Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ILB prospects

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJ Mosley is, as it stands, (probably) the top inside linebacker prospect right now.

Shayne Skov from Stanford is also a talented player, but has the occasional arrests.

Chris Borland and Christian Jones are also good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round. 

Andrew Jackson and Avery Williamson are two rising prospects I like.

Guest TeamLoloJones

If you are drafting someone to be the starter out of the gate, it has to be Christian Jones from Florida State.  I bet he goes in the late 2nd round.  He has the speed and athleticism to cover downfield, which is what we need.  If you were drafting someone for depth (if we get a FA ILB) the guy I would go after is Chris Borland from Wisconsin.  He is a little undersized, and lacks speed in coverage.  But he has arguably the best instincts and motor of any defensive player in the entire draft.  Think Zach Thomas.  I have him falling to the 4th round because his size and lack of range.

Because the Big 10 is not that hyped, Max Bullough does not get as much recognition. I think he is a very good player, might be there in round 3, I feel. This article was written in early September, and other sites have Max in rounds 3 or 4.

Read this, Michigan State has some good defensive prospects and I like their ILB and CB profiled in this:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Michigan-State-Defense.html

Calling on all draft nerds!

What inside linebackers are available in the draft? What kind of grades and projections are on them? How would they fit in our defense, alongside Freeman?

Hey! I resent that JK  but I will try to be as impartial as I can:

1. CJ Mosley ( projection: 1st)

Decent size with some speed. From day 1, In a 3-4 defense, he will probably be the 2nd ILB but can easily develop into a #1, in a 4-3 most likely the rusher. he is good against the run and surprisingly decent in coverage. He's a good tackler but my problem is he isn't a huge thumper in the sense if you want one of those enforcers/ heavy hitters in the middle of the field. Draft projection: SL Rams Comparison: Sean Lee

2. AJ Johnson ( P: 1-2)

Like Mosley, decent sized.Can play a 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB he is a good open field tackler against the run but one problem is sometimes he can't come off quick enough. Projection: SD Chargers Comparison: Donald Butler

3. Ryan Shazier (2)

He adds that heavy hitting element some people would want. good vs the run and can add an pass rush element. He will need to put on weight to play ILB at the Next level. Projection: ATL Falcons Comparison: AJ Hawk

4. Christian Jones ( 2-4)

More of a thumper in comparison to the 1st 2. to me more of a 4-3 OLB rather than ILB. probably not going to bad off the edge because he is quite quick. Projection: GB Packers Comparison: Jason Worilds

5. Shayne Skov (2-3)

Decent size and reasonable speed. He is good against the run, HB or QB. adds a little thump aswell and is very good on the Blitz. concerns may be questions with his injuries Projection: DEN Broncos Comparison: Brian Cushing

5. Yawin Smallwood ( 2-4)

Good size for ILB. Can be very good against the run and sometimes in coverage but he needs to learn how to shed blocks.

Projection: PHI Eagles Comparison: Derrick Johnson

6. Chris Borland ( 3-5)

Can be a thumper when making a hit, can blitz and is good against the run. Main concern is he can be blocked quite easily sometimes due to his height. Projection:JAX Jaguars Comparison: Joe Mays

There are many others but here are the top few. I would hope the likes of Skov or Shazier fall to us in the 3rd ( after we draft Allen Robinson in the 2nd of course)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Because the Big 10 is not that hyped, Max Bullough does not get as much recognition. I think he is a very good player, might be there in round 3, I feel. This article was written in early September, and other sites have Max in rounds 3 or 4.

Read this, Michigan State has some good defensive prospects and I like their ILB and CB profiled in this:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Prospect-Focus-Michigan-State-Defense.html

I love Dennard at CB, if we get our WR situation figure out before the draft, I want him with our 2nd round pick (if he falls).  I would have Bullough  going at the end of the 2nd round.  If both he and Christian Jones are there at our pick, I would take Jones.

Shayne Skov from Stanford is also a talented player, but has the occasional arrests.

From Cali, so I watch a lot of Pac 12 football. Skov always stands out. I wasn't aware of his arrest history. Just looked it up, looks like a DUI from early 2012. Is there anything else?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Hey! I resent that JK  but I will try to be as impartial as I can:

1. CJ Mosley ( projection: 1st)

Decent size with some speed. From day 1, In a 3-4 defense, he will probably be the 2nd ILB but can easily develop into a #1, in a 4-3 most likely the rusher. he is good against the run and surprisingly decent in coverage. He's a good tackler but my problem is he isn't a huge thumper in the sense if you want one of those enforcers/ heavy hitters in the middle of the field. Draft projection: SL Rams Comparison: Sean Lee

2. AJ Johnson ( P: 1-2)

Like Mosley, decent sized.Can play a 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB he is a good open field tackler against the run but one problem is sometimes he can't come off quick enough. Projection: SD Chargers Comparison: Donald Butler

