Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

.Trent Richardson demoted to the Colts' second-string tailback (merge)

CS Colts Fan

People need to realize that a lot of our trades and signings are not really cap damaging like some would like to believe. The only One that really could long-term ramifications is the TRich trade.

He will have the early part of next season to prove himself and get on track. If he doesn't, then we made a big mistake pure and simple.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post, CS.

I posted this way before he did in two different threads. We had a thread that was for all TR .. there and in the Reggie wayne thread also. Guy steals my thunder . Would you please retract the above and give the credit where it was due ?

I posted this way before he did in two different threads. We had a thread that was for all TR .. there and in the Reggie wayne thread also. Guy steals my thunder . Would you please retract the above and give the credit where it was due ?

You are a weird dude.

well to be fair to trent..he WAS thrown right into the mix right after being traded...it may be the easiest position to learn but you also gotta learn to trust your blockers..and to get in sync with them...AND this is his third playbook he's had to learn in 1 year..i think he feels his blockers aren't gonna hold up their blocks half the time so he tries to make his own holes and it don't work...really you can't blame him... the offensive line is terrible..and for brown...it took the signing of bradshaw and the trade for trent for him to realize the team had no faith in him..and that's why he's doing good ..he's fighting to keep his spot...a desperate man is a dangerous man...if Edge James see's something in him..ima just wait til next season before i call him or the trade a bust...

Given that an average RB career in the NFL is only 4 years, I hope we don't have to wait that long for T-Rich to develop. We gave up an awful lot for one or two years of productiveness before his NFL life expires.

This is somewhat misguided because you're talking about all the guys drafted in the NFL.  The average career in the NFL is much different when you're talking about higher draft picks.  For instance, in an ESPN mag, citing a 2011 study by the NFL, the average life span for ANY player drafted that makes the 53 man roster is 6.86 seasons.  If it was a first round pick, they have a career length of 9.3 years.  Players who make a pro bowl have a career length is 11.7 years.

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/NFL-study-clarifies-average-career-length/eb9db235-47f4-487e-a4bb-9f241641b0cb

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/15/nfl-study-finds-686-year-average-career-for-players/

He's a damn running back, it's the easiest skill position. He takes no blame for his awful play, pathetic. 

Just because it's the "easiest skill position" doesn't mean it's easy by any means at all.  Playing any position in the NFL is still a difficult task, so let's not downplay the mental aspect of the RB position as though anyone could jump in and do it if they had the same physical abilities as Adrian Peterson.  I've maintained since Trent has been here that if you aren't comfortable with the playbook, you're not going to be playing on instinct alone, which is necessary for ANY player at ANY position.  The slightest hesitations can cause an entire play to be disrupted, it doesn't matter what position you play.  For Trent, it has seemed very clear to me from the beginning that he hasn't been able to trust his reads in the back field.  His field vision was always a great attribute he had according to NFL scouts, so I trust that he will be able to make good reads while running hte ball for us in the future, but he has to be able to get it down to muscle memory so far and he doesn't quite trust himself yet.  If RBs truly are a dime a dozen, he'll get there, but in time.  Not saying he was worth a 1st round pick, but that doesnt' mean that he will forever be unproductive.   

This is somewhat misguided because you're talking about all the guys drafted in the NFL.  The average career in the NFL is much different when you're talking about higher draft picks.  For instance, in an ESPN mag, citing a 2011 study by the NFL, the average life span for ANY player drafted that makes the 53 man roster is 6.86 seasons.  If it was a first round pick, they have a career length of 9.3 years.  Players who make a pro bowl have a career length is 11.7 years.

http://prod.www.chargers.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-1/NFL-study-clarifies-average-career-length/eb9db235-47f4-487e-a4bb-9f241641b0cb

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/09/15/nfl-study-finds-686-year-average-career-for-players/

Good stuff, thanks!

He's a damn running back, it's the easiest skill position. He takes no blame for his awful play, pathetic. 

Not to disrespect you, but you must not have ever played organized football. It isn't simply "cut and run"-- there are schemes and setups for RBs to follow. Each individual lineman has a specific man to pick up in run blocking. 5 linemen up front across from maybe 3, maybe 4 defensive linemen. The o linemen then need to cut upfield and pick up a linebacker, CB, or even a safety that is cheating up. The RB needs to understand every man's blocking assignment on a given run play. A gap, B gap, C gap.... A LOT goes into running the football.

My credentials-- I was a right tackle and a defensive end in high school. It was complex in high school; I can't imagine Alabama or the NFL.

Seriously?  If he doesn't know the playbook by now he has bigger problems than a bad OL.

He did not know the playbook when he was thrust into the lineup. He has been learning plays as they apply to the gameplan. He probably wont be comfortable until preseason games next year. It usually takes a RB a year to get comfortable with a playbook. The bad OL is the biggest problem for our team as it seems Luck has been struggling because of protection problems.

