Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Tuck Says Brady Toughest QB In League

JerodMayo51

Yeah, so when the stakes were high in the postseason, Brady put 14 and 17 pts vs them (heck they even limited him to 20 pts in Foxboro in 2011 thus beating him in Foxboro and the SB, hard to do). They did get to him and the offense by disrupting lanes, tipping balls, and pressures (with one even resulting in a critical safety at beginning of SB 46) even if it does not show up in sack statistics.

Now, I am ready for excuses (I know you can't resist :))...(or an admission that the Giants' DL own Brady and his OL  ;)).

Still, doesn't change the main topic, Brady is just as tough as any other elite QB. :)

You won't get much of an argument from me. I have mad respect for those Giants teams and their D. They were the best defensive front in football those years. Tuck's comments are the highest compliment to Tom IMO.

Another team that has gotten to Brady over the years has been Miami kind of like San Diego for Manning. Back in the day Miami could get pressure with just four rushers and drop the rest into coverage. They were always a tough front for him and the Oline.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone is saying he's not tough. You can't play QB in the NFL and not be. Well, you can...you'll just be on the sidelines most of the time.

Even with his annual fortress of an O-line he still takes plenty of hits. 2013 is probably the worst line he's had due to the injuries. It's mediocre at worst as he occasionally still gets all day to throw, as opposed to usually. (Had one VS the Texans where the announcers said he threw the ball out of boredom.) Gotta credit the coaching staff for that line - it almost always comes to play regardless of who suits up.

Back to Brady yes he's tough. The toughest I think is a bit of a stretch.

This thread has a very "my favorite backstreet boy is the dreamiest" feel about it.

Given the current state of the league, tough and quarterback shouldn't be in the same sentence.

I agree 100%. Go back and look at qbs when they were getting picked up and dropped on their head and talk to me about "TOUGH" QBs....this counts for Peyton too. Playing through injuries is one thing...sure both Tom and Peyton are tough.....but TOUGH football players they are not. I would probably say Phillip Rivers is probably the "toughest" right now....playing through a torn ACL or whatever it was in the playoffs several years back was pretty gutty....but really...tough and modern day qb don't belong in the same sentence. We all have seen Tom's hand this year and Peyton play with two messed up ankles but neither take the damage say we see in those 80s and earlier qbs....I just remember Joe Montana playing against the Eagles and getting sacked like 6 times and knocked all over the field and being down 20 some points and then leading them back in the 4th quarter with like 3 or 4 td throws and winning the game.....thats tough! Too many other qbs to count....today's protected qbs face nothing like years past....Drew Brees sack earlier this year vs 49ers case in point.

I agree 100%. Go back and look at qbs when they were getting picked up and dropped on their head and talk to me about "TOUGH" QBs....this counts for Peyton too. Playing through injuries is one thing...sure both Tom and Peyton are tough.....but TOUGH football players they are not. I would probably say Phillip Rivers is probably the "toughest" right now....playing through a torn ACL or whatever it was in the playoffs several years back was pretty gutty....but really...tough and modern day qb don't belong in the same sentence. We all have seen Tom's hand this year and Peyton play with two messed up ankles but neither take the damage say we see in those 80s and earlier qbs....I just remember Joe Montana playing against the Eagles and getting sacked like 6 times and knocked all over the field and being down 20 some points and then leading them back in the 4th quarter with like 3 or 4 td throws and winning the game.....thats tough! Too many other qbs to count....today's protected qbs face nothing like years past....Drew Brees sack earlier this year vs 49ers case in point.

By the same token though those QBs of eras past did not face today's freakish athletes either that weigh 300+ pounds and can run like a gazelle and hit like a truck.

As much as I think of Rivers as a clown/immature child, I agree he's probably one of if not the toughest QB in the game today

Compared to QB's of yesteryear these guys are all sissies.

By the same token though those QBs of eras past did not face today's freakish athletes either that weigh 300+ pounds and can run like a gazelle and hit like a truck.