3. Ryan Shazier (2)

He adds that heavy hitting element some people would want. good vs the run and can add an pass rush element. He will need to put on weight to play ILB at the Next level. Projection: ATL Falcons Comparison: AJ Hawk

4. Christian Jones ( 2-4)

More of a thumper in comparison to the 1st 2. to me more of a 4-3 OLB rather than ILB. probably not going to bad off the edge because he is quite quick. Projection: GB Packers Comparison: Jason Worilds

5. Shayne Skov (2-3)

Decent size and reasonable speed. He is good against the run, HB or QB. adds a little thump aswell and is very good on the Blitz. concerns may be questions with his injuries Projection: DEN Broncos Comparison: Brian Cushing

5. Yawin Smallwood ( 2-4)

Good size for ILB. Can be very good against the run and sometimes in coverage but he needs to learn how to shed blocks.

Projection: PHI Eagles Comparison: Derrick Johnson

6. Chris Borland ( 3-5)

Can be a thumper when making a hit, can blitz and is good against the run. Main concern is he can be blocked quite easily sometimes due to his height. Projection:JAX Jaguars Comparison: Joe Mays

There are many others but here are the top few. I would hope the likes of Skov or Shazier fall to us in the 3rd ( after we draft Allen Robinson in the 2nd of course)

I'm confused by your team comparisons, are the team names who you've projected to draft them?

I'm confused by your team comparisons...for example, why is Brian Cushing a Bronco?

No, I don't mean it like that. I first did who these prospects would go to ( if not us), then I did a player in the NFL comparison. I wasn't saying Cushing was with the Broncos, I was saying Skov would likely go to a team like the Broncos and the way he plays just reminds me of how Brian Cushing play.

SORRY! I SHOULD'VE BEEN CLEARER!  :thmup:  

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, I don't mean it like that. I first did who these prospects would go to ( if not us), then I did a player in the NFL comparison. I wasn't saying Cushing was with the Broncos, I was saying Skov would likely go to a team like the Broncos and the way he plays just reminds me of how Brian Cushing play.

SORRY! I SHOULD'VE BEEN CLEARER!  :thmup:  

haha...I figured it out right after I posted.  Good work.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/ILB

CBS Sports.com provides a list above 45 prospects at ILB

I like Chris Borland out of Wisconsin the best- 50 Tackles for loss in his career thus far, 17 sacks 14 forced fumbles 3 picks...Not the most athletic of ILB's but can get side line to side line pretty well, More of a down hill thumper, He also flashes a nice spin move to help him disengage from O Linemen to put pressure on the QB, sheds blocks pretty well, has excellent closing speed, a real thumper, 5'11" 245lbs. He has also lined up as rush linebacker at times,  A true leader of the defense. At this stage probably more of a 2 down ILB, But would fit nicely in our multiple scheme as a strong side inside LB...But I have not looked at alot of prospects at the position, Only about 3-4...CBS Sports has him going at the bottom of the 2nd to somewhere in the 3rd round at this point

A.J. Johnson 6'2" 243lbs very good sideline to sideline speed, a real thumper as well.....Diagnosing plays needs some work, is late to recognize players crossing right in front of him at times, Good closing speed, 2 down strong side interior linebacker in the NFL. Projected right now from the bottome of the 3rd round or early 4th at this point by CBS Sports

I love Dennard at CB, if we get our WR situation figure out before the draft, I want him with our 2nd round pick (if he falls). I would have Bullough going at the end of the 2nd round. If both he and Christian Jones are there at our pick, I would take Jones.

I love Denmark he's a stud but I'm a msu fan so ill take any Spartans on my colts tho loll

Guest TeamLoloJones

Shane Skov is the best bet at our pick IMO. He's versatile, being able to play ILB and OLB in a 34. Have to consider is off the filed issues as well. 

I just dont' see the point in replacing a guy who can't cover (Angerer), with a guy who can't cover (Skov).  I think a team that would be albe to use Skov as a rotational 3-4 OLB would be better served by drafting him.

From Cali, so I watch a lot of Pac 12 football. Skov always stands out. I wasn't aware of his arrest history. Just looked it up, looks like a DUI from early 2012. Is there anything else?

No other arrests, but he's not known as a Church child let's just say. 

However, I think a lot of it is overblown and could be a good pick for the Colts in the 2nd round.

He does have some injury problems though (ACL).

Shane Skov is the best bet at our pick IMO. Have to consider is off the filed issues as well. 

Dustin my Amigo, I agree if he is there by the time we pick ( in the 3rd of course) I would love to take him.

I just dont' see the point in replacing a guy who can't cover (Angerer), with a guy who can't cover (Skov).  I think a team that would be albe to use Skov as a rotational 3-4 OLB would be better served by drafting him.

From what I've seen, he's actually pretty good in coverage and if we wanted to draft a 3-4 OLB,I would probably be more inclined to draft Shazier ( that could change if he adds some weight.)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Dustin my Amigo, I agree if he is there by the time we pick ( in the 3rd of course) I would love to take him.

