Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB prospects

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain Borland to me.

His instincts are equal to luke kuechkly from the panthers, but he's not quite as a gifted. He'll have a poor showing at the combine, more than likely, but his football instincts, motor and relentlessness will make him a star at the next level. I compare him to luke to be honest.

Explain Borland to me.

He's expected to fall into the 3-5rd projections. I would take him in the second, just to make sure. He's that good. Then follow that up with selecting kenny bell in the late rounds and BAM...REDEMPTION for grig's and his putrid draft last year.

His instincts are equal to luke kuechkly from the panthers, but he's not quite as a gifted. He'll have a poor showing at the combine, more than likely, but his football instincts, motor and relentlessness will make him a star at the next level. I compare him to luke to be honest.

He's expected to fall into the 3-5rd projections. I would take him in the second, just to make sure. He's that good. Then follow that up with selecting kenny bell in the late rounds and BAM...REDEMPTION for grig's and his putrid draft last year.

I get that you want to have his baby, that's fine. What makes him better than Skov, Smallwood, Jackson, or any of the other guys who are expected to go from 2-4?

Preston Brown, Louisville

They say he's not great in coverage. The stats say he doesn't make many plays on the ball. What say you?

I don't know if I've ever seen him play. If I did, I don't remember him. If they replay the Louisville game from last night, I'll try to watch for him.

They say he's not great in coverage. The stats say he doesn't make many plays on the ball. What say you?

I don't know if I've ever seen him play. If I did, I don't remember him. If they replay the Louisville game from last night, I'll try to watch for him.

109 Tackles / 4 Tackle for Loss / 4 Pass break-up / 1 Int

87 tackles so far / 3.5 Sacks / 1 Pass break-up

I would have to watch more video on him to be honest with you. He would be available in a later round where we would be picking at.

WTH?!?

Does Shayne know this?

Shayne had one.   One, and it was about two years ago.   

A bizarre DUI that he got put on probation from the school for a quarter and was suspended for a game.

That's his only run-in with the law.    I'm not sure where the idea that he's had more incidents than this comes from,  but it's completely false.     Anyone have a link that shows otherwise?!?      Anyone??

Shayne's biggest worry from a draft perspective is his knee, which was badly damaged more than two years ago.      Took 3 surgeries to put him back together.

If it checks out with doctors, then he's probably a 3rd/4th round pick. 

But if there are still issues,  then he could fall to lower rounds,  or even be taken off some boards....   all depends on what the reports are....

Hope this clarifies....

Coming from someone who constantly makes stuff up about other schools. You two are a great fit.

Coming from someone who constantly makes stuff up about other schools. You two are a great fit.

You keep saying I make stuff up and yet you can't seem to name anything where I've made stuff up.

You seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension.    Plus, you seem to troll around looking for a fight.

By the way....   I wasn't saying that poster I responded to made up anything.    I just said he was wrong.

Again,   reading comprehension.

So.......

I'll make you a deal.

I'll avoid your posts and and you can avoid my posts.    That way no one else here has to put up with our dislike of each other?

Fair enough?

Let's ignore each other.............

Deal?

I like Denzel Perryman out of Miami

2nd-3rd Denzel Perryman ILB Miami-Fl Instinctive, explosive linebacker in the Ray Lewis mold. Fast, outstanding in pursuit and effective defending the run or covering the pass. Scheme diverse and can be used at middle linebacker, inside linebacker or on the weak side. Has a great upside. -DraftInsiders.net

Here is a breakdown of his game vs Florida this year

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/09/scouting-breakdown-denzel-perryman/

Highlights from this year aren't up yet but he is doing even better than his sophomore year

http://youtu.be/ybd_CKJAef4

I like Denzel Perryman out of Miami

2nd-3rd Denzel Perryman ILB Miami-Fl Instinctive, explosive linebacker in the Ray Lewis mold. Fast, outstanding in pursuit and effective defending the run or covering the pass. Scheme diverse and can be used at middle linebacker, inside linebacker or on the weak side. Has a great upside. -DraftInsiders.net

Here is a breakdown of his game vs Florida this year

http://www.detroitlionsdraft.com/2013/09/scouting-breakdown-denzel-perryman/

Highlights from this year aren't up yet but he is doing even better than his sophomore year

http://youtu.be/ybd_CKJAef4

I also like Perryman. I've seen him once or twice, and after looking him up, I'm impressed. He seems like he has good sideline to sideline speed, he closes fast, tackles well, sheds blocks, diagnoses plays well, he's smart and instinctive and gets in good position. He seems good in zone coverage, but I don't know if he can cover backs out of the backfield or run up the seam with receivers. I don't know what kind of agility he has. He's a little undersized for the kind of backer I think we need. He kind of reminds me of Jerrell Freeman, who is a nice player, but I think we need a monster by Freeman's side. Of course, that kind of guy is likely to be a liability in coverage (Preston Brown, for instance.)

