Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Peyton Be Released, Traded Or Retire?

dn4192

That goes back to the old adage. If you don't have anything nice to say it's better to say nothing at all, which can be loosely translated to when a valid response would be to rip, laugh, mock, ridicule, make fun of, look at from a sardonic view, then it's better not to say a word.

I disagree. I think its way funner to poke fun at them.

I would be interested to know why some here believe an aging QB with limited mobility and a injury that impacts his throwing ability will still be on a high level for another 3-4 years? Lets be honost, what makes Peyton great is ability to read defenses and make the right throw. He has no ability to move out of the pocket and he has never in his entire career been a great passer, some of his passes in fact look like wounded ducks in flight. Unless Peyton takes on the use of PED's I am baffled to death as why people think he will continue to be the QB he was over the past decade....it just doesn't happen.

dn...

I think this surgery could help him play longer.....

Its not and elbow, shoulder or arm .....they're all getting a mid-career rest..

If his neck heals as it should...he will throw just as well as he did before..

..and he'll miss a year when our line was somewhat unsettled...

Our love affair with Peyton is because he puts us near a title/....every year...

there's a lot of good QBs but only a couple can beat any team on any day...PM is one..

I dont think there is any scenario by which he stays too long..

I want him to play his last 4 years.

I am not a Patriot fan so I don't care...but the Pats do as they invested a draft pick in a possible replacement for him this past draft getting the QB from Arkansas who is very raw but could be something in 2-3 years learning under Brady.

You have a lot more faith in Ryan Mallet as a franchise QB than I do. I don't think he will be a full-time starter for very long. I don't have anything to base that on except for seeing him in college, so I could very well be wrong. But I don't think the Pats drafted him as Brady's heir apparent, just as a backup QB.

Peyton has always said he would only play for one team and would retire a Colt. Irsay isn't going to be disloyal to Peyton. He will be here until he is ready to retire.

..and sometimes as year off makes you want what you had....

If it was me...I'd consider this unexpected injury a message to not take anything for granted and play until can no longer go out there...

That's why we trade the top pick for two No. 1s and get him some more help..

Mannings is not a great passer. Watch him throw and then watch someone like John Elway or Dan Marino throw. Peyton is great because Peyton knows where to throw and how to get his WR/TE and such into great positions to make the catch, but he is not a pure passer.

My opinion is I don't know and that I trust the opinion of those who "actually" are in that line of work over someone who sits on his couch on sunday and watches the game from home, the local eatery or even in the stadium. There are people here who actually believe they know more by just sitting in the seat and watching over those in the position. That is absurd to even consider. It's one thing to say I don't like the coach and want him gone, it's another to "claim" to know more then said coach or GM or such when you have never even worked in that field.

If you trust the opinion of those who are "actually" in the line of work then why would you possibly try to argue that Manning is not one of the best pure passers of all time? Have you ever once heard an expert say Manning is a bad passer? Read it in an article? I know I haven't...quite the contrary actually, they all seem to consider him a great, if not the best ever, pure passer to ever play the game.

If you trust the opinion of those who are "actually" in the line of work then why would you possibly try to argue that Manning is not one of the best pure passers of all time? Have you ever once heard an expert say Manning is a bad passer? Read it in an article? I know I haven't...quite the contrary actually, they all seem to consider him a great, if not the best ever, pure passer to ever play the game.

Great QB yes, but when it comes to the art of passing I have not heard that or seen that. A number of his passes look funny or like a wounded duck in flight. What makes him great is his ability to get the best out of the talent around him, read and adjust to just about any defense ever designed and to put his recievers in the best position to catch the ball. Put him in a passing drill competition and I doubt he would win.

Great QB yes, but when it comes to the art of passing I have not heard that or seen that. A number of his passes look funny or like a wounded duck in flight. What makes him great is his ability to get the best out of the talent around him, read and adjust to just about any defense ever designed and to put his recievers in the best position to catch the ball. Put him in a passing drill competition and I doubt he would win.

