Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Would Manning Want To Come Back To This Team? (Merge)

nsurg

Sorry, just have to ask it, I've been thinking it for the past 4 games... I've often felt sorry for a high-end college qb who gets drafted high 1st round to a terrible team where they he is doomed to underachieve and potentially have a shorter career. This is different, but a valid question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still behind the colts and paying $$$ for nfl ticket to watch every game, but doesn't anybody feel a bit sorry for manning if he does come back to this? I think it's becoming clear that he could be the best qb of all time, but returning to a team anywhere similar to this one won't help his legacy (sure, they could be better without injuries). Brady returned to a team that was 11-5 with Cassel, which is a somewhat-valid comparison. Painter is not playing horrible, just average, and the team still can't win. Not fair.

I'll remain a colts fan even if Manning never takes another snap in the NFL, but I have so much respect for Manning that I feel bad if his talents are anything close to wasted with a poor team even for a few years. Plus it can't be more than a few years that he plays if he returns, so why not build with the colts and let manning play for a killer team? It will never happen that he's traded, obviously.

I think Manning will be back and play on a high level, but I'm just torn with this season's full exposure of the team.

Edited by nsurg

Manning to the Ravens/Jets = A ring for every season.

The Jets are actually a strong possibility if he goes to another team. RR loves him. The Jets are, quite literally, only missing a QB.

Brady and the Patriots VS Manning and an ACTUAL TEAM? Twice a season? Plus playoffs maybe? That would what little debate there is between the two right quick.

The Baltimore scenario is much less likely, but would be ironic/hilarious. Imagine Ray Lewis on one side of the ball and PM on the other. Holy crap.

Edited by Moose Of Woe

To clarify, I'm not asking that he be traded or expecting that he should be... I just feel really bad that he not only loses this year, but has to come back to a team that might optimistically be called "building." Everybody feels bad for the colts and for manning's injury, but i'm not sure this point has been made, and the irony is that it puts a true colts fan into a situation where you could feel happy if manning did not come back--which is awkward.

Really? The Jets? That is as disgusting as a thought as I can imagine. Peyton WILL retire as a Colt. He won't leave. I think he has another shot at a ring here as long as there is a coaching change. I know i was all for protecting Caldwell, but there is a whole bunch of proof that the coaches collapse when in trouble. Your team needs to rally behind a coach, not just Peyton. He will be back soley on the fact that he has everything to prove to this team that his loyalty lies here. Just my opinion.

It's part of the NFL. Just because you're very talented doesn't mean you're team is going to do well or even deserves to do well.

Some of the greatest QBs of all time had a lot of rough seasons of not even making the playoffs. Peyton really has been quite fortunate so far as far as injuries and playoff consistency goes.

I do kinda agree with what you're saying, and I've thought about that, but of course he'll be back. He even stated in the press conference after he signed the 5 yr 90 million dollar deal that he'll never take a snap with another NFL team- He will retire a Colt. He has too much class to back out now. I just hope that when he comes back next year, we don't have the spend the season rebuilding from this season. That is, saying this season continues where it is right now..

yea peyton aint going anywhere, Andrew Luck cant do anything for this team either... not like this lol... forget him and build that defense because it is their biggest problem... NO PUNTS WHATSOEVER FROM THE SAINTS????

I agree. Our defense was horrendous tonight. I like to think the game would've been closer had Peyton been playing, but who knows?

I agree. Our defense was horrendous tonight. I like to think the game would've been closer had Peyton been playing, but who knows?

The game would definitley be different if peyton was there, but he's not and im glad he's not to show the types of huge holes the colts have on their team

There r too many problems here and manning maybe barely make the playoff even if he were healthy this season and it would only because our division suck as well. Admit or not, if manning can play another 5 yrs such a team cannot go anywhere near a sb and he will retire with oonly one ring.

i wouldn't trade manning for a 3rd pick, the bengals just got 2 1st rounders for carson palmer

Just making a point. If we can get more picks why not? But even if it's a 3rd rounder I would still do it since manning's era here is over - not because he is no oonger great, but because the team needs to be built from bottom up.

I have never started a topic on the new board and I just wanted to discuss this topic specifically.

New Orleans is his hometown team. His dad even played for them! It would be like one of us life long fans rooting against the Colts because we played for the Saints. It has to be kind of bittersweet to endure that. For me, it was the most devastating loss in my 17 years as an Indianapolis Colts fan. I think it hurts Peyton even more. He now knows his team really is the bottoms of the NFL without him. And it is because of his greatness we have had the lowest overall draft picks over the last decade. Add to the fact we never get any big names in free agency because of the small market syndrome, and this was inevitable.

I think it was the hardest loss of his career. He was embarrassed in his home town tonight and we all were as true Colts. I really don't know if anyone or anything is to blame other than having the best record over the last decade and being in a small market during a hard cap era.

So how hard does everyone else think that game was for Peyton? I'm actually starting to fear for his career. This is sad.

Edited by BobbyMorris94

I have never started a topic on the new board and I just wanted to discuss this topic specifically.

New Orleans is his hometown team. His dad even played for them! It would be like one of us life long fans rooting against the Colts because we played for the Saints. It has to be kind of bittersweet to endure that. For me, it was the most devastating loss in my 17 years as an Indianapolis Colts fan. I think it hurts Peyton even more. He now knows his team really is the bottoms of the NFL without him. And it is because of his greatness we have had the lowest overall draft picks over the last decade. Add to the fact we never get any big names in free agency because of the small market syndrome, and this was inevitable.

I think it was the hardest loss of his career. He was embarrassed in his home town tonight and we all were as true Colts. I really don't know if anyone or anything is to blame other than having the best record over the last decade and being in a small market during a hard cap era.

