Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offical Trent Richardson discussion/thoughts/opinions thread.

Dustin

So I made a suggestion to the mods and we agreed that it'd be best to have a single thread dedicated to TRich throughout the entire season and have it pinned to the top in attempt to cut down on some of the clutter on what will likely be the hot-topic for the remainder of this season and the off-season. So if you have articles/thoughts/opinions/predictions post them to this thread. Thanks.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok ill start, Richardson will pay off. As seen yesterday, Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson couldn't run behind that line.

The way I see it, is he can be as good as Marshawn Lynch, 1. Because he was traded mid season and 2 they both break tackles. Just give him the ball more.

Sorry, colts fans have spoken and deemed him a bust. Must be true.

Sarcasm btw ;)

I've been extremely hard on T rich these past few weeks, buy I'm gonna cut him some slack. our line sucks and pep still has no idea what he's doing with richardson. But honestly, donald brown, ahmad bradshaw, and vick ballard last year ran behind the same, if not a worse line than this year and did way better than t rich.

I've been extremely hard on T rich these past few weeks, buy I'm gonna cut him some slack. our line sucks and pep still has no idea what he's doing with richardson. But honestly, donald brown, ahmad bradshaw, and vick ballard last year ran behind the same, if not a worse line than this year and did way better than t rich.

This is what I'm saying. Our line was beyond putrid last season and even though our line still sucks, it's still better than last yrs.. at some point people need to put some blame on Richardson, he has been awful and it's not completely on the o-line. Somehow Brown has been able to find holes behind this terrible O-line and yet Richardson hasn't been able to find a single one in many more attempts. It's not a coincidence, Richardson thus far, has been a huge bust. That doesn't mean he can't turn things around, but people need to stop blaming only the O-line.

This is what I'm saying. Our line was beyond putrid last season and even though our line still sucks, it's still better than last yrs.. at some point people need to put some blame on Richardson, he has been awful and it's not completely on the o-line. Somehow Brown has been able to find holes behind this terrible O-line and yet Richardson hasn't been able to find a single one in many more attempts. It's not a coincidence, Richardson thus far, has been a huge bust. That doesn't mean he can't turn things around, but people need to stop blaming only the O-line.

Brown has done no better when he try's to run out of obvious running formations and downs. I doubt AP would be tearing it up behind this line. Because he isn't behind his own line. Which he almost broke the record with last year.

Ballard and Brown both had the benefit of a full training camp and preseason. Bradshaw came in this season without the benefit of TC or preseason, but he is a vet and at least had time (while injured) to learn the playbook before playing in games....

I remember when everybody was down on Donald Brown because he kept running into the backsides of our awful O-Line... they get him in space=instant stud..... I've questioned Brown's vision myself. Same goes with Richardson. I think that he looks explosive and quick, but he is either stopped in the backfield or runs into a wall. I'm not ready to write him off at all. He needs to do a better job of making a positive of a broken play  but I'm really surprised that people thought that he could just come right into town and be our workhorse back... it takes some time, at least...

Brown has done no better when he try's to run out of obvious running formations and downs. I doubt AP would be tearing it up behind this line. Because he isn't behind his own line. Which he almost broke the record with last year.

All I'm saying about Brown is that in the few opportunities he's actually had this yr., he has been able to take advantage of them and find the holes to run through. If he was the primary RB then your right, he probably wouldn't be doing any better, which has been my whole issue with the Richardson trade to begin with. It's nothing against Richardson as a player, it's just that we should have never traded for him in the 1st place. If Grigson was going to give away a 1st rd. pick, then he should have gave one away for a real Center or Guard. Yeah, that sounds crazy, giving up a 1st for either a C or G, but it would have been a much bigger help to us than what Richardson is going to be.

All I'm saying about Brown is that in the few opportunities he's actually had this yr., he has been able to take advantage of them and find the holes to run through. If he was the primary RB then your right, he probably wouldn't be doing any better, which has been my whole issue with the Richardson trade to begin with. It's nothing against Richardson as a player, it's just that we should have never traded for him in the 1st place. If Grigson was going to give away a 1st rd. pick, then he should have gave one away for a real Center or Guard. Yeah, that sounds crazy, giving up a 1st for either a C or G, but it would have been a much bigger help to us than what Richardson is going to be.

