Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wide Receiver

Okay, scenario: If the Colts had to take a receiver in the draft with our top pick, which receiver do you feel(or just your personal preference) the Colts should take between these 3: Alshon Jeffery, Justin Blackmon or Michael Floyd. With that said I think the Colts should take Blackmon or Floyd but my personal preference is Alshon Jeffery.

My preference for our first pick is not WR but the best defensive player available, but in picking WR I would rank Jeffrey ahead of Blackmon...for the reasons stated before...he could be the next Calvin Johnson and that is saying a lot. I don't know why, but I'm sensing character issues with Blackmon. With Peyton behind center again, a good high 1st round or 2nd round WR pick would do us wonders.

my preference for wr in round 1 would be Jeffery > Floyd > Blackmon

I don't know, I'd take Blackmon over Floyd. Blackmon does so many things at OSU. He just seems like a bigger playmaker to me than Floyd right now. Like I said before though, I would take Jeffery over both of them anyways.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

Definitely Alshon Jeffery, but Justin Blackmon is very good too. Jeffery is such a physical beast, he's the closest thing there is to Calvin Johnson. I think Michael Floyd is more of a mid 1st rounder to me.

Please never compare Alshon Jeffery to Calvin Johnson again. Calvin's in a league of his own!! From overall talent i would rank them Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffery. As for a reciever that has all the skill sets i think Blackmon is the most well rounded reciever for our offense. He seems a little quicker then Floyd and Jeffrey, runs really crisp routes and plays bigger then his 6'1 frame indicates. Don't get upset with my rankings since all of these recievers are all really close in talent and i would love to have either of thes guys on the team. Just don't make the mistake of comparing any of these guys to Johnson which is just rediculous.

Please never compare Alshon Jeffery to Calvin Johnson again. Calvin's in a league of his own!! From overall talent i would rank them Blackmon/Floyd/Jeffery. As for a reciever that has all the skill sets i think Blackmon is the most well rounded reciever for our offense. He seems a little quicker then Floyd and Jeffrey, runs really crisp routes and plays bigger then his 6'1 frame indicates. Don't get upset with my rankings since all of these recievers are all really close in talent and i would love to have either of thes guys on the team. Just don't make the mistake of comparing any of these guys to Johnson which is just rediculous.

Amen. I would also prefer Blackmon because Jeffery is just a big body with good hands and some speed to matter, I guess that's some of the reasons people like him so much. Floyd is also a very good 1st rd WR

From a physical standpoint you can't argue that Alshon Jeffery is somewhat closer to Calvin Johnson than anyone else. He's 6'4" 233 lbs. while Johnson is 6'5" 239 lbs. He may not be as fast, but he is a very physical and talented receiver that I would love for the colts to have.

From a physical standpoint you can't argue that Alshon Jeffery is somewhat closer to Calvin Johnson than anyone else. He's 6'4" 233 lbs. while Johnson is 6'5" 239 lbs. He may not be as fast, but he is a very physical and talented receiver that I would love for the colts to have.

The better comparison to me for Jeffrey (which is still a big honor) is Vincent Jackson. They roughly have the same speed/burst and great hands. Calvin is still faster/stronger and can get higher then anybody in NFL history.

The better comparison to me for Jeffrey (which is still a big honor) is Vincent Jackson. They roughly have the same speed/burst and great hands. Calvin is still faster/stronger and can get higher then anybody in NFL history.

Yeah, Calvin Johnson is definitely an incredibly talented physical beast. I'm not saying that Alshon Jeffery is as physically talented as Johnson, just that he's about as close as it gets.

we can take someone else in the first round and take Mohamed Sanu in the early second round. This guy is tall and physical has good not great speed but gets no hype because he plays at rutgers. He has 63 catches through 7 games in an offense with no running game , a freshman qb, and no other wr(the next leading reciever has 14 catches and is there fb)

check him out on youtube. He started as a freshman and returns kick offs and punts

we can take someone else in the first round and take Mohamed Sanu in the early second round. This guy is tall and physical has good not great speed but gets no hype because he plays at rutgers. He has 63 catches through 7 games in an offense with no running game , a freshman qb, and no other wr(the next leading reciever has 14 catches and is there fb)

check him out on youtube. He started as a freshman and returns kick offs and punts

No, I am not buying him. He is very inconsistent, that is why. He has Kenny Britt upside and is not a ME wideout like Britt though they are from Rutgers (like Torrey Smith being a stand up guy compared to DHB from Maryland, similar comparison, IMO). But his inconsistency bothers me and his competition bothers me as well.

