Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2011 Season's Impact On Contract Negotiations

jgstriker

25 members have voted

1. 1. How much will the performance of Wayne and Garcon this season impact their upcoming contract negotiations?

• Very little, the staff understand their value when our offense has Peyton
    • Their respective play (Wayne's drop in stats and Garcon's increase in production) will impact their negotions with the Colts
    • I am far too delerious from watching the drubbing by the Saints to even care.

What kind of impact do you see the 2011 performance of contract year players, specifically Wayne and Garcon on negotions with Colts brass this upcoming season?

I think it is ignorant to assume that staff believes Wayne is not deserving of a new contract. Even when you look at the Harrison contract and his subsequent exit from the NFL. he should have had quite a few very prductive seasons barring the freak knee injury and subsequent shooting of his Philly folks.

I have to wonder, though, if Wayne having a down year will be used as amunition to keeping his contract down. And does Garcon's increased production in turning junk plays into big gains make the organization feel he is closer to reaching his potential and therefore worth a contract?

I say yes to wayne and no to garcon. Wayne gets resigned and Garcon moves on regardless.

This year shouldn't be a factor... especially for Reggie. Pierre is going to get his contract, and hopefully it's a long term one. Now for Reggie, this year shouldn't really count for his contract negotiations as he is not playing with the franchise QB, he's playing with the backup. He's playing with PM over the next 3 or 4 years, so give him a contract that will make him end his career as a Colt. Let him take a bit of a paycut, and it is expected that the Colts lose some big money guys like Diem, Gonzo, and maybe even Gary (hope not).

Let him take a bit of a paycut, and it is expected that the Colts lose some big money guys like Diem, Gonzo, and maybe even Gary (hope not).

That logic is a bit flawed. Gonzo is on his rookie contract and really isnt a big cap hit. Diem restructured to a small one year deal. Gary is the only one of the three you mentioned that is being paid legitimate money, and I honestly think we have the guys here to replace him. I figured his deal was structured in a way to allow us to cut him mid contract if Angerer and company looked as if they could replace him, which I think we are seeing this year. This is going to be an interesting year in seeing them work us under the salary cap with an early, and thus more expensive first pick

The players and the fans needed a reality check, Dallas Clark and Reggie for sure. Other guys on the offense probably had the sense that they are somehow better than they are. Lot's of stocks will drop so that we can re-sign them at a reasonable rate. The market won't be high for the guys who are tanking it.

Edited by GoGoColts

What kind of impact do you see the 2011 performance of contract year players, specifically Wayne and Garcon on negotions with Colts brass this upcoming season?

I think it is ignorant to assume that staff believes Wayne is not deserving of a new contract. Even when you look at the Harrison contract and his subsequent exit from the NFL. he should have had quite a few very prductive seasons barring the freak knee injury and subsequent shooting of his Philly folks.

I have to wonder, though, if Wayne having a down year will be used as amunition to keeping his contract down. And does Garcon's increased production in turning junk plays into big gains make the organization feel he is closer to reaching his potential and therefore worth a contract?

I say yes to wayne and no to garcon. Wayne gets resigned and Garcon moves on regardless.

I doubt we'll have sweeping F.O. change and for that reason see Chris Polian calling the shots. Assuming that's the case, I'd expect more of what he did that was correct - cutting players that were injury prone, too expensive, non-contributors, and having a willingness to draft for need plus bring in FAs. The trends were encouraging and a departure from the way things have been done in Indy for a long time. Granted, the lockout dynamic had an impact on all of these moves for 2011 but I believe it was clear to see this was more of a shift in team approach vs. capitalizing on fiscal circumstances.

Let's not forget the rookie wage scale will make paying draft picks reasonable and bodes well for us on multiple levels trying to assemble a better team. If we don't get the #1 I'd expect we'll be in the top three...... and picking at the top each round even if we stand pat and don't make any deals. That woud be two of the top 35 players in the 1st & 2nd rounds (equivalent two 1st round picks), and so on. Hypothetically, if we're able to deal away the #1 overall for multiple picks the building scenarios get even better. It's possible we could get a good number of the top 100 or so players available in 2012.....and again, if 2011 was an indication, more important FA signings might not be out of the realm of possibility. We'll see.

All of this ^ coupled with Manning re-evaluation after the season will set the team up not only for direction between then and April, but also steer value on in-house vets most particularly. So, performance on the team level (losing) will effect everyone and possibly accelerate some player departures. Prominent players in the potential turn-over and/or salary correction discussion for next year would be:

Anthony Gonzalez

Donald Brown

Jeff Saturday

Ryan Diem

Robert Mathis

Reggie Wayne

Pierre Garcon

Gary Brackett

Melvin Bullitt

We already have replacements for some of these guys on the team. Some will be gone regardless. Some are still trying to prove value and/or are otherwise question marks for the future. The Clint Session, Ryan Diem and Kelvin Hayden examples are evidence of current team view on value.....as well as Addai, Bullitt, Sanders, Hart, etc.

Depending on who leaves, we could have a very young team with turnover in leadership. On defense, I like Freeney and Bethea as leaders.....with Angerer and Nevis as potential rising stars. On offense, it all starts with QB and we know about the question marks there. Other current offensive leaders are Wayne and Saturday.

Regardless of the word anyone might put on it (e.g. "rebuild", "re-load") I think it's entirely possible to field a winning team in both the near (1-2 yr) future and building toward further down the road.

Yes, this is a terrible year for the Colts. As hard as it might be for some to see though....we're better at running the ball, converting 3rd & shorts, LB talent, and o-line play even though there's been a lot of shuffling. Hopefully, we have a lot to look forward to in Nevis and Castonzo.