Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Larry Coyer

Ramblinwreck7

It seems to me that most people want to get rid of Larry Coyer after this season is over. Our defense has been decent this year, partly because of an improved run defense, but the secondary has been really bad. The main complaints I see about Coyer are the large cushions that his CB's sometimes give, and his lack of creativity in the defensive scheme, especially blitzing.

When Coyer was brought in, the colts defense was supposed to become more aggresive. In 2009, Coyer's 1st year, the colts had a top ranked defense if I remember right and they were more aggresive like we were told they would be. But ever since then, and especially this season, the defense has become more vanilla and less aggresive. They don't blitz as much and our CB's give way to much of a cushion half of the time. My question is, why? Why would Coyer all of a sudden stop coaching the defense like he did in 2009 and switch back to the soft Tampa 2 defense?

I don't think you can complain about his creativity as of late because of what he was doing along the D-line, as the colts used a 3 man line with Philip Wheeler as a potential 4th pass rusher in the Bengals game, kind of like a 3-4. The defense seemed more predictable earlier in the season to me than it does now. I would like to see more blitzing though, maybe even throwing in a CB or S blitz.

The last point I want to make is does Coyer get to choose what players he uses in his defense? Maybe he wanted to start Justin Tryon over Jacob Lacey. Maybe he wants to start Kevin Thomas at CB, whom for some extremely weird and odd reason doesn't even dress up even though he is healthy. Same thing with Jerry Hughes. I thought Hughes would be used as a 3rd pass rusher at the DT position in obvious passing situations, like they used to use Raheem Brock. But for some unknown reason again, he didn't suit up for the Bengals game, after getting his first career sack against the Chiefs, even though it was called back because of a personal foul penalty committed by another colt player.

I personally like Coyer if he coaches aggresively, but I don't like seeing 10+ yard cushions and short dump off passes that go for 10 yards over the middle.

Your basic question; is Coyer calling the shots on defense, really drills down to the nerve, doesn't it? I think the answer is no. I don't think he is. My gut tells me that to a large degree, he's trying to execute the scheme he's been instructed to run, and to do it with the players he's given. The Colts always present a unified front on these issues (a trait I admire and prefer, but is also on occasion frustrating), so it becomes difficult to know who needs a trip to the woodshed.

I'm not sold on Coyer. He did well his first season, then his second season we had tons of injuries so he gets a pass in my book. This is his make or break year in my book and he has done nothing to make the defense better. His lack of adjustments on defense is brutal. Our defense does decently in the first half of games, but we always get ripped apart in the second half because offenses adjust and we stay the same

I think if we give him some players to work with in the secondary and stop cutting guys for dumb reasons, we could maybe get better.

I dont think we should get rid of him yet. Thats just how i feel about it

I just want to know why we got away from the 2009 defense that played really well...

I just want to know why we got away from the 2009 defense that played really well...

I think it has something to do with his bosses, he cant even put up the best 11 guys on the field. Thats why when the whole justin tryon thing went down, i knew it had to be somthing else, because he wanted him to play, same thing goes for what his bosses want him to call durning the game, It do not make any sense,

But anyway, I feel he should be able to stay, The team as a whole need to work with him, so he can get some guys that can play in this style of system. Then maybe we can get some stops on 3 and 1.

I dont know if our defense is workable with our personell..

The Bears (same D. same coach tree) work the tampa 2 because of Urlacher and Briggs

we try to do the same with second year LBs

a.nd our secondart is street value..

If the theory is you blitz to cover up weaknesses...we never blitz and our weaknesses are uncovered..

we need a change in philosophy..

If Coyer and Caldwell are lazy enough to let the Polians boss them around and to tell them what to do, then I have lost my respect for them. Have they ever heard of self confidence? I hate it when people try to tell me what to do when I'm right, just like everyone else. I don't know how Caldwell and Coyer could coach for a team that doesn't even let them do what they love to do, coach.

I just can't tell if the coaches are running the show or if Bill Polian is... it's really frustrating. I just want it fixed and it's not as hard as it looks to fix it.