Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So, Colts Get A Top 5 Pick....what Are They Gonna Do With It?

Seems quite likely that they are working towards a top 5 pick in the next draft, and I'm curious what you guys think about who the Colts might select? I really don't follow college football so I don't know who the 1st round pick guys would be, but I'm sure we have plenty of knowledgeable football fans who could offer up some hypotheticals.

I personally have been underwhelmed with what they've done in the draft in recent years. From Gonzalez to Brown to Delone--I didn't like any of those picks.

Two draft scenarios, IMO

I think if they have the number one, they will draft Luck. He may have alot of trade value, but the brass understand the value of a top tier QB, and Luck is being advertised by everyone in college football to be the real deal.

If they end up 2-3-4, I would think WR would be the biggest future need and most likely impact player for the near future. Alshon Jeffery or Justin Blackmon would be the logical selections T

Seems quite likely that they are working towards a top 5 pick in the next draft, and I'm curious what you guys think about who the Colts might select? I really don't follow college football so I don't know who the 1st round pick guys would be, but I'm sure we have plenty of knowledgeable football fans who could offer up some hypotheticals.

I personally have been underwhelmed with what they've done in the draft in recent years. From Gonzalez to Brown to Delone--I didn't like any of those picks.

Delone Carter was a 4th round pick and actually a pretty good one so far if you factor in our ever-present O-line problems.

Gonzales and Brown?

You're absolutely right....along with Jerry Hughes and Tony Ugoh, they've been almost complete wastes of our top pick in their respective draft class. Ugoh was a complete bust....Gonzo is a walking (when he CAN walk) M*A*S*H unit.....Brown is a great illustration why RBs are disappearing from the first round, making Carter look like a 4th round steal....and Hughes, so far, is no where near the impact DE he was perceived to be.

As far as next draft for the Colts....a #1 overall pick will involve Andrew Luck whether we select him or trade the pick. Those 2 options entirely hinge on Peyton Manning's medical outcome.

If the Colts land at the #2 thru #5 pick....and after last night's absolutely deplorable meltdown....I fully expect a trade down.

In those #2 thru #5 slots....along with the WRs jgstriker mentioned, you can expect to hear the names of QB Landry Jones from Oklahoma, LT Matt Kalil from USC and perhaps even QB Matt Barkley from USC since QBs tend to float up a bit to the top of round 1. DE Quinton Coples is another possibility for a team seeking a pass rusher....but he did not look all that great last Saturday.

Here's a link to one of many draft forecast websites if you want to catch up on 2012 prospects.....

http://www.cbssports...rospectrankings

You didnt like Pat Angerer or Austin Collie?/ or our goofy punter

Thanks for moving my thread to a place where nobody really posts.

Post about what to do in the draft...we have a draft forum....it was never a matter of if the thread would be moved but rather when. I'd also suggest if you have an issue with the thread being moved you address it via pm with one of the mods...just a bit of friendly advice you can take or ignore.

If we're drafting 1-5 then I prefer trading down and getting as many picks as possible.

Post about what to do in the draft...we have a draft forum....it was never a matter of if the thread would be moved but rather when. I'd also suggest if you have an issue with the thread being moved you address it via pm with one of the mods...just a bit of friendly advice you can take or ignore.

If we're drafting 1-5 then I prefer trading down and getting as many picks as possible.

Ding ding ding! Winner in everything you said!

If we have the first overall pick, I would like to see us draft Luck. If we don't have the first overall pick, I'm with you, I would like to see us trade down and get as many picks as we can. Clearly, there are lots of holes on this team

Trade it to the Browns and get there two 1st round picks 2nd,3rd,4th and next years 1st,2nd,3rd.

Zach Brown (10-15) OLB

Manti Te'o MLB...This is just a personal preference, but if the Colts FO evaluated both and preferred Kuechly then I've got no problem with that

Jerel Worthy (30-35) DT

Markelle Martin (40-45) FS

Cliff Harris (65-71) CB

Josh Chapman (78-83) DT

4th. Kevin Zeilter, OG

4th. Melvin Engram, DE

5th. Jeffrey Demps RB

6th. Robert Blanton, CB

7th. Derek Moye, WR

How's that? :)

Ding ding ding! Winner in everything you said!

If we have the first overall pick, I would like to see us draft Luck. If we don't have the first overall pick, I'm with you, I would like to see us trade down and get as many picks as we can. Clearly, there are lots of holes on this team

Well...the only difference is I'd still pass on Luck to trade down but you probably knew that already. .lol :D

If we have the first overall pick, consider trading it for additional picks only if you know that Manning is 100% healthy and can play at a high level. I think if we get some help for him on defense, and some more help on defense, we have a legitimate chance to win now. A Super Bowl win would make us all forget about Luck and remember how great we have it with Manning.

If Manning is determined not to be healthy, then you must choose Luck, regardless if you can trade for more picks. We don't want to be like the Jets with a good team but missing a quarterback that can win a Super Bowl. The quarterback position is the most important, and Luck may be the best prospect in recent years.