Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would love to see Peyton top 50 TDs this season

ponyboy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is true, but it is a small sample size, and thus can be skewed by locations . . . outside of the 5 SB appearances Brady has played 19 games and Peyton 18 games outside of the SBs and of course all of these are in the AFC . . .

Of Brady's 19 games, 14 where in Foxboro, 2 in Pitt, 1 Den, 1 SD and 1 Indy . . . so basically 17 of Brady's 19 AFC games have been played outside in cold weather environments . . . if you consider Den to be mild, then 16 were in cold weather environment  . . .

Of Manning's 18 AFC games 10 were in a dome, 5 in cold weather environments, one in Den, two warm weather  . . .

When you step back and look at two QBs performances indoors and outdoors, the fact that Brady is only behind Peyton by less than a point in your category is telling on the quality of his work . . .

I'll agree with you that Tom has played in more cold weather games than Peyton, but he has not played in 17 cold weather games. Anything above 40 is not cold, and Tom has only played in 10 games below 40, and he is nothing to write home about.

Outside of his lone start game against the Denver Tebows he has been crap.

With the Tebow game he has a 82 passer rating in cold weather, and without it he posts a 74 rating.

I think we all know neither Brady or Peyton are playing for records...just that one shinning moment...holding up that Lombardi...its been too long for both of them. The only reason Peyton is trying to throw a TD is to help his team win....no matter where on the field....you do what you do best...and that is throw for Denver. I don't understand most people on here arguing...everyone wants to win it all...everything else is secondary.

You think its impressive when a QB throws a ball 2 yards?  Half of his touchdowns were from little dump offs to extremely talented WRs who took the ball 99% of the way to the end zone.

It is what it is, and I've had your very own Colts fans agree that they're playing this year with a style of offense and play calling that makes it obvious they want the touchdown record.

I tend to read everything I write before I post it, so im not sure what you're getting at.  Records are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, records will always be broken but SUPER BOWL WINS last forever.

Manning is on pace with where Brady was at this point of the year in 2007, but the way they call their offensive plays I'm sure he'll continue his pace even as the weather gets bad.  He can have the TD record, lets see who's holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.

Well that was completely void of deep thought. But high comedy though so thanks for that.

When I look up stats on NFL.com, there is no dialong box that states whether a TD was impressive. So let me ask you, even if the act of throwing the 2 yards pass is not impressive, isn't getting the team in the right play so that measely little pass works for a score? And what's more is how funny this is coming from a Pats fan whose team has made a living off short passes. Does the uni Brady wears when throwing those TD's make them impressive?

Well that was completely void of deep thought. But high comedy though so thanks for that.

When I look up stats on NFL.com, there is no dialong box that states whether a TD was impressive. So let me ask you, even if the act of throwing the 2 yards pass is not impressive, isn't getting the team in the right play so that measely little pass works for a score? And what's more is how funny this is coming from a Pats fan whose team has made a living off short passes. Does the uni Brady wears when throwing those TD's make them impressive?

I think Brady last year was incredibly impressive, but a lot of those plays that he checked into were run plays.  They outscored the 2nd highest offense by over 100 points, so yea, I think Brady is impressive and has been for some time, but he'll make the call that is best strategically for the team and his passing TDs will suffer sometimes for that, which I know he cares zero about..  He cares about winning lombardi trophies.

Manning is having a great year . . . time will tell if he can get past 50 TDs . . . he has three tough games coming up and we will have a better idea after those games if he can keep pace for the record . . . it will also be interesting to see how many overall TDs the offense can produce . . .  I hope Brady can keep the record, I am not one of those "I rather have a ring instead" people . . .(like many have been saying on a pats forum)  for me records and rings are not a either or but an "and" I want to have both if possible . . . and I only really value a few records . . .

It would great if Brady could keep the record but if Manning, or likely another in a few years, breaks it, so be it . . .

I agree with the mutually exclusive part of this, but my lack of interest in records is kind of tied to the evolution of the game.

Back in the mid-80s, when Marino set the TD record and yardage record, he put up numbers that were just dizzying for that era of football. Nowadays, "adequate" QBs are expected to toss 30 TDs in a season. The 4,000 yard mark, once a benchmark for premium passers, is extremely diluted at this point. If Matthew Stafford, who is a very good but not great (IMO) QB, is throwing for 5,000 yards in consecutive seasons, isn't that an indication of the prominence of today's passing game? 

