Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RGIII

SilentHill

I have heard less and less and less about RGIII over the past couple weeks, so I wondered to myself, is the RGIII hype over? Has he finally crashed back to earth?

Looking at his stats, his completion % is down almost 6 points, his interceptions have doubled and it's only week 11, his fumbles lost have doubled from 2 to 4, and his fumbles currently sit at 10, last year he had 12. he's been sacked 8 times less than last year (He was sacked 8 times in the last 2 games though), and he has 7 less rushing TD this year (0).

Also the worst part, the Redskins 3-7 record. compared from 10-6 last year.

Is this what we can expect from him moving forward? I think he's fallen to 4th on the depth chart of the 2012 draft, slightly behind Tannehill.

What is everyone elses takes?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Redskins' record and the problems with our passing game in particular are part of a far more complex issue than just Griffin.  Griffin has not looked entirely himself for much of this season and neither has our interior offensive line or receiving corps.  Whether this is a matter of them overachieving last year, underachieving this year, or there being some deeper issue related to the coaching staff or locker room atmosphere is pretty much indeterminable at present.  Early next season will say a lot.

I will say that the stats are both unfair to and overly generous towards Griffin depending on how you break them down and what games you look at in particular.  Again, it's a complex issue and not something that is easily broken down even on film.

The Redskins' record and the problems with our passing game in particular are part of a far more complex issue than just Griffin.  Griffin has not looked entirely himself for much of this season and neither has our interior offensive line or receiving corps.  Whether this is a matter of them overachieving last year, underachieving this year, or there being some deeper issue related to the coaching staff or locker room atmosphere is pretty much indeterminable at present.  Early next season will say a lot.

I will say that the stats are both unfair to and overly generous towards Griffin depending on how you break them down and what games you look at in particular.  Again, it's a complex issue and not something that is easily broken down even on film.

Griffin is playing terribly. 

What's happened to Bob is exactly what I said would happen last yr.. Many people bought into his hype and Bob bought into it too. I took a lot of crap from Bob's worshipper's last season for saying once defense's catch up with what the Skins were doing, Bob would be nothing but average. He hasn't even been that so far this yr.. Don't go by only his stats, his stats are highly skewed because he's been able to make them look better than they really are because the only time's he's been effective was during garbage time because the Skins keep getting blown out.

What's happened to Bob is exactly what I said would happen last yr.. Many people bought into his hype and Bob bought into it too. I took a lot of crap from Bob's worshipper's last season for saying once defense's catch up with what the Skins were doing, Bob would be nothing but average. He hasn't even been that so far this yr.. Don't go by only his stats, his stats are highly skewed because he's been able to make them look better than they really are because the only time's he's been effective was during garbage time because the Skins keep getting blown out.

Yep. He had something like 24 passing yards during the Eagles in the first half.

Griffin is playing terribly. 

Add that with the ACL injury, and getting hit a lot.

I wonder if he was rushed back too soon from that ACL, I mean it's obvious that he is no Adrian Peterson at this point.

Maybe he should have taken more time to rehab, but you have to think he's played 10 games now this year, and it's not getting any better.

Agreed. He probably wasn't ready to go, but wanted to play to live up to his hype. He also took a hit that took him off the field for one of the games.

Still bitter about him winning the ROY last year, IMO he wasn't even the best rookie on his team. But thats over now. I think he will be very good once he figures out a traditional NFL offense. The zone-read and college type offense he was running last year worked, but its been largely figured out. He has the passing ability to change, but I don't know how long it will take, especially with running being such a huge part of his game. Until he figures it out, he will have to be more of an Alex Smith QB, game managing, no big risks. Glad we got Andrew

I have heard less and less and less about RGIII over the past couple weeks, so I wondered to myself, is the RGIII hype over? Has he finally crashed back to earth?

Looking at his stats, his completion % is down almost 6 points, his interceptions have doubled and it's only week 11, his fumbles lost have doubled from 2 to 4, and his fumbles currently sit at 10, last year he had 12. he's been sacked 8 times less than last year (He was sacked 8 times in the last 2 games though), and he has 7 less rushing TD this year (0).

