Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodney Harrison: "We'd have easily won three Super Bowls with Peyton Manning"

bayone

And without his three TOs, it is 35-14 and Broncs win in blow out like they should have. And he was spotted 14 from his special teams to boot.

Rodney can say whatever he wants but it behooves him and his career to say the SBs were about the defense when everyone in NE knows without Brady= no rings. This idea that you can hypothetically take Manning and put him on the Pats and he would win three rings is silly as who is QBing the Colts? If it is Brady then I like my chances.

But this is the bottom line, with Brady and Manning it is just not about rings as if it was then it would be the same argument one could have about Eil being better then him which he clearly isn't. No, the argument here is greater than that because Brady has a better winning percentage in the regular season, better in the post-season by a lot, multiple league MVPs, etc. He will go down as the better player not just because of the rings but because of the whole career - he is the closest to Marino and Montana in one player. Now, if you want to flip flop and imagine what might have been had the Pats somehow had Manning, be my guest. But like I said, that is degrading to Manning who has had a HoF career in his own right just not to the same level success as Brady.

You can throw those rings in the trash. They were won by cheating. Tell me they weren't?

Do you really believe all the venom you spew here?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but you really crack me up.......

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on now GoPats you know that Harrison knew his comments would be taken as inflammatory and he meant them that way the week leading up to Pats/Denver. It is silly when you think of it. What QB wouldn't benefit from a great defense? Pretty sure Cam is having a good year this year due to his defense and pretty sure Manning had a top 5 defense last year. It still comes down to having timely play come the playoffs in all three phases. More often then not Manning has not played like the 100 million QB in the playoffs. He has had a number of years with good defenses and has not made it. So what? Like I said, the suggesion is degrading to a QB like Manning who is a first ballot HoFamer. Like he somehow needed Brady's teams to win or more to the point Rodney Harrison. Just silly.

In this thread, you have made statements such as:

I have my doubts that Manning would have been able to run the different style of offenses that Belichick has incorporated over the years or that Bill would let him run his Indy offense.

His whole career makes him better than Manning.

More often then not Manning has not played like the 100 million QB in the playoffs. He has had a number of years with good defenses and has not made it.

Yet, your noble reason for being upset with Rodney's comments is because you find them degrading to Peyton.

Girl, you are hilarious. :lol: 

-Couple of things wrong here. If you are talking about MVPs, Manning has 4, on his way to 5 over Brady's 2(not even close here).

-Regular season 16-0 is probably the most

forgotten record ever and really only contributes to the Patriots demise because they couldn't complete the season perfect.

-Winning percentage has to do with more of the team rather than the QB. The Patriots went 11-5 WITHOUT Tom Brady in 2008. Brady is a product of the BB system.

-Brady would need to average 40 touchdowns the rest of his career to get to Peyton's mark. He only has 14 this season. Manning has 36.

-Brady is close to Mannings yardage in terms of years played but Brady would need to throw for close 4,200 every season the rest of his career to even get in the same range. And this season Manning has almost a full 1,000 more yards then Brady.

-Making the Super Bowl 5 times is irrelevant if you don't win them. Ask the Buffalo Bills in the early 90's.

Brady has been compared to Montana while Manning has been compared to Marino.

Brett Favre currently owns all the records and no one sees him as the goat and he has a ring and SB loss like Manning. There is a reason why Lebron went to Maimi despite being on his way to being the most statstically dominant player in NBA history. He is chasing Jordans six. And so too Manning is chasing Brady. That is why comments like these are made by Harrison and others and why Manning is often referred to as the best regular season QB. We'll see how things play out the rest of the way for both of them but like I said Brady has been chasing Montana all these seasons to get that elusive fourth ring not Manning.

You can throw those rings in the trash. They were won by cheating. Tell me they weren't?

Do you really believe all the venom you spew here?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but you really crack me up.......

I suppose there is always spygate for the uninformed Pats haters ....

If you dont know, Pats were fined for cheating. Not that anyone takes you seriously  but if you continue to ignore facts and just being one dimensional, as SHECOLT said, its pretty hilarious.

Yeah they cheated to get those rings. Brady was just a game manager QB at that point in  his career. Awesome D with a great run game.

Yeah they cheated to get those rings. Brady was just a game manager QB at that point in  his career. Awesome D with a great run game.

Too bad Peyton could not be the same type of manager or else he could have 3 rings too. Or maybe not unless he played with Rodney of course.

