Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed Released by Texans

lollygagger8

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This lack of arm strength thing is straight up stupid. He threw the ball with the same velocity at the combine as Joe Flacco, and he did it with a pulled hamstring. Does Flacco have a weak arm?

Please never post that Keenum has a weak arm again, because it's garbage.

Yeah .. sure that's why Flacco went in the first and Keenum didn't get drafted. He had a horrible combine and if he didn't have a pop gun for an arm , a workout later on would have at least got him drafted. But hey... guys like Pennington have had decent careers with that kind of arm.

They said Tom Brady's arm was crap before the Draft too, but he turned out fine. Now he is regarded as having more than adequate arm strength and zip though he certainly isn't known as having the biggest arm. You don't have to be JaMarcus Russell to succeed in the NFL thank goodness.

Nothing about disliking. He got benched by the Texans for being bad, then criticized the coaching and got cut for it. There is nothing left in the tank, and anyone who signs him is just being played for money like he played the Texans.

Sjky you cale dit

..but I still don't believe he wasnt cut because the Texans are 2-7 and its over for them,

Why pay him

There is no question Balt, NE or Dallas will grab him up

Don't know about the "easily" part. There is usually a reason that a smart kid with great production and a good attitude does not get drafted. In his case it's he's very limited due to size and arm strength. IMO , what you will see is defenses scheming better and better on him . The lanes that he rolls out into will be cut off and he'll be forced to make plays from the pocket. Brees , at the same size does it by sliding into lanes where he can see the filed and he has a very strong arm to deliver the ball. Keenam on the other hand has had most of his success slipping outside the pocket and keeping plays alive . hard to make a living doing that and I just think his lack of arm strength will end up relegating him to a great back up . Nice story though and certainly a guy you would pull for. 

Yes, a QB being undrafted can mean a number of things: He never got much publicity or recognition at college meaning that the university in question didn't have a massive broadcasting contract ESPN etc. Perhaps Case Keenum never got a chance too get many game or practice reps in favor of the starting field general. Brett Favre, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, & Aaron Rogers were not high draft picks either & look how they turned out. Translation: It's all about the right system, HC, & coaching staff. [All speculation on my part, but nevertheless I think Case Keenum has the potential to be a star in this league.] Case makes you believe a TD is just a few drives away. SW1 loves an underdog story. Case is no fluke IMO. Sure, he will have to adapt to what defenses do, but so does every field general in this game. 

Yes, a QB being undrafted can mean a number of things: He never got much publicity or recognition at college meaning that the university in question didn't have a massive broadcasting contract ESPN etc. Perhaps Case Keenum never got a chance too get many game or practice reps in favor of the starting field general. Brett Favre, Tony Romo, Tom Brady, & Aaron Rogers were not high draft picks either & look how they turned out. Translation: It's all about the right system, HC, & coaching staff. [All speculation on my part, but nevertheless I think Case Keenum has the potential to be a star in this league.] Case makes you believe a TD is just a few drives away. SW1 loves an underdog story. Case is no fluke IMO. Sure, he will have to adapt to what defenses do, but so does every field general in this game.

Case broke records at University of Houston, but his short stature, lack of arm strength, and other physical shortcomings that were displayed in what was a really bad combine for him, basically made him Russel Wilson without the upside, so he fell completely out of the draft and was projected as a career backup.

Case broke records at University of Houston, but his short stature, lack of arm strength, and other physical shortcomings that were displayed in what was a really bad combine for him, basically made him Russel Wilson without the upside, so he fell completely out of the draft and was projected as a career backup.

Russel Wilson with no upside? You are aware that the same remarks were made about Drew Brees as a Boiler Maker right? Too short to see over the line, scrambled around a lot, & his success at the professional level was frequently questioned right? He won a SB in 2009 against the Colts as I recall. Where you may see flaws in Case Keenum, Russell Wilson, & Drew Brees I see uncanny similarities: Quiet confidence in the huddle, the ability to generate positive yardage out of nothing, incredibly accuracy with the ball, & the ability to make the defense believe that if we get him the ball back we can climb out of any hole. 

I also think of 3 guys with rocket arms namely Jeff George, Dan Marino, & Jim Kelly & zero SB rings too so I don't put much stock in arm strength personally. JMO. 

