Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Is The Best Bounty We Can Get For The 1St Overall Pick?

Hypothetically speaking, if we were to acquire the first pick in the 2012 draft.

Which teams would want it and what do you think they give up to get it?

I think a team like Miami gives up multiple first round picks and maybe a few 2nd/3rd rounders too.

Thoughts?

***KEEPING THE PICK AND DRAFTING LUCK IS NOT AN OPTION IN THIS THREAD, PLEASE DON'T EVEN BRING THAT NONSENSE IN HERE***

draft luck. end of thread.......... alright fine ill play nice and answer the OP. miami would be the most likely candidate they'll give everything and the kitchen sink for luck

Edited by coltsrule91

Miami, Minnesota and Jacksonville... they want Luck

Obviously yes to Miami but Minnesota and Jax just drafted QB's. Washington, Seattle and even Dallas or Denver are more likely imo. Heck I'd even say Buffalo or Kansas City might even be more likely.

Obviously yes to Miami but Minnesota and Jax just drafted QB's. Washington, Seattle and even Dallas or Denver are more likely imo. Heck I'd even say Buffalo or Kansas City might even be more likely.

The Panthers drafted Clausen in 10', but then drafted Newton in 11'... What's your point... just because you draft a QB doesn't mean you can't draft another one unless that QB you drafted is good. Ponder is good, and Gabbert is a great backup. Look at us, we're considering drafting Luck, and we have PM as our QB. That's a different story however. Anyways, those teams won't pass up Andrew Luck.... the Seahawks and Redskins won't either, but the Cowboys aren't stupid, they and the Broncos have needs bigger than QB. The last thing Denver wants is a bigger QB controversy... imagine Luck, Orton, Tebow, and Quinn

Using this chart..... http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php .....the #1 overall pick is worth 3000 points.

With the kind of fanfare that Andrew Luck is being heralded in with....I'm guessing we could get a premium of 4500 points in return compensation.

If whichever team finishes with the #2 overall pick is willing to fess up say, 4500 points of compensation, then that would amount to their 1st and 2nd round picks this year PLUS their 1st round pick next year if they pick in the #5 to #10 range...or....their 1st & 2nd round picks next year if they improve their 2012 record enough to select lower than #10.

So basically.....two 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder OR two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders...depending on that team's record next year.

Using this chart..... http://walterfootbal.../draftchart.php .....the #1 overall pick is worth 3000 points.

With the kind of fanfare that Andrew Luck is being heralded in with....I'm guessing we could get a premium of 4500 points in return compensation.

If whichever team finishes with the #2 overall pick is willing to fess up say, 4500 points of compensation, then that would amount to their 1st and 2nd round picks this year PLUS their 1st round pick next year if they pick in the #5 to #10 range...or....their 1st & 2nd round picks next year if they improve their 2012 record enough to select lower than #10.

So basically.....two 1st rounders and one 2nd rounder OR two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders...depending on that team's record next year.

I would want their whole draft this year and their first next year.

Miami Dolphins and Seattle Seahawks are only real trading partners should the Colts have the 1st overall:

Miami:

Henne's contract is up after this season, and Miami wants to move on. Not afraid to spend shown by trading for Brandon Marshall and giving big contracts to the likes of Karlos Dansby, Kevin Burnett and franchise tagging Paul Soliai.

Will "compete" for the 1st overall pick, and if they don't get it, they will certainly be picking within the top 5.

Draft picks 2012: Top 5

Players of interesst: Vontae Davis

Notes: Are not beating out the Patriots in 2012 and play offs would be a challenge in the AFC with Ravens/Steelers, Colts/Texans, Patriots/Jets, Chargers/Raiders. So, a possible 1st rounder in 2013 would probably be within the first 20.

Gives up for #1: 1st 2012, 2rd 2012, 1st 2013

Seattle:

Basically threw away this season by not getting a better QB. Tarvaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst are caretakers at best (still wonder why they traded for Whitehurst?). Question is whether Pete Carroll will go for Luck rather than Barkley (or Jones), and that also depends on where Seattle ends up picking. Would probably be within top 6.

