Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Free Agents

BmoreColt

The link provided has a list of NFL Free Agents after this season:

http://nfltraderumors.co/2011022012-nfl-free-agents/

Obviously some of the names are valuable players who will be retained by their respective teams, some have signed contracts already and will not be available, but there are some intriguing names on the list at positions of need for the Colts. With some recent lack of success in draft picks and the moves made in free agency before the season, I found some players maybe the Colts could push for that would fit:

WR’s: Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace and our Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon

RB’s: Ray Rice and Matt Forte (Both Worth at least Addai Money and more!)

QB’s: Matt Flynn (Peyton’s Heir)

OL: Ben Grubbs (Physical talented Guard) and Demetrius Bell (Freak Tackle)

DE’s: Israel Idonije and our Robert Mathis (Ironically a lot of quality 3-4 DE’s available)

NT’s: Paul Soliai* and Ahtyba Rubin

LB’s: London Fletcher, Curtis Lofton and DeAndre Levy (Quality 3-4 OLB’s available)

SS: Laron Landry*, Michael Griffin, and Jim Leonhard

CB’s: Rashean Mathis, Tracy Porter, and Cortland Finnegan

Obviously some decisions on current players would need to be made but, instead of Wayne, why not a young impact receiver like action Jackson or mike Wallace. Rice or Forte both run hard, catch well, and pass protect, both probably will stay with their current teams but with the right offer and freed up cap space, maybe we could lure one of them here? Paul Soliai is the run stuffer NT the Colts need, Laron Landry is the impact SS we have needed and to me is a bigger version of Bob Sanders. Maybe Cortland Finnegan could bring some of his feistiness to our secondary as well! Obviously all of these are unrealistic but what moves would you make or what players you would bring in?

It's way too early to tell where we will go in free agency. We will need to see what our draft is going to look like. It should also be kept in mind that we made a bigger splash than usual in the free agency market this year due to the lockout. It was a mad frenzy trying to sign players in the 2 week span before pre-season. Some people got over looked and we were able to scoop up Brayton, Sims, Anderson etc. With an entire off-season looming soon, I feel like the Colts will not do as much as they did this past off-season.

It's very easy to tell where we will go. Look at Polians past and you will see he limits himself to very little action in the FA market. Now even with how this season has gone and will go, I don't see that changing. Polian has done it the way he has done it and been successful, he and his son are not going to change from that.

its sad that we are talking like we are in the offseason!

I still think we can win the next 10 games and go with Peyton Manning in the playoffs! Alittle too optimistic but i have faith! :)

That's not a little too optimistic.

It is just plain delusional.

Forte and Rice are gonna ask for double Addai's money... not worth it. Matt Flynn is not PM's heir. I really like Grubbs, but I don't think we'll sign him but we should. Reggie Wayne and Garcon are fine... Jackson and Wallce NO. Athyba Rubin could be good

The link provided has a list of NFL Free Agents after this season:

http://nfltraderumor...fl-free-agents/

Obviously some of the names are valuable players who will be retained by their respective teams, some have signed contracts already and will not be available, but there are some intriguing names on the list at positions of need for the Colts. With some recent lack of success in draft picks and the moves made in free agency before the season, I found some players maybe the Colts could push for that would fit:

WR’s: Desean Jackson, Mike Wallace and our Reggie Wayne and Pierre Garcon

OL: Ben Grubbs (Physical talented Guard) and Demetrius Bell (Freak Tackle)

DE’s: Israel Idonije and our Robert Mathis (Ironically a lot of quality 3-4 DE’s available)

NT’s: Paul Soliai* and Ahtyba Rubin

LB’s: London Fletcher, Curtis Lofton and DeAndre Levy (Quality 3-4 OLB’s available)

SS: Laron Landry*, Michael Griffin, and Jim Leonhard

CB’s: Rashean Mathis, Tracy Porter, and Cortland Finnegan

Obviously some decisions on current players would need to be made but, instead of Wayne, why not a young impact receiver like action Jackson or mike Wallace. Rice or Forte both run hard, catch well, and pass protect, both probably will stay with their current teams but with the right offer and freed up cap space, maybe we could lure one of them here? Paul Soliai is the run stuffer NT the Colts need, Laron Landry is the impact SS we have needed and to me is a bigger version of Bob Sanders. Maybe Cortland Finnegan could bring some of his feistiness to our secondary as well! Obviously all of these are unrealistic but what moves would you make or what players you would bring in?