I wouldn't take him in the second, not for the Colts. Maybe in the third, depending on how he tests at the Combine in coverage. All assuming he even comes out (which he very well might, having just had a kid).

Speaking of Preston Brown, he reminds me of Brandon Spikes (who is a FA, by the way). Big thumper who can close on the ball carrier, but stiff and struggles in coverage. Never mistaken for being rangy. Smart and can read plays, will play aggressively and take a fool down...

I wish you could fuse Brown and Perryman together, and grab that monster in the second round.

We need Max Bullough from MSU he is a beast and was heart of the #1 D in the nation

Right now has a 4th-5th round grade. We don't have a 4th rounder.

Depends on how he grades out prior to the draft, but I think I'd grab him in the 5th if he's there. To be honest, I think he'll move up after workouts and interviews, and maybe be an early 3rd round pick. I think he has a lot of pro potential, and would love to have him.

Depends on how he grades out prior to the draft, but I think I'd grab him in the 5th if he's there. To be honest, I think he'll move up after workouts and interviews, and maybe be an early 3rd round pick. I think he has a lot of pro potential, and would love to have him.

He's a great player for sure and I'm MSU bias of course but would love to have him on the colts would love to have his teammate Dennard tho oh I would cry with joy haha

I dunno, McShay/Scouts Inc have him as a low 2nd high 3rd. Not that means much in December

Given the chance I'd take Perryman over Brown but I do like Browns closing speed, Perryman is instinctive, can shed blocks well and plays with bad intentions. I still like Borland as well

I agree on Perryman. I definitely think he'll be the better player.

Personally, I'm not sold on Borland.

I agree on Perryman. I definitely think he'll be the better player.

Personally, I'm not sold on Borland.

Why not on Borland? I know he is not the most athletic ILB that will be in the draft but he is instinctual, Has good closing speed, Hits with bad intentions, can pass rush up the middle

You keep saying I make stuff up and yet you can't seem to name anything where I've made stuff up.

You seem to have difficulty with reading comprehension.    Plus, you seem to troll around looking for a fight.

By the way....   I wasn't saying that poster I responded to made up anything.    I just said he was wrong.

Again,   reading comprehension.

So.......

I'll make you a deal.

I'll avoid your posts and and you can avoid my posts.    That way no one else here has to put up with our dislike of each other?

Fair enough?

Let's ignore each other.............

Deal?

When you make stuff up because you don't like a college, I'm not going to ignore it.

When you make stuff up because you don't like a college, I'm not going to ignore it.

This is the third time you've made the claim and the third time you've refused to say what you think I made up.

I've repeatedly asked and you've repeatedly not told me what you think I made up.

I've either offered facts,  or, offered my opinion,  like on D'Anthony Thomas.   You just don't happen to like either of those.

At this point,  it's personal with you.    You're looking for a fight.

I'm either not going to respond,  or I'll have the moderators deal with you.

If you can't be an adult,  then you won't be treated like one.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Here's my take on the top 5 ILBs available in the draft. 

#1. C.J. Mosley (Alabama)- Best all around ILB prospect in the draft.  Top notch speed and athleticism, great instincts and awareness.  He's a tough kid, but likes to torpedo ball carriers, which could be a problem.  Mosley will probably go in the top 15, well out of our reach.

#2. Christian Jones (Florida State)- Most athletic LBer in the draft.  My vote for the Colts pick if he manages to fall to the late 2nd. (He probably won't)  Even on a great FSU defense Jones stands out.  One play that sticks out in my mind,  he ran stride for stride down the seam with Sammy Watkins, and broke up the pass.  We need a LBer that can cover downfield, Jones is the best in College football at that.  If you want to youtube one ILB, check out Jones...he's unreal.

#3. Yawin Smallwood (UConn)- Good all around ILB.   He's a decent run defender, with solid instincts, and a great downhill burst. But his real value is in pass coverage.  One of the better coverage LB's I've seen, and with his size, that's an impressive endorsement.  Smallwood has looked like an NFL LBer all season playing on a team with very little talent.  If the Colts go with an ILB in the 2nd round, and Jones is already gone, I would be happy with Smallwood.  I think he has the potential to be very good.

#4. Shayne Skov (Stanford)- A run stopping thumper, and pass rusher.  Not an every down ILB, but as an early down run stopper, he's the best in the draft.  I'm not interested in drafting Skov, because he's a complete liability in coverage.  He also plays too aggressive at times and tends to over pursue.

#5. Chris Borland (Wisconsin)- Great instinctual LBer.  He would be an upgrade over Angerer for sure, but he's also a weak in pass coverage.  He's doesn't quite have the speed to be a sideline to sideline player, but he has a great motor, and is one of the more intelligent players in the country as far as football IQ.  I think if he fell to the 5th we should absolutely take him, (if we have not drafted an ILB yet) but because he's not an every down ILB I feel he's not worth our 2nd or 3rd pick.