What would guys like Unitas and Baugh have done in today's NFL? Conversely, what type of numbers would Manning and Brady put up if they played in an earlier era? It's impossible to say, but the phrase "records are meant to be broken" rings true. Manning may throw for 60 TDs this year, but in five years, some up-and-comer will probably toss 65. (Maybe Luck?) 

The only constant for me is championships. It was hard to win them in the 50s and 60s, and it's hard to win them today. And while I appreciate individual accomplishments in sports, as a fan, there's nothing more thrilling than seeing your team win it all. 

It's entirely a subjective matter of course... this is just one slow-minded football fan's opinion.  ;)

Not denying your post but lots of discrediting of Brady up here too ....

There's a difference between making posts discussing Brady's perceived shortcomings this year or discussing QBs play this year and going into a thread about Peyton being on a record setting year and going "LOL PEYTON CHOKES, LOL oNly 1 championship trololololol" 

There's a difference between making posts discussing Brady's perceived shortcomings this year or discussing QBs play this year and going into a thread about Peyton being on a record setting year and going "LOL PEYTON CHOKES, LOL oNly 1 championship trololololol" 

Sure or how about all those GOAT threads where post-season is brought up and Manning's shortcomings or spygate. It is what it is.

One thing that has not been mentioned in regards to Manning this year that really needs to be stated and underlined is that he is having this season post four neck surgeries. I don't care what anyone says but that is impressive whether it is two yard TDs or 50 yard TDs. Colts left him for dead and he has come back with avengence. I will always admire his work ethic and competitiveness.

Not seeing eye-to-eye with you on this one. 

Regardless of whether you're talking about a bunch of long bombs or two-yard passes, any QB who throws 40+ TDs in a season has had an impressive year. I watched the Patriots lose to the Bengals a few weeks back while having LOTS of trouble trying to punch it in from (around) two yards out, either on the ground or via the pass. All QBs also benefit from plays where they make an easy throw and the receiver does the rest. 

I also seriously doubt that "we need to break the single-season TD record for QBs" has come up in any offensive meetings this year for Denver! I know you're probably half-kidding about that, but people here will take you literally, lol... 

What might do the Broncos in... stress on "might"... is that they play what has traditionally been a "soft" style of offense. Every so often those teams still win it all, but usually the one-dimensional aspect of it and their inability to win a street fight is what does them in. It's why the Patriots lost two Super Bowls to the Giants, but it's also why that rag-tag 2001 Patriots team upset the Rams. When your game is based on timing and precision, teams will beat you up to try to disrupt those things. And if the opposing team is good enough to do it, more often than not it works.

I also think that Denver defense is a major liability and that will hurt their chances. 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a Patriots fan and a Brady guy through-and-through, but credit where it's due... Manning's having a monster year. I'd rather see the Patriots win another Super Bowl. And it would be almost fitting if that happens the same year that Manning breaks Brady's 50-TD record. 

This post is another example of why I like and respect you so much.

While you may slip at times ;); for the most part, I have always found your posts to be objective and void of pot stirring, back-handed compliments, and little jabs that are meant to irritate.

It's Patriot fans like you who may actually . . . someday . . . maybe . . . make me feel like cheering for the Patriots once again like I did when they played the Rams in that SB. 

I think Brady last year was incredibly impressive, but a lot of those plays that he checked into were run plays.  They outscored the 2nd highest offense by over 100 points, so yea, I think Brady is impressive and has been for some time, but he'll make the call that is best strategically for the team and his passing TDs will suffer sometimes for that, which I know he cares zero about..  He cares about winning lombardi trophies.

