Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will The Colts 2011 Defense Show Signs of Improvement?

coltsuser21

Will The 2011 Colts Defence Show Signs Of Improvement???

I think so far we did good this is why:

1.We drafted D-lineman Drake Nevis and CB Chris Rucker(I Think They said he will be a starter)

2.Jerry Hughes is now a 2nd Year DE and learned from Mathis and Freeney Last year so we should have a good combo at DE(Freeney,Mathis,and Hughes)

2.We re-signed our starting saftey Melvin Bullitt(Remember we went to SuperBowl 2010 with him starting at Free Saftey beside Antoine Bethea

3.All of our Cornersbacks are healthy now not injured(Hayden,Lacey,Tyron,Powers)

4.Antoine Bethea our starting Strong Saftey is playing the best football of his Career(most underrated saftey in NFL)

5.Our linebackers look better than last year (bracket not injured)

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO DO NEXT ON DEFENSE

6.I think we need to re-sign Clint Session(he is a proven starter and is good)

7.i think we need to sign maybe a DT? YOUR THOUGHTS????????

:sarcasm::coltsfb::flowers: hopefully :coltslogo: :FBrolleyes: :FBlipsealed: :FBembarrassed: :FBshocked: :FBtongue:

???

Injuries are something you can't predict. When healthy, we have one of the top 5 scoring defenses in the NFL. However, last year, we weren't healthy at all. We certainly have the potential to be one of the better defenses in the NFL; I think the Colts D will be improved, but not in the same group as the defenses of Green Bay, Pittsburgh and NY Jets

At best Nevis won't have an impact until late in the year, and thats at best. Powers won't get beat out by Chris Rucker, and Tryon was really a good pickup to play that nickle spot.

Now as for the defense being better... maybe. We had a ton of injuries last season, and that would really make this group deep, if we cept most of them around. I can't see our run defense getting better if we let Antonio Johnson/Daniel Muir both walk, and not pick up a guy. I would also be very disappointing to see Session leave. I think his best games are still to come and to drop a 3rd on him and to let him walk would be a travesty. Besides Freeney/Mathis/Bethea(honorable mention; Powers/Brackett)hes the only guy left on that level in the group.

Showing improvement in the secondary, yes... But aside from Hughs making a bigger impact, the defense as a whole... I can't see it showing signs of improving as it stands.

Showing improvement in the secondary, yes... But aside from Hughs making a bigger impact, the defense as a whole... I can't see it showing signs of improving as it stands.

That's why they call it "opinion". I have faith in the colts coaches, I always do. ;) life is better when things are thought of "glass half full", than half empty.

That's why they call it "opinion". I have faith in the colts coaches, I always do. ;) life is better when things are thought of "glass half full", than half empty.

Yes it is an opinion and I too have some faith in the colts coaches. Realistically, they haven't improved. We are all fans here and don't like to hear our team knocked, but this is from one Colts fan to another. Adding a 3rd round DT, and a 5-6th round Corner(I can't remember the round atm)and loosing key components and starters, as it stands the Colts have not progressed defensively. Sorry :/

Every year we say our Defense is going to get better. Every year i'm disappointed. Yeah, we re-signed Bullitt, and our secondary is stable (and cheap), but our LBs and DTs are weak. We need a strong mean and dirty presence in the MLB spot. Not to down grade Brackett, he's good, but I don't believe it's been enough for the team. We need a Brian Urlacher type MLB that will pump up the Defense and get them screaming and howling. I'd like to see the LB corp play with more intensity. If we want to keep Brackett as the leader that's fine, but we need to truly supplement him with 2 OLBs that are tackle machines, especially against the run. The have to be fast and efficient all over the field. Players like the Cowboys Dat Nguyen from a couple of years ago, where you'd see him all over the field making tackles. These guys are usually undersized, but come cheap. We would have to stock pile them. As for DT's I saw improvement from Fili Moala, but who else do we have to back him up? Our DT's should be all about the run defense, and let the DE's worry about the sacks. It's unfortunate that we have to spend most of our money on the Offense, but I accept that.

Doubt it's gonna get any better. If we don't do some kind of upgrading at DT we're going to have a severely sub-par run defense yet again.

For like the 95th consecutive year.

We can live without Session. We don't want to, but we can. Conner showed he may be the next Session last year, and Angerer showed the same, though I think Angerer would be better served in the middle. He shows some flashes of Ray Lewis and Urlacher IMO, and he could become a great MLB. I don't think he's as strong on the outside.

Our secondary is a huge question mark. Yeah, we've got a bunch of good pieces. But it doesn't matter what pieces you have when you give the cushions we do.

Powers needs to stay healthy all season. He's no doubt our best corner. Lots of potential in the kid.

Hayden needs to get his crap together, because it's been quite a while since he has produced to warrant his contract. He needs to get healthy, and get back to earning that "best cover 2 corner in the game" moniker, and not just riding it.

Tryon is an amazing mechanic. He's most effective in the nickel/dime, can go outside from time to time, and is a player that, when on the field, you don't worry about him being an issue.

Lacey had a good rookie season, but it's like he let that go to his head last year and forgot to follow up on it.Another season like he had last year and he may be out of a job by the first of December.

Bethea has become The Rock. One of the best at his position. Lets hope injuries don't slow him down.

Bullitt has earned his chance to be the starter on the opposite side of Bethea. Safety play has LONG been the strongpoint of our secondary, and Bullitt needs to play at a high level to keep that up. I'm willing to bet he can, but you just never know, especially after a player like him spends the majority of the year on IR...

Doubt it's gonna get any better. If we don't do some kind of upgrading at DT we're going to have a severely sub-par run defense yet again.

For like the 95th consecutive year.

We can live without Session. We don't want to, but we can. Conner showed he may be the next Session last year, and Angerer showed the same, though I think Angerer would be better served in the middle. He shows some flashes of Ray Lewis and Urlacher IMO, and he could become a great MLB. I don't think he's as strong on the outside.

Our secondary is a huge question mark. Yeah, we've got a bunch of good pieces. But it doesn't matter what pieces you have when you give the cushions we do.

Powers needs to stay healthy all season. He's no doubt our best corner. Lots of potential in the kid.

Hayden needs to get his crap together, because it's been quite a while since he has produced to warrant his contract. He needs to get healthy, and get back to earning that "best cover 2 corner in the game" moniker, and not just riding it.

Tryon is an amazing mechanic. He's most effective in the nickel/dime, can go outside from time to time, and is a player that, when on the field, you don't worry about him being an issue.

Lacey had a good rookie season, but it's like he let that go to his head last year and forgot to follow up on it.Another season like he had last year and he may be out of a job by the first of December.

Bethea has become The Rock. One of the best at his position. Lets hope injuries don't slow him down.

Bullitt has earned his chance to be the starter on the opposite side of Bethea. Safety play has LONG been the strongpoint of our secondary, and Bullitt needs to play at a high level to keep that up. I'm willing to bet he can, but you just never know, especially after a player like him spends the majority of the year on IR...

Excellent post!

Considering there (hopefully) won't be all the injuries that we had last year, we will have a better defense. I personally feel our defense can be really good if we keep Session and sign a DT like Mebane, but this problem with Peyton's contract is gonna make that difficult. Regardless, I'm still optimistic about this season.