I agree with that. I just don't get what they see in Satele and McGlynn. Surely we could of upgraded the positions. Especially since Grigson is supposed to be an olinemen guy.

Should of kept AQ Shipley also.

The same o lineman did not seem to cause Bradshaw much trouble. I miss having Ballard and Bradshaw. Not much we can do about it though. We are married to Trent and have to hope this all works out eventually because he is here for a while like it or not.

It might have been a move made for the future. With the thoughts of improving the line. Just hate to put the cart before the horse.

I honestly hope hope Richardson proves me wrong about him, I want every Colts player to be the best, but I just have serious reservations about him. I'm not seeing anything special about him and never have. Hopefully we can get a much improved O-line next season and Richardson can turn into what many think he can be. I just have to see it first.

do u think that had anything to do with allen and the vertical off ???

When we get everyone healthy next year we can trade Trent since we'll have a surplus of good backs. Teams will surely offer at least a number one draft choice for him, right?

Are you joking??? Teams wouldn't offer a 4th rd. pick for him at this point. He has done nothing but prove he isn't very good.

Thank you.

1st of all -There is not a problem with T-Rich. People who complain about T-Rich appear to not have a clear understanding of how many people are necessary in order to run the ball successfully.

Our O-Line is in shambles - well - too dramatic - we'll say in transition. That is due to injuries, inexperience AND lack of ability.

Have you ever heard of something called RB Vision or Throwing a WR Open? They both loosely have to do with being able to make a read and then a reaction to how things will be in the immediate future. Both rely on being able to make a consistent read off of a consistent look. The key word is consistency. Right now our O-Line is not giving us much in terms of positive consistency.

They say many games are won in the trenches which means without consistency out of the O-Line many phases of the game plan will suffer. This is what is happening to us right now.

People act as if we put A Peterson back there somehow A Peterson will just run the ball all by himself. No - what makes A Peterson special is he can get yards against loaded boxes due to shaky QB play. But NEVER has there been question marks about MIN's OL.

T-Rich is just suffering from the same thing that has A Luck on his back and throwing more INT's lately. Its crazy because it is like we are being punished now for going 11-5 last year. those mid-draft OL could have been higher picks. But oh well.

In my opinion - the problems are being amplified by the system we are running. I believe the system will work - but changes need to be made with the injuries we have on offense. Teams are just sending a heavy pass rush overwhelming the O-Line - then playing aggressive pass coverage on 3rd down - we punt or worse.

I mean if we went to this system to protect Luck - and its not working - then spread it out and let Luck protect himself.  

Thomas: 100-yard runners don't win games

One of the great mysteries of the Cleveland Browns season is that they are 4-5 and feeling good despite having a near non-existent running game.

The team’s leading rusher has 262 carries and averages 2.6 yards per carry -- so what the heck?

Joe Thomas shrugs. The perennial Pro Bowler says it’s not a mystery.

“I’m looking at today’s NFL,” Thomas said in a recent conversation. “And I’m just not sure there’s a place for a running back anymore.”

Say what? Not a place?

“Fifty throws is the average,” Thomas said. “You get a guy who gains 100 yards, whoop dee do. It doesn’t win you games anymore.”

This from a guy who played in college at Wisconsin, the ultimate run team?

“If you’re a defensive coordinator and you give up a 100-yard rusher, you don’t really care,” he said. “It really doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

To repeat: A 100-yard back “doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

But, Thomas was told, since 1960, teams that have a back that carries 20 or more times in a game win 72 percent of the time.

“That’s simple,” he said with a smile. “They’re ahead so they run. I think it’s simple.”

Thomas asked his own question: When’s the last first-round running back other than Adrian Peterson to turn out?

Here are the first-round running backs since Thomas joined the league in 2007:

--2013: None

--2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

--2011: Mark Ingram

--2010: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best

--2009: Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris Wells

--2008: Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

--2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch

The best and most consistent and most dependable have been Peterson and Lynch -- but Lynch is successful with his second team, having been traded.

“You have to have soembody who’s a once-in-a-generation talent like Adrian Peterson to really be a difference maker in the game,” Thomas said. “But you get one Josh Gordon, you throw him a jump ball in triple coverage and he goes up and catches a touchdown, you win the game. That’s one guy, one play. He can do that three times in a game. Calvin Johnson. You can go down the list of guys like that who are game-changers. A.J. Green.