I see Manning and Brady switch to run plays all the time...I've also seen them both switch to pass plays. You have a qb throw the ball all day moving it down the field at will and then get to the goal line and suddenly because YOU say its cheap they should switch to running. Sure. No one on that field is focused on records other than W/L records...you don't have time to think of those things and if you are you are going to get smacked back into reality. I don't get the perceived arguement of some of his throws are short...I've seen Brady live off throwing short screens to Welker and dump offs to his running backs. I saw PM do the same...especially in the SB run....and many people have seen him more than willingly hand it off more than we would like to an inadequate running game later here in Indy. 2 yrd pass that works or 50 yd it is still up to him to execute and call the right play at the right time...same as Tom. And to discredit TDs because of their distance is ludicris. Lets take away all of LTs one yard plunges during his record setting season...or any other RBs because well that is cheap...they should have just handed it to the FB right? I also seem to remember Peyton pulling a nifty little bootleg against Dallas too...so he is willing to do whatever is necessary to WIN...just like Tom. We have seen both of them play through some grueling injuries too...so to me to question someone like thats character or reasons for playing or throwing as about just the stats...seems very simple minded. I think someones passions (of dislike or love of their own guy) is clouding their thinking. Peyton may not break the record...but he is only doing it to win games...and to say otherwise is foolish. Oh...and its pretty impressive to see what he is doing because it isn't like he has a strong defense getting him the ball back..or taking the pressure off....every drive has a great deal of stress because he knows he needs to score to win...thats a ton of pressure..and he has executed so far. I do feel that will take its toll eventually and I have my doubts that Denver can win it all because they need everyone OL, DEF, RBs to all step up and help out Peyton....and I'm not sure they will do it.

I see Manning and Brady switch to run plays all the time...I've also seen them both switch to pass plays. You have a qb throw the ball all day moving it down the field at will and then get to the goal line and suddenly because YOU say its cheap they should switch to running. Sure. No one on that field is focused on records other than W/L records...you don't have time to think of those things and if you are you are going to get smacked back into reality. I don't get the perceived arguement of some of his throws are short...I've seen Brady live off throwing short screens to Welker and dump offs to his running backs. I saw PM do the same...especially in the SB run....and many people have seen him more than willingly hand it off more than we would like to an inadequate running game later here in Indy. 2 yrd pass that works or 50 yd it is still up to him to execute and call the right play at the right time...same as Tom. And to discredit TDs because of their distance is ludicris. Lets take away all of LTs one yard plunges during his record setting season...or any other RBs because well that is cheap...they should have just handed it to the FB right? I also seem to remember Peyton pulling a nifty little bootleg against Dallas too...so he is willing to do whatever is necessary to WIN...just like Tom. We have seen both of them play through some grueling injuries too...so to me to question someone like thats character or reasons for playing or throwing as about just the stats...seems very simple minded. I think someones passions (of dislike or love of their own guy) is clouding their thinking. Peyton may not break the record...but he is only doing it to win games...and to say otherwise is foolish. Oh...and its pretty impressive to see what he is doing because it isn't like he has a strong defense getting him the ball back..or taking the pressure off....every drive has a great deal of stress because he knows he needs to score to win...thats a ton of pressure..and he has executed so far. I do feel that will take its toll eventually and I have my doubts that Denver can win it all because they need everyone OL, DEF, RBs to all step up and help out Peyton....and I'm not sure they will do it.

well said

I doubt he sets records, I doubt he cares about them, I am sure he wants to just win in any manner he can and will throw or Run it in depending on what he feels is best chance and what he thinks defense is more susceptible at the time

I also said to someone that discredits a 4 yard pas that JT turns into a 74 yard TD or the short screen to Moreno Or Dt that has a few times f gone for a 35 yard TD's , well who is figuring out the play to call and the protection schemes for those players to get to that endzone, Hey all that mind work means u still get credit and more to me

I only care that Peyton doesnt as not mike Golic , but other mike of mike  and mike in morning has said this week that he doesnt think Peyton will last the season , actualy he said wont last the 2 KC games

i just care he stays healthy and plays his best, and his best usually means he wins and thats what he wants for his team, So Peyton do what u do best and dont care about records , we as fans may like them, but thats not what matters in the end , wining the games do and thats what fans should care about, any record that may happen along the way is just a bonus

While you may slip at times ;); for the most part, I have always found your posts to be objective and void of pot stirring, back-handed compliments, and little jabs that are meant to irritate.

It's Patriot fans like you who may actually . . . someday . . . maybe . . . make me feel like cheering for the Patriots once again like I did when they played the Rams in that SB. 

Thank you my dear, you're one of the good ones... always have been, always will be!  :thmup:

Maybe he'll break it, who knows? I know that down the stretch in 2007, defenses started catching up with the Patriots a little bit and other things started to factor in (injuries, weather, etc)

. I've been saying for a while that their offense will inevitably slow down a bit as the season progresses. That's been true so far. 

As a Pats fan I'd gladly "give back" the TD record if the outcome of that last game had been different.

Manning has more than enough individual awards and accomplishments to contribute to his legacy..

. I'm sure he's legitimately much more focused on just winning than keeping track of his own stats.

