Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

John Elway Syndrome - Stan Luck

Would it not be a bad joke should the Colts get a shot at Luck only to have him refuse the offer after seeing what the Colts are without a QB? Oh-h-h-h-h the humanity. Remember David Carr, how he was destroyed in Houston with no pass protection.

Who the heck is Stan Luck?

Would it not be a bad joke should the Colts get a shot at Luck only to have him refuse the offer after seeing what the Colts are without a QB? Oh-h-h-h-h the humanity. Remember David Carr, how he was destroyed in Houston with no pass protection.

No what you do is draft him and tell him that he will sit and not play or get paid and make other teams pay a kings ransom for him.

It's like the Bengals with Carson Palmer. Palmer made all of these threats and you thought that the Bengals would get nothing. However, by the Bengals playing hard ball, Palmer's value went back up.

Edited by GoGoColts

OP -- You mean Andrew Luck, Stan Luck is the homeless unLucky guy across the street. Andrew Luck would come to Indy in a heartbeat, we've made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years, plus he has PM to watch and become friends with for the next couple of years then he'll take over the job.

I am no expert by any means,,, just your average joe..

But..if it were me, I would trade the pick in a heart beat. If anything, this year has shown us we need several pieces on this team. Getting the first overall pick would give us an unparalleled opportunity to fix many of the holes on this team.

Especially since this is a passing league and the QB position is soo important in today's game.. teams would be falling over themselves trying to get Luck. I say we go for broke and try to get as many SB as we can while Manning is still able to play. The leans years will come...it's inevitable..

So, why dont we enjoy what we have now..take all the opportunities that are before us, and win now, with Manning?

Yes, Luck "might" be a future hall of famer, he "might" one day be as good as Manning (I doubt that) But once again.. it is "might".. we dont know anything..we dont know if he will be able to play at a high level in the NFL. We know Manning can..so why dont we get as many draft picks as humanly possible and shoot for the moon NOW?

It just seems like the more logical thing to do to me.. but as I said, I am not an expert by any means.. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

I don't want luck.I prefer KIRK COUSINS' from 'MSU'.He's a colt type of guy and can be gotten later in the draft.I prefer to keep painter,but i think we'll trade him for picks next year.I think teams will have an interest in him(curtis).I don't want painter to waste his talent on the bench.He could be a star in this league.

I don't want luck.I prefer KIRK COUSINS' from 'MSU'.He's a colt type of guy and can be gotten later in the draft.I prefer to keep painter,but i think we'll trade him for picks next year.I think teams will have an interest in him(curtis).I don't want painter to waste his talent on the bench.He could be a star in this league.

Dear God - what do you think the Colts can get for Painter? A bag of donuts or a warm bucket of spit?

Secondly, why would you trade him at all? He now has value to the Colts.

Dear God - what do you think the Colts can get for Painter? A bag of donuts or a warm bucket of spit?

Secondly, why would you trade him at all? He now has value to the Colts.

After all is said and done,he'll(painter)will bring similiar value as kolb did for the eagles.Yes,he has value for the colts...now,but we just happen to have a legend at that position.He'll be traded for picks.

OP -- You mean Andrew Luck, Stan Luck is the homeless unLucky guy across the street. Andrew Luck would come to Indy in a heartbeat, we've made it to the playoffs 9 out of the last 10 years, plus he has PM to watch and become friends with for the next couple of years then he'll take over the job.

There is absolutely no way to know that. Luck is also a competitor and since he's considered "the most NFL ready QB in XXXX years" he may want to play right away, like most #1 overall QB's do. I'm not saying he would refuse to come here, but there's also no way to say he wouldn't.

There is absolutely no way to know that. Luck is also a competitor and since he's considered "the most NFL ready QB in XXXX years" he may want to play right away, like most #1 overall QB's do. I'm not saying he would refuse to come here, but there's also no way to say he wouldn't.

No kidding. When part of your argument is that Luck wants to come to Indy to be friends with Manning, it probably means the point should be immediately discounted as gibberish.

After all is said and done,he'll(painter)will bring similiar value as kolb did for the eagles.Yes,he has value for the colts...now,but we just happen to have a legend at that position.He'll be traded for picks.

Oh god! Now I know to ignore your posts like I do Jim's.

"similar value as Kolb did"? What are you smoking? And can you get me some?

No not funny, pathetic. Pathetic because he might not want to come here, I wouldn't want to sit behind Manning for 4 years...."learning"

what a joke

This should be in the NFL draft section anyways

you dont wanna get paid for doing nothing?

I wouldn't say Luck doesn't want to come here just because he can't start. Where else in the league could he have the same opportunity to learn from a guy like Peyton? I think it was Michael Irvin who once said that Peyton is the only player in the NFL (he might have said history of the NFL, I can't remember) to have his intelligence and be on the field at the same time. Why wouldn't Luck want to learn from one of the most cerebral and accomplished QBs ever?