If I remember, Marlin Jackson was drafted because he went against Braylon Edwards in practice all the time. The best defensive backs are in the SEC - Kirkpatrick, Claiborne, Gilmore etc. all of whom can be chosen from bottom of 1st to top of 1st round, IMO. Alshon Jeffery does go against Gilmore in practice, that is for sure, because they are teammates. I also heard Jeffery is a better route runner than Calvin Johnson coming out of college.

Alshon Jeffery's strengths are finding openings in zones and getting open plus red zone scoring, his route running is good too. His weaknesses are outrunning defenders since he is not as fast as Calvin Johnson. The Raiders wideouts, they can run 20 to 30 yards up the field but if they cannot read coverages and find holes in zones, what is the point of 40 speed (which is why they drafted Denarius Moore for underneath route running while having DHB & Jacoby Ford for long routes)? Jeffery can do that now with his size, that is a big plus. The Colts have never put a premium on speed, so it will be interesting how they approach him:

http://www.mockingth...-notes#comments

Blackmon, on the other hand, is not required to run complex routes in his spread offense (taken from here):

http://www.mockingth...-prospect-notes

Jeffery is a better fit for the Colts. Plus, you have to think about life without Peyton and a better red zone/end zone target for a newer QB which Jeffery would be better suited as, IMO.

Edited by chad72

The things we need in a receiver in this offense are intelligence, consistency, route running, and hands. Whoever chalks up the highest tallies in each of those categories is probably the best fit for our Colts.

Just because a guy is 6'4" doesn't mean he's going to be "physical" or "dominant." Pretty sure Roy Hall was big too.

Just because a guy is only 6'0" doesn't mean he can't be explosive. DeSean Jackson and Wes Welker might have some words for you.

Alshon doesn't have that much speed

True but he runs routes really well for a big man. It is hard to find the Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss type of player that is tall, can run fast and have good hands, they don't come around too often. Alshon compares more to Fitzgerald or VJax.

Edited by chad72

True but he runs routes really well for a big man. It is hard to find the Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss type of player that is tall, can run fast and have good hands, they don't come around too often. Alshon compares more to Fitzgerald or VJax.

I get you. It is hard to find guys like Calvin Johnson. But since when did peyton ever need a 6 4' WR? He's done just fine without one. Its more like a luxury than a need to have a tall WR. Thats why I think Blackmon is the better option because he is fast, quick, runs good routes and is slight bigger than all of our recievers at 6 1' 215 pounds.

I get you. It is hard to find guys like Calvin Johnson. But since when did peyton ever need a 6 4' WR? He's done just fine without one. Its more like a luxury than a need to have a tall WR. Thats why I think Blackmon is the better option because he is fast, quick, runs good routes and is slight bigger than all of our recievers at 6 1' 215 pounds.

According to this site, Blackmon's 40 is better than Jeffery's by .02 seconds even though he's 3 inches and about 15 pounds lighter. So I would give Jeffery the physical advantage. Personally I think Alshon is the best WR in the draft and we'll draft him if we don't get 1st or trade down.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89640&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profilexnews.php?pyid=81957&draftyear=2013&genpos=WR

Edited by CCH

Blackmon is quick but he is not that much faster than Jeffery, he is timed in the high 4.4s. Jeffery compares to Brandon Marshall as well who is not as fast but very productive for a WR his size. Plus, the Cowboys' system does not emphasize route running as much, so we have to watch the 3-cone drill numbers which are normally a good indication of separation ability. Here is his profile:

http://www.cbssports...players/1695604

Here are some different profile notes on Jeffery:

http://www.mockingth...-player-profile (you should see the highlights where he beats Mark Barron of Alabama and he beat Dre Kirkpatrick too, 2 high profile defensive backs from Alabama)

http://www.mockingth...er-profile-shas

Some mock drafts at nfldraftscout:

http://www.cbssports.../nfl/draft/mock (note one of them have us taking Jeffery)

Both Blackmon and Jeffery are going in the top 10, and possibly Floyd could too, when it is all said and done.

Plus, if Peyton has O-line protection issues, he could use the luxury of a red zone target instead of working those 3 step drops and making our offense a west coast offense. Making our offense work versus making our offense excel, a quality WR can put our offense over the hump since it has been hampered in the YPA (yards per pass attempt) category big time recently even with Peyton.