From what I've seen, he's actually pretty good in coverage and if we wanted to draft a 3-4 OLB,I would probably be more inclined to draft Shazier ( that could change if he adds some weight.)

Anything more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage he will be a huge liability in coverage.  He will most likely have the slowest 40 of any ILB at the combine.  He'll post around a 4.9.  That will just not cut it vs. today's NFL tight ends.

Anything more than 5 yards past the line of scrimmage he will be a huge liability in coverage.  He will most likely have the slowest 40 of any ILB at the combine.  He'll post around a 4.9.  That will just not cut it vs. today's NFL tight ends.

( moderators I don't mean it in the literal sense) but I would like to offer a gentlemen's wager to TeamLoloJones. I bet that Skov at the combine runs a 40 faster than a 4.7. if not, I will publicly write on the Colts Forum a thread dedicated to apologizing.

Do you accept TeamLoloJones? 

Burfict ran a 5.09.

According to Scouts Inc

C.J. Mosley ILB 6'2⅜" 228 Alabama 93

Max Bullough ILB 6'3¼" 249 Michigan State 79

Trey DePriest ILB 6'2" 240 Alabama 78

Greg Blair ILB 6'0½" 262 Cincinnati 73

Andrew Jackson ILB 6'0¼" 266 Western Kentucky 72

Chris Borland ILB 5'11⅝" 251 Wisconsin 70

Yawin Smallwood ILB 6'2⅛" 235 Connecticut 69

Shayne Skov ILB 6'2¼" 239 Stanford 63

Jack Tyler ILB 5'11⅝" 228 Virginia Tech 57

Guest TeamLoloJones

( moderators I don't mean it in the literal sense) but I would like to offer a gentlemen's wager to TeamLoloJones. I bet that Skov at the combine runs a 40 faster than a 4.7. if not, I will publicly write on the Colts Forum a thread dedicated to apologizing.

Do you accept TeamLoloJones? 

I accept.

CJ Mosley is, as it stands, (probably) the top inside linebacker prospect right now.

Chris Borland and Christian Jones are also good prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round. 

Andrew Jackson and Avery Williamson are two rising prospects I like.

According to Scouts Inc

C.J. Mosley ILB 6'2⅜" 228 Alabama 93

Max Bullough ILB 6'3¼" 249 Michigan State 79

Trey DePriest ILB 6'2" 240 Alabama 78

Greg Blair ILB 6'0½" 262 Cincinnati 73

Andrew Jackson ILB 6'0¼" 266 Western Kentucky 72

Chris Borland ILB 5'11⅝" 251 Wisconsin 70

Yawin Smallwood ILB 6'2⅛" 235 Connecticut 69

Shayne Skov ILB 6'2¼" 239 Stanford 63

Jack Tyler ILB 5'11⅝" 228 Virginia Tech 57

Borland. Andrew Jackson is a great 34 thumper. Skov and Mosely of course.

You all mentioned Andrew Jackson. Is he still suspended? Does anyone know what his suspension was for? And do you think he falls out of the draft entirely?

You all mentioned Andrew Jackson. Is he still suspended? Does anyone know what his suspension was for? And do you think he falls out of the draft entirely?

He was only suspended for one game and that was because of an "off the field issue"

I don't think that little suspension will hurt him, but he is a big talker on the field. However, the talent is definitely there and he's only getting better. 

He was only suspended for one game and that was because of an "off the field issue"

I don't think that little suspension will hurt him, but he is a big talker on the field. However, the talent is definitely there and he's only getting better. 

Thanks. You also mentioned Avery Williamson. Sounds like a great kid. Do you think he's athletic enough to play in the NFL?

Thanks. You also mentioned Avery Williamson. Sounds like a great kid. Do you think he's athletic enough to play in the NFL?

His athleticism is decent. He's not quick, but he's not slow. He has great downhill speed and doesn't miss too often on tackles. He's a double digit tackler game in and game out.

He's a guy to look at in the later rounds, because with the exception of tackling, he's quite average everywhere else. He does have good potential and reminds me of Danny Trevathan. 

WTH?!?

Does Shayne know this?

Shayne had one.   One, and it was about two years ago.   

A bizarre DUI that he got put on probation from the school for a quarter and was suspended for a game.

That's his only run-in with the law.    I'm not sure where the idea that he's had more incidents than this comes from,  but it's completely false.     Anyone have a link that shows otherwise?!?      Anyone??

Shayne's biggest worry from a draft perspective is his knee, which was badly damaged more than two years ago.      Took 3 surgeries to put him back together.

If it checks out with doctors, then he's probably a 3rd/4th round pick. 

But if there are still issues,  then he could fall to lower rounds,  or even be taken off some boards....   all depends on what the reports are....

Hope this clarifies....