At this point in his career he's playing for another shot at a title and that's pretty much it. 

but of course on all points

Fantastic. I didn't think I would get to break out the love emoticons today .... :kitty:  :flowers:  :luv:  :heart:  :heart:

Fantastic. I didn't think I would get to break out the love emoticons today .... :kitty:  :flowers:  :luv:  :heart:  :heart:

:thinking:  Now that I think about it, the last time I can recall you using those emoticons in response to me was when I complimented Dynasty, another Patriot fan.

I'm going to have to try to remember to do that more often since it puts you in such a lovey, dovey mood. 

Third, if Manning plays the rest of the season, I think he will get close to 55 TDs even with the tough schedule looming. That being said, and this is no slight on Manning or this Broncos team, but they are not in the same class as the ’07 Pats. Brady did not only throw the record 50 TDs, he also set the single receiver record with Moss at 23. And both records fell on the same TD pass to beat the Giants in NY the final game of the season securing the only 16-0 record in NFL history. The 50 TDs were more of a side note to a historical season that produced the best point differential in NFL history. And of course that team never sat in second place in its division with the threat of being a wild card.

Youre right. This broncos team is in a class above. Manning has 3 receivers with 9 td a piece. He very well could get two 1000 yd receivers too. This team isnt relying on just one person to make the td's. They have nearly 4 legitimate threats on the field at all times thst can make a td on any play. To say that the 07 pats are as good as this broncos team is crazy.

Oh and just cause two people set the qb/receiver td season record doesnt make them a better team or even offense. Thats actually more credit to what moss did than what brady did.

:thinking:  Now that I think about it, the last time I can recall you using those emoticons in response to me was when I complimented Dynasty, another Patriot fan.

I'm going to have to try to remember to do that more often since it puts you in such a lovey, dovey mood. 

I do love the love emoticons. It is nice also to see such complimentary posts up here.

Youre right. This broncos team is in a class above. Manning has 3 receivers with 9 td a piece. He very well could get two 1000 yd receivers too. This team isnt relying on just one person to make the td's. They have nearly 4 legitimate threats on the field at all times thst can make a td on any play. To say that the 07 pats are as good as this broncos team is crazy.

Oh and just cause two people set the qb/receiver td season record doesnt make them a better team or even offense. Thats actually more credit to what moss did than what brady did.

We can agree to disagree. Brady's entire receiving corp was unbelievable. No weakness with Moss. Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney who was the fourth option. But my overall comment was not just the O but the team. The 07 Pats D was top 5 while its O was historic. This 2013 Broncos team is terrible defensively and that will probably cost them come playoffs. Still, Manning's season if he is able to finish it out will be one for the record books as well.

We can agree to disagree. Brady's entire receiving corp was unbelievable. No weakness with Moss. Welker, Stallworth and Gaffney who was the fourth option. But my overall comment was not just the O but the team. The 07 Pats D was top 5 while its O was historic. This 2013 Broncos team is terrible defensively and that will probably cost them come playoffs. Still, Manning's season if he is able to finish it out will be one for the record books as well.

I really dont buy this whole new craze about the Broncos D not being any good.  The Broncos D has been top notch for years now, including the Tebow days, and they have only added talent to that D.

Defensive stats can be very misleading, especially when its on a team that has a high scoring offense.  If you have a high scoring aerial attack offense, other teams are going to have to go into full air attack mode to have a chance and keep up, which lowers the passing defense numbers.

Patriots last year were one of the worst defenses in the league according to the stats, but they outscored the 2nd highest offense by over 100 points.  This year they're a top 10 defense and the offense is struggling and not putting up nearly the same points.

One hand washes the other

Shecolt remembers me from the early-early days... it wasn't always bouquet-tossing and group hugs, believe me! LOL... there were a couple of posters on the old board (GSmack, Phil) who were always up for a good old fashioned smackfest. 

But, like Rocky and Apollo... once bitter rivals... we've gotten past our differences and developed a mutual and sincere respect.  ;)

(Plus I'm not as much of an *** as I used to be, lol...) 

Personally, I'd just like to see Andrew throw a TD pass sometime soon.

Forget those other two old has been gunslingers...

Those runs are pretty darn good though. You can almost see what he's thinking... "Hmm, not open... nope, not open... hmmm, not open either. OK screw it, I'll do it myself guys." 

I really dont buy this whole new craze about the Broncos D not being any good.  The Broncos D has been top notch for years now, including the Tebow days, and they have only added talent to that D.

