Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No DB Love?

ColtsLegacy

You could make that statement for many RB's, WR's in the NFL.   You don't just dismiss there big play or there big drive.  Running backs inflate there numbers all the time with long runs. WR's can have average days and then catch an 80 yard pass and have a great day.

I wouldn't call Brown producing huge runs on a game winning drive as "inflating" though.  But thats just me.   Now Richardson's 13 yard run on a 3rd and 20 draw play, thats a classic example of inflating numbers.

exactly right, but it doesn't matter to the tr fan club members. they disregard anything good any other back has done this year, and find any kind of excuse for tr. as his resume keeps building up, it gets more and more pathetic.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, actually the defense stacks 7 guys in the box because they know our OC will not throw the ball when Trent is in.

Myth & Richardson excuse 517 ... He has run the ball plenty of times when the box was not stacked.  And if we never throw the ball when he is in how is he supposedly the vastly superior pass blocker??  Can't have both.

I have to agree.  It some holes I saw DB running through and I said to myself "How the **** did he get through that!?"  or "No way Trent gets through that hole."

It was one play where the hole was so small but DB was able to slide through.  Literally, the hole was filled with arms of defenders that were being blocked.  But he was so small he just lowered his head and shifted through.  Big T-Rich would have been snagged up by those arms.

Their size difference is not that great ... and the slight increase in size and strength should allow Richardson to break tackles running through those holes that would stop Brown ... thus evening the playing field.

We've got a fanboy in this thread, ya'll. Facts and actual production do not matter to the fanboy.

I absolutely loved TR in college but if you can't say that DB is out playing him at this point then you are either a TR fanboy and/or a DB hater. That's all there is to it.

right on the money.

Their size difference is not that great ... and the slight increase in size and strength should allow Richardson to break tackles running through those holes that would stop Brown ... thus evening the playing field.

i can't wait for the excuse to this reasoning.

It actually does, especially in the hole where you're just getting to your max momentum.  I'll take Dungy's word for it.  He also said Trent's size has something to do with him not getting through the smaller holes.

Myth & Richardson excuse 517 ... He has run the ball plenty of times when the box was not stacked.  And if we never throw the ball when he is in how is he supposedly the vastly superior pass blocker??  Can't have both.

Sorry for not being specific but:

1. "He has run the ball plenty of times when the box was not stacked."  This is true, but I think using the word "plenty" is over-exaggerating it.   And even if the box isn't stacked the defense still attacks as if it is a running play, and most of the time they are right.

2. "And if we never throw the ball when he is in how is he supposedly the vastly superior pass blocker??  Can't have both."  Once again, I should have been specific.  I was being sarcastic.  What I meant by never is that most of the time when Trent is in, he's running.  The OC has gotten better with mixing it up, but before you pretty much knew we were running when Trent hit the field.

Please make note that I do believe that DB is playing better than T-Rich at the moment.

Wouldn't say that evens it out. Like I mentioned previously DB's quickness is what gives him the edge given our Lines ability to sustain their blocks. I am not knocking DB at all tho

It actually does, especially in the hole where you're just getting to your max momentum.  I'll take Dungy's word for it.  He also said Trent's size has something to do with him not getting through the smaller holes.

Wouldn't say that evens it out. Like I mentioned previously DB's quickness is what gives him the edge given our Lines ability to sustain their blocks. I am not knocking DB at all tho

I am not buying it ... Its not like the reason Richardson is getting stuffed because the hole always closes while hes in it or he gets stuck in the hole then tackled ... he's not even hitting the holes a majority of the time, because he has either thought about it too long or has failed to take an alternate route/hole when the one the play was designed to go through is not there.

The few times he does find the hole and hits it hard/fast he usually gets a few yards, but those instances are few and far between ... to me it looks like more of a lack of vision & burst or the ability to improvise on the fly rather than an inability to fit through the holes.

Trusts his blocking more to I think overall and is a bit slower to the hole and more of a burst through the hole

I hope this is sarcasm

Nope not at all.  I have never thought brown to be a great starting, every down type of back.  As you have seen.  When he is a change of pace, he gets like 6.1 ypc.  When he is starting, he gets 3.9 or less.  And when ballard gets back next year, he will once again be resigned (not re-signed) to being a 2nd/3rd string back. 

Nope not at all.  I have never thought brown to be a great starting, every down type of back.  As you have seen.  When he is a change of pace, he gets like 6.1 ypc.  When he is starting, he gets 3.9 or less.  And when ballard gets back next year, he will once again be resigned (not re-signed) to being a 2nd/3rd string back. 

I agree he will and that Brown is better as a change of pace back but to dismiss his 3.9 ypc today is not the way to go about saying it....Ray Rice would have killed for a 3.9 ypc today, Now maybe he is running hard for that new contract...But maybe its just because he has actually been able to stay healthy but without Brown we would not have a running game this year after the injuries to our rb's

I agree he will and that Brown is better as a change of pace back but to dismiss his 3.9 ypc today is not the way to go about saying it....Ray Rice would have killed for a 3.9 ypc today, Now maybe he is running hard for that new contract...But maybe its just because he has actually been able to stay healthy but without Brown we would not have a running game this year after the injuries to our rb's

Im not saying he didnt save us quite a few times or that he is playing poorly.  But look at it this way.

When last we played Tennessee TRich was starting.  In that game DB had a 5.7 ypc and two TDs.  We scored more points and we scored 3 times as many TDs (3 - 1) 

Fast forward to now.  DB is starting. We scored less points, less TDs, and DB had 3.9 ypc with the exact same amount of attempts.  The defense saved the game as we could not finish drives. 