I dont think we are going to be switching to a 3-4 defense so i am not sure why you keep referencing it

Peyton's heir, lol.

But i agree that Addai is a bust. How many more games will i spend yelling at my tv because Addai runs far left to the sideline and gets sacked to gain his proverbial +1 yard gain... i honestly think he'd do better to fumble the ball every play and try to recover it, at least we'd get 2 yards out of that.

Peyton's heir, lol.

But i agree that Addai is a bust. How many more games will i spend yelling at my tv because Addai runs far left to the sideline and gets sacked to gain his proverbial +1 yard gain... i honestly think he'd do better to fumble the ball every play and try to recover it, at least we'd get 2 yards out of that.

Addai is a bust? He is one of the most important pieces on offense. He runs well, pass blocks very well, can catch the ball out of the backfield and can even line up at WR. Also, as for your sig, no credible source (such as a doctor) has said that his injury is career-ending. In fact, I've only heard that the patient has very few, if any, problems after the operation

Peyton's heir, lol.

You do know Addai is a big part of why we won our Super Bowl right?

Also since Addai has come in the league we have tried something like seven other running backs and NONE of them have put up better numbers than Addai on a regular basis. You know that is? The line has not been really good. That has been the real issue. I don't care who you have back there if there is no line in front of him he's not going to run the ball well and don't say Barry Sanders because he had something like two regular pro-bowlers in front of him. The two years Addai has a good line in front of him he had 1,000 yard seasons including being named to the pro-bowl as a starter the second year and the first year he had 1,000 yards coming off the bench and spliting carries with Rhodes. Also Addai isn't your MJD type of back, like anything else in our offense he's there for the pass first. He's maybe the best pass blocking running back in the NFL and he's a darn good pass catcher out of the backfield. Our offense the way it has been set up has not called for a MJD or Chris Johnson type of back that is going to get close to 30 times a game. We want a guy who can run enough to keep the other team honest on play action passes and Addai is a good fit for our offense.

Now with that said you can argue we need to change the offense a little bit more towards being more balanced like we were Addai first couple of years here and I think you are starting to see that. It's pretty clear by getting bigger guys on the o-line and sticking with a guy like Link who we are giving up some in pass protection for his run blocking skills and having a fullback on the roster and drafting a guy like Eldridge who is a blocking tighend the Colts are trying to comit more to the run and it's showing as Addai's numbers are up this season vs. recent years in terms of YPC (which is 4.4 which anyone will tell you is what you want your running back to average). The biggest problem is that his carries per game is down around 11. We need to give him the ball more which I am sure we will if we aren't behind as often as we have been this season.

Just be clear I am not going to argue that Addai is any where near the best running back in the NFL but he's far from a bust. Donald Brown is a bust because they give you next to nothing (although it looks like the Colts might have finally figured out how to use Brown). In fact we kept Addai in large part because of Brown's lack of production. Addai has given us plunty since he's been here. No he isn't as good as Edge was but just because he wasn't doesn't mean he was a bust.

It's very easy to tell where we will go. Look at Polians past and you will see he limits himself to very little action in the FA market. Now even with how this season has gone and will go, I don't see that changing. Polian has done it the way he has done it and been successful, he and his son are not going to change from that.

I do, it has to if this team wants to keep Peyton happy. CB, DL, and OL will all be upgraded aggressively this off season through the draft and FAgency. I guarantee it.

Only a few years left in the Manning run, (if he can play on)... and I am sure Indy will load up to make one final run at a ring.

I do, it has to if this team wants to keep Peyton happy. CB, DL, and OL will all be upgraded aggressively this off season through the draft and FAgency. I guarantee it.

Only a few years left in the Manning run, (if he can play on)... and I am sure Indy will load up to make one final run at a ring.

Peyton's locked into a long term contract short of pulling a Carson Palmer there isn't much he can do about not being happy. I don't think Peyton is going to pull a Carson Palmer either he loves playing football too much and nothing in his history with us has shown that he would ever pull something like that. I think some fans want Manning to do something like that because it's what they want done and they think if Manning acted like that then managment would listen.

Also since like week three the o-line has not been a major issue and frankly since we are playing with a make shift like the past couple of weeks that's impressive.