Sure they can. However they won't because it will involve a 15 yard penalty, several thousand dollar fine, dirty looks and finger waving.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/NFL-Notebook-Broken-jaw-won-t-stop-Manning-1071572.php

I agree 100%. Go back and look at qbs when they were getdonepicked up and dropped on their head and talk to me about "TOUGH" QBs....this counts for Peyton too. Playing through injuries is one thing...sure both Tom and Peyton are tough.....but TOUGH football players they are not. I would probably say Phillip Rivers is probably the "toughest" right now....playing through a torn ACL or whatever it was in the playoffs several years back was pretty gutty....but really...tough and modern day qb don't belong in the same sentence. We all have seen Tom's hand this year and Peyton play with two messed up ankles but neither take the damage say we see in those 80s and earlier qbs....I just remember Joe Montana playing against the Eagles and getting sacked like 6 times and knocked all over the field and being down 20 some points and then leading them back in the 4th quarter with like 3 or 4 td throws and winning the game.....thats tough! Too many other qbs to count....today's protected qbs face nothing like years past....Drew Brees sack earlier this year vs 49ers case in point.

Dirty shots by today's standard was just the way the game was played. Current guys just don't have to deal with that.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say Peyton's broken jaw and only missing a play is tougher than anything that sissy Brady has ever done. For the spirit of the thread.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/NFL-Notebook-Broken-jaw-won-t-stop-Manning-1071572.php

Dirty shots by today's standard was just the way the game was played. Current guys just don't have to deal with that.

I'm just gonna go ahead and say Peyton's broken jaw and only missing a play is tougher than anything that sissy Brady has ever done. For the spirit of the thread.

My man

Why does everyone always hate on Tom? Lol. I mean I understand to an extent with the Brady & Manning rivalry, but come on...give credit where credit is due. Brady is one tough hombre, and one of the all time greats.

Cuz this is a Colts site.

Once again, amazing!

Rodney Harrison makes a statement that indicates that he thinks Peyton is as good as Brady and he is attacked by some Patriot fans.

Justin Tuck praises Brady and he becomes a premier defensive player and his words are a cool read to Patriot fans.

I think that Brady is a very tough QB who took a licking and kept on competing.

But, I can't agree that he is the toughest.

I saw Peyton return after missing only play with a fractured jaw.

I saw Romo play with a punctured lung and a fractured rib.

I saw Brett Favre being brutalized by the Saints, yet he played until the very end. 

And, there are probably more examples that could be given of a QB remaining tough in adverse conditions.  To rank any of them above another is ridiculous to me.

Nice post shecolt. Rating QB toughness is an exercise in futility. What's next? Who the most handsome QB is? LOL!

I always respected Titans & Ravens QB Steve McNair though who took a beating almost every week in Tennessee, was rarely on the IR list, & I was rooting for him to win that SB against the Rams in 1999 too. 

Don't forget the Washington Redskins High-Low pretzel hit that bent him backwards and led to his neck injury.

There was no flag on the play.

He didn't whine to the refs or jump around like a ballerina.

He missed zero plays.

He proceeded to lead the offense in beating the absolute tar out of the Redskins. The score was 7-7 when it happened.

Final score Colts: 36  Redskins: 22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBxHse5s74

That is good, but this one is just as memorable for toughness to me.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury

This thought to be the cause for Peyton to eventually endure 4 neck surgeris asnd miss a whole season.  Peyton is one tough dude.

***EDIT_ ditto above post which wasn't there as I was making mine!

If anything, it's not so much the physical toughness of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Eli Manning, & Aaron Rodgers that I respect it's more that intellectual ability to adapt, understand what the defense is doing to shut their team down, & still managing to score TDs late in any game. 

As far as Justin Tuck goes, he is 1 of my favorite pass rushers to watch & he knows how radio hosts covering the NFL work. They kiss their guest's butt, talk about their established captain/veteran status in this league, throw them a few softball questions, & then they hit you with the controversial question to create waves. The only question is does the guest side step the question or answer it directly or candidly? 