Is arm strength nice to have? Sure, but it's not mandatory like precision accuracy is. I will admit that Case didn't have the best combine, but I've never been impressed by anyone in a t-shirt & shorts personally. Put some pads on in a game situation & let's see what you do on the field. 

Yeah .. sure that's why Flacco went in the first and Keenum didn't get drafted. He had a horrible combine and if he didn't have a pop gun for an arm , a workout later on would have at least got him drafted. But hey... guys like Pennington have had decent careers with that kind of arm.

haha wow, you are sad.

Why does this have to be a family forum? Gosh.

Russel Wilson with no upside? You are aware that the same remarks were made about Drew Brees as a Boiler Maker right? Too short to see over the line, scrambled around a lot, & his success at the professional level was frequently questioned right? He won a SB in 2009 against the Colts as I recall. Where you may see flaws in Case Keenum, Russell Wilson, & Drew Brees I see uncanny similarities: Quiet confidence in the huddle, the ability to generate positive yardage out of nothing, incredibly accuracy with the ball, & the ability to make the defense believe that if we get him the ball back we can climb out of any hole. 

Yes a QB going undrafted can mean different things. The reason Keenum went undrafted has very little to do with what you have above. Infact I can barely understand what point you are trying to make. Guys get drafted in the first round from small schools every year. What does a massive broadcasting contract mean to NFL GM's ? 

BTW... Rodgers was a first round pick and Favre a second , how you equate that with Case Keenum not being drafted is another one I must be missing. Brady had a good arm coming out of college but scouts were very weary of his skinny frame and figured his obvious shunning of the weight room may have meant he was lazy. Also there was the question of him holding up and taking the pounding. Romo was a small school guy with a good arm that did indeed fall under the radar.

That said , I'm not saying he can't make it . I'm just  of the opinion that his poor arm will probably mean he'll be a back up or an average NFL QB at best. You mention four guys in your post for us to compare him with and the only negative thing that they have in common with Keenum is two of them are short. None have the arm limitations that he has. Can he overcome it with  his intelligence , desire and leadership ? I don't know , I just don't see too many guys 6' with a poor arm dominating the NFL.

haha wow, you are sad.

Why does this have to be a family forum? Gosh.

Vance , it will take a lot more than a 6' guy that runs a 4.8 and has an arm like my Aunt Tilly to help that 2-7 mess that you support. BTW... I'm not sad , I'm happy as a lark. 

I think it's a little too early to make short dink & dunk intermediary Chad Pennington comparisons just yet. True, I haven't seen that much of Case yet & when I like a kid & think they have the it factor, I am loyal to a fault. SW1 will acknowledge that.  ;)

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, November 13, 2013 - rude
Hidden by Nadine, November 13, 2013 - rude

Vance , it will take a lot more than a 6' guy that runs a 4.8 and has an arm like my Aunt Tilly to help that 2-7 mess that you support. BTW... I'm not sad , I'm happy as a lark. 

haha, troll. Get away from me, you smell.

I think it's a little too early to make short dink & dunk intermediary Chad Pennington comparisons just yet. True, I haven't seen that much of Case yet & when I like a kid & think they have the it factor, I am loyal to a fault. SW1 will acknowledge that.  ;)

Actually Pennington had a nice career before all the shoulder injuries. Plus he was a drafted in the 1st round to boot.

Anyway.. fact is I just was throwing a few digs around for the benefit of that Houston troll patrolling our board. I really hope the kid makes it and he does have some great qualities. I mean you can't really hope that every player in the Colts' division implodes. He a nice kid that has a lot to overcome and I hope he can do it. I just don't see too many guys with his skill set excel in the NFL.

Yes a QB going undrafted can mean different things. The reason Keenum went undrafted has very little to do with what you have above. Infact I can barely understand what point you are trying to make. Guys get drafted in the first round from small schools every year. What does a massive broadcasting contract mean to NFL GM's ? 

Alabama players, Miami U players, & Notre Dame players all have premium broadcasting deals. Trust me, that Natl. exposure is a huge deal. Yes, players can get drafted from anywhere, but greater exposure means more scouts visiting campus, a higher draft slot, & more money don't kid yourself. This isn't Kindergarden. I didn't realize all bloggers on here needed a follow the breadcrumbs reasoning map. 

