Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB prospects

That's exactly it.  Jones would be a huge risk/reward type player.  But he's the most athletically gifted linebacker in the draft.  Him having to switch from a SAM/WILL backer to our 3-4 ILB would add to the risk, but the talent is just too remarkable with Jones.

Didn't they move him to DE this year?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Didn't they move him to DE this year?

They have a hybird scheme with a 4-3 base, that switches to a 2-4-5.  Instead of Jones going from his WILL backer spot to the ILB like in a 3-4, they like to use a defensive back as their nickel linebacker.  So they put Jones as their rush OLB.  This is why FSU defense has been so dominant this year.  They are built to stop spread offenses.  Jones would not be a fit as DE or 3-4 OLB in the NFL.  He will be drafted most likely to play a SAM/WILL backer, or as what we would use him as, an ILB in a 3-4

They have a hybird scheme with a 4-3 base, that switches to a 2-4-5.  Instead of Jones going from his WILL backer spot to the ILB like in a 3-4, they like to use a defensive back as their nickel linebacker.  So they put Jones as their rush OLB.  This is why FSU defense has been so dominant this year.  They are built to stop spread offenses.  Jones would not be a fit as DE or 3-4 OLB in the NFL.  He will be drafted most likely to play a SAM/WILL backer, or as what we would use him as, an ILB in a 3-4

I can't endorse this. Jones is a specimen, and I think he'll do great as a Will backer in a 4-3 defense. But I don't think he fits as an ILB, at least not in our defensive front. And it would cost us a second rounder, at the very least, to draft him (I doubt he lasts to our pick, by the way). We'd be shoe-horning him into a position he's really not built for, hoping he can make the adjustment to the NFL and his new role. That's fine for a late round guy, not for a premium pick guy.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I can't endorse this. Jones is a specimen, and I think he'll do great as a Will backer in a 4-3 defense. But I don't think he fits as an ILB, at least not in our defensive front. And it would cost us a second rounder, at the very least, to draft him (I doubt he lasts to our pick, by the way). We'd be shoe-horning him into a position he's really not built for, hoping he can make the adjustment to the NFL and his new role. That's fine for a late round guy, not for a premium pick guy.

You could be right.  I don't have us drafting him in any mock, mainly because he shouldn't last that long...and a 4-3 team would be a better fit.  Then again, we drafted Werner in the first and made him change positions, so it's not like Grigson would shy away from Jones.

You could be right.  I don't have us drafting him in any mock, mainly because he shouldn't last that far...and a 4-3 team would be a better fit.  Then again, we drafted Werner in the first and made him change positions, so it's not like Grigson would shy away from Jones.

I think that's a different transition for Werner. Not necessarily easier, but not really comparable. For Werner, it's about technique and discipline. For Jones, it would be about body type and size, along with technique.

Jones could do this, but would be a potential replacement for Freeman, not a running mate. And for what he'd cost us, I don't think it would be smart to go after him. Just not a good fit for our team right now. JMO

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think that's a different transition for Werner. Not necessarily easier, but not really comparable. For Werner, it's about technique and discipline. For Jones, it would be about body type and size, along with technique.

Jones could do this, but would be a potential replacement for Freeman, not a running mate. And for what he'd cost us, I don't think it would be smart to go after him. Just not a good fit for our team right now. JMO

Not really disagreeing with you.  Especially if Grigson goes after any ILBs in free agency.  With McNary also progressing,  it may not even be as big of a need come draft day.

Werner also stood up as an OLB some at Florida State with that said 4-3 DE is his natural position, He has shown improvement though in his first year but his stopping and starting speed is a problem and flexibility in space, He is playing a bit faster however and the game seems to be coming to him

Werner also stood up as an OLB some at Florida State with that said 4-3 DE is his natural position, He has shown improvement though in his first year but his stopping and starting speed is a problem and flexibility in space, He is playing a bit faster however and the game seems to be coming to him

I wish he would scrap that knee brace, that can't help him in space. The guy hasn't had a knee injury that I'm aware of.

there are a couple of young ILB's from the 2011/2012 drafts that I would take a chance on if they happened to come available:

James Michael-Johnson-KC, college at Nevada

Nico Johnson-KC, college at Alabama

Jerry Franklin-Chi, college at Arkansas

Aside from the top guys like Kuechly, Te'o and Mychal Kendriks, these were among the LB's I was most impressed with from those classes

I wish he would scrap that knee brace, that can't help him in space. The guy hasn't had a knee injury that I'm aware of.

As far as I know he hasn't had a knee injury but I didn't follow him up till his junior year, Not concerned about it yet, I hope he works on developing a spin move and an inside move on pass rushes, I expect he gets better next year

I'm taking Bullough off my list. He runs like he's had both hips replaced. I don't think he'll play inside linebacker in the NFL.

I've really just considered him a bigger Pat Angerer....Not really good in coverage and much more a drag down tackler and Im honestly not sure he would be an upgrade over a 100% Pat Angerer

I've really just considered him a bigger Pat Angerer....Not really good in coverage and much more a drag down tackler and Im honestly not sure he would be an upgrade over a 100% Pat Angerer

He has a nose for the ball, and he gets himself into good position. He just doesn't have the range or athleticism he'll need in the NFL. He could play strongside backer in a 4-3.

Senior Cqulin Hubert out of Southeastern Louisiana as an undrafted, 6'1" 250lbs, hits with bad intentions (does not always wrap up though) has good sideline to sideline speed intrigues me as far as possible undrafted players go

A late round dark horse could be Andrew Jackson (6'1", 257lbs.) from Western Kentucky.   