As for what we will do in the free agent market it's going depend on what kind of money we do or don't have which is probably going to depend on how much we give to guys like Wayne, Mathis, Saturday, Garcon, and etc. Also if we don't keep those guys it opens other holes that have to addressed then too.

Nothing is impressive about 0-6, esp when this team could very easily be 3-3. This season with out Manning has been a disappointment.

The only bright spot on this team so far has been the player the staff had no faith in... C Painter. ... and Angerer... but a lot of tackles are normally symptomatic of a "bigger issue".

Nothing is impressive about 0-6, esp when this team could very easily be 3-3. This season with out Manning has been a disappointment.

The only bright spot on this team so far has been the player the staff had no faith in... C Painter. ... and Angerer... but a lot of tackles are normally symptomatic of a "bigger issue".

Garcon has played well, the o-line looks much better and our draft class this year looks very good. The ground game looks better than in years past and if we are going to talk about Angerer being a bright spot then we have to talk about Conner being one as well as he's second in the NFL in tackles. McAfee has also been very very good. So there are bright spots you just have to look for them although I would agree with you by far the good doesn't out weigh the bad.

Polian did say he was " baffled " after KC game, by our team results this season so maybe will do something,

Editor’s Note:

A quote from Bill Polian on the post-game radio show says it all for the state of the Indianapolis Colts franchise at this point in the season.

“I’m baffled. Truthfully, it’s hard to envision with the kind of people we have upfront that we can be this porous in the secondary. It’s a dilemma honestly.”

Since when has Polian been so direct and honest about his football team? Polian is frustrated. Expect some changes in the future. ( LETS HOPE )

SEE END OF ARTICLE FOR ABOVE EDITOR'S NOTE

http://www.coltzilla...loss-to-chiefs/

Edited by bayone

Not a chance, Polian doesn't believe in it, and this idea that there still is a run left in Peyton needs to stop. Peyton gave us some incredible seasons, it is time to begin the transition and you do that via the draft and time.

Laron Landry will break the bank. I'd go with Michael Griffin, who is a solid safety that can be had for less and is familiar with the division. He also has a knack of being at the right place at the right time for INTs. Let us get something from the Titans other than Antonio Johnson (and Kerry Collins though KC was a free agent).

Edited by chad72

Peyton's heir, lol.

Addai is hardly a bust. My main knock against him is that he tends to be susceptible to injury. But he is a good all-round back who does a lot of little things well. Reliable blocker, decent pass catching skills and before his injury, he was running harder than last year. I wouldn't say he is amongst the premier backs in the league but he is the best back currently on our roster. Delone Carter has potential to be a decent power back but he isn't much of a pass catcher. Donald Brown is the only potential home run threat but he is too inconsistent and is not a good blocker. The Colts have already spent some pretty valuable picks to address this area in recent years and I think they are satisfied with their running back stable as a whole. I don't expect running back to be a position that we will target in free agency or the draft next year. If Donald Brown doesn't cut it and we need a 3rd running back then the Colts may turn to Darrell Evans or someone from next year's rookie free agent pool.

If we could pursue one free agent from the OP's list outside of signing some of our own players (preferably Mathis), I'd go for Laron Landry.

Edited by Coltsman1788

Thread should have been called "My Madden Franchise." Not only will 95% of the players you listed be resigned by their perspective teams...but half of them have the exact character issues that the Colts organization stays away from. Also they are not going to switch from a 4-3 tampa 2 based defense to a 3-4 and even if they were going to...it makes NO sense to make a dramatic defensive change and build it from free agency. Not to mention Freethis would not fit well into a 3-4 so you'd have to trade them or move them to linebacker....also never gonna happen. Do I agree that there will be changes this offseason? Yes I do. HOPEFULLY Polian realizes now that stacking your offense with top picks and your defene with bottom/undrafted picks is not the best way to go. HOPEFULLY he realizes the holes in the coaching as well. That said...he's always been the "build from the draft, not free agency" kinda guy and just because he got away from that a little this season...I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up for him to continue.

Peyton's heir, lol.

rotfl at bust!!! There's nothing even here for me to say. GoColts8818, 21isSuperman & Coltsman1788 said it all. But on the free agents, none of those guys will be a Colt. Maybe if they were Former 1st round picks in the 2002 draft BP would sign them *