Was just joking around as this forum is always lame about starting multiple threads.

Oh yeah! I saw it on my BR app before you posted in the Trent thread. Was going to post then said naaaah, they justs talk more smack about Trent. He may have moved into the lead as forum whipping boy.

Oh yeah! I saw it on my BR app before you posted in the Trent thread. Was going to post then said naaaah, they justs talk more smack about Trent. He may have moved into the lead as forum whipping boy.

Yes , if you want a 7 page thread , just say you think the TR trade will  end up to be a good deal.

The Colts are in solid charge of the AFC South, they are undefeated in the division, 6-2 in conference, & they have beaten three of the big dogs in the NFL this season...

Although the team may not be destroying teams, & the play during 1st half of games has left something to be desired, the team is doing what it needs to do...

There are plenty of teams in the league that would love to be in the position the Colts are in...

Sure the team has a long ways to go before they are playing their best football, but the team is doing what needs to be done, & as a fan that is inspiring because the team is learning how to win with injuries, come back wins, etc. & this team will only get better... 

Last season Grigson was thrown up on a pedestal for his overhaul of the team, now some people are already talking about his horrible movesand his eventual firing...

wild...

Add in the lost productivity from that 3 million.  Lot's of cheaper talent that could have performed better.  But they stick with it because of the 3 mill was already out the door.  At least it is just one black hole year.

There's no reason to cut DHB, but that doesn't preclude them from bringing someone else in. The problem is there's no one else to bring in right now. All the available free agents are entirely unattractive at this point.

well to be fair to trent..he WAS thrown right into the mix right after being traded...it may be the easiest position to learn but you also gotta learn to trust your blockers..and to get in sync with them...AND this is his third playbook he's had to learn in 1 year..i think he feels his blockers aren't gonna hold up their blocks half the time so he tries to make his own holes and it don't work...really you can't blame him... the offensive line is terrible..and for brown...it took the signing of bradshaw and the trade for trent for him to realize the team had no faith in him..and that's why he's doing good ..he's fighting to keep his spot...a desperate man is a dangerous man...if Edge James see's something in him..ima just wait til next season before i call him or the trade a bust...

imo he will show something this season behind our six man o-line

Grigson may get fired at some point but I don't think it will be because of trading for T-Rich. I believe that to make a trade of that magnitude Mr Irsay had to be on board with it. And what no one is mentioning is that Mr Irsay is the one that brought Eric Dickerson here in his brief time as the GM. So he wants that big bad running back on his team. if you swing and miss , so be it.

He has been a liability on the field when thrown at with the exception of the two bad throws by Fitzpatrick that Vaughn happened to be righ there.....There was nothing for him to read on either int, No Im not discrediting him making the int's, those were two nice catches, Im just saying there is a difference in reading the play and QB's eyes and being the beneficiary of a bad throw or two, At the end of the day credit goes to vaughn for making the picks however

Gavin I agree with most you post but not this time Vaughn is pretty good likes to hit, has some size & I think the more he plays the better he gets. Better in zone than man but I think he is playing OK. People like the throw his way more because of Davis, but honestly why the way Davis has been playing lately.

Not to disrespect you, but you must not have ever played organized football. It isn't simply "cut and run"-- there are schemes and setups for RBs to follow. Each individual lineman has a specific man to pick up in run blocking. 5 linemen up front across from maybe 3, maybe 4 defensive linemen. The o linemen then need to cut upfield and pick up a linebacker, CB, or even a safety that is cheating up. The RB needs to understand every man's blocking assignment on a given run play. A gap, B gap, C gap.... A LOT goes into running the football.

My credentials-- I was a right tackle and a defensive end in high school. It was complex in high school; I can't imagine Alabama or the NFL.

I'm not saying it's easy. I said it's easier than WR, TE, or QB. 

:groan:

It's his SECOND year!

950 yards rushing & 11 rush touchdowns last year

Why do you insist on contributing to the downfall of the society?

This!

Not to mention, it's his third offense in that time frame. He is behind a terrible o-line. DB didn't really look all that great until the last drive on Sunday. I've liked DB since we drafted him, but he does have some advantages. Give TR time guys. It'll come.

Absolutely love this guy even more & happy he's on my favorite team! None other than....... Trent Richardson! :clap:

Didn't wanna post this in the pinned thread or the recent one due to all the negativity in it I thought it would get overlooked. But this deserves it's own thread imo

@CraigKColts: T Rich: It's fair for Donald to be starter, especially with production he's putting up. He's playing good ball.

@CraigKColts: T Rich: (Brown) deserves every bit the starting position. I'll still get my reps. It's a place in life to learn. It's humbling.

@KBowenColts: Trent Richardson said he's feeling the best he's felt since arriving in mid-Sept. Has been a bit banged up lately. Trent on not starting...

@KBowenColts: Trent: "It humbling...(still) there’s going to be a lot of opportunities to make plays just as Donald's role when he wasn’t a starter."

