Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should TY keep returning punts?

Dudley Smith

Saw this mentioned in another thread and thought it would make for an interesting discussion on its own.

He's done a pretty good job returning punts in his 1 1/2 seasons, but in light of all the other injuries and the fact that he is now our #1 WR since Wayne is out, I personally feel it exposes him to risk of injury unnecessarily. He was drafted to return punts, but not only did Grigson not realize what a good WR he would be at the time, but no one knew he would end up being our #1 on top of it (for at least this season anyway). I think he is too valuable to have back there returning punts.

If TY were to get injured our WR core would go from bad to horrendous at this point. Obviously, he is not injury-risk-free playing WR, but the punt returns definitely open him up to bigger hits and more hits.

Dudley;

I think Ty should return kickoffs and puints...

I know its dangerous...but I think you need to give playmakers a chance...especially late in close games......

Returning kickoffs is dangerous (returning punts really isn't) but putting an inferior player who you know wont break one back there just to avoid injury..to me...is beating yourself..

Dudley;

I think Ty should return kickoffs and puints...

I know its dangerous...but I think you need to give playmakers a chance...especially late in close games......

Returning kickoffs is dangerous (returning punts really isn't) but putting an inferior player who you know wont break one back there just to avoid injury..to me...is beating yourself..

I understand your side of the argument. And you make good points. I just cringe every time he takes a big hit on those punt returns...

I don't think you risk him back there. Especially with our WR corp depleted as it is. I cringed every time we put Garcon back there, and I cringe every time Hilton is back there. 

If they want to risk a receiver, throw DHB back there and get some use of his speed.

DHB brick hands > Reed's ineptitude/decision making skills 

No. Because he's not really making a difference returning them, and it's only risking a core WR.

Exactly. If he were breaking out for some good returns every once in a while, maybe you could say those gains are worth the risk. But he's not, because the blocking on our return units is dreadful. It's not worth the occasional 15 yard return to have our #1 receiver back there.

And besides, I think Brazill is nearly as good a punt returner as Hilton is, and if you get him reps back there, he can be dangerous.

No. Not now and not once we have better receivers to complement him. He is a big time playmaker and we need to do what it takes to keep him on the field, both now and in the future. We should draft/pick up/use someone else who isn't as integral a part of our offense and our success

Exactly. If he were breaking out for some good returns every once in a while, maybe you could say those gains are worth the risk. But he's not, because the blocking on our return units is dreadful. It's not worth the occasional 15 yard return to have our #1 receiver back there.

And besides, I think Brazill is nearly as good a punt returner as Hilton is, and if you get him reps back there, he can be dangerous.

Agreed. Brazill is perfect for the role