By the way, Bob Sanders was 10 times the safety as Rodney.

Brett Favre currently owns all the records and no one sees him as the goat and he has a ring and SB loss like Manning. There is a reason why Lebron went to Maimi despite being on his way to being the most statstically dominant player in NBA history. He is chasing Jordans six. And so too Manning is chasing Brady. That is why comments like these are made by Harrison and others and why Manning is often referred to as the best regular season QB. We'll see how things play out the rest of the way for both of them but like I said Brady has been chasing Montana all these seasons to get that elusive fourth ring not Manning.

Favre didn't innovate and change the game like Manning and he also owns the record for most INTs. His career numbers are based on above average play with extremely good longevity. Favre played an insane amount of games consecutively which contributed highly to his stats.

I'm gonna come at you a few different ways about this whole Lebron comparison:

You bring up a good point about Lebron leaving to chase Jordan's six rings, but why did he leave? He left because he didn't have the TEAM around him, much like Manning didn't have for a good portion of his career in Indy. Lebron jetted when had the choice, Manning didn't get the choice and chose loyalty even when his owner did not later on his career. Which leads me to my next point...

Another angle is that this comparison of NBA and NFL players would be more suited towards having Dirk Nowitzki being compared to Peyton Manning. Both are considered one of the all-timers at their respective positions and both had made the playoffs consistently for a number of years but ran into superior competition (Steelers, Patriots - Spurs, Lakers) until finally outting their long time nemisis to win a championship (Patriots, Heat).

Like I said, when there is no argument left there is always spygate.

I am not here to argue with you. I came here to educate you. Now sit up straight and spit that gum out. The Pats cheated when they won those rings. Your crush did not put the team on his back and win those SBs.

Now put 2 fingers up, that's how many MVPs Tommy has won.

Now put 4 fingers up, that's how many MVPs Peyton has won.

See 4 is greater than 2.

Favre didn't innovate and change the game like Manning and he also owns the record for most INTs. His career numbers are based on above average play with extremely good longevity. Favre played an insane amount of games consecutively which contributed highly to his stats.

I'm gonna come at you a few different ways about this whole Lebron comparison:

You bring up a good point about Lebron leaving to chase Jordan's six rings, but why did he leave? He left because he didn't have the TEAM around him, much like Manning didn't have for a good portion of his career in Indy. Lebron jetted when had the choice, Manning didn't get the choice.

Another angle is that this comparison of NBA and NFL players would be more suited towards having Dirk Nowitzki being compared to Peyton Manning. Both are considered one of the all-timers at their respective positions and both had made the playoffs consistently for a number of years but ran into superior competition (Steelers, Patriots - Spurs, Lakers) until finally outting their long time nemisis to win a championship (Patriots, Heat).

Nice post all around.

Believe me I am no Favre fan. I do think he deserves his credit as his longevity is unmatched and he played at a high level until age 40 which is unprecedented. But he had a penchant for the picks given his style of play and made costly plays in the playoffs to cost his teams.

I am not sure why you claim Manning has changed the game? The high fly passing attack came in the 80's with Marino, Fouts and Elway championing the way. Manning has followed in their footsteps. And Brady too for that matter.

I think when considering the all time greats - all are judged by championships and winning. I realize that is unfair but in this case between Brady and Manning there is not much else separating them. Both have won a ton, have a ton of stats, multple league MVPs and records. I think greatness comes down to winning. I think Brady's .780 winning percenrage in the regular season is as impressive as his rings, maybe more impressive as it is hard to win like that over a long period of time in the NFL. He has never had a losing season. His worst was 9-7 in 2002. I don't deny that he has had better teams in the early part of the '00s but he has also had some horrible defenses the last six seasons that he has carried to a SB (2011) and two AFC champ games (2011, 2012.).

I would never think to compare those Indy teams to Lebron's Cavs. Not that b-ball and football are good to compare anyways. But that Colts of the '00s were named the second team of the decade by SI behind the Pats and the Pats only edged them out when post-season victories were counted. The Colts were dominant. Manning had some great teams but lost for a myraid of reasons. It is never just a simple answer as to why teams don't win championships. Those Colts teams were plenty good enough IMO.

Too bad Peyton could not be the same type of manager or else he could have 3 rings too. Or maybe not unless he played with Rodney of course.

Bradshaw must be a better game manager than Brady then.

Adam Vinateri has more rings than Brady.

How many times we have to repeat this, winning SB is a team effort. Brady happend to be in the team which was great and has a great Coach.

