Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Call up Da'Rick Rogers

BlueCollarColts

Why does everyone think that Rogers can help this team right away?

There's a reason he's on the practice squad, and that reason is: HE'S NOT READY! 

He will not help this team if they call him up. 

People think you can just step in, run a route, and catch the ball. The kid has obviously struggled to pick up the system. I assume in the Colts offense, the WRs probably have to know every WR position. They also need to be able to read defenses and run the correct route. He spends his days running other teams plays......has to make it a little more difficult to learn our offense. 

That being said, I would like him to be moved up simply to start taking reps with the 53 in practice. Whalen is making some nice plays, but obviously has a lot to learn as well. An experienced receiver would have picked up the first down on his first catch. Instead, he spun the wrong way and was stopped 2 yards short. Last week, he ran a pick play that was absolutely worthless. He does have good hands and seems to find the gaps in the defense. 

If they don't get Rodgers called up soon, it isn't going to happen this season. He has no timing with Luck. One more receiver gets injured and he might get his day. I have seen enough of Reed bringing the ball out of the endzone though.....ready to move on from him.

andrew can just tell him the play,DHB doesn't really runs complex routes, - " hey man, just run 10 yards, turn around and the ball will hit you in the numbers",

the thing is.. maybe Da'Rick will use his hands, DHB just lets it hit literally his numbers..

Are you serious? QB explaining the plays called to a wr...... rotflmao

How in the world is there people saying we shouldn't take a shot at Da'Rick? Just watching him play in college has me convinced he is 10x more capable of catching balls than DHB. Da'Rick had some of the best hands in college football, he's big and physical, will fight for the ball in the air and extra yardage. I love the guy, but this is the exact reason I wish Griggs wouldn't have pulled the trigger on TRich. We could've sent our 2nd for Gordon and still have our 1st pick.

I would like to see him,he cant do any worse than a few wr's that are playing terrible now. I also think the team thought the other wr's would be doing far better than the pathetic play that has been,except ty.

Yeah, giant disappointment to find out you only had 2 WRs who could play the game, and one of them is on IR.

I am glad we took a chance on Rogers, I was in favor of drafting him late.  But, bringing him up now will not help us; if anything it may hurt Rogers development to try to bring him in before he is ready/comfortable.  I don't think in his case he is just learning the playbook, he also learning what it takes to be, prepare, and perform like a pro (which is why I believe he was cut by Buf), and I don't think being "thrown in the fire" will help that process.

I would much rather wait until we have a healthy Reggie and TY on the field next year to bring him in so he has a better chance at having some early success without all the pressure to perform at a high level immediately.

A few thoughts on this topic:

1. It's popular to say Rodgers doesn't know the play book, based on a tweet he sent stating that the play book was "for real." David Reed played receiver today. He's been here about as long as Rodgers. We're not talking about rocket science. I'm sure Rodgers knows enough to play, if Reed has learned in the same amount of time.

2. Griff Whalen new the play book and went from the PS to the 53, back to the PS and now back onto the 53. Knowing the play book isn't the only reason coaches make their decisions, it seems.

3. DHB has been outplayed by Griff Whalen. In the last two games that Griff has played, he's been the second best receiver outside of T.Y. Hilton. He had 3 catches for 30 yards vs. texans and 3 for 36 today. DHB had 1-11 and 3-30 in those same games.

4. So anyone saying that a guy from the practice squad cannot come In here and perform better than those who we already have would be proven wrong by Griff as an example, because he's played better than DHB and Brazill, all who were ahead of him on the depth chart.

5. Let's not forget that T-rich also came in and played right away with about 4 days of practice. I know it's a different position entirely, but it does allude to the play book not being such an obstacle for Rodgers to get a chance to play.

6. If the coaches have missed on Whalen and have opted to start DHB and Brazill ahead of him, then it's possible that they are overlooking Rodgers too.

If you really are serious about Rodgers playing then you put him out there on a set number of plays that are designed for him and see if he can produce, from there you increase those plays the more he gets comfortable in the playbook and offense

A few thoughts on this topic:

1. It's popular to say Rodgers doesn't know the play book, based on a tweet he sent stating that the play book was "for real." David Reed played receiver today. He's been here about as long as Rodgers. We're not talking about rocket science. I'm sure Rodgers knows enough to play, if Reed has learned in the same amount of time.

2. Griff Whalen new the play book and went from the PS to the 53, back to the PS and now back onto the 53. Knowing the play book isn't the only reason coaches make their decisions, it seems.

3. DHB has been outplayed by Griff Whalen. In the last two games that Griff has played, he's been the second best receiver outside of T.Y. Hilton. He had 3 catches for 30 yards vs. texans and 3 for 36 today. DHB had 1-11 and 3-30 in those same games.

4. So anyone saying that a guy from the practice squad cannot come In here and perform better than those who we already have would be proven wrong by Griff as an example, because he's played better than DHB and Brazill, all who were ahead of him on the depth chart.

5. Let's not forget that T-rich also came in and played right away with about 4 days of practice. I know it's a different position entirely, but it does allude to the play book not being such an obstacle for Rodgers to get a chance to play.

6. If the coaches have missed on Whalen and have opted to start DHB and Brazill ahead of him, then it's possible that they are overlooking Rodgers too.

1 & 2) Rogers is probably working on other things besides just the playbook on the practice squad. Of course there are other reasons besides knowing the playbook to be on the PS.

3) Griff is not asked to do the same thing as DHB, and does not bring some of DHB's other skills to the table.

4) See #3

5) - The learning curve of WR compared to RB are so different there is almost not a comparison.  Some WRs don't even start getting in a groove until the time it takes many RBs careers to be half over.

- TRich is not a rookie with maturity issues.

- We brought Trich in with expectation to play and contribute immediately and have no choice but to keep TRich on active roster regardless of how he performs or how much of the playbook he has learned.

6) Yes, its possible, but again see #3

9 times out of 10, the unknown is more intriguing then the known.

On many teams by far the most popular player with fans is the backup QB (normally until he gets to play in a couple of games).  The coaches see all the training sessions, have more tape than the fans and know what they were trying to achieve on each play - if they think there is improvement by promoting somebody to the first string or benching somebody they know a lot more than the average fan.

I get the post   The issue we have now is TY Hilton is the only real threat.  DHB can't seem to catch a ball.   Teams will double TY and what do we have then?  The question you have to ask is would Rogers be any worse then DHB?  I don't know if a wooden indian could be worse.

Actually since dhb can't catch teams might let him run wide open and triple team hilton.