Edited by chad72

Blackmon is quick but he is not that much faster than Jeffery, he is timed in the high 4.4s. Jeffery compares to Brandon Marshall as well who is not as fast but very productive for a WR his size. Plus, the Cowboys' system does not emphasize route running as much, so we have to watch the 3-cone drill numbers which are normally a good indication of separation ability. Here is his profile:

http://www.cbssports...players/1695604

Here are some different profile notes on Jeffery:

http://www.mockingth...-player-profile (you should see the highlights where he beats Mark Barron of Alabama and he beat Dre Kirkpatrick too, 2 high profile defensive backs from Alabama)

http://www.mockingth...er-profile-shas

Some mock drafts at nfldraftscout:

http://www.cbssports.../nfl/draft/mock (note one of them have us taking Jeffery)

Both Blackmon and Jeffery are going in the top 10, and possibly Floyd could too, when it is all said and done.

Plus, if Peyton has O-line protection issues, he could use the luxury of a red zone target instead of working those 3 step drops and making our offense a west coast offense. Making our offense work versus making our offense excel, a quality WR can put our offense over the hump since it has been hampered in the YPA (yards per pass attempt) category big time recently even with Peyton.

You are spot on with what you are saying. But most sites don't have the correct measurables, so we'll probably have to wait til draft day. But instead of reading what others write, if you just watch them play and not put what reports say into consideration, Blackmon would fit our offense better.

Also kirkpatrick is really stiff in the hips so thats probably why he got beat. ;)

You are spot on with what you are saying. But most sites don't have the correct measurables, so we'll probably have to wait til draft day. But instead of reading what others write, if you just watch them play and not put what reports say into consideration, Blackmon would fit our offense better.

Also kirkpatrick is really stiff in the hips so thats probably why he got beat. ;)

I agree with this just watching the games and all that Blackmon does he seems more like a Colt reciever to me. Maybe his DUI arrest could take him out of the 1st round consideration but the colts had no problem drafting Rucker( who i know was a 6th rd pick and made it easier to gamble on). Jeffrey is just the big body reciever that all the fans has always wanted (including me). It's just my gut feeling that if Blackmon and Jeffrey were on the board and the colts were going reciever, it would be Blackmon. If i'm wrong on that i wouldn't care becuase i think both would be great.

I agree with this just watching the games and all that Blackmon does he seems more like a Colt reciever to me. Maybe his DUI arrest could take him out of the 1st round consideration but the colts had no problem drafting Rucker( who i know was a 6th rd pick and made it easier to gamble on). Jeffrey is just the big body reciever that all the fans has always wanted (including me). It's just my gut feeling that if Blackmon and Jeffrey were on the board and the colts were going reciever, it would be Blackmon. If i'm wrong on that i wouldn't care becuase i think both would be great.

Agreed. Both are great and I hope they both have long succesful nfl careers. But if the colts were on the board and they were going to take WR, I could see us getting Blackmon.

I don't really follow college ball much, but I have been looking at a lot of draft sites and another big reciever that we may be able to get at the top of the second round is Nick Toon.

Anyone have any insight on him?

I was very impressed with Nick Toon. He seems to give 100% on every play which is something I didn't see in guys like Jeffery and Jeff Fuller. Blackmon seems like he could be (note I said COULD be) a prima-donna type WR which is something the Colts won't deal with. Floyd is my favorite of the projected first round WR's but if we wait till the second round I'd put my money on either Nick Toon or Ryan Broyles (if he remains a 2nd round prospect).

I'd rather wait until the middle and late rounds for a wr. I think wayne will resign and i like the wr depth in this draft.

Agreed...there should still be a lot of WR talent in the 2nd, 3rd and even 4th rounds.

we do not need a receiver in any round. WR is not one of our problems. Even if Wayne leaves, we are still stacked at the position.

Depends on what happens in the offseason. Garcon and Gonzo are in their contract years just like Wayne. Gonzo could be re-signed for cheap, not sure about Garcon to be honest. There will always be a running team who loves his run blocking and going deep skills that will take a flyer on him. The Colts will not overpay him but if we lose Garcon, we cannot just rely on Gonzo to be the outside WR should Wayne also leave. Re-signing Garcon should be done first, and then address Wayne's contract. Wayne is more likely to ask for more than Garcon, hence that is how I would like the Colts to approach it.

If Garcon leaves, just having Wayne will not suffice on the outside, given Gonzo's injury history. Collie and White will give us ample to fill the slot. A WR as an early pick is not necessary and we could take a WR like Dwight Jones of North Carolina, Lance Lewis of East Carolina, Derek Moye of Penn State all in rounds 3 or later to give us an extra outside WR that can run good routes and develop chemistry with Peyton.

