his name ) to the Chargers who is now there GM it all started to go downhill. The last straw was to give away a 1st round pick for RICHARDSON that's when I lost confidence in GRIGSON

Bad idea, like cutting TRich now as another wants.  OTOH, I'm quite disappointed we spent a 1st rounder on a guy where the jury is still out and might be for the near future.  1st rounders should be able to step in as a starter and make some decent productivity by mid year on out.  Werner is at least a tier or two below that.  I hope he improves dramatically.

I don't see it that way. I think the guy will get it & be a good player, maybe not great but good!

I think this article is very accurate and the Colts will pay the price for years. Yes, he won an executive of the year honor for a team that pulled off a lot of last second wins next year but as the author suggested Grigson knew it wasn't for real and that is why he added all of the free agents with very little success. This years draft is a disaster and is far worse than any draft under Polian in my eyes. The trades for Richardson and Davis are not working out well for the Colts which means another poor draft is coming up. I didn't think Grigson or Pagano would survive the rebuild when they were brought in and I still don't. I look for both to be gone in three years unless something really good happens soon. Would I take Polian back? I sure would if it was just Bill and not his son. Yes, he could be an butt at times but he was one of the best at putting teams together for three franchises. We miss him even if some here would never admit that. The really good thing that Grigson did was signing a first class backup to Luck. He hasn't been needed yet but if we have to go to Hasselback, there won't be much drop off. If Polian had signed that kind of backup to Peyton, both might still be in Indianapolis.  :D

Pay the price for years? With the exception of Cherilus, the free agent contracts are front loaded so that players can be cut if they don't work out. Yes, we pay out some money, but we aren't in salary cap purgatory as a result.

Davis has not been a bad trade. He is better than anything we could have gotten in the 2nd round. He has his WTH moments, but he is also expected to play man coverage with virtually no pass rush. Man coverage is extremely difficult to hold for an extended period.....that is why the pass rush is so important. 

Give Trent a year. He was traded after the season started after spending an offseason and training camp in a different city. He was moved to a different city in 1 day and forced into the lineup that same weekend. I'm not saying he will be a success, but let's give him a chance to not be a failure....an offseason and training camp. We gave up what will equate to a pick in the 20s.

I will agree that this draft is looking very looking suspect. His first draft was great. There is a greater level of difficulty when you are picking in the 20s vs. his first year when he was picking in the beginning of each round. 

Polian had a lot of great years in Indy, but it was time to move on. 

I don't see it that way. I think the guy will get it & be a good player, maybe not great but good!

I hope you are right but I am a doubter and he will have to show lots of improvement to change my mind. But, it isn't my mind that he has to change is it?  :D

In response to the bolded above, what does the round a guy is drafted have to do with their importance? I said #1 because both of those RB's had ample time to study and understand the playbook. They were, our #1 options. Having both #1's go down so that you have to bring in a FA who does not know your system absolutely effects your team...and in this case, your running game. The article is about Grigs choices, yet they do not address the fact that his acquisition of Trent is too early to grade. As far as the TE, we could all see that Fleener had not fully developed into the pro game, but thankful to Grigs brilliance, he nabbed the top 2 TE's in that draft, because he knew how important that was to Luck. Luck is a great QB, and we started the season quite well, but hits to the offence, namely the ones I mentioned, finally took their toll.

I respect your opinion, just as this writer has a right to their opinion. My opinion is that the article is perfectly timed and written for an audience looking for blame in a situation that calls for patience. 

Just mentioned that he was a 6th round guy to show he didn't have great assets according to 32 football teams. This doesn't mean he couldn't be a good player and he was a good "pedestrian " RB.  My point with the RB's was that we would more than likely be in the same spot we are in now if there were not these injuries. D Brown has run the football great and he would not have had the chance without the injuries. So I'll stick by my guns and say that those injuries have minimal effect on the teams performance to this point.

Did Grigson really have to bring in Trent Richardson ? Kinda of cute how you say "  Having both #1's go down so that you have to bring in a FA who does not know your system absolutely effects your team...and in this case, your running game.. "  HUH... I swear that I saw TR and Bradshaw splitting carries vs SF. Must be I was dreaming.... just breaking your stones...  Anyway D Brown stepped up big and runs the football fine when the pie of poop gives him a place to go. 

Anyway .. I too think Richardson will play much , much better when he gets comfortable with the offense. I also think that the Wayne injury messed Luck up in a major way and you really can't blame Grigson much on that one. There really wasn't IMO a real good WR option for him in free agency and he addressed bigger "issues" in the draft.

Allen... yeah.. I'll give you that fact that it would have been nice to have him.

That said , you haven't convinced me that if you go move by move , assess how the draft picks have played thus far ( not to mention that the whole back end of this draft was cut) , the bad trade for Sheppard ( M Fokoi was way ...way better player) when we only have 1 pass rusher and the rest... he just didnt grade out in 2013.

