Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Playoff standings

SoCalColts

Guest TeamLoloJones

If both teams win out that wont hold up. I believe common opponents is next tie breaker? Makes the Bengals and remaining Texans game bigger.

We are already 2-1 in common games: Wins vs. Houston and Denver...Loss vs. Miami and still have to play Houston again and Cincy.  

The Pats are 1-1: Win vs. Miami and loss vs. Cincy...still have to play Denver, Houston, and Miami again. 

So if both teams win out then it goes to strength of victory.  Our weak division is going to drag down our SOV.  But our SOV is quite a bit better than NE's right now.

You probably know this SB...just posting it for everyone else.

I can honestly see them coming out on fire and edging the Broncos after tonight, which could create a crazy situation as the 1, 2, and 3 seed could all be within a half game of each other.

Miami might be able to steal one from them if they get lucky, otherwise that Miami loss we had might be the loss that hurts the most at the end of the season. The Cincy game is a monster now, its got too many implications riding on it.

We are already 2-1 in common games: Wins vs. Houston and Denver...Loss vs. Miami and still have to play Houston again and Cincy.

The Pats are 1-1: Win vs. Miami and loss vs. Cincy...still have to play Denver, Houston, and Miami again.

So if both teams win out then it goes to strength of victory. Our weak division is going to drag down our SOV. But our SOV is quite a bit better than NE's right now.

You probably know this SB...just posting it for everyone else.

Yeah, if it goes down to SoV the Colts win easy. The wins over San Fran, Seattle, and Denver give them the strongest SoV in the NFL (Carolina may actually have that now actually, but they dont matter.)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yeah, if it goes down to SoV the Colts win easy. The wins over San Fran, Seattle, and Denver give them the strongest SoV in the NFL (Carolina may actually have that now actually, but they dont matter.)

Plus we play KC, and Cincy, so if we beat them that will help ours too.  Carolina's SOV isn't even close to ours.  Only Buffalo has a better SOV than us.

Plus we play KC, and Cincy, so if we beat them that will help ours too. Carolina's SOV isn't even close to ours. Only Buffalo has a better SOV than us.

I was just spitballing off the top of my head honestly. I thought the San Fran and NE wins would help them more. At any rate its not a big deal as far as AFC seeding goes.

The big thing is if NE beats Denver and the Colts beat Arizona next week, things get absolutely messy in the race for the 1 seed.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I was just spitballing off the top of my head honestly. I thought the San Fran and NE wins would help them more. At any rate its not a big deal as far as AFC seeding goes.

The big thing is if NE beats Denver and the Colts beat Arizona next week, things get absolutely messy in the race for the 1 seed.

All we can do is hope we go into Arizona and take care of business.  That's all we can control.

If both teams win out that wont hold up. I believe common opponents is next tie breaker? Makes the Bengals and remaining Texans game bigger.

we also have a better division record, so if both teams win out, colts would have the tie breaker with a 6-0 division record compared to a 5-1 record for NE.

Guys, I'm almost certain that division record is the 1st thing that is looked at when determining a tie breaker... so if the colts and pats win out, colts would have the 2nd seed with a better division record. conference record comes second, and then strength of schedule comes last.

Guys, I'm almost certain that division record is the 1st thing that is looked at when determining a tie breaker... so if the colts and pats win out, colts would have the 2nd seed with a better division record. conference record comes second, and then strength of schedule comes last.

Division record has no bearing on confrence seeding, unless dealing with two wildcards from the same division.

When determining the playoff positioning for two teams that are not in the same division, head-to-head is the first thing that is looked at, followed by conference record. Doesn't make sense to compare division records when they were in different divisions and were playing different teams.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Tie-breaking procedure for playoff seeding:

1.  Overall Record

2.  Head to Head

3.  Conference Record

4.  Record in common games

5.  Strength of Victory

6.  Strength of Schedule

Yeah but the safe bet is wanting NE to lose. I don't see Denver losing 2 more games this year