Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New York Times Weighs In On Grigson

ColtsHappy

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cant really disagree with most of that......there is 1 exception however...while it is true both OLBs Walden and Mathis are asked to provide pass rush...there first duty is to play the run, that needed to be mentioned.....not that either have been consistent with that

It is fair and well written. But the Jerry Hughes thing...come on. He was useless. What players do after they are released is irelevant to the club that let them go. Like Peyton, it was the right decision at the time, and still is. 

I would agree had we released him, but we were most certainly on the bad side of that trade. He wasn't great for us, but he was adequate, the same cannot be said for Kelvin Sheppard.

I agree with the article Grigson is too aggressive as a Gm but i would rather have that then Polian who never trades and take chances. As bad as the signings of RJF, Walden, and Toler we still have enough talent to beat teams like the Rams and Chargers. 

We have a - point differentially because of the coaches primarily Pagano. He continues to try to run the ball early in games when we don't have the o-line to do so. He continued to start DHB and Reed even though both players were hurting the team more then helping. His old school mentality is really hurting this team and is the reason we start off so slow. Instead of trying to be a "power running team" we should be airing it out from the start to get an early lead. 

I know Grigson made some mistakes but he's also found some gems in Freeman, Rogers, and traded for Davis. The problem isn't Grigson it's Pagano, he has a 1980's football mentality in a 2013 passing era.

I take everything from fee based websites with a grain of salt. their so called experts can see no more than the fans on this forum who follow the team. we know who is playing good and who is not. the article does not mention the players grigs picked up for nothing, freeman, mcnary,da rick, etc, every trade or pick is not going to work out for anyone, grigs deals has got us in the playoffs every year he has been here.i think all of us who follow the colts know more about our team than fee based experts

Have some faith IU, we we're a solid team (except Oline) before injuries kick us in the head.    I understand how you feel sometimes but are trending in the right direction moving forward.   This isn't like the Jeff George era, when everyone knew it was going to be a long season.

I think people are freaking out way too much. 2 years ago we had Curtis Painter under center and we had a massive changeover on the roster and the FO staff. We still have a winning record and we are about to be in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row after said overhaul. 

Injuries have plagued the Colts. Wayne, Thomas, Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw and Toler missing time...those losses certainly don't help. 

Bottom line, I think Grigson has done a great job. I am still a fan of the T Rich trade. Blast away. I'm waiting until he has a decent line to run behind before I demand anyone's head. Look at our other RB's stats and tell me it's Richardson and not the O-line. They are actually starting to use him how he should be used, off the tackle and in the screen pass. Pagano, I'm sure he has a vision of what he wants to see but he is forcing it without the proper personnel on the offensive line.  

The goal this offseason should include buying an interior offensive line by any means, drafting or buying a pass rush because we have ZERO and drafting WR/DB talent.

There are holes everywhere on the roster and we don't have the depth to cover them all. It's going to take more than two years to get to the Super Bowl, but I don't see how anyone can really complain about the turnaround time. Talk to a Dolphin's fan about that and see if you get any sympathy.

I think people are freaking out way too much. 2 years ago we had Curtis Painter under center and we had a massive changeover on the roster and the FO staff. We still have a winning record and we are about to be in the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row after said overhaul. 

Injuries have plagued the Colts. Wayne, Thomas, Ballard, Allen, Bradshaw and Toler missing time...those losses certainly don't help. 

Bottom line, I think Grigson has done a great job. I am still a fan of the T Rich trade. Blast away. I'm waiting until he has a decent line to run behind before I demand anyone's head. Look at our other RB's stats and tell me it's Richardson and not the O-line. They are actually starting to use him how he should be used, off the tackle and in the screen pass. Pagano, I'm sure he has a vision of what he wants to see but he is forcing it without the proper personnel on the offensive line.  

The goal this offseason should include buying an interior offensive line by any means, drafting or buying a pass rush because we have ZERO and drafting WR/DB talent.

There are holes everywhere on the roster and we don't have the depth to cover them all. It's going to take more than two years to get to the Super Bowl, but I don't see how anyone can really complain about the turnaround time. Talk to a Dolphin's fan about that and see if you get any sympathy.

good post. I agree

I agree with the article Grigson is too aggressive as a Gm but i would rather have that then Polian who never trades and take chances. As bad as the signings of RJF, Walden, and Toler we still have enough talent to beat teams like the Rams and Chargers. 

We have a - point differentially because of the coaches primarily Pagano. He continues to try to run the ball early in games when we don't have the o-line to do so. He continued to start DHB and Reed even though both players were hurting the team more then helping. His old school mentality is really hurting this team and is the reason we start off so slow. Instead of trying to be a "power running team" we should be airing it out from the start to get an early lead. 