How pressing of a need it is will purely be determined by our ability to re-sign Garcon and/or Wayne. Gonzo, he will come cheap for a 1 or 2 yr. deal, so I am not worried about him.

Edited by chad72

Depends on what happens in the offseason. Garcon and Gonzo are in their contract years just like Wayne. Gonzo could be re-signed for cheap, not sure about Garcon to be honest. There will always be a running team who loves his run blocking and going deep skills that will take a flyer on him. The Colts will not overpay him but if we lose Garcon, we cannot just rely on Gonzo to be the outside WR should Wayne also leave. Re-signing Garcon should be done first, and then address Wayne's contract. Wayne is more likely to ask for more than Garcon, hence that is how I would like the Colts to approach it.

If Garcon leaves, just having Wayne will not suffice on the outside, given Gonzo's injury history. Collie and White will give us ample to fill the slot. A WR as an early pick is not necessary and we could take a WR like Dwight Jones of North Carolina, Lance Lewis of East Carolina, Derek Moye of Penn State all in rounds 3 or later to give us an extra outside WR that can run good routes and develop chemistry with Peyton.

How pressing of a need it is will purely be determined by our ability to re-sign Garcon and/or Wayne. Gonzo, he will come cheap for a 1 or 2 yr. deal, so I am not worried about him.

I seriously doubt that Dwight Jones will last till the 3rd round. He has played very well this year and he is another big talented WR. I'm still hoping for Jeff Fuller hahaa.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

why not look into a free agent WR instead of burning our later round picks? we can be using these picks on O and D line.

I wouldn't mind having TO or Ochocinco on this team. Our system will not allow these players to be free roaming.

Edited by number28

why not look into a free agent WR instead of burning our later round picks? we can be using these picks on O and D line.

I wouldn't mind having TO or Ochocinco on this team. Our system will not allow these players to be free roaming.

O-line, we have new faces that are playing well - Castanzo, Reitz and Ijalana to be specific. One pick, maybe for the OG position. Pollak is supposed to take over for Saturday at center should Saturday be let go. We don't need as many picks for the O-line as in the past but if we get great value at some point, the Colts' management will pull the trigger.

D-line - if we re-sign Mathis, we need one nose tackle in the draft (and maybe one UT to replace Eric Foster but a slightly bigger one) and we need to re-sign Anderson & Brayton. That should shore them up.

In fact, our O-lines and D-lines have played better than the LB corp. and secondary, when Nevis & Foster were healthy. We would probably need another UT and one NT at best in the draft.

Secondary is where our focus should be on. Ocho Cinco - hate to be blunt but he is not the sharpest tool in the shed and our O does not work on the basis "you run, I throw". Ocho Cinco has spent weeks on the Pats playbook and still does not see much playing time, his history with Carson Palmer is not stellar either w.r.t running all kinds of routes and being on the same page as the QB, he can run go routes but a timing offense, he has really not been part of like one with the Colts, the Pats is his first test and its not going that well. T.O - it depends on whether his ACL injury has slowed him down or not.

Instead of taking chances and spending more money on a free agent WR, we spend less money on a later round draft pick who, if scouted well, can be brought up with the system and even when we transition to a new QB (now or in a few years whenever it happens), we will have a younger wideout that we have trained well. Knowing the Colts, how they value draft for roster replenishment over free agency, it is more likely they go the draft route, definitely for skill positions. Marvin, Reggie, Clark, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, White, Addai, Brown, Carter, Tamme, Eldridge - every single of them came from the draft though White was an UDFA, that is what they will stick to.

The free agents, if we add any, are more necessary on the defensive side since certain positions like DT, CB or safety take a few years to learn and develop and we could infuse some vet experience there to mix with our youth. Our low risk signings of Anderson & Brayton are doing well enough so far. Signing Corey Simon & Booger worked for us in the past. I would expect them to go after some free agents now that they realize Peyton, even if he is coming back, is in the home stretch of his career, and the team needs to be constructed differently. I think they will take a John Elway like approach for Peyton moving forward, build the D primarily.

Edited by chad72

I seriously doubt that Dwight Jones will last till the 3rd round. He has played very well this year and he is another big talented WR. I'm still hoping for Jeff Fuller hahaa.

You may be right. With the success of Hakeem Nicks and even a less than stellar Greg Little with the Browns, the North Carolina WRs have been placed on the map. So, Dwight Jones should go somewhere in the 2nd round.