So did Marino's passes. Brady's come off like that a lot too. It's actually more of a technique. It's a more catchable ball. Again, others that aren't nearly the quarterback or passer, throw a very tight spinning ball, but they can't put it places that Manning, Marino or Brady.

Wow almost as bad as Spurrier's Happy feet comment. Just wow.

Edited by FIreJimmy

I am not a Patriot fan so I don't care...but the Pats do as they invested a draft pick in a possible replacement for him this past draft getting the QB from Arkansas who is very raw but could be something in 2-3 years learning under Brady.

You think Brady will be done in 2-3 years? rotfl Brady has stated he wants to play for 20 seasons. What is he on now his 12th? That means Mallet gets the starting job in his 8th season. WOW, I'd bank on that kid being good. :thmup:

Edited by Fx Stryker

Well if Caldwell does what some suggest Mora did, then yes he may be fired:

Some sources believed that Mora could have saved his job if he fired one (or more) of his coordinators (especially defensive coordinator Vic Fangio) but he refused to do so. Mora was fired after the season and replaced by Tony Dungy who led the Colts to win the Super Bowl in 2006 before leaving the Colts after the 2008 season.

But I do believe Caldwell will be open to changes on staff, and there isn't Tony Dungy available out there like there was when Mora was let go.

i am sure he will be open to,cause he is a puppet!

Didn't say he couldn't play, what I said is his skills are going to diminish as he gets older. A QB at 37 isn't as good as he was at 27. To think that Peyton come some how avoid declining in ability as he ages is just foolish. What is important is that the Colts do what is right for the franchise (see SF/GB) and not try to ride Peyton's "arm" to long and in stead get a reliable, quality, dependable replacement in here in either this up coming draft or the next because if they don't, this franchise is real trouble.

Well, John Elway's skills diminished a bit in the later years of his career, but his team had the sense to build a dominate running game and a formidable defense to help take the load off of him. And I think that worked out pretty well for Elway and the Broncos... There's no good reason why the Colts can't do the same thing. And trading down from the #1 pick (if we get it), would be an excellent way of acquiring more high picks that we can use to build our own dominate running game and formidable defense of the future. There are some excellent interior offensive linemen projected to go from the middle of the first round on through the third round. And LaMichael James is projected to go in the mid to late 2nd round or even 3rd round, and would be a steal there. I think that dude is going to be the next Barry Sanders!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wTu5I0c3c

That's 4.4 speed... The only knock on him is that many of the experts don't think he'll be able to hold up to the physical punishment of the NFL (with his small stature) as a full-time primary back. I think he'd be an excellent addition to our team. Give him 12-15 carries a game, and throw him a few screen passes, then let Addai and Carter share the rest of the carries. It'd kinda be like the Saints the year they won the Super Bowl. James would be our Reggie Bush, only even more explosive.

Also, there will be many good CBs available in the 2-3 rounds, and the top rated SS, Mark Barron, is projected to go in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Not to mention many other quality players that would be able to immediately step in and contribute to more Peyton Manning led Super Bowl runs. Basically, what I'm getting at is that you are selling Peyton way too short. That man is a legend. We've all seen him do incredible things and set the bar for all QBs. When he does come back and plays like the greatest of all time yet again and leads us to another excellent season and playoff run, are you going to be thinking about how we should have drafted Luck or some other 'replacement'? There is no replacing Peyton Manning.

So did Marino's passes. Brady's come off like that a lot too. It's actually more of a technique. It's a more catchable ball. Again, others that aren't nearly the quarterback or passer, throw a very tight spinning ball, but they can't put it places that Manning, Marino or Brady.

Wow almost as bad as Spurrier's Happy feet comment. Just wow.

There was a WR poll among wideouts where wideouts predominantly said they would prefer to catch balls from Peyton more than any other QB since he is accurate and for most of the time, does not lead his wideouts into someone else and hits them in stride. (Before someone mentions Collie here, just pointing out - playing the slot, no matter who you are, is a tough proposition and Collie's issues last year were more of an issue of Clark going down on IR thus leading to double teams shifting towards Collie in the slot more and that is when the timing of all his season ending hits and concussions happened). Plus, recently, due to O-line issues, the Colts have almost had to morph into a west coast type system relying on YAC and short 3 step drops instead of being able to hit deep balls like the Harrison days.