Draft picks 2012: Top 6

Players of interest: Sidney Rice maybe? Earl Thomas (hot happening though)?

Notes: No players of realistic intereset really. In 2013 they could compete in the NFC West, so picks in 2013 could be after the first 20.

Gives up: 1st 2012, 2nd 2012, 1st 2013, 3rd 2013

Denver:

Are parting with Orton after his season surely. A lot depends on Tebow's progress this year, but they could go after a QB - Or sit at their spot and John Fox will be praying he can get Trent Richardson.

Draft picks 2012: Top 10

Players of interest: Could be Quinton Carter - would be good depth and possible starter for the Colts, and wouldn't be such a caliber player that the Colts would have to "surrender" a high draft pick in a trade.

Notes: Denver has multiple needs, so might be reluctant to go to #1. If they want a QB they could go for either Barkley or Jones in the 1st, or Foles or Cousins in the 2nd.

Kansas City:

Cassel is not taking them to the play offs again. But Cassel does still have a long contract, so everything depends if they hold onto him.

Washington:

WILL need a QB. Their picks will be within the top 15, but would be a long way up to the #1, so would have to give up a lot!

St. Louis: Certainly not making a big move for Luck!

Minnesota: Will stick with Ponder for at least this season and next.

Jacksonville: Traded up for Gabbert. Will stick with him.

(To a previous post: There's a difference in taking a QB in the top 12, and taking one in the 2nd round)

Arizona: Won't realize that Kolb's huge mistake just yet, and don't have their 2nd rounder to trade up with. Gave Kolb a big contract as well. Not happening.

Cleveland: Sticks with McCoy, gives him a receiver in 2012, so not going for 1st overall obviously.

#1 overall er trade away then?

Either way the Colts can't really go wrong. If Luck is drafted 1st overall, the Colts have a QB for the next 15 years probably. Trade down and get multiple picks and strengthen the team, get a (developmental) QB in the 2012 2nd or 3 rd round (Foles/Cousins/Tannehill) to sit behind Peyton.

If the Colts trade the 1st overall away, Quinton Coples or Justin Blackmon/Alshon Jeffery would be the best possibilities. Matt Kalil is going to be great (probably), but it doesn't really help the Colts more so than having Castonzo and Ijalana.

Oakland gave up a 1st round pick and a 2nd/maybe 1st (depends if they make the playoffs) for Carson Palmer 31yrs old.

The Falcons gave up their first-round pick (No. 27) this year as well as their second- and fourth-round picks in this draft. They also gave up their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012 to move up to No. 6 to grab Jones.

I think we can get a lot for him, most posts are underestimating. Would I draft Luck and give up this opportunity? NOOOOOOO WAY in H###

Oakland gave up a 1st round pick and a 2nd/maybe 1st (depends if they make the playoffs) for Carson Palmer 31yrs old.

The Falcons gave up their first-round pick (No. 27) this year as well as their second- and fourth-round picks in this draft. They also gave up their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012 to move up to No. 6 to grab Jones.

I think we can get a lot for him, most posts are underestimating. Would I draft Luck and give up this opportunity? NOOOOOOO WAY in H###

I would certainly entertain offers, The deal will likely be too good to pass up.

Miami would probably give you everything and then some. including multiple first and second round picks and possibly quality starting players as well.

You could be right...given the scarcity of veteran QB help that the Palmer trade illustrated.

The ideal situation....IMO...would be us at #1....and Miami and Denver also somewhere in the Top 5. An then let the bidding war commence.

My personal preference, if the Colts were to trade the pick, would be to fleece Denver GM and former Stanford golden boy John Elway out of three 1st rounders plus whatever else we could flim-flam him out of.

I still can't stand that joker for refusing to play for the Colts.