Your statement of Peyton being a poor game manager - really you are taking the hilarious factor to another level.

I am not here to argue with you. I came here to educate you. Now sit up straight and spit that gum out. The Pats cheated when they won those rings. Your crush did not put the team on his back and win those SBs.

Now put 2 fingers up, that's how many MVPs Tommy has won.

Now put 4 fingers up, that's how many MVPs Peyton has won.

See 4 is greater than 2.

Well said.

Amfootball - Also, if you want to talk SB, its a team game. If you want to talk Peyton Vs Brady one on one, Peyton has better QB rating in playoffs than Brady. Go check it.

Listen, i know you love Brady and he is a great QB but dismissing facts wont take you too far.

http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/22/tom-brady-peyton-manning-new-england-patriots-denver-broncos-sunday-night-football-nfl/

Read this. Will get some idea.

Nice post all around.

Believe me I am no Favre fan. I do think he deserves his credit as his longevity is unmatched and he played at a high level until age 40 which is unprecedented. But he had a penchant for the picks given his style of play and made costly plays in the playoffs to cost his teams.

I am not sure why you claim Manning has changed the game? The high fly passing attack came in the 80's with Marino, Fouts and Elway championing the way. Manning has followed in their footsteps. And Brady too for that matter.

I think when considering the all time greats - all are judged by championships and winning. I realize that is unfair but in this case between Brady and Manning there is not much else separating them. Both have won a ton, have a ton of stats, multple league MVPs and records. I think greatness comes down to winning. I think Brady's .780 winning percenrage in the regular season is as impressive as his rings, maybe more impressive as it is hard to win like that over a long period of time in the NFL. He has never had a losing season. His worst was 9-7 in 2002. I don't deny that he has had better teams in the early part of the '00s but he has also had some horrible defenses the last six seasons that he has carried to a SB (2011) and two AFC champ games (2011, 2012.).

I would never think to compare those Indy teams to Lebron's Cavs. Not that b-ball and football are good to compare anyways. But that Colts of the '00s were named the second team of the decade by SI behind the Pats and the Pats only edged them out when post-season victories were counted. The Colts were dominant. Manning had some great teams but lost for a myraid of reasons. It is never just a simple answer as to why teams don't win championships. Those Colts teams were plenty good enough IMO.

Which is why people don't put him in the GOAT discussion too often. His very un-timely picks and frequency of them hurt him a lot in terms of his overall legacy.

Manning didn't just run a high flying offense like some of the greats before him, he essentially became THE offensive system in the game's most important position. It's essentially like having an offensive coordinator on the field. The ability to stay in no-huddle all game and operate at high levels while having almost complete control over plays was un-heard of and is still not matched by ANY QB. Just look at how Curtis Painter faired when he tried to run the same system in Manning's absence. Manning's system was so refined yet simplistic in nature that it was nearly impossible to stop at times. It completely relied on the QB's cognitive ability to read and analyze a defense. The Colts essentially would 15-20 plays a game that they simply could check to at any time. Manning's ability to decipher a defense coupled with this system is something ONLY he has done to this point. Look at how he operates in Denver compared to his system in Indianapolis. Its essentially the same system with a few variations due to different coaches.

Please read this to get a more in-depth idea of what I'm trying to show you: http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense

^^^Very eye opening link by the way for anyone wanting to know more on Peyton's offense.

Again, you seem to equate winning all to the QB when Brady was winning Super Bowl's and winning regular season games but love to point out the team's bad defense's when he's lost them. You can't have it both ways.

And honestly, I think its very fair to compare Lebron's Cavaliers to Peyton's Colts during the times they were on those respective teams. In each of the season's both were gone, (Manning's injury, Lebron's F/A departure) the teams both finished with the worst records in their respective leagues. The Cavs finished with the top pick and took Kyrie Irving, the Colts took Andrew Luck. Yet, while Lebron and Peyton were on their teams, the teams both finished with great regular season records (Primarily because of their star players ability to not only carry but also improve the players around them) yet when they got to the post-season they frequently were ousted because they ran into teams that had more balanced or more overall talent/skill. The difference between basketball and football is that an individual player himself can carry his team a little bit further than in football because of pure numbers. There's 10 guys on a basketball court at a given time that contribute to both sides of the ball, with roughly 5-7 guys on the bench to contribute. While in football theres 22 guys on the field at a given time with 50+ guys on the team in total. Harder to carry when you have more possiblities of something out of your control happening (defense-offense-special teams).