BTW... Rodgers was a first round pick and Favre a second , how you equate that with Case Keenum not being drafted is another one I must be missing. Brady had a good arm coming out of college but scouts were very weary of his skinny frame and figured his obvious shunning of the weight room may have meant he was lazy. Also there was the question of him holding up and taking the pounding. Romo was a small school guy with a good arm that did indeed fall under the radar.

Roders went very low in the 1st round & nobody knew who in the hades Brett Favre was until Mike Holmgren traded for in Green Bay. Case Keenum went undrafted & so did Tony Romo. All these QBs were largely ignored at the beginning of their NFL careers at least until the fought the right HC who took a chance on them [Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy, Bill Parcells, & Gary Kubiak.]

That said , I'm not saying he can't make it . I'm just  of the opinion that his poor arm will probably mean he'll be a back up or an average NFL QB at best. You mention four guys in your post for us to compare him with and the only negative thing that they have in common with Keenum is two of them are short. None have the arm limitations that he has. Can he overcome it with  his intelligence , desire and leadership ? I don't know , I just don't see too many guys 6' with a poor arm dominating the NFL.

Arm strength & a lack of height are 2 of the most common misconceptions about what it takes to be a successful NFL QB to me. Are QBs asked to throw hail marys or flea flickers constantly? No. But, they are required to convert on 3rd down, go through their progressions, use their legs, throw screens against the blitz, & manipulate the safety properly all things that Case Keenum can already do. 

Actually Pennington had a nice career before all the shoulder injuries. Plus he was a drafted in the 1st round to boot.

Anyway.. fact is I just was throwing a few digs around for the benefit of that Houston troll patrolling our board. I really hope the kid makes it and he does have some great qualities. I mean you can't really hope that every player in the Colts' division implodes. He a nice kid that has a lot to overcome and I hope he can do it. I just don't see too many guys with his skill set excel in the NFL.

We aren't talking about Tim Tebow here buddy.  :lol:  :funny:  lmao  Case Keenum can actually pass the ball accurately & consistently. Just Kidding! 

They said Tom Brady's arm was crap before the Draft too, but he turned out fine. Now he is regarded as having more than adequate arm strength and zip though he certainly isn't known as having the biggest arm. You don't have to be JaMarcus Russell to succeed in the NFL thank goodness.

Brady looked more like a Biafra warrior than he did an NFL QB. I think that more than questionable arm strength drove him into the 6th round. They figured he was lazy (no weight room) and couldn't take an NFL pounding. Your guy does have a below average arm and is small to boot. So that means he can't stay in the pocket and drive the ball down field. He will be most effective rolling out. Hopefully that won't make it too tough for him to excel.

Alabama players, Miami U players, & Notre Dame players all have premium broadcasting deals. Trust me, that Natl. exposure is a huge deal. Yes, players can get drafted from anywhere, but greater exposure means more scouts visiting campus, a higher draft slot, & more money don't kid yourself. This isn't Kindergarden. I didn't realize all bloggers on here needed a follow the breadcrumbs reasoning map. 

Roders went very low in the 1st round & nobody knew who in the hades Brett Favre was until Mike Holmgren traded for in Green Bay. Case Keenum went undrafted & so did Tony Romo. All these QBs were largely ignored at the beginning of their NFL careers at least until the fought the right HC who took a chance on them [Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy, Bill Parcells, & Gary Kubiak.]

ine.Are QBs asked to throw hail marys or flea flickers constantly? No. But, they are required to convert on 3rd down, go through their progressions, use their legs, throw screens against the blitz, & manipulate the safety properly all things that Case Keenum can already do. 

Yea... lay those breadcrumbs down so I can follow them to all this great knowledge you have laid out.

Here's just s few things I have learned.

1) A guy that plays for Houston is under the radar and his draft stock will be hurt. Case in point the CB DJ Hayden ... went 12th even though he had a major medical problem.

2) You can actually compare a guy that went 24th in the first round to a guy that wasn't taken in the first 255 picks. I wonder where Keenum would have gone if the draft was longer ? 300 th ?  Plus anyone that follows the draft knows that Rodgers should have never went that low as he was rated just about the same as the guy that went 1st overall. It just so happened that once hr got past 8-9 , there was no team looking for a QB. 

3) The fact that these QB's didn't start in their rookie years means something in this discussion. Favre was taken high second and was know to have a canon for an arm. You are amazing... what does that have to do with Keenum not being drafted and    having a below average arm ?     