So Kevin Kolb is doing SO well for the Cardinals that NFL teams will be burning up Bill Polian's phone trying to duplicate Arizona's mistake?

A 6'2" starting CB who's already been to a Pro Bowl and a 2nd round pick?

Look.....we're all happy that Painter is playing pretty well and shows incremental progress as the season moves along....but I doubt we'd even get a 5th round pick for Curtis. And THAT is probably being optimisitic.

Whatever credibility you had is quickly going away.

Whatever credibility you had is quickly going away.

I doubt very much he ever had any.

So Kevin Kolb is doing SO well for the Cardinals that NFL teams will be burning up Bill Polian's phone trying to duplicate Arizona's mistake?

A 6'2" starting CB who's already been to a Pro Bowl and a 2nd round pick?

Look.....we're all happy that Painter is playing pretty well and shows incremental progress as the season moves along....but I doubt we'd even get a 5th round pick for Curtis. And THAT is probably being optimisitic.

I don't think this is as farfetched as some are making it out to be. Now Curtisthekid is reaching to say a deal similar to the deal for Kolb, but that doesn't mean some team might express interest in Painter if Painter continues to play well, and especially if he can improve his completion percentage. We could wind up getting some sort of value for him from a team that misses out on one of the top 3 QB's in the draft and doesn't want to spend time developing one of the later round QBs. Painter could provide them with an already groomed young QB that they could start right away.

The whole idea made me curious so I decided to pull some stats. Kolb and Cassel are the 2 most recent examples of backup QB's who stepped in and played well which resulted in them being traded and now they're full time starters. So I got their stats for how they played with their old teams which lead to them being traded, and then also pulled their stats from this year and compared with Painter and some of the other young franchise QB's.

QB Team Comp. Att % Yards ypc ypg TD INT QB Rating

Matt Cassell '08 NE 327 516 63.4 3,693 7.2 230.8 21 11 89.4

Kevin Kolb '09-'10Phi 177 285 62.1 1,938 10.9 161.5 11 10

Andy Dalton Cin 118 189 62.4 1,311 6.9 218.5 7 5 84.3

Colt McCoy Cle 121 217 55.8 1,199 5.5 239.8 8 3 78.1

Joe Flacco Bal 89 173 51.4 1,278 7.4 255.6 7 4 79.6

Matt Ryan Atl 134 218 61.5 1,465 6.7 244.2 8 6 82.1

Mark Sanchez NYJ 111 198 56.1 1,372 6.9 228.7 9 5 82.3

Matt Cassell KC 93 140 66.4 945 6.8 189 8 5 89.7

Kevin Kolb Ari 101 172 58.7 1,281 7.4 256.2 5 6 77.2

Curtis Painter Ind 56 102 54.9 806 7.9 201.5 5 1 93.0

Yeah it's still very early in the season and Curtis could have a complete meltdown, but if he doesn't and he continues to play well and even can improve then it's certainly possible some team could offer something for him.

I don't think this is as farfetched as some are making it out to be. Now Curtisthekid is reaching to say a deal similar to the deal for Kolb, but that doesn't mean some team might express interest in Painter if Painter continues to play well, and especially if he can improve his completion percentage. We could wind up getting some sort of value for him from a team that misses out on one of the top 3 QB's in the draft and doesn't want to spend time developing one of the later round QBs. Painter could provide them with an already groomed young QB that they could start right away.

The whole idea made me curious so I decided to pull some stats. Kolb and Cassel are the 2 most recent examples of backup QB's who stepped in and played well which resulted in them being traded and now they're full time starters. So I got their stats for how they played with their old teams which lead to them being traded, and then also pulled their stats from this year and compared with Painter and some of the other young franchise QB's.

Yeah it's still very early in the season and Curtis could have a complete meltdown, but if he doesn't and he continues to play well and even can improve then it's certainly possible some team could offer something for him.

Painter is doing a decent job and seems to be improving a bit each week....but I still think a 5th rounder is the best we'd ever see in a trade offer.

Kevin Kolb's trade price, so far, looks like a terrible over reach by Arizona GM Rod Graves. And Kolb has Larry Fitzgerald to pass the ball to with RB Beanie Wells having his best season as a pro....and they're still 1-4.

But hey...if Polian can filch a starting player and a 2nd round pick by trading Painter after this season, he's got my vote.

I doubt very much he ever had any.

And what makes you this all world expert?The vast majority of you on here(you included)thought painter was the worst quarterback in the league(he isn't and its not even close).He's actually a surprising star for us and that's him controlling and directing an offense that simply isn't build/nor designed for him.

I totally agree with you.He's not perfect,but has made great strides within an offense entirely built for one player(manning).Yes,if his CP% can get up over 60,then without question he'll have trade value with his numbers.