If we have a No.2 or No.3, we will have more trading partners, that is why I want us to be No.2 or No.3.

Vikings or Cardinals would kill to have Matt Kalil at LT, a position they need badly, we could get the Vikes 1st and 2nd rounders (Cardinals do not have their 2nd rounder that they gave up for Kolb) assuming the Vikes pick in the top 10. Or, we could get the Cardinals 1st round pick this year and next year's 1st round pick as well if they want to move up for Kalil.

The Panthers drafted Clausen in 10', but then drafted Newton in 11'... What's your point... just because you draft a QB doesn't mean you can't draft another one unless that QB you drafted is good. Ponder is good, and Gabbert is a great backup. Look at us, we're considering drafting Luck, and we have PM as our QB. That's a different story however. Anyways, those teams won't pass up Andrew Luck.... the Seahawks and Redskins won't either, but the Cowboys aren't stupid, they and the Broncos have needs bigger than QB. The last thing Denver wants is a bigger QB controversy... imagine Luck, Orton, Tebow, and Quinn

You really comparing taking Clausen with a middle of the 2nd round v. J'ville taking Gabbert with the tenth overall pick last year?So I am pretty sure that his point is to count the Jags out of the Luck sweepstakes. And wth are you talking about Gabbert being a great back up. The Jags did not use the 10th pick on him to be a back up.

I see 4 first round picks coming our way,along with a ton of seconds and thirds.I think daniel snyder goes crazy,with the help of shanny talking into his ear and decides to break the bank for luck.Its a HUGE day for the colts.And then i see two more rings coming in our near future.Not to mention,but painter is going to bring some picks our way too.Sooooooooooo life is goooooood~.

If we have a No.2 or No.3, we will have more trading partners, that is why I want us to be No.2 or No.3.

Vikings or Cardinals would kill to have Matt Kalil at LT, a position they need badly, we could get the Vikes 1st and 2nd rounders (Cardinals do not have their 2nd rounder that they gave up for Kolb) assuming the Vikes pick in the top 10. Or, we could get the Cardinals 1st round pick this year and next year's 1st round pick as well if they want to move up for Kalil.

So if we're at #1 then we trade down to #2 or #3 for whoever wants Luck the most, and then trade down again....get a king's ransom twice. :D This has always been my preferred position if we get the #1 pick.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the biggest offer come from Washington...they're almost always very active in FA trying to build the team that way so for a team like that, draft picks aren't quite as valuable when compared to a team like the Colts who build almost exclusively through the draft. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a big offer coming from Dallas because I don't think Romo will be back next year, at least not as the starter.

a team with a top 3 pick isn't going to swap picks AND give up multiple top picks. i know everyone is a colts fan, but be realistic. a team like washington would have to give up multiple top picks because they don't have the top 3-5 pick to swap. this is going to make it tough for the skins to get the top pick. i can see the colts doing the first pick for the 2-4 pick plus a 2nd or 1st next year, then trading down again with a team like the skins for multiple picks. the colts would pick in the middle of the first round and gain a ton of extra picks this year and/or next.

So if we're at #1 then we trade down to #2 or #3 for whoever wants Luck the most, and then trade down again....get a king's ransom twice. :D This has always been my preferred position if we get the #1 pick.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the biggest offer come from Washington...they're almost always very active in FA trying to build the team that way so for a team like that, draft picks aren't quite as valuable when compared to a team like the Colts who build almost exclusively through the draft. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a big offer coming from Dallas because I don't think Romo will be back next year, at least not as the starter.

this is funny. i didn't read your post until i posted mine.

According to the nfl trade value chart (http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php):

Pick No.3 has a value of 2200, pick No.8 has a value of 1400 and pick No.18 has a value of 900.

Scenario 1: So, if the Browns fall in love with Alshon Jeffery, and since they have their own first round pick (possibly No.8) and the pick they got from the Falcons (who I expect to miss the playoffs, possibly be pick No.18 or No.19), a straight swap of pick No.2 or No.3 for No.8 & No.18 would fit the bill perfectly. My perfect scenario.