“You have to change the entire defense to try to take somebody like that out of the game. And the running game is so hard. Because first of all you have to have six, sometimes seven guys blocking perfectly up front. One mistake and it’s a tackle for a loss. So you have to have seven victories. And then you have to have a RB beat a safety. Today’s safeties are pretty good.”

Thomas also pointed out that offenses are getting more sophisticated at giving the quarterback the extra second he needs to make the throw. Colin Kaepernick’s fakes, he said, freeze a defense for a second.

It would also explain why the Browns have won games when they got good quarterback play and lost when they didn’t.

“That’s why you see quarterbacks, you see the value on those guys going through the roof,” he said. “Mid-level quarterbacks get $20 million a year year because they’re that important. And those receivers are going to start going that way, too.

“And the running backs, unfortunately for them they just don’t have a place in this game anymore like they used to.”

To the point that Thomas said he wouldn’t draft a running back in the first round.

The starting point for this conversation? Why did Thomas think Richardson did not work out in Cleveland?

“I’m not gonna throw stones at a guy that’s not on the team anymore,” Thomas said. “But it’s hard to say it didn’t work out because we got a first-round pick for him. So obviously someone thinks he’s pretty good. I think it comes down to production wasn’t great here, so they felt a first-round pick would be a good trade.

“And, I’m sure in today’s day and age, the value on running backs is down.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/99424/thomas-100-yard-runners-dont-win-games

Thomas: 100-yard runners don't win games

One of the great mysteries of the Cleveland Browns season is that they are 4-5 and feeling good despite having a near non-existent running game.

The team’s leading rusher has 262 carries and averages 2.6 yards per carry -- so what the heck?

Joe Thomas shrugs. The perennial Pro Bowler says it’s not a mystery.

“I’m looking at today’s NFL,” Thomas said in a recent conversation. “And I’m just not sure there’s a place for a running back anymore.”

Say what? Not a place?

“Fifty throws is the average,” Thomas said. “You get a guy who gains 100 yards, whoop dee do. It doesn’t win you games anymore.”

This from a guy who played in college at Wisconsin, the ultimate run team?

“If you’re a defensive coordinator and you give up a 100-yard rusher, you don’t really care,” he said. “It really doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

To repeat: A 100-yard back “doesn’t translate into winning many games.”

But, Thomas was told, since 1960, teams that have a back that carries 20 or more times in a game win 72 percent of the time.

“That’s simple,” he said with a smile. “They’re ahead so they run. I think it’s simple.”

Thomas asked his own question: When’s the last first-round running back other than Adrian Peterson to turn out?

Here are the first-round running backs since Thomas joined the league in 2007:

--2013: None

--2012: Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson

--2011: Mark Ingram

--2010: C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best

--2009: Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Chris Wells

--2008: Darren McFadden, Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Johnson

--2007: Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch

The best and most consistent and most dependable have been Peterson and Lynch -- but Lynch is successful with his second team, having been traded.

“You have to have soembody who’s a once-in-a-generation talent like Adrian Peterson to really be a difference maker in the game,” Thomas said. “But you get one Josh Gordon, you throw him a jump ball in triple coverage and he goes up and catches a touchdown, you win the game. That’s one guy, one play. He can do that three times in a game. Calvin Johnson. You can go down the list of guys like that who are game-changers. A.J. Green.

“You have to change the entire defense to try to take somebody like that out of the game. And the running game is so hard. Because first of all you have to have six, sometimes seven guys blocking perfectly up front. One mistake and it’s a tackle for a loss. So you have to have seven victories. And then you have to have a RB beat a safety. Today’s safeties are pretty good.”

Thomas also pointed out that offenses are getting more sophisticated at giving the quarterback the extra second he needs to make the throw. Colin Kaepernick’s fakes, he said, freeze a defense for a second.

It would also explain why the Browns have won games when they got good quarterback play and lost when they didn’t.

“That’s why you see quarterbacks, you see the value on those guys going through the roof,” he said. “Mid-level quarterbacks get $20 million a year year because they’re that important. And those receivers are going to start going that way, too.

“And the running backs, unfortunately for them they just don’t have a place in this game anymore like they used to.”