Thats what Im thinking but Manusky likes to put our interior linebackers out on a slot receiver at times.......That would not bode well for Jackson. Unfortunately I dont think this ILB class is loaded with ILBS that are that good dropping back in zone, But there are a few

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised about the lack of respect on this board for Skov, especially considering our love for Stanford players. I love the guy, he's complete with instincts, athleticism, experience against good competition, and my favorite of all, a grinder.

I can't speak for everyone, but I want an ILB with good coverage skills.  That doesn't seem to be Skov's strong point.

WTH?!?

Does Shayne know this?

Shayne had one.   One, and it was about two years ago.   

A bizarre DUI that he got put on probation from the school for a quarter and was suspended for a game.

That's his only run-in with the law.    I'm not sure where the idea that he's had more incidents than this comes from,  but it's completely false.     Anyone have a link that shows otherwise?!?      Anyone??

Shayne's biggest worry from a draft perspective is his knee, which was badly damaged more than two years ago.      Took 3 surgeries to put him back together.

If it checks out with doctors, then he's probably a 3rd/4th round pick. 

But if there are still issues,  then he could fall to lower rounds,  or even be taken off some boards....   all depends on what the reports are....

Hope this clarifies....

I am sure you remember all of Andy's glaringly inaccurate analyses last post-season. I think we can expect more of the same.

Kid I really like who may last into later rounds is James Morris from Iowa. 4 yr. starter, 3.8 GPA, 6'2"- 235LBS,4.65 forty.

Morris played really well for Iowa in his 4-year career. In 2013, he amassed 107 tackles with 18 tackles for a loss, eight sacks, three passes broken up, four interceptions and two forced fumbles. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

He has a nose for the ball, and he gets himself into good position. He just doesn't have the range or athleticism he'll need in the NFL. He could play strongside backer in a 4-3.

I feel the same way about Borland.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I can't speak for everyone, but I want an ILB with good coverage skills.  That doesn't seem to be Skov's strong point.

That's an understatement.  If we need an ILB that can cover (which the general consensus here seems to be) then, Skov, Borland, and Bullough should be off everyones draft boards for the Colts.

That's an understatement.  If we need an ILB that can cover (which the general consensus here seems to be) then, Skov, Borland, and Bullough should be off everyones draft boards for the Colts.

Me Borland can cover a little bit, 3 picks and 18 passes defensed in his career, Its by no means a strong point of his though, Shawn Jackson from Tulsa can do both well, I expect his draft stock to climb to the middle rounds...3-4, What he lacks is size though 6'0"

Top 5 ILB's Im looking at (in no particular order)

1.Chris Borland-Wisconsin

2.Denzel Perryman-Miami

3.Shawn Jackson-Tulsa

4.Andrew Jackson-Western Kentucky

5.A.J. Johnson-Tennessee

But not the only ILB's Im looking at

Didn't Perryman and Johnson go back to school?

I like Denzel Perryman out of Miami

2nd-3rd Denzel Perryman ILB Miami-Fl Instinctive, explosive linebacker in the Ray Lewis mold. Fast, outstanding in pursuit and effective defending the run or covering the pass. Scheme diverse and can be used at middle linebacker, inside linebacker or on the weak side. Has a great upside. -DraftInsiders.net

Here is a breakdown of his game vs Florida this year

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/09/scouting-breakdown-denzel-perryman/

Highlights from this year aren't up yet but he is doing even better than his sophomore year

http://youtu.be/ybd_CKJAef4

This guy looks great we have NOTHING like him at LB now. He would be a huge upgrade!

Me Borland can cover a little bit, 3 picks and 18 passes defensed in his career, Its by no means a strong point of his though.

interception stats are very deceiving. i am sure most are a qb making a mistake against a zone coverage. you have to watch them cover man to man. lavonte david only had 2 interceptions in two years at nebraska, but watching him cover te's and slot receivers step for step is what really matters. i really wanted the colts to draft him!! he was sooo good!

interception stats are very deceiving. i am sure most are a qb making a mistake against a zone coverage. you have to watch them cover man to man. lavonte david only had 2 interceptions in two years at nebraska, but watching him cover te's and slot receivers step for step is what really matters. i really wanted the colts to draft him!! he was sooo good!

I think he has enough speed to drop back in zone but Im still a biton the fence with that, Take a look at Shawn Jackson if ya get a chance from Tulsa, He can do it all for sure, Mid to late round pick, I think he soars up draft boards, I can see him going as high as late 2nd or 3rd round pick before its all said and done

Chris Borland was one of the most impressive ILB's at the Senior Bowl. Scouts there compared him to Zach Thomas and that's who he plays like, great instincts when it comes to the run. Has average coverage ability but it's better then i thought. He's quick, picked off Logan Thomas today. The one thing you have to worry about is size. 

Lamin Barrow ILB from LSU also stood out. Looked good dropping into coverage has to get bigger though.

As of right now, the vote in the ILB Need thread is 35-23 in favor of a coverage guy. Based on the state of our roster right now, I tend to agree. I think we could let Angerer walk, keep Conner, still have McNary and Sheppard under contract. We have Freeman as the three down man, and we pair him with a different ILB based on situation and performance.

Drafting someone like Smallwood allows the team to groom a replacement for Freeman, someone with more upside and potential, who isn't a liability in coverage. And Conner and McNary can play as inside thumpers. There's also the possibility that Preston Brown lasts til the 7th round, or could be signed as an UDFA.

I like Perryman as a coverage guy. And I like Bullough and Brown as more run defenders.

"Groom a replacement for Freeman" Why would we be doing this Exactly?