From that viewpoint, DB serves as more value NOT being the starter.

Im not saying he didnt save us quite a few times or that he is playing poorly.  But look at it this way.

When last we played Tennessee TRich was starting.  In that game DB had a 5.7 ypc and two TDs.  We scored more points and we scored 3 times as many TDs (3 - 1) 

Fast forward to now.  DB is starting. We scored less points, less TDs, and DB had 3.9 ypc with the exact same amount of attempts.  The defense saved the game as we could not finish drives. 

Richardson also only got 8 carries that game, We put the ball in the air 36 times to. 3.9 while not great is still not bad, I think anything under that is though

My goodness, you've really cracked this wide open. I'm sold. 

53.1 percent passing completion 0 td's and and 1 int can be summoned up in alot of words...none of which are positive......Of the 97 yards gained on that drive Brown accounted for 46 of them

The ypc is making fun of you and others who think that is the only stat that matters, so,I mentioned Luck had the best. Which he did.

Quit mixing your stats to prove your point. We are only talking about the last drive. Everybody on offense was awful the rest of the game, except Vinateri.

The ypc is making fun of you and others who think that is the only stat that matters, so,I mentioned Luck had the best. Which he did.

Quit mixing your stats to prove your point. We are only talking about the last drive. Everybody on offense was awful the rest of the game, except Vinateri.

Not sure where I said anything about ypc in the post you quoted, But Im sure you do need to lose the attitude. As for the rest of the junk you just spewed out.........Go look at the play by play of that last drive and get back to me(Brown 6 runs on that final scoring drive for 46 yards)........you will find the same "mixed stats" on that last drive as I said......Not to you by the way.....you should really think a bit more before you post

Lol at Donald Brown fans breathing a sigh of relief on that last drive. Almost had to take the week off from hating on Richardson.

It's pretty clear why Brown should get more carries going forward. He's gonna struggle down by down every bit as much as trich, but at least he's got the speed to turn that little seam into a big play now and again. I see lots of 1 yard carries in his future, but also an occasional big play. Glad he's on the roster, speed is a skill you can't really teach on this level. I really hope we upgrade the line next year.

I don't understand all the childlike behaviour on this subject, nor do I understand how saying Donald Brown had a good game is somehow saying Trich stinks.

I am very glad this year, like most that Donald is on this team, after looking at all the horrible running back play around the league a Donald Brown is a good thing to have.

I don't understand all the childlike behaviour on this subject, nor do I understand how saying Donald Brown had a good game is somehow saying Trich stinks.

I am very glad this year, like most that Donald is on this team, after looking at all the horrible running back play around the league a Donald Brown is a good thing to have.

exactly!!

i don't think anyone that is saying brown is playing well thinks he is a great rb, he is just doing good when asked for the most part. people on the richardson side don't have a bit of stats to make their case, except his ncaa stats, so they try to make it about brown.

the problem people have is giving up the #1 pick, not richardson. if the colts gave up a 3rd or later pick, there wouldn't be this dispute. it's about defending their position on the trade, not the players.

The same argument that are making against Richardson is the same argument that was being made about Brown for Years.

You cannot fault the player for where a GM picked him or what they traded for him.

true, but the difference for me is the colts had over a year of nfl tape on richardson being very average. taking a player in the draft is a crap-shoot, you can win big or lose. i would absolutely rather take the draft chance than richardson. brown's problems have been mostly injuries. brown has been productive in the past. i can remember posters complaining about why he isn't starting a couple years ago.

like i said, it's not about the player. it's the trade.

Look at it from the bright side guys....

once we upgrade our oline this off season, we will have a great 1 2 punch with Richardson and Brown.  If Bradshaw is back next year, we will have one heck of a 3 headed monster.  They are all 3 very different style runners and will compliment each other very nicely.

Look at it from the bright side guys....

once we upgrade our oline this off season, we will have a great 1 2 punch with Richardson and Brown. If Bradshaw is back next year, we will have one heck of a 3 headed monster. They are all 3 very different style runners and will compliment each other very nicely.

dont see brown or Bradshaw back next year

dont see brown or Bradshaw back next year

Me either. While Brown has been doing his job well this year, he's replaceable. With Ballard and Richardson on the roster, he'd be our third back again. He can probably find a team that would be willing to put him in a 1-2 rotation, rather than waiting for an injury. And we can find a back as good as he is in a number of ways. I wouldn't mind keeping him on a minimum deal, but I figure he goes off to explore other opportunities.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Me either. While Brown has been doing his job well this year, he's replaceable. With Ballard and Richardson on the roster, he'd be our third back again. He can probably find a team that would be willing to put him in a 1-2 rotation, rather than waiting for an injury. And we can find a back as good as he is in a number of ways. I wouldn't mind keeping him on a minimum deal, but I figure he goes off to explore other opportunities.

It would be great if Rainey got into the offense at some point.  He could be a solid contributer as the 3rd RB next year.

When DB shifts the ball from 1 side to the other I know he`s about to hit high gear, that's textbook running and he`s good at it. DB has been hitting the holes without hesitation moreso this year and its showing.

which is what trich isn't doing.

Ballard is coming off an injury so he is a ?, Richardson hasn't shown much so he is a ?, we fill the RB through the draft (which is also another ?).  That leaves bringing in a FA RB, and if we are going to do that why not just give DB the contract; he already knows the offense (unless we fire pep) and Its not likely he is going to get a big contract.  If he builds off this year he could possibly beat out ballard or richardson to be one part of the main 2 back rotation.