Is this what we can expect from him moving forward? I think he's fallen to 4th on the depth chart of the 2012 draft, slightly behind Tannehill.

He's like Trent Richardson. Horrible offensive line but makes mistakes himself without admitting it. 

The Redskins have played in a lot of different time slots than the Colts , so I have seen a lot of RG3's games this year. My take would be to agree with what you have above. I think I saw all of the Philly game other than the two Washington TD drives. My take was he was terrible other than that last drive from the 5. He was very good there , just made a desperation throw he maybe didn't have to make. I only mention that game as Philly has been pretty bad vs the pass this and year and RG should have eaten them up considering how good the running game was. 

I only mention the Philly game as I thought he was moving the needle up a bit before that game. But I guess a young QB can go up and down. Going forward , I'm like you ... who knows. IMO , I don't think Shanahan helped him at all. All that stupid SB talk probably added to the already too much pressure on RG3 to perform. He needs to evolve into a more traditional type NFL QB and I wonder if Shanahan has stunted that growth ? 

At times.  He's been way up and way down between games and within a lot of individual games.  As I said before, though, he's also not getting a lot of help in some instances.

I think he's been down/way down every game, and his stats get a bailout from prevent defense. I don't understand how you're qb can suck so bad with Morris beasting and feasting though 

seeing a lot of the growing pains that one would normally have in their rookie season playing in a traditional offense; book isn't written yet. I think I said after the draft that I wouldn't draw any solid conclusions for at least 3 years knowing he was far from a finished product, so I'll wait to pass any kind of judgement. The word I've kept using for him is 'potential'. Have to reach it though.

I saw the first two quarters against Philly and RG3 was terrible, but similar to Luck that offensive line is just awful - they knew what they were getting though, they essentially sacrificed the O-Line and a couple of other starters to get RG3, and now that he can't run the ball they're getting exposed badly.

It's kinda sad to see the Redskins fanbase capitulate, similar situation to Huoston. It's the same feeling of nothing going to plan we had when we saw what the Rams did to us, only stretched out for the whole season lool

When you are 3-7,  you are done in every division but the NFC East

When you are 3-8, you're done

When you are 3-7,  you are done in every division but the NFC East

When you are 3-8, you're done

They pretty much are 3-8 and done. They are 0-2 vs Philly , so they lose the tiebreaker there. Dallas is 3-0 in the division and the skins are 0-3. So probably lose he tie breaker there also. Thus pretty safe to say that they have to pick up 3 games on two teams with 6 to play. Now throw in the fact that they also trail the Giants and 2 of there 3 out of division games are at Sf and at KC.  Thus , they are pretty much done in even this division. 

He's just like Kapernick (who's also been disappointing).  Defenses figured out the read option and now neither one of them are scary anymore.  

The read option is the only play that made these guys scary.  

Any RG3 or Kapernick highlight reel from last year has maybe a few good throws and about 20 different videos of them going a long way because of the read option.  

No read option and neither one of them are scary anymore.  They are average at best.

Kapernick would have the same record as the Skins if he couldn't count on his offensive line dominating and Frank Gore putting up 100 yards a game.  

Yeah, well most NFL fans saw it coming this year.  He's having troubles with his progressions at times.  Last year's read option he didn't have to make reads on such a complex level.  Now that the read-option fad is over with and teams can stop it, it was just a matter of time before RGIII went through all the growing pains that come with the QB position.  

He doesn't always have trouble with his progressions, but he's inconsistent nonetheless.  And to be honest, they shouldn't have ever been in that game to begin with.  The second TD pass was just up for grabs.  Same thing happenedi n his comeback win over Chicago a month ago.  DB lost it in the sun on an otherwise poorly thrown ball.  The second TD was just a very underthrown ball that the WR tracked and the DB was playing good coverage but couldn't turn aroudn on the ball without having a PI call.  It was at a poitn in the game where he had to take a risk and he got lucky, so you can't really blame him for that.  I will say, thought, that I still don't understand that 3rd and 1 throw at the end of the game.  Too much confidence in his arm to get it out of the back of the endzone?  I dunno, but he had Roy Helu wide open underneath.  Would have been a first down adn there was plenty of time to get to the line and spike it.  Worst case scenario, take the sack, but don't throw it up for grabs.  Might get away with it once, but twice? 