Tuck with 2 SB rings under his belt can do or say whatever the hades he wants. I just have a problem singling out 1 lone QB name. What like 31 other QBs are timid kittens or delicate little flowers?  :lol: It's the main reason why I liked shecolt's post actually. To even play in the NFL, all QBs have to be physically & psychologically tough already do they not? JMO. 

I have no problem praising Brady; just spread the toughness love around to other worthy field generals as well. No individual QB has cornered the NFL market on toughness. It's not a single monopoly name that is universally accepted leaps & bounds above all else to me.

I do have my favorite one though [#18] which takes nothing away from Tom Brady or any other elite QB. 

Like I said Brady is tough for sure. However saying he's the toughest is nothing short of homerism or ignorance. There are 10+ other QBs who do their job and complain a lot less. All the while enduring just as much if not more physical pain and calls against them by zebras. All this while not being afforded the luxury of Fort Knox pass blocking most of the time.

Eh. Nothing wrong with liking/trying to make a case for your favorite QB.

True but AM goes WAY overboard

Personally, I have no problem with input from fans outside INDY. I agree 100% MOW. amfootball is just an enthusiastic supporter of Brady that's all CF12. Just like I am of Peyton Manning & Andrew Luck. 

Hearing other viewpoints outside 1's comfort zone avoids an isolated, exclusive bubble mentality of identical thinking. Plus, at the end of the day, you can still tell anyone you want that their perspective is severely flawed anyway if you still want to politely of course. It took me a 24 hour suspension to learn that valuable lesson BTW.  haha

Brady is tough as I believe he has the 3rd longest streak of consecutive games played ever in the NFL only behind Favre and Manning as Brady's streak ended when Pollard blew out his knee in '08.

At the time he was 4th behind Manning, Favre, and Jaworski. Since then Eli and Rivers passed him.

But this doesn't surprise me. If you didn't think he was tough then I guess you don't watch football. There are few players you can't call tough.

People who dislike Brady are like those Nascar fans for years who hated Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson and loved Dale Earnhardt and Dale Jr for their rugged outer appearance but when look at their lifestyles off the field they all live in the same ultra exclusive high end gated communities in mansions with their own chefs and maids where their wives and girlfriends don't do anything....well at least Giselle was already a world famous multimillionaire before she met Brady and she actually pays lots in taxes and isn't like the gold digger in the Will Ferrell movie Talladega Nights like so many wives of athletes are.  Giselle pays more in taxes than most the gold digging do nothing wives of most NFL players do combined and contributes more to the economy.

Some fans are so insecure with themselves and their status in society they want to think or call good looking men: "gay" or "fa%^" if that athlete is not an over weight beer drinker because you can't relate to them.  It's like some moronic fans look at golfer John Daly as more tougher than Tiger Woods.  lol

Brady haters tend to like these types of athletes...

JohnDaly_scratched.jpg

If you're someone who dislikes Brady and Derek Jeter you seriously need to get off the internet and seek psychological help and get a life and stop being so jealous.  Fans need to stop thinking and stop wanting athletes to have to come down to your level and sit in a bar with you and drink and shoot the shi% with you and have a pity party.

People who dislike Brady are like those Nascar fans for years who hated Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson and loved Dale Earnhardt and Dale Jr for their rugged outer appearance but when look at their lifestyles off the field they all live in the same ultra exclusive high end gated communities in mansions with their own chefs and maids where their wives and girlfriends don't do anything....well at least Giselle was already a world famous multimillionaire before she met Brady and she actually pays lots in taxes and isn't like the gold digger in the Will Ferrell movie Talladega Nights like so many wives of athletes are. Giselle pays more in taxes than most the gold digging do nothing wives of most NFL players do combined and contributes more to the economy.

Some fans are so insecure with themselves and their status in society they want to think or call good looking men: "gay" or "fa%^" if that athlete is not an over weight beer drinker because you can't relate to them. It's like some moronic fans look at golfer John Daly as more tougher than Tiger Woods. lol

Brady haters tend to like these types of athletes...

JohnDaly_scratched.jpg

If you're someone who dislikes Brady and Derek Jeter you seriously need to get off the internet and seek psychological help and get a life and stop being so jealous. Fans need to stop thinking and stop wanting athletes to have to come down to your level and sit in a bar with you and drink and shoot the shi% with you and have a pity party.