I disagree about Ballard, I think he is much better than ok. I really liked the way he ran behind the crappy Oline last season. His biggest negative is speed, but I can live with it.

I thought he was an average NFL starting RB. You think more than that ? 

So curious, how long have the years been for you since Peyton was released? You know....11-5 and 8-5? Excruciating? What were your expectations? For myself, and I am quite honest about this, I find us exceeding my projections quite well.

expectations can change

I disagree, we were never a top 2 team.

There was a time not long ago we did beat the 2 best teams in the league Denver and Seattle . Without all the injuries we would be a 1 or 2 seed going into the playoffs with a bye . Hard to be a deep team in only the second year of a rebuild .

Just mentioned that he was a 6th round guy to show he didn't have great assets according to 32 football teams. This doesn't mean he couldn't be a good player and he was a good "pedestrian " RB.  My point with the RB's was that we would more than likely be in the same spot we are in now if there were not these injuries. D Brown has run the football great and he would not have had the chance without the injuries. So I'll stick by my guns and say that those injuries have minimal effect on the teams performance to this point.

Did Grigson really have to bring in Trent Richardson ? Kinda of cute how you say "  Having both #1's go down so that you have to bring in a FA who does not know your system absolutely effects your team...and in this case, your running game.. "  HUH... I swear that I saw TR and Bradshaw splitting carries vs SF. Must be I was dreaming.... just breaking your stones...  Anyway D Brown stepped up big and runs the football fine when the pie of poop gives him a place to go. 

Anyway .. I too think Richardson will play much , much better when he gets comfortable with the offense. I also think that the Wayne injury messed Luck up in a major way and you really can't blame Grigson much on that one. There really wasn't IMO a real good WR option for him in free agency and he addressed bigger "issues" in the draft.

Allen... yeah.. I'll give you that fact that it would have been nice to have him.

That said , you haven't convinced me that if you go move by move , assess how the draft picks have played thus far ( not to mention that the whole back end of this draft was cut) , the bad trade for Sheppard ( M Fokoi was way ...way better player) when we only have 1 pass rusher and the rest... he just didnt grade out in 2013.

Ya, but you just never know. You could have a huge hole in the LB depth one season, address it in the offseason, and then the next year the LB's never reach into their depth and the WR's drop like flies. In hind sight, it does look like a less expensive RB and a better WR might have the best for this season, but next year our getting Trent might turn out to be all that.

BTW, I wasn't trying to convince you, just saying the article is too soon for that opinion.

I just don't see it. I am sure they will keep him around for three years to try and justify the pick but I doubt he makes much progress. He has 1/2 sack for the year does he not? So, yes, I have given up on him. :D

This is all I needed to know. :D. BTW it hasn't even been 13 games for Werner. He missed several because of the foot injury.

This is all I needed to know. :D. BTW it hasn't even been 13 games for Werner. He missed several because of the foot injury.

He was considered a raw player, even in college. His selection was based on upside. Hard thing for fans who want results now when a player is drafted for upside, and in the first round. Time will tell, but time is far from up. :thmup:

I don't have the right to criticize our GM? Damn, didn't think that means I can't be a fan of a team...

u have assumed both those things yourself.  I never said you can't criticize the GM.  I never said you can't be a fan of the Colts.

Based on the comment you made, "LOL, We aren't owning anything but a roster riddled with scrub players".  I thought you may need to be informed that you don't HAVE to be a Colts fan.  No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you.  

I don't pay any attention to any draft but the Colts and sometimes the Broncos because of Peyton being there. If four players from this years draft start next year, I think it will be a very long year for the Colts. I hope you are right. Werner won't be one of those starters in my opinion.  :D

Since you followed the Broncos draft, please enlighten me how their 2012 draft went.  6 or 7 starters and future hall of famers Im sure.

You may want to call out Elway for their draft too.

Hasselbeck if he has something left in the tank is certainly better then Collins and Painter......Now he certainly is not real good by any means but he did lead Seattle to the SB once and has had a couple seasons with pretty good but not spectacular numbers (2003....2005....2007)...Definitly better then Painter and as good or better then a young Kerry Collins......Hasselbeck has just never stayed healthy...only 3 seasons of playing a full 16 games

I never said Hasselbeck was never good.  Just that he looked terrible in the preseason.  And per your qualifier, if he has something...  I don't think he does, during the preseason he did not look as quite as immobile as Collins, but the two could be mistaken for brothers that are only a year apart.

I do believe his decision making is probably better than Painters, but physically, arm strength, touch, ability to take a hit, he is no where near where Painter was in 2010.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think Painter was a good QB but Painter's problem was when they were real people coming at him he folded like bad origami.