Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Guess We Know What Dungy Would Do If He Was Still Here./dungy's Crazy Idea (Merge)

Something else I'm going to throw out there, just for consideration....I believe it was in the Washington State game the announcers were talking about how great Andrew Luck is off of play action. They said that the coaches analyzed every pass and said his completion percentage off of play action was something like 97%. That's great don't get me wrong...however, if he's throwing 97% off of play action then A) how low does that make his Completion % on straight drop backs in order for his season average to be 73% and B ) how well is he going to perform if he doesn't play for a team who averages 200+ yards per game rushing which is what sets up the play action to be as effective as it is?

Edited by Jason

Something else I'm going to throw out there, just for consideration....I believe it was in the Washington State game the announcers were talking about how great Andrew Luck is off of play action. They said that the coaches analyzed every pass and said his completion percentage off of play action was something like 97%. That's great don't get me wrong...however, if he's throwing 97% off of play action then A) how low does that make his Completion % on straight drop backs in order for his season average to be 73% and B ) how well is he going to perform if he doesn't play for a team who averages 200+ yards per game rushing which is what sets up the play action to be as effective as it is?

It just shows that he is overhyped. He has one of the best O-lines in the nation. The are great at running the ball and pass blocking. Almost any quarterback will play good when he has a great supporting cast. I mean what makes Luck so special? He doesn't have an incredibly strong arm, he isn't the most accurate passer, he isn't the most elusive quarterback, and other things as well. My guess is that he has good footwork and fundamentals and knows what to do mentally as a quarterback. He's just very NFL ready.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

It just shows that he is overhyped. He has one of the best O-lines in the nation. The are great at running the ball and pass blocking. Almost any quarterback will play good when he has a great supporting cast. I mean what makes Luck so special? He doesn't have an incredibly strong arm, he isn't the most accurate passer, he isn't the most elusive quarterback, and other things as well. My guess is that he has good footwork and fundamentals and knows what to do mentally as a quarterback. He's just very NFL ready.

I live in California and get to watch a lot of Andrew Luck's games. I agree that he is overhyped, mainly in that he is a college quarterback and he's projected to be a star NFL quarteback without even taking a snap in the NFL. But, his abilities are not overhyped. He is very talented.

Using your argument, we can ask, what makes Peyton Manning so special? He isn't the most elusive, doesn't have the strongest arm or is the most accurate. My answer would be that Peyton Manning has a strong arm, just not the strongest, but strong enough to make every throw necessary in the NFL, as does Andrew Luck. You don't have to have a rocket for an arm. Peyton Manning may not be the MOST accurate passer, but he is very accurate, much like andrew Luck. Peyton Manning is not that elusive, but has great pocket awareness. Andrew Luck is actually very atheletic and has been compared to Aaron Rogers in this regard. Now what makes Peyton Manning very special is his understanding of the game, his fundamentals, and his preparation. Andrew Luck has demonstrated his understanding of the game by calling plays during the game, like Peyton does. He is known as a gym rat, much like Peyton and his preparation is eveident on the field.

Now lets be clear, I am in no way saying that Andrew Luck is as good as Peyton Manning. What I am saying is that there are similarities, and I am just pointing out those similarities. Why wouldn't you want Luck to play for your team? He is the most like Peyton Manning of any quarterback to come out in recent years?

I live in California and get to watch a lot of Andrew Luck's games. I agree that he is overhyped, mainly in that he is a college quarterback and he's projected to be a star NFL quarteback without even taking a snap in the NFL. But, his abilities are not overhyped. He is very talented.

Using your argument, we can ask, what makes Peyton Manning so special? He isn't the most elusive, doesn't have the strongest arm or is the most accurate. My answer would be that Peyton Manning has a strong arm, just not the strongest, but strong enough to make every throw necessary in the NFL, as does Andrew Luck. You don't have to have a rocket for an arm. Peyton Manning may not be the MOST accurate passer, but he is very accurate, much like andrew Luck. Peyton Manning is not that elusive, but has great pocket awareness. Andrew Luck is actually very atheletic and has been compared to Aaron Rogers in this regard. Now what makes Peyton Manning very special is his understanding of the game, his fundamentals, and his preparation. Andrew Luck has demonstrated his understanding of the game by calling plays during the game, like Peyton does. He is known as a gym rat, much like Peyton and his preparation is eveident on the field.

Now lets be clear, I am in no way saying that Andrew Luck is as good as Peyton Manning. What I am saying is that there are similarities, and I am just pointing out those similarities. Why wouldn't you want Luck to play for your team? He is the most like Peyton Manning of any quarterback to come out in recent years?

Peyton Manning is the most accurate QB in the NFL.

And I wouldn't call Aaron Rodgers athletic.

He is talented and all, but what makes him special is that he is very NFL ready.

Peyton Manning is the most accurate QB in the NFL.

And I wouldn't call Aaron Rodgers athletic.

He is talented and all, but what makes him special is that he is very NFL ready.

Peyton Manning is my favorite quarterback, but unfortunately he's not the most accurate. It's been Drew Brees for the past few years. The only way to tell is based off of yearly completion percentages, and before Drew Brees, it was Warner and Pennington.

I'm sure that many defensive coordinators would disagree wih you on how atheletic Aaron Rodgers is. He's no Mike Vick, but is a threat to run out of the pocket.

What's wrong with being NFL ready? Shouldn't we want that? Doesn't that mean he's a good prospect? Given a choice to choose from NFL ready and "great upside" I'd choose NFL ready.

Peyton Manning is my favorite quarterback, but unfortunately he's not the most accurate. It's been Drew Brees for the past few years. The only way to tell is based off of yearly completion percentages, and before Drew Brees, it was Warner and Pennington.

I'm sure that many defensive coordinators would disagree wih you on how atheletic Aaron Rodgers is. He's no Mike Vick, but is a threat to run out of the pocket.

What's wrong with being NFL ready? Shouldn't we want that? Doesn't that mean he's a good prospect? Given a choice to choose from NFL ready and "great upside" I'd choose NFL ready.

Completion percentage is defintely not the only factor in defining a quarterback's accuracry. You have to consider yards per attempt, yards per catch, yards after the catch, and many other things as well.

Many quarterbacks are a threat to run the ball, Peyton even sometimes does it.

I'm just saying that Andrew Luck's greatest asset, being NFL ready, isn't really helpful to the colts if Peyton Manning is healthy.