Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

AllYouNeedIsLuck

He has 6 sacks but the Bills blitz a lot and having Marcel Dareus and Mario helps. The couple of games i watched he's been terrible against the run, not holding contain and when he's asked to drop in coverage he's been bad. We made the right decision on trading Hughes just for the wrong player. Sheppard has been awful should have went after a offensive linemen.

#8 ranked OLB in the league according to PFF ... even if you don't completely agree with PFF's method and hes #10 or even #15 thats still a top OLB.  The Bills got the better of that trade, we should have kept him until Werner got up to speed.

Funny how players can flourish or struggle with different teams, & different situations...

Hughes was a perennial whipping boy around these parts from the moment he was drafted, & many were glad to get as much as a bag of Cheetos & a can of pop out of a trade for him...

& now with hindsight we should of kept him...

Amazing...

I wish the Colts would've kept Giordano, Jennings, & Hayden...

Can you imagine the Colts with that defensive backfield!!!

Colts fans for the most part were thrilled when we dumped him so I would say most of us would have made the same trade Grigson did for him at the time so come back and be upset with us getting ride of him is not true to how most fans have felt about this subject up till now.

Just because the fans wanted it doesn't mean Grigson did not mess up up by actually doing it.  If Werner does not work out and Hughes maintains anything close to his current level of play it will be an epic fail.

I like Grigson, and am in no way suggesting we should get rid of him or that he isn't doing a great job (for the most part) .... BUT he is starting accumulate his share of marks in the bad decision column. Enough so that people should not have the almost blind faith in every move Grigson & the front office make that many seem to have. 

I knew if the title of this thread, wasn't followed with the posted set up to the joke I would be disappointed. Good for Jerry, good for the Bills....my disappointment isn't the trade with Hughes, he is a one trick pony, as is his counterpart Sheppard (I haven't figured out what Sheppard's one trick is, but he has to be good at something) My disappointment really lies in our theme park turnstyle offensive line, its helped marketing....sure, we know exactly how many have passed through each turnstyle on their way to #12, but it seems  the park never closes......

I was disappointed we traded him, we had a lack of proven pass rushers and he showed he could produce well for being in a rotation...Looks to have improved his technique some to...Oh well it is what it is

I was in favor of moving him out of here. I think that many times a change of scenery can help a player. I think it was a good move for Jerry. I think we got Shepard in return. From what I've seen of him he isn't good. I'm being kind. So, Buffalo got the better end of the deal but I really don't think Jerry would have played well here had he stayed.

As much as we (myself included) all wanted Jerry out of town, I'm unpleasantly surprised he's doing well in Buffalo. 

Like Gavin said, he's a one trick pony (just like Freeney was) and great at rushing the passer, but when dropping back into coverage he is lost and against the run he's weak. 

Oh well, maybe Sheppard can hand Gatorade out on the sidelines? 

Jerry had 1 less sack than $14M Freeney last year. Lots of pressures and 40+ tackles as a rotation player.

A good season in his 1st year in a system he learned quickly in.

*s here wouldn`t give him the time of day, the kind of people that were Shouting what a wonderful Pro-Bowl player Castonzo was becoming. When as Simple as could get, we were running much more (NO pass blocking needed There) and Andrew was throwing 90% of his passes within 15 yards. NOT holding onto the ball. And Andrew had ran for 30% of our rushing yards thru 2 games.

Castonzo was who we knew he was. A RT.

Is anybody actually watching Hughes play? Is he getting legit sacks or are they mainly scheme sacks/unblocked sacks, etc.

Everybody was talking up janoris Jenkins last season and every highlight I saw last season his receiver fell down or there was a a WR/QB mix up and the ball was thrown right to him.

having luck at qb is covering up mistakes made by the front office. if luck weren't here and the colts were losing, posters would be destroying some of the moves that have been made and you would be seeing all the "trust in grigson and pagano" posts.

i don't think hughes fit the 4-3 system, and he wasn't given much of a chance to see what he could do in the new 3-4. bp was hoping he could add some size and become another mathis or freeney, but it wasn't going to happen.