"By the way, Bob Sanders was 10 times the safety as Rodney."

Ok I could just take this in so many different directions...Instead Ill just say simply that very clearly....As good as Bob was he was not in Harrisons league and I was a big fan of BOTH players

Ok I could just take this in so many different directions...Instead Ill just say simply that very clearly....As good as Bob was he was not in Harrisons league and I was a big fan of BOTH players

I always thought Rodney was overrated. 

A healthy bob sanders was a much better player than Rodney Harrison

I always thought Rodney was overrated.

He was a playmaker I always thought, 34 int's in his career, 3 seasons of 5 or more, 3 years of 10 or more passes defensed and 30.5 sacks for a Safety, He was an all around great Safety I think, Now he had his shortcomings, wasn't the fastest or the most athletic and he played undisciplined at times but he made plenty game changing plays

He was a playmaker I always thought, 34 int's in his career, 3 seasons of 5 or more, 3 years of 10 or more passes defensed and 30.5 sacks for a Safety, He was an all around great Safety I think, Now he had his shortcomings, wasn't the fastest or the most athletic and he played undisciplined at times but he made plenty game changing plays

Yeah but he played for like 14 years. 34 INTs in 14 years is good, but not really that impressive in the long run. 

He was only an all-pro 4 times. Sanders was an all-pro in the only 2 seasons he was healthy. 

right. Or a poor man's super star version

He did have great reflexes on the QB eyes...which of course helped his INTs

Peyto

True Supe..

But the idea that Belichick knows more about how to use talent because he won 3 Super Bowls in NE and Indy won one...is a little simplistic

Indy had less talent

Not offensively, they didn't. Always had more offensive talent, except at QB.

The Colts actually had some good defenses in the early 2000's. The loss in '04 was on Peyton, not the defense.

Only Pats fans believe that statement.  Years from now, it is Petyon who will be remembered by the NATION we call The United States of America, as the greatest QB that ever lived.  No doubt in my mind about that.  I bet the nation believes that right now.

Peyton has a national reputation for being subpar in the playoffs, for having a sub .500 winning percentage in the playoffs, and for having the most one-and-dones in history.

Please read this to get a more in-depth idea of what I'm trying to show you: http://smartfootball.com/offense/peyton-manning-and-tom-moores-indianapolis-colts-offense

^^^Very eye opening link by the way for anyone wanting to know more on Peyton's offense.

thanks for the link. I always knew it was simple but highly efficient. The routes were tree like.

One thing when people argue the Manning had better WRs than Brady or vice versa....is what made the colts WRs so good was the length of service with the same QB and that's huge itself. Timing, knowing the WR.  Heck Marvin didn't even have to come in the huddle and those two practiced a lot together for years.

One can only wonder how good Brady would be had he great or even good receivers for long stretches. Deion Branch was the closest he had.

No doubt Montana had Jerry Rice for so long. That longevity of playing together is a big deal.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Oh noes, here we go (more Bud Light please as I sit back and see another Brady vs Manning argument) :)

Hey, at least it isn't Luck vs. RG3.  haha Am I right?

Peyton and Belichick wold have won at least 5 superbowls together. When Brady won those superbowls he wasn't considered an elite QB. Now he wasn't a game manager like Dilfer but he was more Joe Flacco,  in the 13-15 QB  range before he won the superbowl. Manning has been Elite since 2000 and had to carry the Colts a a lot more then Brady did.

I tend to laugh and we all laugh and chuckle here in New England when people cry and whine and bring up spy gate.  "You cheated!!! You cheated!!  Waaa waaaa."  lol  Notice they all repeat each other and use each other's unoriginal names like it's a 3rd grade cafeteria? lol  "You cheated poopy head!"  No one even cares about spy gate here.  We're still celebrating our World Series victory with the Red Sox and the Bruins doing great as they won the Stanley Cup in 2010. Celtics won the title in '08.  You see, here in New England we don't need to rely on a quarterback and put him on Mt Rushmore.  We got David Ortiz Big Papi and a whole host of other great athletes to keep us entertained.

We Patriots fans and Cowboys fans do take great honor and knowing we have so many haters.

Boston sports = 8 championships since 2001.

Sports most hated teams =

NY Yankees

LA Lakers

Dallas Cowboys

New England Patriots

Ohio State

I'll take Brady in the post season over Peyton.  But I'd take Peyton over Brady in the regular season in a climate controlled environment.