Defensive stats can be very misleading, especially when its on a team that has a high scoring offense.  If you have a high scoring aerial attack offense, other teams are going to have to go into full air attack mode to have a chance and keep up, which lowers the passing defense numbers.

Patriots last year were one of the worst defenses in the league according to the stats, but they outscored the 2nd highest offense by over 100 points.  This year they're a top 10 defense and the offense is struggling and not putting up nearly the same points.

One hand washes the other

Have you watched Denver this year? Their D is terrible and their rankings are probably as high as it is because Manning has gotten them the lead in almost every game. I can see another average QB dropping 31 again on them like Flacco did last year in the post-season.

Oh for heaven's sakes...

So what is the inference - that Manning is more about personal stats over wins and trophies?

Have you watched Denver this year? Their D is terrible and their rankings are probably as high as it is because Manning has gotten them the lead in almost every game. I can see another average QB dropping 31 again on them like Flacco did last year in the post-season.

Since the return of Von Miller...Denver's 'D' has been much more effective..

.......The pass rush has boosted the pass defense and few teams have run on them

who's got a great defense in the AFC

Every once in a while the Colts have a top 5 defense or a bottom 5 defense in my honest opinion.

Just depends on what mood they are in during any given week..... :panic:  :slaphead:

Of the AFC contenders, the Chiefs have the best D. But, I guess we'll see soon how for real they are and all.

Ah ok. See i was taking it in the context of just the receiving corp and qb. Was trying to stay more in line with the OP's topic. You are not wrong about the team as a whole.

Every once in a while the Colts have a top 5 defense or a bottom 5 defense in my honest opinion.

Just depends on what mood they are in during any given week..... :panic: :slaphead:

Of the AFC contenders, the Chiefs have the best D. But, I guess we'll see soon how for real they are and all.

They do have a good D. But so far only agsinst sub .500 teams and 2nd/3rd string QB's. Looking forward to our game against them and the broncos.

Shecolt remembers me from the early-early days... it wasn't always bouquet-tossing and group hugs, believe me! LOL... there were a couple of posters on the old board (GSmack, Phil) who were always up for a good old fashioned smackfest.

But, like Rocky and Apollo... once bitter rivals... we've gotten past our differences and developed a mutual and sincere respect. ;)

(Plus I'm not as much of an *** as I used to be, lol...)

Just stop that EJ. Had me wretching all over my porridge right there. I also remember those 04/05 days on the old forum. You and Dynasty and JJ were very naughty boys for a while, until that great Colts victory up in Foxoboro one cold Monday night....

Ah ok. See i was taking it in the context of just the receiving corp and qb. Was trying to stay more in line with the OP's topic. You are not wrong about the team as a whole.

Yes but the 2007 Pats had a better receiving core with an in prime Moss and Welker along with Stallworth and Gaffney who like I said was the fourth option. Something also to consider that 2007 Pats team played one of the toughest schedules in league history beating eight playoff teams and setting the record not only for points scored but also best point differential. Now compare that to Denver's cupcake schedule this year....

Again, Manning's year will go down as something special if he finishes off the season healthy. But not in the same league as the 2007 Pats.

Yes but the 2007 Pats had a better receiving core with an in prime Moss and Welker along with Stallworth and Gaffney who like I said was the fourth option. Something also to consider that 2007 Pats team played one of the toughest schedules in league history beating eight playoff teams and setting the record not only for points scored but also best point differential. Now compare that to Denver's cupcake schedule this year....

Again, Manning's year will go down as something special if he finishes off the season healthy. But not in the same league as the 2007 Pats.

Ill give you moss but the welkers cancel out. I dont think gaffney and stallworth are nearly as good as the two thomas's anf decker.

And again. Were focusing on offense your bringin in the whole team.

Yes but the 2007 Pats had a better receiving core with an in prime Moss and Welker along with Stallworth and Gaffney who like I said was the fourth option. Something also to consider that 2007 Pats team played one of the toughest schedules in league history beating eight playoff teams and setting the record not only for points scored but also best point differential. Now compare that to Denver's cupcake schedule this year....

Moss > Thomas

Welker = Welker

Decker > Stallworth

Orange Julius > Watson and Gaffney combined.

Moreno > Marooney

Denver has the better receivig corps by far. The only argumwnt you could make is that Moss is so much better than everyone else that it cancels out Decker and Julius.