@HolderStephen: After a talk with Trent Richardson today, I will say his head is def in the right place. Has great perspective on his situation

@HolderStephen: He didn't say he was overwhelmed by the trade and expectations in Indy, but I think he admits it was a big load for him. He's exhaling now

Okay, read the tweets by TWO. The first 2 go together, 2nd two, then the final 2.

First writer is Craig Kelley, 2nd our very own Kevin Bowen here on the forum, & final is Stephen (not the Stephen from this forum :P )

This!

Not to mention, it's his third offense in that time frame. He is behind a terrible o-line. DB didn't really look all that great until the last drive on Sunday. I've liked DB since we drafted him, but he does have some advantages. Give TR time guys. It'll come.

I just made a new thread ( a positive one) about Trent Richardson.

4 years for Brown to get where he is showing 1st round worthiness. Same four years forum is down on him til now. Three months and TR is getting same treatment that DB.

Welcome to Indy's Fanbase Trent.

Not sure where this started that it took DB 4 yrs to find himself. He averaged 3.6 ypc the first 11 games. Then he found himself, averaging 3.9 his 2nd season and 10.3 per catch (huge for RBs). Then 4.8 his 3rd year. Heck, I would take Trent getting 3.6 ypc now (which was DB's worst year). And yes, DB had bad run blocking lines for the  majority of his career here.

Absolutely love this guy even more & happy he's on my favorite team! None other than....... Trent Richardson! :clap:

Didn't wanna post this is the pinned thread or the recent one due to all the negativity in it I thought it would get overlooked. But this deserves it's own thread imo

@CraigKColts: T Rich: It's fair for Donald to be starter, especially with production he's putting up. He's playing good ball.

@CraigKColts: T Rich: (Brown) deserves every bit the starting position. I'll still get my reps. It's a place in life to learn. It's humbling.

@KBowenColts: Trent Richardson said he's feeling the best he's felt since arriving in mid-Sept. Has been a bit banged up lately. Trent on not starting...

@KBowenColts: Trent: "It humbling...(still) there’s going to be a lot of opportunities to make plays just as Donald's role when he wasn’t a starter."

@HolderStephen: After a talk with Trent Richardson today, I will say his head is def in the right place. Has great perspective on his situation

@HolderStephen: He didn't say he was overwhelmed by the trade and expectations in Indy, but I think he admits it was a big load for him. He's exhaling now

Okay, read the tweets by TWO. The first 2 go together, 2nd two, then the final 2.

First writer is Craig Kelley, 2nd our very own Kevin Bowen here on the forum, & final is Stephen (not the Stephen from this forum :P )

That is great to hear. As much as a fan I am disappointed with him I try to remember he was ripped out of his life in Cleveland with no warning and was starting for us within days. Say what you will about the guy but that is a lot of pressure for such a young player. Good to see that he's a team player and I think him not starting will get him more comfortable on the Colts.

Didn't wanna post this is the pinned thread or the recent one due to all the negativity in it I thought it would get overlooked. But this deserves it's own thread imo

Good stuff TK.  His day will come.

trent will be our marshawn watch. people forget beast mode wasnt beast mode out of the gates with the seahawks. im sure there were seahawk fans who hated that trade back in 2010, now half the stadium is wearing 24 jerseys. give him time. as fans you guys expect way too much way too soon.

trent will be our marshawn watch. people forget beast mode wasnt beast mode out of the gates with the seahawks. im sure there were seahawk fans who hated that trade back in 2010, now half the stadium is wearing 24 jerseys. give him time. as fans you guys expect way too much way too soon.

I think the earthquake run vs the Saints sealed Lynch in Seahawks fans hearts haha

Outstanding. Thanks, TK. I was and still am very excited about him being a Colt. Pagano and Grigson look for Colt "type" players, which extend beyond simply their abilities on the field. This just verifies that for me. 

What is the intent? The intent by this front office is to make the very best decisions that raise the quality of the product we see. I applaud their intent, and I back their decisions, even the wrongs ones, because I know they are doing every last thing they can to succeed. IMO, to think they use ego to make decisions and ignore the "visual" facts is absurd. They are operating at the top of their game, the last stop in their coaching experience. In my life, I grade by intent, Sure...enough bad decisions will cost a coach, GM, or player their opportunity, but opinionated fans who are often lacking the total information into any disappointing performance, decision or outcome, make emotional judgments that contain little more than attitude. 

Hang in there Trent, there are fans who believe in you just as much as the day you were traded for.

werd...

& to think I already have my Richardson jersey, just hope it doesn't end up in my jersey graveyard next to my zibs jersey... 

People always bring up 950 yards and 10 TD's. Here is some perspective on that stat. 

Cleveland featured him at the goal line. Look at all of his touchdown runs last year, pretty sure only 2 were from further out than 5 yards. It took him 267 carries to get to 950 yards.