The defensive steal of the draft is CHRIS BORLAND. Whomever drafts this kid will be getting a top 5 ILB at the next level. The offensive steal is KENNY BELL (nebraska), whom is another hines ward.

i don't see kenny bell (6-1 185 4.5) being anything like hines ward at all. he is more of a big play wr/kr, not a physical wr. i do really like the nebraska recievers, but it is really hard to judge them with the terrible qb play that has been there for a long time. enunwa is the big physical wr (6-2 225 4.5). i would like to see the colts give him a shot.

FWIW:

This week Mel Kiper put out his top senior players at every position -- which he updates periodically.

Plus, the top non-seniors at each position.

I'm cutting and pasting his lists for ILB along with his comments.    This list will likely be very different by the time the draft in may comes around......

Inside linebackers

Top seniors

1. C.J. Mosley, Alabama
2. Chris Borland, Wisconsin
3. Shayne Skov, Stanford
4. Jordan Zumwalt, UCLA
5. Glenn Carson, Penn St.
6. Avery Williamson, Kentucky
7. Preston Brown, Louisville
8. Max Bullough, Michigan St.

Updates: Mosley is going to go in Round 1, while I see Borland as a likelier fit in Round 2 or early in Round 3. I've really liked what I've seen from Zumwalt recently. He can be a bit overshadowed.

Top non-seniors

1. Yawin Smallwood, Connecticut
2. A.J. Johnson, Tennessee
3. Ramik Wilson, Georgia
4. Trey DePriest, Alabama
5. Hayes Pullard, USC

Updates: Exactly zero changes since the previous update. 

As of right now, the vote in the ILB Need thread is 35-23 in favor of a coverage guy. Based on the state of our roster right now, I tend to agree. I think we could let Angerer walk, keep Conner, still have McNary and Sheppard under contract. We have Freeman as the three down man, and we pair him with a different ILB based on situation and performance.

Drafting someone like Smallwood allows the team to groom a replacement for Freeman, someone with more upside and potential, who isn't a liability in coverage. And Conner and McNary can play as inside thumpers. There's also the possibility that Preston Brown lasts til the 7th round, or could be signed as an UDFA. 

I like Perryman as a coverage guy. And I like Bullough and Brown as more run defenders.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but why not sign a guy like Beason.  He is still relatively young (28) and with Chuck's influence he could be elite once again.

I really have no idea how much he'll command but if I had to guess it will be around $5-7 mill. per season.

I just dont' see the point in replacing a guy who can't cover (Angerer), with a guy who can't cover (Skov).  I think a team that would be albe to use Skov as a rotational 3-4 OLB would be better served by drafting him.

I think that too.

We absolutely badly need another (McNary 1 it appears) ILB that can cover. Gotta have depth there too..

With all these run stuffing ILB`s sounding to be available in the draft, if Griggs could find our cover (3rd down) ILB in FA,

he would be in a Good position to go best player on his board in the 2nd and grab one of these hard hitting ILB`s to develope and backup Freeman in the 3rd. Sheppard has shown promise these last 2 games thank goodness.

I`d bet now our 2 and 3 will be for D. A good corner would be hard to pass on at 2.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but why not sign a guy like Beason.  He is still relatively young (28) and with Chuck's influence he could be elite once again.

I really have no idea how much he'll command but if I had to guess it will be around $5-7 mill. per season.

Jon Beason? What is this 2008 lol?

Guest TeamLoloJones

A J Johnson looks to have the physical tools to be a 3 down guy in our D.

Lets get him.

My favorite prospects are Christian Jones and Yawin Smallwood in the 2nd.  I wouldn't mind Johnson either if we got him in the 3rd.

inspired by the thread, and NEEDING to get away from the stuff that gets under my skin which has been multitudious, (wish i could help myself as i think it bothers some Colts fan) chuckle

i  briefly looked at about 15 ILB prospects.
 What you said is about it.
But i want a guy who can develope into a GOOD 3 down back in 2-3 years and I want to start with as prototypical a body as i can.
This guy is right there.

Good coaching and hard work and his mind will get him in the right spot most of the time.
A lot of hard hitters in the draft. If you can`t get All you want in one guy make sure you have that fast LB to bring in pass situations. McNary- Somebody, be the guy.

My head spun at 1000mph in total laughter when we were replacing Sheppard in 3rd down pass situations with Angerer.

Grigson Pagano Roster grade FFF- on having that situation covered this season.

This is a Great time to add a 1st contract Vet for pass situational play. Next season we are the REAL DEAL!

Guest TeamLoloJones

I dont know why you like Christian Jones so much Lolo. 

He is the typical boom or bust kinda guy id rather go with a safe pick like Skov or Bullough. 

That's exactly it.  Jones would be a huge risk/reward type player.  But he's the most athletically gifted linebacker in the draft.  Him having to switch from a SAM/WILL backer to our 3-4 ILB would add to the risk, but the talent is just too remarkable with Jones.