If scenario 1 happens, and we have picked at No.8 but all our first round talent targets have been picked by No.18 (value 900), then the Eagles have Arizona's second round pick (possibly No.5 valued at 530) plus their own pick (say No.20 with value 380), we just swap our No.18 for 2 second round picks of the Eagles. Thus, we can end up with pick No.6 and 3 second round picks.

Scenario 2: Let us say Minnesota picks at No.6 and we pick at No.3, we can get their first and second round picks for them to move up to get their franchise LT Matt Kalil. This way, we end up with 3 picks between No.6 and No.38.

I think there are several teams that could potentially be interested, including: Miami, Seattle, Washington, San Francisco, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Denver, and Oakland. What we could get in return totally depends on what position in the draft that team has and what position they are likely to have in the following season. If we finish with the 1st overall and Miami has the 2nd overall, and they trade for luck, we could most likely get their 2012 1st and 2nd and 2013 1st and 2nd, or their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and 2013 1st overall. And that's all just to move up one spot! If we traded with a team like San Francisco, who is likely to finish with a draft position somewhere in the 20s, we could probably get their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and 2013 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No matter how you cut it, we'll make out like bandits! We could put 4-6 impact players on our team over the course of 2 drafts in exchange for one pick, and thusly put in place the nucleus of our team for the next decade, while at the same time increasing Manning's chances of leading us to more Super Bowls.

I think Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington could be interested. Minnesota seems to have picked up a good kid, Oakland has Palmer (doubt that will pan out), as well as Pryor, but may make a splash. They have nothing to offer, however, as they have no draft picks left in 2012.

Miami is the most likely candidate, and it makes the most sense for Luck to go there. He would get to play immediately.

You really comparing taking Clausen with a middle of the 2nd round v. J'ville taking Gabbert with the tenth overall pick last year?So I am pretty sure that his point is to count the Jags out of the Luck sweepstakes. And wth are you talking about Gabbert being a great back up. The Jags did not use the 10th pick on him to be a back up.

To add to that: teams don't use the first pick to draft a back up either. There's no way Luck will be backing anybody up next year. 1st overall picks aren't 24th overall picks; they are drafted to make an immediate impact.

We are also forgetting the simple reality that Luck may not even want to come here. If Manning is progressing, Luck is not going to want to come sit on a bench. His agent won't want that either, and I would bet the house that another Eli Manning/John Elway situation arises where Luck demands a trade.

"But, but Aaron Rodgers..."

Yeah, he was a developmental project that would have fallen to the 2nd round if not for the Packers at 24.

"But, but the opportunity to learn from Manning..."

Luck has probably already studied him quite a bit, and there's no greater way to come in and learn as a top pick than to step in the fire. Andrew Luck will not be on a bench in 2012.

Edited by doogansquest

I think there are several teams that could potentially be interested, including: Miami, Seattle, Washington, San Francisco, Minnesota, Jacksonville, Denver, and Oakland. What we could get in return totally depends on what position in the draft that team has and what position they are likely to have in the following season. If we finish with the 1st overall and Miami has the 2nd overall, and they trade for luck, we could most likely get their 2012 1st and 2nd and 2013 1st and 2nd, or their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and 2013 1st overall. And that's all just to move up one spot! If we traded with a team like San Francisco, who is likely to finish with a draft position somewhere in the 20s, we could probably get their 2012 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and 2013 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. No matter how you cut it, we'll make out like bandits! We could put 4-6 impact players on our team over the course of 2 drafts in exchange for one pick, and thusly put in place the nucleus of our team for the next decade, while at the same time increasing Manning's chances of leading us to more Super Bowls.

Oakland may have been interested and I named them as a possibility, but after making the deal for Palmer they simply don't have anything to bargain with so very unlikely that they'll be in the running either. All they have in regards to draft picks are a 3rd, 5th and 6th and they may wind up without a 1st in 2013.