4) As far "Arm strength & a lack of height are 2 of the most common misconceptions about what it takes to be a successful NFL QB to me"  , 

I guess you and the NFL GM's disagree on that one. 

Brady looked more like a Biafra warrior than he did an NFL QB. I think that more than questionable arm strength drove him into the 6th round. They figured he was lazy (no weight room) and couldn't take an NFL pounding. Your guy does have a below average arm and is small to boot. So that means he can't stay in the pocket and drive the ball down field. He will be most effective rolling out. Hopefully that won't make it too tough for him to excel.

Yea... lay those breadcrumbs down so I can follow them to all this great knowledge you have laid out.

1) A guy that plays for Houston is under the radar and his draft stock will be hurt. Case in point the CB DJ Hayden ... went 12th even though he had a major medical problem.

2) You can actually compare a guy that went 24th in the first round to a guy that wasn't taken in the first 255 picks. I wonder where Keenum would have gone if the draft was longer ? 300 th ?  Plus anyone that follows the draft knows that Rodgers should have never went that low as he was rated just about the same as the guy that went 1st overall. It just so happened that once hr got past 8-9 , there was no team looking for a QB. 

3) The fact that these QB's didn't start in their rookie years means something in this discussion. Favre was taken high second and was know to have a canon for an arm. You are amazing... what does that have to do with Keenum not being drafted and    having a below average arm ?     

4) As far "Arm strength & a lack of height are 2 of the most common misconceptions about what it takes to be a successful NFL QB to me"  , 

Sarcasm does not suit you...Leave that to the real experts like George Carlin, Stephen Colbert, & Bill Maher. You get a C+ for attempting it though.  :thmup:

I like your John Lynch comparison amfootball except for 1 thing: When Denver signed him, lingering heath issues never kept John on the bench. Plus, Lynch still hit guys with the same intensity & reckless abandonment that he did in Tampa Bay. There was zero drop off on the field. Ed Reed has barely played this season. A good comparison though.  :thmup:

I was talking about when Lynch came to NE. When he left Tampa for Denver he still had the goods. When he came to NE he could not stay on the field. He had lost too many steps. That may be the case with Reed as well. I am anxious to see if anyone does pick him up. I don't really think the Pats will but they should IMO.

2) You can actually compare a guy that went 24th in the first round to a guy that wasn't taken in the first 255 picks. I wonder where Keenum would have gone if the draft was longer ? 300 th ? Plus anyone that follows the draft knows that Rodgers should have never went that low as he was rated just about the same as the guy that went 1st overall. It just so happened that once hr got past 8-9 , there was no team looking for a QB.

3) The fact that these QB's didn't start in their rookie years means something in this discussion. Favre was taken high second and was know to have a canon for an arm. You are amazing... what does that have to do with Keenum not being drafted and having a below average arm ?

4) As far "Arm strength & a lack of height are 2 of the most common misconceptions about what it takes to be a successful NFL QB to me" ,

Watch some current tape. Case's arm is fine and certainly not below average. Not by what I see anyway.

Watch some current tape. Case's arm is fine and certainly not below average. Not by what I see anyway.

I was actually kind of impressed with his arm in the one game I saw. I don't know anything about his combine or whatever, but he passed the eye test for me. 

Arm strength is overrated as a measurable anyway, IMO. Guys don't need cannons, they just need to have adequate velocity. If it was all about arm strength, guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco and even Josh Freeman would be perennial All-Pros. 

At least the Texans will get a good extended look at Keenum now, in what's pretty much a lost season, so they can decide what to do next offseason. 

I was actually kind of impressed with his arm in the one game I saw. I don't know anything about his combine or whatever, but he passed the eye test for me.

Arm strength is overrated as a measurable anyway, IMO. Guys don't need cannons, they just need to have adequate velocity. If it was all about arm strength, guys like Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco and even Josh Freeman would be perennial All-Pros.

At least the Texans will get a good extended look at Keenum now, in what's pretty much a lost season, so they can decide what to do next offseason.

The problem with Keenum's combine was he didnt have adequete velocity, his arm strength made the ball come out slow every time, which is a problem when you are already disatvantaged in the height department. It could have been combine jitters, or a form flaw Houston's QB coaches corrected, or he could just be playing out of his gourd. More needs seen to be sure.