Boy you sure are a genius haha

I also love Jeff Gordon and still think Brady is a little sissy beach

Yet he's tougher than you and Peyton and doesn't publicly throw his team mates under the bus.  Plus he knows how to use a can opener, something Peyton didn't know how to do till he was in his 20's.  :td:

"He didn't know what a can opener looked like,"

Yet he's tougher than you and Peyton and doesn't publicly throw his team mates under the bus. Plus he knows how to use a can opener, something Peyton didn't know how to do till he was in his 20's. :td:

"He didn't know what a can opener looked like,"

Just wat the forum needs more pats trolls like their weren't enough already

You're the first person on here to call a QB a "sissy beach" as no Brady fan called Peyton that.  Most Pats fans and people in general respect Peyton and know he's tough as I do too.  Problem is Pats haters don't give Brady enough credit and respect due to his image.  NFL players who actually play Brady on the field know he's tough.  Brady haters are the most immature.

You're the first person on here to call a QB a "sissy beach" as no Brady fan called Peyton that. Most Pats fans and people in general respect Peyton and know he's tough as I do too. Problem is Pats haters don't give Brady enough credit and respect due to his image. NFL players who actually play Brady on the field know he's tough. Brady haters are the most immature.

Why would anyone call Peyton that he don't cry and wine and prance around in ugg boots Peyton don't have a rule of his own for being a pansy

You're the first person on here to call a QB a "sissy beach" as no Brady fan called Peyton that. Most Pats fans and people in general respect Peyton and know he's tough as I do too. Problem is Pats haters don't give Brady enough credit and respect due to his image. NFL players who actually play Brady on the field know he's tough. Brady haters are the most immature.

I wouldn't have said anything had you not been trolling a colts forum talk about immature

Why would anyone call Peyton that he don't cry and wine and prance around in ugg boots Peyton don't have a rule of his own for being a pansy

You still continue to talk like an 8 year old who can't articulate himself intellectually like an adult.  lol  What boots or shoes someone wears determines one's toughness?  lol  Joe Namath wore a Liz Taylor fur coat on the side lines.  He also was a sex symbol who banged lots of beautiful women.  lol  Again, like I posted you are easily manipulated and persuaded by clever marketing as you judge one's toughness by their looks and appearance hence the "Marlboro Man" marketing campaign as to why people buy Marlboro cigarettes.

So what boots or shoes does someone need to wear to be considered "tough" ?  I bet you probably think one needs to wear Wolverine work boots to be considered "tough".  lol 

47514_12629-steel-toe-waterproof-insulat

If Brady and Jeter weren't famous and didn't have much money they still could walk into any club and leave with hot women.

PeytonManning.jpg

watch-peyton-manning-just-broke-down-cry

Me personally, I'd rather wear Uggs boots and bang hot women even if lower class mid western knuckle dragging hicks think I'm gay due to their insecurity and homophobia as they need to have 10 guns in their home because their think the government and Muslims are coming after them.   :thmup:

tombrady_kevin_16762866_max.jpg

Like I said Brady is tough for sure. However saying he's the toughest is nothing short of homerism or ignorance. There are 10+ other QBs who do their job and complain a lot less. All the while enduring just as much if not more physical pain and calls against them by zebras. All this while not being afforded the luxury of Fort Knox pass blocking most of the time.

Tuck called him the toughest and said Strahan felt the same way. That's it. It wasn't a poll or something just an interview and a player answering a question.

Tuck called him the toughest and said Strahan felt the same way. That's it. It wasn't a poll or something just an interview and a player answering a question.

The same way Rodney said Peyton would have won more SB, just an interview and a player answering a question. That's it.

Do I think Brady is the toughest QB of all time?  No.  Do I think he's the toughest QB in the game today?  No.  I never said nor believed he is or was.  He is tough just like Peyton is.

The toughest QB's I would say are the ones who played decades ago when they didn't wear helmets or the only thing on their heads was leather padding.