He's just like Kapernick (who's also been disappointing).  Defenses figured out the read option and now neither one of them are scary anymore.  

The read option is the only play that made these guys scary.  

Any RG3 or Kapernick highlight reel from last year has maybe a few good throws and about 20 different videos of them going a long way because of the read option.  

No read option and neither one of them are scary anymore.  They are average at best.

Kapernick would have the same record as the Skins if he couldn't count on his offensive line dominating and Frank Gore putting up 100 yards a game.  

There's a little merit to this although I'd say it's more true for Kaep than Griffin from what I've seen of both.  RG made some mind boggling throws last year even outside of the option and was superb on his ball placement in general.  This year he is just off much of the time, missing some throws he hit 100% of the time last season, and you can't help but feel that there's a substantial mental block of some sort.  Could be the knee, could be something else.

I'd hazard to guess that the hits (in the pocket, mind you) are definitely affecting him as of late and making him even more hesitant as a passer... but many of the hits he takes are strictly a result of how long he's holding the ball trying to locate a target.  Kind of a vicious cycle.

Oh... and Kaep's team is doing better because they have a quality defense.  Our rushing game is probably the best in the league and Morris has been substantially outperforming Gore.

I think he's been down/way down every game, and his stats get a bailout from prevent defense. I don't understand how you're qb can suck so bad with Morris beasting and feasting though 

I doubt you've watched all four quarters of every game, then.  He's been running hot and cold, at times looking like he did last year and at times looking putrid.  Prevent defense didn't lead to the solid quality of QB play against the Lions, Bears, Chargers, and Vikings.

The Redskins have played in a lot of different time slots than the Colts , so I have seen a lot of RG3's games this year. My take would be to agree with what you have above. I think I saw all of the Philly game other than the two Washington TD drives. My take was he was terrible other than that last drive from the 5. He was very good there , just made a desperation throw he maybe didn't have to make. I only mention that game as Philly has been pretty bad vs the pass this and year and RG should have eaten them up considering how good the running game was. 

I only mention the Philly game as I thought he was moving the needle up a bit before that game. But I guess a young QB can go up and down. Going forward , I'm like you ... who knows. IMO , I don't think Shanahan helped him at all. All that stupid SB talk probably added to the already too much pressure on RG3 to perform. He needs to evolve into a more traditional type NFL QB and I wonder if Shanahan has stunted that growth ? 

The first 3 quarters of the Philly game were undoubtedly the worst he's looked this season.  None of the other games even come close.

I think Shanahan approached it the right way with him, honestly.  We have a traditional offense on top of the two read, read option type stuff and Griffin's had plenty of exposure to it.  The extent to which our offense is reduced to a simplified 2-read system in casual conversation is often overstated.  Griffin's level of execution has just been lacking in those areas.  Most of us Skins clearly overestimated his development during season one.  He needed that full offseason and then some to really work out his fluidity going through progressions and reading defenses.

Nonetheless, he should still be performing much better than he is.  As I've said before, he looks and plays like a QB who constantly feels hurried.  His lack of comfort is a stark contrast to his constant composure last season even against HEAVY pressure.

I am so-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o glad we picked Luck over RGIII. It is not only this year but the future seasons the Skins get to look forward to. RG is already throwing darts at the head coach. Good luck Washington.

We said something similar last season.  Things change year-to-year... don't count your NFL chickens before they hatch.

I saw the first two quarters against Philly and RG3 was terrible, but similar to Luck that offensive line is just awful - they knew what they were getting though, they essentially sacrificed the O-Line and a couple of other starters to get RG3, and now that he can't run the ball they're getting exposed badly.

It's kinda sad to see the Redskins fanbase capitulate, similar situation to Huoston. It's the same feeling of nothing going to plan we had when we saw what the Rams did to us, only stretched out for the whole season lool

I'm wondering why RG3 and kaepernick aren't running anymore.