Now, Peyton played most his games indoors as the Colts played 8 home games a year indoors (with artificial noise pumped through the speakers) and they also played 1 more in Houston in doors so that's 9 indoor games.  Now you have to also take into consideration when the Colts play the NFC South and play the Falcons and Saints indoors so that's 11 games in doors in a season.  Most the year Jacksonville and Nashville have more pleasant weather plus the Jags and Titans have been horrible for years and now the Texans are back to being the same old Texans.  Peyton is an excellent regular season climate controlled quarterback.  Brett Favre grew up in the hot south but he was able to make the transition and play QB in Green Bay in 10 degree weather.

From 2001 to 2006 the Pats' offense wasn't that great and the big deal was that Brady didn't have many weapons, he didn't have "quality" weapons.  Not compared to the offensive fire power the Colts had in the early to mid 2000's.  The Pats were built on defense.  Colts were built on offense.  Most times a good D beats a good O in the post season especially when the weather is bad.

Pats would have gone to the 2006 Super Bowl if Reche Caldwell didn't drop that one pass in the AFC title game, so it wasn't some silly video camera because if some video camera made a difference then the Pats would have known what Peyton and the offense was doing.  They didn't know what Peyton was doing because no camera did anything for the Pats.  Peyton and the Colts' were better when they had to be and the Pats didn't capitalize and Caldwell dropped one ball that would have ended the game if he caught it.

The reason why the Pats haven't won a super bowl since 2004 has nothing to do with some flimsy silly insignificant video camera.  It's because of many factors below...

Salary cap...

Free agency and business - Pats either traded or released or players left for other teams for more money or better deals.

Staff changes - Charlie Weis the offensive coordinator left.  Romeo Crennel the defensive coordinator left.  Eric Mangini left.  Scott Pioli left plus so many coaches that many other teams have now.  Chances are there is a former Pats' employee on every NFL team now and once that former Pats' coach of employee gets hired by a different team everyone in the organization surrounds him and asks him the magic secrets the Pats used and tries to pick his brain just like how the Colts put Adam Vinatieri under the hot light asking him what he knew.  lol  So "if" the Pats cheated well what did Adam say about it?  You're calling Adam Vinatieri a cheater, but he knows the truth....his team and his foot won super bowls.

So all the former Patriots players who are either on other teams now or retired why haven't they come out and "exposed" all the dirty little secrets of spy gate?  lol  Plenty of disgruntled former Patriots players who left on bad terms would LOVE nothing more than to get even with Belichick and Kraft.  If anyone would expose the Pats it would be Ty Law, Lawyer Miloy,  Adam Vinatieri and Richard Seymour who left on very bad terms.  Well why aren't they speaking out?  lol

So "IF" some video camera made a significance are you saying that if the Pats were still using some video camera that they would have won every super bowl since 2005?  lol  So why didn't the Pats win the 2002 super bowl?  Why didn't they win the 2005 or 2006 Super Bowls?  lol

"IF" some video camera helps then why didn't it help the Broncos when Josh McDaniels was there and one of their coaches was using the "special secret Hubble Telescopevideo camera" ?  lol

Gene Upshaw former executive director of the Player's Association (NFLPA) said that no video camera caused Kurt Warner to fumble in the super bowl in 2001.  That was all on Kurt.

Commissioner of the NFL even said that whatever video the Pats had of the Rams' walk through before the super bowl was not processed.

Jets used video cameras too but Eric Mangini the snitch was just mad the Pats blew out his team so he went crying to the NFL like a bitc%.  Where's he now?

Many teams used video cameras.  Heck former Cowboys' coach Jimmy Johnson said he knew of teams that did the same and far worse.  So it's sad that teams do things and sit back and don't man up and come out and admit it.

Saints bounty scandal - I doubt the Saints were the only ones involved in that.  It's just when one gets caught everyone else stays silent like cowards.

Richie Incognito = Every NFL team has one of them and some teams have 10 Richie type players on their team but everyone currently playing in the NFL is silent on it because they do it and their locker rooms are involved in the same activity.

So if the Pats need to give back their rings (they never will) then the Colts need to give back their ring since they were pumping in artificial noise into their stadium.  Sad that the Colts can't just rely on their own fans to create noise in an indoor stadium and just rely on them.  Don't get me started on that cheating fraud Bill Polian either who's obsessed over the Pats who live rent free in his head.

Edited by shecolt
inflammatory