As much as we (myself included) all wanted Jerry out of town, I'm unpleasantly surprised he's doing well in Buffalo. 

Like Gavin said, he's a one trick pony (just like Freeney was) and great at rushing the passer, but when dropping back into coverage he is lost and against the run he's weak. 

Oh well, maybe Sheppard can hand Gatorade out on the sidelines? 

this is just part of a season, what will he do in the future?

Jerry had 1 less sack than $14M Freeney last year. Lots of pressures and 40+ tackles as a rotation player.

A good season in his 1st year in a system he learned quickly in.

*s here wouldn`t give him the time of day, the kind of people that were Shouting what a wonderful Pro-Bowl player Castonzo was becoming. When as Simple as could get, we were running much more (NO pass blocking needed There) and Andrew was throwing 90% of his passes within 15 yards. NOT holding onto the ball. And Andrew had ran for 30% of our rushing yards thru 2 games.

Castonzo was who we knew he was. A RT.

this makes no sense

Is anybody actually watching Hughes play? Is he getting legit sacks or are they mainly scheme sacks/unblocked sacks, etc.

Everybody was talking up janoris Jenkins last season and every highlight I saw last season his receiver fell down or there was a a WR/QB mix up and the ball was thrown right to him.

Legitimate. He's getting tons of pressure as well. Basically at the same rate as Mathis.

How quickly we all forget how bad Jerry Hughes was with us. He's had a solid first half of the year in a stacked Buffalo Bills defense. That's great for him. If he stayed here he would have been the same old crappy Jerry Hughes.

I'm not upset that we traded Hughes, I'm just upset we got Sheppard in exchange. I would have rather we just cut Hughes, to be honest. I'm really tired of these coaches putting Sheppard and Harvey in the game over Kavell Conner. It makes absolutely zero sense. Why have they burn noticed you Conner, why???

How quickly we all forget how bad Jerry Hughes was with us. He's had a solid first half of the year in a stacked Buffalo Bills defense. That's great for him. If he stayed here he would have been the same old crappy Jerry Hughes.

I'm not upset that we traded Hughes, I'm just upset we got Sheppard in exchange. I would have rather we just cut Hughes, to be honest. I'm really tired of these coaches putting Sheppard and Harvey in the game over Kavell Conner. It makes absolutely zero sense. Why have they burn noticed you Conner, why???

Jerry Hughes was fine last year as a rotational pass rusher. I'd rather have kept him than traded for Sheppard. It's not like he would have been a difference maker on our team, of course (maybe in the Chargers game, when every linebacker was bad, but he probably would have been bad right along with them). I don't think we're worse off without him. I just think he would have been more valuable to us than Sheppard has been.

Legitimate. He's getting tons of pressure as well. Basically at the same rate as Mathis.

Is he sealing the edge and stopping the run? Cause walden is doing a pretty darn good job of it. I'd still take walden and Werner over Hughes. But for sheppard? Yuck!

Is he sealing the edge and stopping the run? Cause walden is doing a pretty darn good job of it. I'd still take walden and Werner over Hughes. But for sheppard? Yuck!

Thing is, we had to live without Werner for a few games. Sidbury got hurt. We really only have one veteran pass rusher. He's doing an amazing job, and Werner and Walden have gotten some pressure. But I think we could have used Hughes as our 3rd/4th OLB, kept Werner backing up Mathis at Rush, and been better up front. Of course, we didn't know Sidbury would be injured.

Thing is, we had to live without Werner for a few games. Sidbury got hurt. We really only have one veteran pass rusher. He's doing an amazing job, and Werner and Walden have gotten some pressure. But I think we could have used Hughes as our 3rd/4th OLB, kept Werner backing up Mathis at Rush, and been better up front. Of course, we didn't know Sidbury would be injured.

Yeah I think Sidbury going down is what hurt. Would if been nice with two speed guys Mathis/Hughes and 2 bulls walden/Werner. Win some lose some. Good to see he's getting it together.

PFF gives him a run defense grade of +3.6 fwiw. Higher than every LB our roster.