I know Grigson made some mistakes but he's also found some gems in Freeman, Rogers, and traded for Davis. The problem isn't Grigson it's Pagano, he has a 1980's football mentality in a 2013 passing era.

i dont think those were bad signings...specially RJF. Walden is getting payed regular SAM money, like superman has said plenty. Toler is not getting overpayed. IMO the issue was the combo of players we signed not 1 singular player. specially landry/toler wtih their injury history.

I take everything from fee based websites with a grain of salt. their so called experts can see no more than the fans on this forum who follow the team. we know who is playing good and who is not. the article does not mention the players grigs picked up for nothing, freeman, mcnary,da rick, etc, every trade or pick is not going to work out for anyone, grigs deals has got us in the playoffs every year he has been here.i think all of us who follow the colts know more about our team than fee based experts

Great post..knee jerk reaction article as far as Im concerned.  We are only 3/4 through this season's book. Lets see how the season/playoffs unfold before we cast judgement. I'd like to know how may wins the writer of this article predicted for the Colts before the season began. Im betting < 8

Great post..knee jerk reaction article as far as Im concerned.  We are only 3/4 through this season's book. Lets see how the season/playoffs unfold before we cast judgement. I'd like to know how may wins the writer of this article predicted for the Colts before the season began. Im betting < 8

out of likes , but I like your post

The signings of RJF, Walden and Toler were not bad at all.  They were a bit curious at the time because they were being paid contracts that they would have to prove they were worth, and Toler so far is the only questionable one so far and that's far more to do with injury concerns and not his play on the field.  

You said as bad as we are we still have enough talent to beat teams like the Rams and Chargers.  Well at one time THIS YEAR we had enough talent to beat teams like Seattle, Denver and San Fran.  All that's changed from then to now is a plethora of injuries.

Can you imagine Polian giving up a first round pick for a running back, lol................no way.  Polian was very conservative.  Not sure which style I like, Gunslinger Grigson or Prologue Polian.

Polian spent thre first round draft picks on running backs during his tenure with the Colts.  Would he have traded one?  Probably not, but he proved that when a player was available that he coveted he was going to get that player.

I don't think Grigs has done a bad job, he's hit some and missed some that is going to happen.  Although I am a little worried that Grigson's first draft success was more a product of Telesco than Grigson.

I think this article is very accurate and the Colts will pay the price for years. Yes, he won an executive of the year honor for a team that pulled off a lot of last second wins next year but as the author suggested Grigson knew it wasn't for real and that is why he added all of the free agents with very little success. This years draft is a disaster and is far worse than any draft under Polian in my eyes. The trades for Richardson and Davis are not working out well for the Colts which means another poor draft is coming up. I didn't think Grigson or Pagano would survive the rebuild when they were brought in and I still don't. I look for both to be gone in three years unless something really good happens soon. Would I take Polian back? I sure would if it was just Bill and not his son. Yes, he could be an butt at times but he was one of the best at putting teams together for three franchises. We miss him even if some here would never admit that. The really good thing that Grigson did was signing a first class backup to Luck. He hasn't been needed yet but if we have to go to Hasselback, there won't be much drop off. If Polian had signed that kind of backup to Peyton, both might still be in Indianapolis.  :D

Can you imagine Polian giving up a first round pick for a running back, lol................no way.  Polian was very conservative.  Not sure which style I like, Gunslinger Grigson or Prologue Polian.

If you get to see ten years of Grigson, I think that will be very clear. That trade for Richardson is going to haunt the Colts for years to come as is the trade for Davis.  :D

The signings of RJF, Walden and Toler were not bad at all.  They were a bit curious at the time because they were being paid contracts that they would have to prove they were worth, and Toler so far is the only questionable one so far and that's far more to do with injury concerns and not his play on the field.  

You said as bad as we are we still have enough talent to beat teams like the Rams and Chargers.  Well at one time THIS YEAR we had enough talent to beat teams like Seattle, Denver and San Fran.  All that's changed from then to now is a plethora of injuries.

It isn't just the injuries although that certainly contributes to it all. Every team has injuries. It really isn't a good excuse.  :D

Polian used 3 first rounders on runningback so yes i can imagine it.

How can u say we have enough talent to beat the Rams and the Chargers? Both blew us out and or made the colts look like crap!!

It isn't just the injuries although that certainly contributes to it all. Every team has injuries. It really isn't a good excuse.  :D

It really is when you consider the number of injuries to key offensive personnel.  I know the mantra is "next man up" but the cold reality is that the next man up often is not going to be as good as the guy he's replacing.  If he were then he'd have been the starter in the first place or at the very least a starter with another club. 

So are you saying that there was no excuse for the 2-14 season when Peyton went out?  Can the Packers not look at the injury to Aaron Rodgers as the primary reason that they've been losing lately?  

Obviously no one is going to throw up the white flag and surrender the season because the injuries just kept mounting  up...but at the same time you simply can't expect the same production from lesser players and not take that into consideration when discussing the recent issues of the Colts.