So how hard does everyone else think that game was for Peyton? I'm actually starting to fear for his career. This is sad.

The most devasting thing has to be Peyton realizing that with a real team and coaching staff everyone outside of the Colts fan base would know that he IS the greatest QB of all time.

SMH, Peyton deserves/deserved so much more than this. He will go down as the GOAT, no doubt, but there will be a lot of "If's" in his legacy. For example, what if he had a high-powered defense for majority of his career? What if he had a good coach after Dungy retired? What if he had a Wes Welker/Darren Sproles type player? What if he had __________?

Peyton legacy as the GOAT has been cemented. Definitely after tonight.

Edited by smittywerb

This was also on national television, since it was at 8:20pm EST. Everyone had nothing else to watch. Furthermore, it was a rematch of the Superbowl Saints vs. Colts, so there was some genuine interest in how it would turn out. This rout was an embarrassment of ridiculous proportions.

Edited by ReMeDy

This was also on national television, since it was at 8:20pm EST. Everyone had nothing else to watch. Furthermore, it was a rematch of the Superbowl Saints vs. Colts, so there was some genuine interest in how it would turn out. This rout was an embarrassment of ridiculous proportions.

The only saving grace of the evening was that the World Series was on tonight and that's kind of a bigger deal than a SNF blowout. It could have taken at least a million viewers away tonight.

Well.... Let's see if the Polians and Irsay have woken up yet. This loss will prove how good they are at doing their jobs and how much they care about this organizations future and especially their fans. Look on ESPN, the main headline. "Saints embarrass Colts in 62-7 Laughter". This loss was rock bottom, and if Caldwell and Larry Coyer still have a job come tomorrow, we're done. And this is what we'll be seeing and known for all season long.

You're kidding right? Did anyone actually expect the Colts to win tonight? Without Peyton...this wasn't a "rematch" of a Super Bowl game from 2 years ago. This was a team clicking on all cylinders playing against a team hobbled by the loss of its franchise quarterback.

Well.... Let's see if the Polians and Irsay have woken up yet. This loss will prove how good they are at doing their jobs and how much they care about this organizations future and especially their fans. Look on ESPN, the main headline. "Saints embarrass Colts in 62-7 Laughter". This loss was rock bottom, and if Caldwell and Larry Coyer still have a job come tomorrow, we're done. And this is what we'll be seeing and known for all season long.

Polian is one of the main problems with this team with his arrogant "My way or no way" attitude.

He built this team and hired the coaches . This season is all about Bill Polian.

As for Manning, this season has to be just tearing him apart.

Edited by Blue Horseshoe

Manning to the Ravens/Jets = A ring for every season.

The Jets are actually a strong possibility if he goes to another team. RR loves him. The Jets are, quite literally, only missing a QB.

Brady and the Patriots VS Manning and an ACTUAL TEAM? Twice a season? Plus playoffs maybe? That would what little debate there is between the two right quick.

The Baltimore scenario is much less likely, but would be ironic/hilarious. Imagine Ray Lewis on one side of the ball and PM on the other. Holy crap.

I said during the spring that Manning going to either of these teams made more sense than staying here. Manning vs Brady 2 or 3 times a year would be classic. If Manning went to Baltimore then maybe they would shut up about the team moving because they would have stolen it back.

It's really a little depressing to think how many championships the man could have had with a little defense once in a while.

Edited by Blue Horseshoe

Manning sure looked angry last night, yelling toward the field like a coach. He has every reason to return. This team is being positioned to garner skill players to supplement his final years here. I believe the biggest point of contention is what will become of our flawed defensive coaching. I cannot foresee a scenario in which Coyer retains his job.

He isn't going anywhere.The colts give him a lot of control over football operations.I doubt another team would be as willing.Besides,it would take him 3 years to build another teams offense to his style of play.That's time he doesn't have to spare and he knows that.I also believe that once manning does retire;he'll play a substancial role as either partial owner/coach or gm.He'll be part of our football basically for life.

What's to say Manning will even return the same when he does?!

I can understand why people are suggesting that we trade him, he may never come back the same, if we could ship him out of there are get a few good draft picks would it be such a terrible thing?!

Terrible idea.

Do not doubt Manning's resolve, he will be back and as good as ever. What sense does it make to trade the best QB to ever play the game for a few picks that may or may not pan out? I am in the "draft Luck and keep Manning" club.

The team is designed for Peyton Manning, even on defense. For one, there is more than enough time for Peyton to throw. He scans the field much better and doesn't lock on to receivers. It's the same receivers he's had and, honestly, none of them see to have really drop off too much. On defense, the team is still made to play with a lead (while admittedly still not that great). Forcing teams to pass and giving our DEs more time to make plays is what the defense is built around, but no one really HAS to pass, so they leave in Anderson and Brayton quite often. With Peyton Manning, this team plays a very different game. Not that I think this is the greatest team ever, but I do think this team is custom built for Peyton and the Colts don't have a backup who can do a tenth of what Peyton does.

Trading Peyton would put the death blow to this franchise. What he has done is not unheard of in pro sports. Look at what LeBron did in Cleveland. He alone made them a contender. Same here, no matter how bad it is this year, if he can come back we stand a chance. He knows that. His legacy is cemented, but he could really make something for himself by staying and turning this around. He can do it, but he needs the support of a real coach and for the Polian's to drop their foolish pride and go all in for the team.

Terrible idea.

Do not doubt Manning's resolve, he will be back and as good as ever. What sense does it make to trade the best QB to ever play the game for a few picks that may or may not pan out? I am in the "draft Luck and keep Manning" club.

I'm not doubting that Manning wants to be back, but at his age, and with that type of injury, it may never be possible to him to physically do the things he used to on a consistant basis again!