The problem with Keenum's combine was he didnt have adequete velocity, his arm strength made the ball come out slow every time, which is a problem when you are already disatvantaged in the height department. It could have been combine jitters, or a form flaw Houston's QB coaches corrected, or he could just be playing out of his gourd. More needs seen to be sure.

Sure, I gotcha... makes sense. Arm strength is one of those things that a QB can actually work on and improve, unlike instincts or an inane ability to read the defense or see the field. I don't think Houston's got it's answer by any stretch of the imagination... guys sometimes light it up for an entire season before they drop off the face of the earth. (Derek Anderson anyone?)

But I like Keenum's game from what I've seen so far. Plays with a little fire and certainly doesn't hold anything back. He's not going to turn it around for Houston by himself, but they're not risking anything at this point by taking an extended look at what he can do. 

I've seen all three of his games and I think he has below average arm strength. He'll never be able to dive the ball into tight spots and will need the right system and talent around him. But look what he's done already. He's already beat the odds and who's to say he won't continue to do so and be a quality NFL starter. It's just my opinion that he will have a tough time evolving into a top QB as he's a 6' , 210 lb guy who runs a 4.8 and has a questionable arm. That just is so far off the prototype NFL QB. 

That said , if you are correct and he does have an average or plus arm , his chances rise dramatically.

Sarcasm does not suit you...Leave that to the real experts like George Carlin, Stephen Colbert, & Bill Maher. You get a C+ for attempting it though.  :thmup:

Yeah.. I guess everyone can't come up with a "follow the breadcrumb " remark . 

Scouts watched him throw 12 gazzilion passes at Houston. They saw his smarts , attitude and competitiveness . The guy broke  all time NCAA passing records for yards , completions and TDs. Yet when they called 253 names in the 2012 , his name was not called. If he tweaked his hamstring at the combine , which I believe he did , scouts would certainly understand that and go off what they saw in college . Or he would throw later when his hamstring settled down. Bottom line is he's going to have to beat the odds being a small guy with a below average arm. He's not going to grow and his arm is his arm.

Yeah.. I guess everyone can't come up with a "follow the breadcrumb " remark . 

You obviously want me to claim that you are some sort of draft wizard & I am not. Okay, hear ye, hear ye, Dw49 is a NFL draft guru & SW1 is not. Can we move on now? Thank you. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night...It makes no difference to me. We all have our hidden talents & draft intricacies is not a liability I wish to enhance anytime soon. Knock yourself out sir...

You obviously want me to claim that you are some sort of draft wizard & I am not. Okay, hear ye, hear ye, Dw49 is a NFL draft guru & SW1 is not. Can we move on now? Thank you. 

Whatever helps you sleep at night...It makes no difference to me. We all have our hidden talents & draft intricacies is not a liability I wish to enhance anytime soon. Knock yourself out sir...

Are you delusional ? You make this remark to me "Alabama players, Miami U players, & Notre Dame players all have premium broadcasting deals. Trust me, that Natl. exposure is a huge deal. Yes, players can get drafted from anywhere, but greater exposure means more scouts visiting campus, a higher draft slot, & more money don't kid yourself. This isn't Kindergarden. I didn't realize all bloggers on here needed a follow the breadcrumbs reasoning map. "    

Then make a remark that I'm the one being sarcastic and doing a poor job of it. See below...

snapback.png

Sarcasm does not suit you...Leave that to the real experts like George Carlin, Stephen Colbert, & Bill Maher. You get a C+ for attempting it though.   :thmup:

Then when I address your poor attempt at being sarcastic or funny , you come back with the above. I think you need a little help my friend. Good luck getting it.

Scouts watched him throw 12 gazzilion passes at Houston. They saw his smarts , attitude and competitiveness . The guy broke  all time NCAA passing records for yards , completions and TDs. Yet when they called 253 names in the 2012 , his name was not called. If he tweaked his hamstring at the combine , which I believe he did , scouts would certainly understand that and go off what they saw in college . Or he would throw later when his hamstring settled down. Bottom line is he's going to have to beat the odds being a small guy with a below average arm. He's not going to grow and his arm is his arm.

Romo was passed over too.

I find it shocking that this Case was not drafted and Geno Smith was in the 2nd round.