At this point, I would rather have Cam Newton over Luck and RG and maybe even Wilson ....

That's a stretch. With Luck the Colts are 14-2 in one possession games, the Panthers with Newton are 4-14. I want a bigger sample size than 5 games where the Panthers won a game by scoring 10 points.

Griffin still isn't being used as a progression passer. I'm still hesitant to put that on him, but it says something that his coaches aren't installing more pro concepts in the passing game, especially if everyone wants to reduce the amount of contact Griffin is exposed to. If you're going to reduce your read option, why aren't you building on your base offense with more progression based passing?

Griffin can throw, and he can run. I don't know if he's a good pro passer, though he can make pro throws. He doesn't take contact well, given his frame. And he's still young and has a lot of work to do. There's also his repaired knee, which likely isn't 100%. His book isn't written yet, but I don't like the way he's being used or the way he's playing.

I'm happy with our guy, that's for sure. And I do think Newton, Wilson, Tannehill and Kaepernick have at times looked better. Doesn't mean anything about Griffin, though. He's still a skilled player who can be a very good QB. But he has some obstacles to overcome, and two years in, I think the coaching staff is failing him in certain respects.

That's a stretch. With Luck the Colts are 14-2 in one possession games, the Panthers with Newton are 4-14. I want a bigger sample size than 5 games where the Panthers won a game by scoring 10 points.

I get where you are coming from but the Panthers have been terrible in Newton's first two seasons. He looks like a different QB this season because they have had the great defense and run game. I like his physical tools better than the other young Qbs but he does still need to prove the IT factor which he did last night leading the Panthers on the game winning drive in the fourth.

I get where you are coming from but the Panthers have been terrible in Newton's first two seasons. He looks like a different QB this season because they have had the great defense and run game. I like his physical tools better than the other young Qbs but he does still need to prove the IT factor which he did last night leading the Panthers on the game winning drive in the fourth.

IMHO, he needs to prove he understand sthe game. His new OC has done wonders with him, but he also has simplified the playbook. I think we need to see him understand defenses before we call him top QB.

right now, even with less experience, id say luck understands the game better than him.

next year, would be a better sample IMO. We will see if defenses catches up with his new type of O or he keeps punishing them.

IMHO, he needs to prove he understand sthe game. His new OC has done wonders with him, but he also has simplified the playbook. I think we need to see him understand defenses before we call him top QB.

right now, even with less experience, id say luck understands the game better than him.

next year, would be a better sample IMO. We will see if defenses catches up with his new type of O or he keeps punishing them.

This IQ thing I think is overrated. Not that you don't want a guy with high mental capabilities but a good team around the QB goes farther IMO not to mention experience. Right now I would take Newton but let's see how things go the next few seasons ...

If the Panthers have been terrible, why didn't he chuck them over his shoulders and lead them to the play-offs. I know a rookie QB who had a terrible D, and very poor run game. He managed it.  And you think he needs to prove the IT factor? Mmmmm. You don't really prefer him over Luck, do you, you just can't let yourself acknowledge..........oh never mind.

This IQ thing I think is overrated. Not that you don't want a guy with high mental capabilities but a good team around the QB goes farther IMO not to mention experience. Right now I would take Newton but let's see how things go the next few seasons ...

i dont care about iq. i care if he can read defenses, dont mind if he can barely sum :)

i mean, peyton manning does not have half the physical atributes cam does...who would you take?

He's got as big an arm as anyone, he runs well, he's big and athletic... the physical tools are not at question. I think he's doing a great job.

Last night can be his big "I'm here" moment, if he doesn't go backward. He did a good job against a pretty good defense, with the game on the line. 

RGIII is a one-read QB. Plain and simple. I believe that announcers on a game I watched of the Redskins earlier in the season even stated this. He got away with it last year when the read-option confused defenses to the point that his first read was always there (not to mention wide open half the time it seemed), but defenses have adjusted, while RGIII has not. Maybe that's partly on the play-calling, but him openly voicing his frustration with it to the media would make me very alarmed as a Redskins fan.

He has a long way to go, and I definitely would say he is behind every other starting QB of his class, including Tannehill.