Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ed Reed Released by Texans

lollygagger8

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, not surprising. He hasnt produced, and then didnt toe the party line with the media. The Texans have shown that is just as important to them as production. Still, I think this hurts them as far as cap space goes, but I have no idea as to how much off the top of my head.

Texans released S Ed Reed.

A shell of himself at age 35 with hip and knee issues, Reed had been demoted to third-string safety behind Shiloh Keo and D.J. Swearinger. In the Week 10 loss at Arizona, he only logged 12 snaps while playing exclusively in dime packages. After the game, Reed said Texans were "outplayed" and "outcoached." With the 2-7 Texans now in rebuilding mode, they don't need a proud veteran like Reed griping. They'll eat the $6 million guaranteed they gave the ex-Raven back in March and move on. Reed is a nine-time Pro Bowler and future Hall of Famer, but any team bringing him in should keep expectations in check. He's near the end of the line.

Nov 12 - 12:36 PM

Well this release has Belichick all over it. Would not be surprised to see Bill pick up Ed on the cheap and have him play situational football given the Pats are down Gregory for the next few weeks. That is assuming Bill thinks Ed has anything left in the tank.

I'm just not seeing it.  I'm not a scout or anything, but the one time I really got to watch him play, he wasn't noticeable at all.  One game, I know.

Well this release has Belichick all over it. Would not be surprised to see Bill pick up Ed on the cheap and have him play situational football given the Pats are down Gregory for the next few weeks. That is assuming Bill thinks Ed has anything left in the tank.

I can almost guarantee they'll look at him. If this thread is right and he was being used in dime packages, that doesn't seem like a good way to use an aging safety. With the way the Patriots have had a little difficulty against the run since losing Wilfork and Mayo, I think Reed could help in some multi-DB packages. Sort of like the "big nickel" packages they ran years ago.

Of course, chances are also decent that Belichick did his due diligence on Reed last summer and decided to pass. If he can't play he can't play. But I know (everyone knows) that Bill's got a certifiable man-crush on Ed Reed, LOL...

I believe he had surgery in the offseason, so that could have contributed

The guy got old. Happens to every NFL player. No great mystery ... fell off big time in 2012 and dropped off again in 2013. Add 2012 with 2013 and you get adios Ed Reed.

I can almost guarantee they'll look at him. If this thread is right and he was being used in dime packages, that doesn't seem like a good way to use an aging safety. With the way the Patriots have had a little difficulty against the run since losing Wilfork and Mayo, I think Reed could help in some multi-DB packages. Sort of like the "big nickel" packages they ran years ago.

Of course, chances are also decent that Belichick did his due diligence on Reed last summer and decided to pass. If he can't play he can't play. But I know (everyone knows) that Bill's got a certifiable man-crush on Ed Reed, LOL...

Yes, Bill does. :heart:

I think Rex may take him first though. He would be good on that D as well ...

He would not be good in either scheme. Ed Reed is bad.

Scheme is not an issue for Reed. The bigger question is whether he can still play at a competitive level. If the Jets or Pats think he has something left in the tank then they will make a move. Only positives to signing him as he will come cheap and can cut him if he cannot stay on the field.

Scheme is not an issue for Reed. The bigger question is whether he can still play at a competitive level. If the Jets or Pats think he has something left in the tank then they will make a move. Only positives to signing him as he will come cheap and can cut him if he cannot stay on the field.

The answer to that question is no.

Boy you really dislike Reed, huh?

Nothing about disliking. He got benched by the Texans for being bad, then criticized the coaching and got cut for it. There is nothing left in the tank, and anyone who signs him is just being played for money like he played the Texans.

No, he's just not a good football player anymorw.

Yeah, it could be like John Lynch. Pats picked him up after Denver but he was just not the same and it did not last long. The only thing with Reed is he was coming off hip surgery so it is hard to know how much he has really left and playing for the Texans this year probably did not help him. They are a mess.

I think lingering health issues will spell Reed's NFL retirement. Yes, I agree with Gopats & amfootball that Bill Belichick does love Ed Reed. He will bring Ed in to kick the tires, but I don't see the grey hoodie offering him  even a low ball contract. Bill isn't foolish; He isn't gonna pay an established veteran money with a great mind & no speed or cover skills anymore. If Austin Collie didn't make a roster spot in NE, there's no way Ed will. 

Yeah, it could be like John Lynch. Pats picked him up after Denver but he was just not the same and it did not last long. The only thing with Reed is he was coming off hip surgery so it is hard to know how much he has really left and playing for the Texans this year probably did not help him. They are a mess.

I like your John Lynch comparison amfootball except for 1 thing: When Denver signed him, lingering heath issues never kept John on the bench. Plus, Lynch still hit guys with the same intensity & reckless abandonment that he did in Tampa Bay. There was zero drop off on the field. Ed Reed has barely played this season. A good comparison though.  :thmup:

Bye Ed.

I was kind of hoping that Ed would tighten up your secondary coverage & serve as a mentor in the locker room. I sincerely mean that man. I'm not blowing smoke up your backside. I respect Houston division rival or not. Stick with Case Keenum as your QB. He could easily salvage your season. 

I was kind of hoping that Ed would tighten up your secondary coverage & serve as a mentor in the locker room. I sincerely mean that man. I'm not blowing smoke up your backside. I respect Houston division rival or not. Stick with Case Keenum as your QB. He could easily salvage your season. 

Well our season is gone but Keenum is one of the few bright spots to watch the rest of the way.

Don't know about the "easily" part. There is usually a reason that a smart kid with great production and a good attitude does not get drafted. In his case it's he's very limited due to size and arm strength. IMO , what you will see is defenses scheming better and better on him . The lanes that he rolls out into will be cut off and he'll be forced to make plays from the pocket. Brees , at the same size does it by sliding into lanes where he can see the filed and he has a very strong arm to deliver the ball. Keenam on the other hand has had most of his success slipping outside the pocket and keeping plays alive . hard to make a living doing that and I just think his lack of arm strength will end up relegating him to a great back up . Nice story though and certainly a guy you would pull for. 

Don't know about the "easily" part. There is usually a reason that a smart kid with great production and a good attitude does not get drafted. In his case it's he's very limited due to size and arm strength. IMO , what you will see is defenses scheming better and better on him . The lanes that he rolls out into will be cut off and he'll be forced to make plays from the pocket. Brees , at the same size does it by sliding into lanes where he can see the filed and he has a very strong arm to deliver the ball. Keenam on the other hand has had most of his success slipping outside the pocket and keeping plays alive . hard to make a living doing that and I just think his lack of arm strength will end up relegating him to a great back up . Nice story though and certainly a guy you would pull for. 

This lack of arm strength thing is straight up stupid. He threw the ball with the same velocity at the combine as Joe Flacco, and he did it with a pulled hamstring. Does Flacco have a weak arm?

Please never post that Keenum has a weak arm again, because it's garbage.