Also, Elway had an inferior QB rating (something around the 70s) for someone who played in the same era as Marino (who was an ungodly passer). So, Marino, IMO was a superior QB w.r.t pass efficiency compared to Elway but it had nothing to do with his spiral, more to do with his accuracy. Plus, when a QB has to take something off the ball and provide soft touch on it, every QB has his own variation. Manning's throws may look funny at times and Brady's throws may look funny at times too because of that. Like you said, its a more catchable ball.

Just to illustrate that, in the recent Bengals game, that throw to Clark on 3rd and goal was zipped too fast. Thanks to Clark's hands, he made a GREAT catch for that TD. Painter knows to throw it only 1 way, it seemed like, zipping it. It would have been a much easier catch if the ball was a little more wobbly and less zip on it. Peyton has completed those same passes to Clark (3rd and goal vs Texans in 30-24 win at Houston in 2007 - http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8029b438/Colts-30-Texans-24 check the 0:30 mark, I miss that zone coverage of Ron Meeks and the old Brackett, I never thought I'd say that), that is what Painter needs to work on, knowing when to take something off, will come with time.

If throwing the spiral were the only element for a passer, then JaMarcus Russell should be one heck of a passer :). LOL

Edited by chad72

At some point over the next 3-5 years this issue is going to come to a head. Peyton is in his twightlight of a great career, but with any great athlete there comes a time when the Franchise needs to begin looking towards the future, and with the Colts I believe that time is upon us this season and upcoming draft. However it rare when this seperation is clean and nice. The franchise especially in this case with Peyton has a very special bond and appreciation that only happens in rare cases. They know they need to move on, but also want to hope that maybe the player has 1 more season left in him. The player in most cases always believes he has 1 more great season left in him.

So...we are now at a point where what should the Colts do?

AS long as he want to play, let him

Dungy says if we can draft Luck we trade peyton... all the more reason to root for some dang wins!

Wait where did you hear that from?.... if he did say that, it strengthens my point that there is no way Luck would want to sit 3-4 yrs to play... peyton would HAVE to leave earlier than that.

There was a WR poll among wideouts where wideouts predominantly said they would prefer to catch balls from Peyton more than any other QB since he is accurate and for most of the time, does not lead his wideouts into someone else and hits them in stride. (Before someone mentions Collie here, just pointing out - playing the slot, no matter who you are, is a tough proposition and Collie's issues last year were more of an issue of Clark going down on IR thus leading to double teams shifting towards Collie in the slot more and that is when the timing of all his season ending hits and concussions happened). Plus, recently, due to O-line issues, the Colts have almost had to morph into a west coast type system relying on YAC and short 3 step drops instead of being able to hit deep balls like the Harrison days.

Also, Elway had an inferior QB rating (something around the 70s) for someone who played in the same era as Marino (who was an ungodly passer). So, Marino, IMO was a superior QB w.r.t pass efficiency compared to Elway but it had nothing to do with his spiral, more to do with his accuracy. Plus, when a QB has to take something off the ball and provide soft touch on it, every QB has his own variation. Manning's throws may look funny at times and Brady's throws may look funny at times too because of that. Like you said, its a more catchable ball.

Just to illustrate that, in the recent Bengals game, that throw to Clark on 3rd and goal was zipped too fast. Thanks to Clark's hands, he made a GREAT catch for that TD. Painter knows to throw it only 1 way, it seemed like, zipping it. It would have been a much easier catch if the ball was a little more wobbly and less zip on it. Peyton has completed those same passes to Clark (3rd and goal vs Texans in 30-24 win at Houston in 2007 - http://www.nfl.com/v...ts-30-Texans-24 check the 0:30 mark, I miss that zone coverage of Ron Meeks and the old Brackett, I never thought I'd say that), that is what Painter needs to work on, knowing when to take something off, will come with time.