To the point that Thomas said he wouldn’t draft a running back in the first round.

The starting point for this conversation? Why did Thomas think Richardson did not work out in Cleveland?

“I’m not gonna throw stones at a guy that’s not on the team anymore,” Thomas said. “But it’s hard to say it didn’t work out because we got a first-round pick for him. So obviously someone thinks he’s pretty good. I think it comes down to production wasn’t great here, so they felt a first-round pick would be a good trade.

“And, I’m sure in today’s day and age, the value on running backs is down.”

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/99424/thomas-100-yard-runners-dont-win-games

I've been saying this for yrs.. RB's are a dime a dozen. Easily replaceable and why I've hated this trade from the get go.

Thank you.

1st of all -There is not a problem with T-Rich. People who complain about T-Rich appear to not have a clear understanding of how many people are necessary in order to run the ball successfully.

Our O-Line is in shambles - well - too dramatic - we'll say in transition. That is due to injuries, inexperience AND lack of ability.

Have you ever heard of something called RB Vision or Throwing a WR Open? They both loosely have to do with being able to make a read and then a reaction to how things will be in the immediate future. Both rely on being able to make a consistent read off of a consistent look. The key word is consistency. Right now our O-Line is not giving us much in terms of positive consistency.

They say many games are won in the trenches which means without consistency out of the O-Line many phases of the game plan will suffer. This is what is happening to us right now.

People act as if we put A Peterson back there somehow A Peterson will just run the ball all by himself. No - what makes A Peterson special is he can get yards against loaded boxes due to shaky QB play. But NEVER has there been question marks about MIN's OL.

T-Rich is just suffering from the same thing that has A Luck on his back and throwing more INT's lately. Its crazy because it is like we are being punished now for going 11-5 last year. those mid-draft OL could have been higher picks. But oh well.

In my opinion - the problems are being amplified by the system we are running. I believe the system will work - but changes need to be made with the injuries we have on offense. Teams are just sending a heavy pass rush overwhelming the O-Line - then playing aggressive pass coverage on 3rd down - we punt or worse.

I mean if we went to this system to protect Luck - and its not working - then spread it out and let Luck protect himself.  

You are my hero.  I mean, you can't put all the blame on the OL (or Pep for that matter).  He does make his fair share of mistakes.  But that is due in large part to the fact that, in addition to poor OL play, he was traded in season.  This isn't like the Vontae Davis trade where man coverage on 1 team is almost the same as man coverage on another team.  Cover 2 man on the Dolphins is Cover 2 man on the Colts.  There are some terminology differences, but switching running backs is a far more complex transition than a cornerback.  You just don't swap them and expect the same or better input overnight, especially with marginal OL play.

So I made a suggestion to the mods and we agreed that it'd be best to have a single thread dedicated to TRich throughout the entire season and have it pinned to the top in attempt to cut down on some of the clutter on what will likely be the hot-topic for the remainder of this season and the off-season. So if you have articles/thoughts/opinions/predictions post them to this thread. Thanks.

I am not a fan of this idea.

Why do we need one thread for a player?

People should have the option of creating a Trent Richardson thread just as they do a DHB or TY thread.

I don't speak out much about things like this, but this is a horrible call.

I am not a fan of this idea.

Why do we need one thread for a player?

People should have the option of creating a Trent Richardson thread just as they do a DHB or TY thread.

I don't speak out much about things like this, but this is a horrible call.

It was an attempt to organize the discussion as this particular topic is being created/recreated/and also derailing other topics

Post dissenting opinions here:  http://forums.colts.com/topic/22819-trent-richardson-threads/

He was picked third overall by the Browns for a reason. He has AP type of talent. Yes, he has made mistakes this year but the major factor is the offensive line isn't helping.

No...Adrian Peterson? Stop, just stop. At this point he is more Curtin Enis or Blair Thomas than Adrian Peterson, the comparison, well there is no comparing the two. Trent Richardson and Adrian Peterson were born on different planets, Peterson is a sure fire, 1st ballot hall of famer and Trent Richardson hasn't had more than 60 yards rushing in one game this season. His offensive totals have been worse and worse in 6 consecutive games. His total carries have gone down each week but one since he came to the Colts and it's clear the coaching staff knows he's hurting more than helping.