To add to that: teams don't use the first pick to draft a QB to be a back up either. There's no way Luck will be backing anybody up next year. 1st overall picks aren't 24th overall picks: they are drafted to make an immediate impact.

This should come as no surprise...I agree :)

Edited by Jason

i still think trading for marshall and their numer one pick and miamis second would be wise...wayne is on his last wheels, and probably wont be resigned deppending on cap, so we need someone to replace him...waiting for a rookie to develop on manning last 3 years does not fit with me...and the dolphisn were interested in trading marshall

Here's what I'd really love to see happen, and while it may not be likely to happen, it's possible. We get the #1 overall and trade it to a top 5 pick team (Mia, Sea, or whoever) in return for their 2012 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2013 1st and 3rd. Then we trade the top 5 pick we got from that trade to the Browns (since they'll likely be looking to snag a top notch receiver like Jeffery or Blackmon) in return for their two 2012 1st round picks (which should be approx. a 10-15 pick and a 17-25 pick. Then we could trade our 2013 1st and 3rd round picks (since we'd still have Mia's 2013 1st and 3rd) for another mid to late round pick in 2012, which would give us: three 1st round picks, two in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and our 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks (which we could also potentially use to move up for a somewhat higher pick, potentially another 3rd rounder). That would be sweet!

Here's what I'd really love to see happen, and while it may not be likely to happen, it's possible. We get the #1 overall and trade it to a top 5 pick team (Mia, Sea, or whoever) in return for their 2012 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 2013 1st and 3rd. Then we trade the top 5 pick we got from that trade to the Browns (since they'll likely be looking to snag a top notch receiver like Jeffery or Blackmon) in return for their two 2012 1st round picks (which should be approx. a 10-15 pick and a 17-25 pick. Then we could trade our 2013 1st and 3rd round picks (since we'd still have Mia's 2013 1st and 3rd) for another mid to late first round pick in 2012, which would give us: three 1st round picks, two in the 2nd, two in the 3rd, and our 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks (which we could also potentially use to move up for a somewhat higher pick, potentially another 3rd rounder). That would be sweet!

I agree, The Ransom we could get foe the #1 overall and then the #2/3 overall would be insane. Then the colts could really start implementing the patriots draft strategy (which I have always loved) Where they trade picks for more picks in the following year.

I think Miami, Seattle, San Francisco, and Washington could be interested. Minnesota seems to have picked up a good kid, Oakland has Palmer (doubt that will pan out), as well as Pryor, but may make a splash. They have nothing to offer, however, as they have no draft picks left in 2012.

Miami is the most likely candidate, and it makes the most sense for Luck to go there. He would get to play immediately.

To add to that: teams don't use the first pick to draft a back up either. There's no way Luck will be backing anybody up next year. 1st overall picks aren't 24th overall picks; they are drafted to make an immediate impact.

We are also forgetting the simple reality that Luck may not even want to come here. If Manning is progressing, Luck is not going to want to come sit on a bench. His agent won't want that either, and I would bet the house that another Eli Manning/John Elway situation arises where Luck demands a trade.

"But, but Aaron Rodgers..."

Yeah, he was a developmental project that would have fallen to the 2nd round if not for the Packers at 24.

"But, but the opportunity to learn from Manning..."

Luck has probably already studied him quite a bit, and there's no greater way to come in and learn as a top pick than to step in the fire. Andrew Luck will not be on a bench in 2012.

Disagree. Luck's family is family friends with the Manning family. Considering he didn't even want to come into this years draft, he would have no problem sitting on the bench learning from Peyton Manning.

Disagree. Luck's family is family friends with the Manning family. Considering he didn't even want to come into this years draft, he would have no problem sitting on the bench learning from Peyton Manning.

You're spot on with your facts, but I sure as heck know I wouldn't wanna sit for 3-4 years behind ANY quarterback if I was the 1st overall pick.