If throwing the spiral were the only element for a passer, then JaMarcus Russell should be one heck of a passer :). LOL

I dont agree with that, painter knows when to float the ball a bit and he has done that with wayne and garcon... that pass painter threw was a bit high no doubt about that... seeing the pass from the back camera you can tell it was high none the less great play call and execution.

I dont agree with that, painter knows when to float the ball a bit and he has done that with wayne and garcon... that pass painter threw was a bit high no doubt about that... seeing the pass from the back camera you can tell it was high none the less great play call and execution.

You may be right, it was just on that one play that he may have been anxious and he may have done it better on other occasions. Heck yeah, it was an important one and Painter might have thrown high because he got tight.

The bottomline is, the QBs have to learn to throw all kinds of speeds and the main point I was trying to make was the pass can look wobbly sometimes when QBs do that. It was a great play call, no doubt about it but I felt Clark had more to do with the TD pass executed right than Painter in that instance because of how it was delivered.

Edited by chad72

...... Wow with that coming from dungy, that doesnt seem at all too impossible. Right now i dont think they will do that

I think people need to start coming to terms with that if the Colts get that 1st pick, they're gonna take Luck. I still don't think they would trade Manning, but I don't think there is any way they're going to pass on Luck if they have a chance to get him.

I think people need to start coming to terms with that if the Colts get that 1st pick, they're gonna take Luck. I still don't think they would trade Manning, but I don't think there is any way they're going to pass on Luck if they have a chance to get him.

More Likely i think fans need to come to the realization that the colts are less likely to get that 1st round pick, the colts will get some wins so i dont think they will get the chance to draft Luck... painter is on course for a pretty good season and he's only getting better and being more confident, the colts may not win tomorrow but i believe that offense for the colts will show that they can put up points when they are playing good football.

That's assuming that the Colts feel he is the best QB and would be best value at the top pick which is something no one will know until we get closer to draft day. I have no doubt the Colts will have private workouts with each of the top QB's they have in consideration and each player's showing at the combine will weigh into it too. People can claim all they want that there's no way Luck could have a bad combine or that there's no way any of the other QB's could show equal or comparable talent in private workouts but there's no way for anyone to know that.

IF Luck does have the best showing at the combine, in private workouts and IF the Colts feel he is lightyears above the other QB's and IF they feel the need is great enough (dependent on Manning's bill of health in April) then I agree, they probably will draft him. These are a lot of variables though and there's no way to know at this point how any of these will work out. What people do need to come to terms with is that no one knows anything definitively at this time so to speak as though you do simply makes you look foolish.

I still think the Colts would trade Luck given the opportunity. With all of the out of control hype his value will be through the roof. How could we not trade him? Stockpiling some picks and getting a few new starters on both sides of the ball > Getting a short term benchwarmer/possible long term answer at QB.

1. Draft Luck

2. Trade Luck

3. Gather all draft picks received from trading Luck

4. Draft defensive players next year

5. Get new coaches

6. Celebrate superbowl parade

.... :hide:

It would be best just to trade the pick if that's what they had in mind. That way we don't get stuck paying off his signing bonus as well, if he turns out poorly, we don't get stuck with a Ryan Leaf or having to trade him for way less than #1 overall value.

At some point over the next 3-5 years this issue is going to come to a head. Peyton is in his twightlight of a great career, but with any great athlete there comes a time when the Franchise needs to begin looking towards the future, and with the Colts I believe that time is upon us this season and upcoming draft. However it rare when this seperation is clean and nice. The franchise especially in this case with Peyton has a very special bond and appreciation that only happens in rare cases. They know they need to move on, but also want to hope that maybe the player has 1 more season left in him. The player in most cases always believes he has 1 more great season left in him.

So...we are now at a point where what should the Colts do?

There are too many variables right now to say this or that. There are some scenarios where he could be traded, retired, or signed to an extension. We just don't know at this point.